Project Player Interview #5: Mr. Aldo

Feliburn

is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
RU Leader

Art by Kalalokki

Mr. Aldo
Favorite Pokemon: Aggron

Most used Pokemon: Virizion

Most known for: Being one of the biggest contributors RU has ever seen, playing in official tours and having really cool looking builds all around

My next journey would send me to New Jersey to meet with my agent, however there were some miscalculations and I ended up in Panama.

Now I am broke and have to beg for money to afford a ticket to my original destination, but oh well, no better time to check out the canal and meet new people.

On my way there I spot a few people playing football in a park, where it goes to penalties. After the goalkeeper blocks a shot, the shooter, livid, storms off screaming: "Block me ever again and I will S L A P you" and leaves in a quite respectful way.

My felisenses were tingling, I had to interview this dude, so I rushed after him...

Hey aldo, how is it going?

Doing ok, could be better but cant complain really
How about u?

Doing alright, thanks for asking sir
Been reminiscing due to all these interviews, so obviously your name also crossed my mind as one person I'd like to know more about
Would you explain to me who exactly is MrAldoPls?

MrAldoPls was the first name I ever used when on PS! I registered on smogon the MrAldo name with no problem but then I learned soon enough on PS! that getting some names is tough business and MrAldo wasnt available at the time, used by someone else. So had to settle for something quick. I tried GoodMrAldo, MrAldoNumbers but looked silly. Cant say pls doesnt look silly but I liked it so I used it until I could ger MrAldo

And what was the origin of the entire "MrAldo" thing?

There is quite a stort behind it. I have been on the hobby of "internet travelling" for many years now, like 12 years since I went around mugen forums and I always used Goodaldo cause despite my youth I always found names like Xx_DBGod_xX13 to be silly looking. Many years passed and I discovered smogon at the start of XY, as an adult, so I thought portraying the image of an old internet guy was suitable cause it is true, plenty of experience going through different websites and stuff. In the end just used the Mr then my shortname cause it looked simple and cool, the rest just went on.

Interesting, mind telling me about yourself?

Yeah, sure. 26 years old man living in Panama, living with the family cause boy living alone fucking sucks, and thankfully a job to earn some money for myself, close to a year in it. I have the mind of a curious collector, saving interesting stuff I can find and learning a bit of everything without even knowing if it would be useful one day but boy... it is so entertaining to me to learn something I didnt know, you would see me jump from cars and mechanic to pre-renaissance literature in a blink of a eye but I cherish every bit of information I can learn. Im a loner, not afraid of being alone and dont depend of anybody to go anywhere and despite me being pretty anti-social I dont see an issue in going somewhere with someone of trust (a friend, family). And I LOVE Fighting games, best genre ever, that I enjoy playing a lot, and been surfing through the internet for many years so it is a favorite thing. I also really love sports by playing and talking about them. Football/Soccer, Baseball, you name it.

Ah another fighting game lover, what's your favorite game? Also favorite football team?

Being a fighting game enthusiast you really gotta keep up with the times but thankfully the fighting game selections are phenomenal. Right now I like Dragon Ball FighterZ and really digging the recent Samurai Shodown. Other fighting games I enjoy a lot to this day and consider favorites are: King of Fighters 98, SvC: Chaos, King of Fighters 2000, Street Fighter Alpha 2 and Street Fighter 3; Third Strike, Samurai Shodown 4, and Capcom vs SNK 1 Pro.
Favorite football team would be Barcelona FC, for countries besides mine would be Brazil

Hella epic and generic, like me rofl
So when did your love for pokemon in general started growing?

To be honest, when I discovered PS! Im not into wi-fi battles much tbh, they can be tacky and god forbid you disconnected for some reason. I always liked strategies and competitive but getting those is a hassle (either legally or illegally) so when I discovered you could just pick the mons and a webpage could do the rest I went super in into the hobby, and the rest is history

I see, and how did u stumble across PS?

If I am honest, I cant really recall exactly how. I was looking for some news about XY, then with that I looked at serebii then there somewhere mentioned and somehow connecting the pieces I found PS! My first team had a chandelure, a deoxys speed, and a noivern

Classic noob using legends
How did you end up in RU?

Massive tryhard from the beginning, lol.
Well, I ended in RU thanks to a friend that sadly retired a while ago. His name was the bravest birds and he was pretty good at it so he invited me to give it a try. Posted a team for a teambuilding competition on forums, interacted in chat and the chat had a cozyness UU didnt offer with Leer and compant being hella cool, I just stayed and will most likely keep staying.

Yeah I remember bravest birds
How has your RU experience been? You are known for always being a workhorse and taking care of a lot projects, a bit less as of lately

The RU experience have been very nice tbh. The community albeit small, is very close so that had made easier to satisfy most people instead of trying to reinvent the wheel and contributing was always a joy cause I do what I can to project the best possible image of the metagame I can provide. My tour outbreak is very recent and I am glad people didnt pressure me to do fine, altho could have done a lot better if I pressured myself a bit more, so I will try to work on my questionable plays to improve and bring a better image to the table. I love being part of this community so this snake, if I get drafted, I will do what I can to improve the record.
You can be a workhorse when you have time but not as much lately due to irl responsibilities. Still doing what I can to keep most stuff active (rip ru cores tho)

RIP never remembered thread
So you plan on playing in snake? Who else do you expect to get in?

Absolutely, went 3-4 without much prep in mind so I think if I put more of my mind on it I can end up positive, I will do my best to make that happen. Ajna and Nat are 200% in, they are the image of competitive RU at this point. I think alpha rabbit is an excellent pick for a starter, one of the few that defeated kw and builds his own stuff so that is always an advantage (and excellent builds too) for any manager. The rest is a tossup tbh, since it doesnt depend on me but the perception of the managers. Think Averardo, the leprechaun and roman deserve a serious shot for fresh slots. Yjh is very solid too but I think he is a given from previous tour experience.
Durza... durza can be a very good asset given he keeps his cool but thats a gamble, dunno if many managers would like having someone that volatile, but if he keeps himself in check he would be a remarkable sub or even a starter depending of the pool. Bouff could be cool for him to see him back, he has been doing cool. Do you remember that Feliburn guy? Yeah, it could be cool for him to get picked again. UltraBallz is on the same boat as Yjh, and Arifeen could get in assuming he gets back on his groove. Z+V could have been a thing if he didnt shoot himself in the foot but oh well

Interesting take
What do you think about the current metagame?

The current metagame is very compressed but still rather balanced where you can pull off a different variety of mons well enough. However, it is far from perfect. Its current state makes it a bulky offense vs bulky offense fest which makes other choices risky. HO can work fine but balance... boy, balance took a huge hit. Too many good breakers to reliably check all of them
But overall I think it does a good amount of things right, there are very decent glues finally but still not good enough like gligar or doublade (I miss doublade A LOT) but overall I think it is pretty good and it a better state than other metas, not so stale and not so frustrating. Id give it a 7/10

Thoughts on Salazzle?

In my eyes, the only S rank right now. Incredible speed, excellent typing to grab setup opportunities despite its typing, packs a punch and can cover a huge portion of the metagame by itself which makes it a super-effective wallbreaker, and easily the best scarfer. A premier pokemon that gets many things right, the nasty plot set is one of the scariest mons to face by RU standards, and something that you always need to keep in mind, THE titan of this generation without a doubt imo

Yea ofc u'd say that mr I wont ban lazzle cause it beats stall
Would you mind dropping a team that represents your style and explain the process behind it?

Man, I dont know what to put here LOL Gimme a moment

:angry:

My bad, been having some serious teambuilding block that I hope I can shake off in time for the tour and tbh not really satisfied with something to showcase, but here I got something

This is pretty much how I see the metagame, possibility of niche mons paired with well established and really good pokemon, which is what makes teambuilding on this such a hassle since many things are needed so many things end up looking same-y, it is possible to vary quite a bit but that requires investing some time in order to reflect on all options, something that I cant sadly do due to this block
But anyways, lets not get too depressed. Espeon! I like this mon despite the shitmon reputation it has. Outspeed virizion is huge and having an electric nuke is phenomenal where many teams arent well packed for strong psychic + electric coverage since the psychic resists end up being metagross or mandibuzz, all demolished by +1 electrium. Virizion is a no brainer and an excellent partner to Espeon for the resistances and LO SD is much more dangerous initially in terms of power. The rest is pretty much bulky offense in a nutshell, defog mandi isnt my favorite cookie in the jar but paired with magic bounce on espeon is workable. Gastrodon is a fine pick that I gotta thank EviGaro for showing to the masses, interesting mon that checks many annoying things in one package like Mega Blastoise which is important given the virizion has no synthesis.
Last 2 are no brainers, Metagross is a mon that I dont put on the regard of a S rank but I would lie if I say something does the things better than him atm (which is kind of sad) but I end up using stealth rock much more than banded or any other set for whatever (and I didnt want to put another team with diancie on the front) but Occa Berry is a nice set to help with Salazzle/Ninetales which can be really annoying to face. Lastly, Scarf Salazzle is the best scarfer in terms on what it has to offer. Nice speed, efficient coverage, and just revenge kills most things I need to. Isnt perfect by any means, but I always believe that in order to not get bored of the meta you gotta make some compromises... cause in the end the one that makes the meta stale arent the pokemon, are us.
Always try to keep things fresh, and it feels much more reward than trying to always pull off the same Goli Meta Donphan bulky offense and what not. Linoone going away helped a lot in providing more freedom but still I invite to be a bit more ballsy with their options, which is something I always respect from other builders like EviGaro and col49.

Dope looking, I used to be an Espeon stan myself
Are there any players you look up to? And any new faces you have noticed are on the grow lately?

In terms of building, I admire what EviGaro and col49 can come up with. The sand team she pulled for spl was phenomenal, I peeled my eyes the first time I saw that and col49 is definitely the best in seeing all the options and making the best use of the niche of some mon, and I like how crazy the combination of MoP and alpha rabbit. In terms of battling... no one really, I know I gotta improve on many aspects of my gameplay but Im stubborn and will do stuff my day. Gotta have more of a competitive drive, thats for sure, and I will grab some inspiration for that.
New faces... mmm, well we gotta divide this in new potential tour faces and community faces. For tour faces, we covered this before but to recap, Averardo, roman, and the leprechaun (he really isnt new per say you know) deserve a serious shot at bigger tournies. In terms of new community faces people like dbw, bkdrew, ponyo, among others (excuse me if I cant remember all names) are really welcome additions to the community that I hope stay for a while. JustoonSmiths too! They can be a bit annoying but please... thats part of the package, and Im glad they are like that to keep things active and they remain interested in the meta. You are doing great boys, you main not notice but we do appreciate you all.

Any last comments for the fans?

Well, thanks a lot to the interview and for taking the time, and I hope to keep seeing everyone soon. I know Im not going anywhere soon enough. Thanks a lot to the community and hope everyone have a blessed rest of the month and year
Cheers!

No problem, thanks for your time

=========================================================================================

Feel free to ask MrAldo any questions you want!

If you have any reccomendations I'll be more than happy to read them, just PM me!

Next time on FeliInterviews...

cyanize

Mantra Good I Casted So Many Spells U Idiot
is a Community Contributor
hi aldo ur cool

favorite ru meta? both during (u)sm and as a whole

any advice for aspiring builders who don't feel like their builds/techs ever seem to stick? any particular mentality or method that you use when building that you'd recommend?

EviGaro

is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
RU Leader
who do you fucking hate on smogon

Thoughts on oras? I see Feli let the fact that he too was a ORAS RU MAIN slide, but beyond the block craze, do you think this meta still has innovation to give? If so, how and what changes to the meta post end of oras made them possible?

Give me a mon to build around help

Can you elaborate a bit more on snake? You have a good perspective of the pool so it would be nice to have another public. Also where do you see yourself in it?

Why is Virizion not S rank and why are the people who say it is are wrong?

Why is Bruxish not freed? How would you build around it to prove it suffered an injustice? I tried but I used Hitmonchan so like. And as a general, why are offensive waters so meh in this meta when the best one really doesn't have the sheer offensive impact that they would have and, in theory, would overwhelm Blastoise prepped builds?

MrAldo

Hey
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
when did your hate for trapping started?

most underrated and overrated mon?

favourite ru discord emote?
Around ORAS when dugtrio was around. I despised that post mega steelix meta with a passion thanks to dugtrio and the arena trap shenanigans. Just too much, block and shadow tag where just the icing of the cake.

Underrated... Id say Mega Abomasnow. The snowman havent disappointed me yet, SD and mixed are cash sets. Overrated... mmm, tricky question, bit if you ask me I think pokemon like Registeel are overrated. It is effective but it is too highly rated on a metagame where it doesnt really fit that well on the dominant archetype. I personally dont see why it is highly regarded still when the team archetypes it fits better on isnt even that good to begin with. Idk, many others things deserve A+ rank besides it imo. I think Toxicroak is rated a bit high too.

On the RU Discord? It is a tie between mewton and feelsslurmz. In general, Id go with tympole tho

hi aldo ur cool

favorite ru meta? both during (u)sm and as a whole

any advice for aspiring builders who don't feel like their builds/techs ever seem to stick? any particular mentality or method that you use when building that you'd recommend?
Ty ty

ORAS Mega Steelix Meta has to be my favorite meta ever, I felt like a king building and playing that. Wasnt really too much of a fan in SM even tho I miss balance being good and having kommo-o around, but in terms of USM I liked the metagame during spl pre-mega toise and mandibuzz and this one without linoone which is nice tbh.

The best advice is to always stick to your guns, ask for someone else perspective since that can help broaden your horizon on how to approach building, and persistence. Third one is pretty important to not give up on a mon you see an actual niche to work with. And always make sure to not cause your building to be stale, it is ok to be weak to some stuff!

It was a very good interview, I started the RU by watching your snake games from last year, you were an inspiration in my first builds

What is your favorite bird ?

What is your favorite pokémon in RU ?
Awww, you are going to make me blush... omg

Mmm, thats a tough question cause I pretty much like all the birds! But I had to choose, I would select the secretary bird

https://justbirding.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/secretary-bird-stomping-on-snake.jpg This bird is so badass and it is a queen.

Favorite to use in RU is certainly Virizion, Favorite in terms of looks and how much I like the mon... tough one, I think we really have an extremely cool selection of mons, but if I had to choose a mon I blindly trust and always try to make work is Lycanroc-Dusk

when are we all gonna play gartic again :psygrump:
Man, I miss those gartic sessions dearly, finally having a job has made time difficult :( but I will have a week of vacation from work so sign me in for one or a good couple from 10th to 18th of August!

who do you fucking hate on smogon

Thoughts on oras? I see Feli let the fact that he too was a ORAS RU MAIN slide, but beyond the block craze, do you think this meta still has innovation to give? If so, how and what changes to the meta post end of oras made them possible?

Give me a mon to build around help

Can you elaborate a bit more on snake? You have a good perspective of the pool so it would be nice to have another public. Also where do you see yourself in it?

Why is Virizion not S rank and why are the people who say it is are wrong?

Why is Bruxish not freed? How would you build around it to prove it suffered an injustice? I tried but I used Hitmonchan so like. And as a general, why are offensive waters so meh in this meta when the best one really doesn't have the sheer offensive impact that they would have and, in theory, would overwhelm Blastoise prepped builds?
If Im honest, I dont hate anybody at this point. If I did I have gotten over it.

ORAS is great! The regimola misconception have made a meta a hard thing to sell to other people but I firmly believe it is at least very decent. I dont if the meta can be really innovated besides "insert mon to avoid status on a mon" like some safeguard stuff but I believe there are many other mons to explore that arent hindered by trapping shenanigans. Absol is great, Clawitzer could use some attention, Hitmonlee, Jynx, Aurorus, among others. Hard to innovate since some mons are just too good to pass up in ORAS RU, but many other Pokemon to explore that can work really well despite their ranking, think it could keep evolving if played further.

Would be easier to now what you HAVENT tried to build with... Try something with:

Yanmega, or something like Decidueye

Elaborate more how? Format? The format change is great since the spl format is a good reliable format altho having some unique format would be excellent, didnt hate the previous format despite leaving everything for the last sunday (hah!). The pool can be competitive if it is allowed to flourish and some trust is deposited on people that can provide more than just your general bulky offense, even on supportive roles people that provide fresh air to the builds running around will be key to make the RU on this snake... entertaining and competitive. I personally see myself at 6th or 5th at most in this pool, if we talking about rankings.

Virizion... despite me spamming it very constantly, dont think it is S rank cause while salazzle can be really oppressive with just 3 moves I believe Virizion has to make some compromises if it is recovery to check stuff better or extra coverage cause Grass/Fight coverage is decent but by no means extraordinary being resisted by many things niche or not, it is PAINFULLY weak, and just it is way easier to handle than Salazzle and not as necessary as Metagross for builds. It is a damn good luxury but hardly something Id consider S rank, think Roserade is on that same level tbh, and Roserade isnt S rank. Perception is a thing, dont have times to be "enlightening" people.

Cause of ROMAN. Building with it is objectively tricky but it is in fact very competent. I refuse to believe something that gets the jump over the 90 base speed tier, kills pretty much all slower fighters in one shot and can pull off, funnily enough, some scarf set isnt worthy of at least a C+ rank but HECK. Offensive waters are pretty meh since the tier is infested on counterplay for water moves, water types that stand out do it for different reasons than just being water like golisopod which is more of a bug and slowbro, but in terms of offensive counterplay there is virizion, plethora of grass types, defensive waters. It is hard to be a good offensive water these days, Gatr had the best chances but LOL UU- I think bruxish good enough to be ranked.

Bruxish/Virizion/Metagross/Raikou/Donphan/Noivern is something Id been toying up with to decent success. Bruxish appreciates silly voltturn with volt switch cm raikou and noivern, the rest is just potent glues. Isnt that hard to put on a team cause many teams could use something that can kill a machamp or hariyama in one hit and is a pain to switch into.

Keep em coming!

Last edited:

Katy

Banned deucer.
Hello,

what are your thoughts on Slowbro and Donphan in the current metagame right now?

your favorite food?

to which Country would you like to travel one day and why?

which pkmn do you personally wish would come back to RU / drop back to RU?

Ampha

"They don’t call me Greed for nothing!"
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Heya Aldo
You're a pretty nice guy :blobnom:
Which (New)mon would u drop from uu and why?
What typing would u want for a gen 8 mon and why?
Fav type?
Pizza or burguer?
What RU mon would you buff and nerf?
If you could buff some lower tier mon for it to get a niche in RU(weezing for example),what mon would it be?
What RUBL mon you hated the most when it was on the meta?
And for last question whos your favorite person on ru community?

MrAldo

Hey
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Hello,

what are your thoughts on Slowbro and Donphan in the current metagame right now?

your favorite food?

to which Country would you like to travel one day and why?

which pkmn do you personally wish would come back to RU / drop back to RU?
Hi

Donphan is pretty much a top tier in terms of hazard removal right now, which is super hilarious given how we treated this mon months ago. Slowbro is pretty decent as a general physical switch-in to many things, can 1v1 fightinium variants too and z moves can be very clutch in it to lure stuff. Slowbro isnt my cup of team but it is indeed a pretty good mon right now.

Im a guy that loves food in general, I love tasting new things! Hard to pick for me cause I have tasted many good dishes from different countries, but if I had to pick it would be Peruvian Food. Chaufa Rice or "Arroz Chaufa" is incredible, and many Peruvian dishes are just out of this world. Helps that I love sea food.

Id really like to travel the world one day so particular country Id like to visit tbh, but Id love to gather souvenirs and mementos from so many places it is hard to decide which one to visit first

EASIEST QUESTION OF MY LIFE. GIVE ME BACK DOUBLADE, OMG. IT WOULD MAKE SO MANY BUILDS I HAVE IN MIND POSSIBLE. What an amazing mon it was. Sorry for the caps, but I do really miss Doublade A LOT, now we have a "mediocre" replacement in Metagross, sigh.

Heya Aldo
You're a pretty nice guy :blobnom:
Which (New)mon would u drop from uu and why?
What typing would u want for a gen 8 mon and why?
Fav type?
Pizza or burguer?
What RU mon would you buff and nerf?
If you could buff some lower tier mon for it to get a niche in RU(weezing for example),what mon would it be?
What RUBL mon you hated the most when it was on the meta?
And for last question whos your favorite person on ru community?
Heya

Tentacruel would be nice. A rapid spinner that can absorb tspikes, counters stuff like salazzle, and provides massive utility would be fantastic in this meta, but yes it is pipedream.

New typing... interesting question. Would be something along the lines of Sound typing since many sound moves being normal is kind of lame. No ideas about advantages and resistances cause gotta get real science-y. An other worldly type of typing could be nice to define ultra beasts and deoxys and what not, but nothing cool for a name yet. Perhaps they could define what is this ??? typing still running around.

Steel type. Many of my favorite mons are steel typing (Aggron), but Fighting and Grass are cool. Water due to the token of variety.

Im more of a burger type of guy, a burger feels more personal and it is hard to top a good patte in terms of fast food.

Would buff tsareena speed so it could be 82 speed so it could get the jump over many targets. Hard to nerf something since I think when a mon is balanced there is no need to nerf it, but I guess dropping salazzle speed tier a bit from 117 speed to 112 speed wouldnt hurt, add the 5 to SpA for the culture.

Something like regular silvally. It is a copy of arceus so something like SD Espeed would be nice to have and fun to support (and not as busted as Linoone), Togedemaru should get SPIKES. A steel type spiker with u-turn and paralyzing shenanigans that is fast (ferroseed sucks) would be amazing if you ask me.

What RUBL mon I hated the most, huh? NOTHING can match the frustration of facing this:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA. Everything pales in comparison

Everyone is my favorite, I love everybody who contributes and makes this tier more interesting by the minute. I love everybody

Hi!
I really liked this interview o.o
What's your favourite pokemon game?
Hello

Glad you liked it. Tried to be as detailed as I could be

Favorite game has to be Platinum. BW2 is epic but when I played Platinum stuff like the distortion world and how they implemented it, and the looks of the sprites and general presentation of the sinnoh region (alongside the lore) just blew my mind. And it is very fun with an amazing selection of mons for the sinnoh dex too. Great game that I always end up replaying.

Cheers! (keep em coming)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)