Project Player interview #12: Gefährlicher Random

Welcome back to OU player interviews! This time we have SCL breakout player Gefährlicher Random
Gefährlicher Random

Gefährlicher Random
Favorite Mon: :Burmy: Burmy plant cloak
Most used Mon: :Toxapex: Toxapex
Most known for: 8-1 SCL record, WCOP runner up
MDP_3DS_Substitute.png

Hi Friend, how are you today?

MDP_3DS_408.png

Im doing well, what about you?

MDP_3DS_Substitute.png

Im good thanks! Celebrating some Thanksgiving stuff. Now, I know you either go by your smogon name or felix but would you like to introduce yourself a little?

MDP_3DS_408.png

Yes, so im Gefährlicher Random on Smogon but since its hard to pronounce that most people are calling me Felix, which is my real name. Im a 23 year old college student and outside of Pokemon i like to watch Anime or TV shows and chill with friends either irl or on discord. I assume most people know me from WCoP 2020 or Snake/SPL, where i started my journey on Smogon.

MDP_3DS_Substitute.png

very nice! Originally, how did you wonder onto smogon/ps?

MDP_3DS_408.png

I got into Pokemon Showdown by watching Youtube Videos of CP Hunat (Dnb on Smogon), before that i watched some WiFi stuff. I was just screwing around at the time, laddering lower tiers which was a lot of fun, preferably NeverUsed since thats what CP Hunat played the most at the time. At some point i realised that there are tournaments and participated in the ''NPL'' (i think that was around 2015) which basicially is the German Premier League on some forum. I did well in that tour and after that i started my journey on german forums, grinding a lot of tournaments. Some years later (i think it was around 2018) i got into my first Smogon Team Tournament which was the NeverUsed Premier League because a friend of mine convinced me to join and got me on a team. I remember that i only used funky stuff, i also played a lot of discord tours at the time just for fun. Didn't touch smogon for a while after that till World Cup 2020 where i decided to play for Germany, the tour was super fun and i realised that i want to keep going, the rest is history i guess.

MDP_3DS_Substitute.png

oh wow thats a cool way to start, I always wonder for tournaments like wcop how everyone ends up being eligible to play.
It seems like you have played in tournaments pretty much since the beginning then, do you feel like you had a breakout performance that got you noticed?

MDP_3DS_408.png

I actually think my first tournament 2015 was my breakout performance if you wanna call it that, but i pretty much did well in all of the tours after that too. I probably should mention that i played a bunch of german Draft Leagues before and after that which might be the reason i was a little bit better than the ''normal newcomer'' and influenced me a lot later on, even now.

MDP_3DS_Substitute.png

alright alright, so i need to get into some german draft leagues then

MDP_3DS_408.png

haha maybe, the competitive quality isn't as high as on smogon for example but the people are lovely and its a lot of fun

MDP_3DS_Substitute.png

if it works it works!
But speaking of tournaments, I know this was quite a minute ago now, but how was your experience with WCOP?

MDP_3DS_408.png

For me personally, WCoP is the most important tournament of the year since i get to team up with so many great friends. WCoP 2020 we basically had a completely new roster since they changed the format to current gen OverUsed only, which actually helped us out i feel like since we were a ground of grinders, but we weren't experienced enough at the time. WCoP 2021 was similar in the way that we had another group of newcomers but some of us (like myself) had the chance to experience other tournaments like Snake or SPL or individual tours, which made us better players. We had an insanely talented but at the same time insanely skilled group of people and the atmosphere around the team was exceptional. The end was of course a huge disappointment and hurts even now but gives myself and the other german guys motivation for the next edition of the tour.

MDP_3DS_Substitute.png

It was still a great run, Im sure most arent even aware of how much work goes into a full wcop season but it was a very impressive and a tough loss to a great US South team

Came down to an triple axel miss right?

MDP_3DS_408.png

Yeah but i don't want to be a bad sport about it, in cases like this crucial turns happen in all 8 (11 including tiebreak) games and small things can influence the whole series. US South had their own story and they are deserved winners, but imo we would've deserved the trophy as well, it's just that one team had to lose.

MDP_3DS_Substitute.png

Yeah its esp tough because there was no clear winner, I thought both teams were amazing and had great runs through the tour but that does make it somehow even harder to lose like that.

MDP_3DS_408.png

I'm not a fan of blaming rng, you have to optimize the things you can influence and start searching for the mistakes you made instead of blaming it on the game.
Also, it would not do justice to US South, they played a great tournament and Axel is a risky move after all.

MDP_3DS_Substitute.png

That is very true, minimizing rng is part of being a good player. Was a great final, and im sure Germany will be even better for 2022
How do you think that compares to another team tournament like the recently finished SCL? (or snake)

MDP_3DS_408.png

The principle is the same, but your team members and the tiers which are played are different. Also, the fun part about SCL/Snake, SPL or other team tournaments is teaming up with people you don't know and learning something about the mons players and people behind that. I also love those tours but WCoP will always be my number one priority because the people i team with are some of my closest friends to the point where we do a lot of stuff outside of mons together and some of us have met irl several times.

MDP_3DS_Substitute.png

oh really? thats actually super cool, I would want to be part of a tour like that just to be part of the team in the same region I am
So obviously looking at your record SCL went great, improving from 5-4 to one of the best records this year 8-1
what do you attribute that huge improvement to?

MDP_3DS_408.png

I changed my approach this SCL. Before that tour i usually payed a lot of attention to my opponents scout (which might be a bad habit i got from grinding draft leagues) to the point where i got tangled up in several mind games in prep. This SCL i focused a lot on myself and ended up using stuff i liked. I also built a lot of my own stuff which helps you understand your teams better

MDP_3DS_Substitute.png

Oh yeah I definitely feel like building your own teams helps you understand what they are trying to achieve so much better than getting them from someone else

Out of all the teams you built or have been using, do you think you could provide a team that you think is pretty solid at the moment and provide a short description?

MDP_3DS_408.png

A german friend who isn't active on smogon or other forums anymore built this with some help from me. The team is centered around Flame Body Heatran, a pokemon some people despise and making use of burning stuff that needs to touch you. It's paired with Taunt Cosmic Power Mew, since Weavile usually needs to Knock Heatran and if the Weavile burns Mew destorys most of the time. The other Win Con is DD Lefties Kyurem which is a pokemon i absolutely love since it gets you so many wins without having to work a lot. You want to Knock opposing Pexes in the mirror and then force a burn with Heatran, if the opposing Pex gets chipped every turn Kyurem just wins on the spot. The rest if defensive backbone and hazard control since the win cons need that. Unfortunately i can't share a paste but here is a replay from the recent SCL. https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen8ou-584852

MDP_3DS_Substitute.png

ok that sounds fun so I will be stealing from replay!:)

MDP_3DS_408.png

Kyurem actually swept twice this SCL against steel move Heatran, that kinda shows you how evil it is

MDP_3DS_Substitute.png

ahahaha really? thats insane I love the dd sub set and have been trying to build (or steal) a team with it
What is your process for teambuilding?

MDP_3DS_408.png

With teambuilding i like to search for stuff i like / i find to be good against the metagame and create some sort of offensive idea / synergy behind that. I usually like building a lot more when its not for one specific game, not a fan of searching for weaknesses in the opponents scout and trying to force myself to build around those.

MDP_3DS_Substitute.png

Very cool, speaking of teambuilding and things good in the metagame, how do you feel about kyurem? Do you think its too restrictive on teambuilding?

MDP_3DS_408.png

Im not 100% sure about Kyurem. Its kind of annoying in the builder since it forces you to use mons that suck, like Blissey or Scizor for example. On the other hand i dont find it to be super broken in the actual games. The reason why i might lean towards banning it would be to bring some change to the metagame and make it more interesting for people that dont like its current state, but im honestly not sure myself.

MDP_3DS_Substitute.png

Agreed, fave ban was the zygarde ban in sm just because it made the metagame so much better.
just to wrap it up, what advice would you give to some one that wants to be the next 8-1 SCL record holder?

MDP_3DS_408.png

Keep grinding but always stay positive, don't blame the game for your own shortcomings and try to improve and approach the game in your own way

MDP_3DS_Substitute.png

very nice!
and any shoutouts you would like to give?

MDP_3DS_408.png

Shoutout to everyone that feels addressed haha, but especially to MAX UND MAX, Lord_Enz, Serpi, xray, Relous and the other people on our discord!

---
Thanks to Gefährlicher Random for participating and make sure to leave a question in the replies!

Last edited:
My favorite tour game is this one, dahli vs starmaster from last wcop

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen8ou-566799

Interesting situation early game as well, but the real beauty comes later where starmaster really thinks out of the box to win a seemingly drawn game. He lets his Pex run out of PP on purpose to use the infinite Struggle PP in combination with regenerator for a breakthrough. I remember that this really impressed me at the time, because i love situations that are different from any other game and you have to think out of the box to solve them. Some people mightve been bored by that game because of its length, but i loved it.

I like teamtours more than individuals for several reasons, i think if im gonna participate in those it would have to be OST or STour, maybe Classic but dunno.

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Do you have any favorite lower tiers or older generations? And if so, which are they and what are your experiences with them?

It's fun hearing your thought process about this tier as is, so I would be curious to see how it translates.

Congrats on your recent success bro, big fan

Do you have any favorite lower tiers or older generations? And if so, which are they and what are your experiences with them?
I played a bunch of lower tiers during Gen6 and Gen7, basically everything from Ubers to PU. My favorite and the one that really sticked with me is Gen7NU, i played it a lot when SM was the current gen. Right now i dont play lower tiers tho.

My favorite Old Gens are ADV and RBY. I had a big ADV grind at some point (about a year ago) where i was pretty good, laddered daily and peaked a few times + participated in some tours on Pokemon Perfect. Right now i kinda suck lmao. My favorite Old Gen at the moment is RBY. Dunno why but i really like the tier, i watch a bunch of replays and ladder occasionally, also peaked a few times.

how do you like your steak
Medium

What does your pseudo mean, and where does it come from?
The name ''Gefährlicher Random'' means dangerous random and originally comes from Relous who called a friend of us like that because he likes to make some really aggresive plays and can bascially win or lose against everyone. I found that funny at the time, so i took it as my smogon nick.

Also, congrats on having a new chancellor!
Thanks i guess lol

Rubyblood

Tyrants GSC Legend
is a Tiering Contributoris a defending SPL Championis a Past SCL Champion
World Defender
Hey, I like your approach to the game and your way of being positive at all times, I also liked your teams and your ingame during the scl, good job.

I have some questions so,

What is the difference between a top player and an average player?

What makes a good team mate in team tournaments?

What do you advise people to do to progress as much as possible?

Have you tried the gsc ou, if yes, what do you think?

What do you watch anime and series? I like what the germans produce like Dark for Netflix or Monster for anime

Do you speak other languages than German and English?

Your Favorite food?

There are many questions, I hope you don't mind.

Last edited:
What is the difference between a top player and an average player?
Its hard to keep this short since there are a bunch of skills that seperate great from good players, in my opinion the most important one is to always think about the decisions you make and have reasons behind them (which doesnt rule out crazy plays). Im talking about stuff like, if play x goes wrong i can still hax / have outs etc.

What makes a good team mate in team tournaments?
First and most important thing a teammate has to do is winning, which is forgotten sometimes. Winning your own games isnt all of course, but at the end of the day thats the single best thing to help out your team. Since people are really different in their approach to the game its hard to generalize other traits a good teammate has to have, id personally say i like it when people try to give input and help you, but at the same time dont force their own view on others / veto stuff, since trust in your own stuff is as important as a good matchup.

What do you advise people to do to progress as much as possible?
I think i already talked about that in the interview for a bit, don't blame the game for your own shortcomings and try to improve and approach the game in your own way. Something else that really helps me improve is watching a bunch of replays from other players, that helps a lot and is also quite interesting (at least for me).

Have you tried the gsc ou, if yes, what do you think?
I have to admit im a total GSC noob, baring watching replays. Never really played the tier but it looks fun for sure, i think i wouldnt mind long matches and all that stuff so it might be a good fit haha.

What do you watch anime and series? I like what the germans produce like Dark for Netflix or Monster for anime
Yes, i watch a lot of anime and also some tv shows.

To start with tv shows i think my favorites are Dexter (currently watching the new season), Prison Break and The Mentalist, they all have in common that they get worse by time but i enjoyed them a lot.

Concerning anime, i watch a lot of them, usually seasonal stuff but also a lot in general. My favorite ones are Monster (i proud myself that i annoyed Lord_Enz to watch it haha), Natsume's Book of Friends, Sangatsu no Lion (although i haven't finised it yet) and Diamond no Ace. I don't have a favorite genre to be honest, but if you wanna see what i watched here is my list:

Do you speak other languages than German and English?
I had spanish in school but sucked big time, so unfortunately no.

Your Favorite food?
Yes i do, don't know how do describe it but it's some sort of pasta i guess called ''Spätzle''. I live in a part of south germany where it's quite common so i even loved it as a child.

Thoughts on Mew?
I which context haha? In current gen ou its just an average mon i think, the taunt cosmic power set is a big matchup fish but can be worthwhile and the other sets seem kinda underwhelming but it might not be 100% explored. The design and lore are pretty cool tho.

Who is the person in your avatar?
Its me.
Just kidding, its a random guy from an add i find funny.

Die Nutella oder Das Nutella?

Mit wie vielen Siegen wird Team Deutschland als erster Platz in das Viertelfinale der Smogon Weltmeisterschaft einziehen?

Wie verarbeitest du es psychisch, dass du zu den besten OU Spielern der Welt gehört aber einfach den Status den Randoms nicht los wird?

Vodka-E oder Vodka-O?

Bist du lieber das Dark Horse oder der Underdog?

Die Nutella oder Das Nutella?
Die Nutella

Mit wie vielen Siegen wird Team Deutschland als erster Platz in das Viertelfinale der Smogon Weltmeisterschaft einziehen?
Hoffentlich wieder 16 oder 17 haha

Wie verarbeitest du es psychisch, dass du zu den besten OU Spielern der Welt gehört aber einfach den Status den Randoms nicht los wird?
Danke danke, ich fühle mit geehrt. Ich weiß das ist eher witzig gemeint, aber ich finde es tatsächlich ganz lustig und auch teilweise zuträglich sich ein Stück Randomness von damals beizubehalten.

Vodka-E oder Vodka-O?
Keins von beiden, ich trinke keinen Alkohol.

Bist du lieber das Dark Horse oder der Underdog?
Der Underdog, weil ich 1. Pferde nicht leiden kann und 2. Hunde mag

• Love
Reactions: erz

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)