Project Player Interview #11 : Twilight

Moutemoute

Error 404
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion

Approved by UU moderation & inspired by Feliburn's project

Welcome guys in the "UU Player Interview", a project where you'll be able to discover or re-discover some well known players of the UU community. Those people may be known thanks to their high-skilled level or their achievements on the strategic scene but also thanks to their dedication into the tier or within the community. Time to gossip !

Hey Twilight and welcome in player interview. How are you doing today ?

I'm doing good thanks for asking. Just been chilling in front of a fan allday because the heat in the UK has been pretty high recently

Yeah we got a pretty harsh heatwave in France too, 39°C where I'm living ! First, and not surprisingly, could you introduce yourself a bit ?

I'm a university student currently studying Games Programming about to go into his second year. I enjoy coding and learning the different languages. I've only made a couple of small project games so far with a small puzzle game being online somewhere from a weekend project I did at my university. Other than that I'm pretty layed back with video games and anime being my main source of entertainment. With the main game I'm playing being Valorant as of now.

Alright. You're also pretty engaged in Smogon / Showdown (Room Owner on UU room, RMT Moderator and UU Community Contributor). Is there any reason which leads you to invest yourself so much in the community ?

The RMT section was definitely what got me into forums as a whole where I started off doing bad rates in OU back in like 2017. I then lost interest in Pokemon soon after until I decided to get back into it again last year. I think my desire to get into UU just came from liking the Pokemon Mega Altaria and posting and RMT of it. Vivalospride rated it and has helped me improve a lot since then. The people in the community is probably the biggest thing that has kept my interest in UU.

Yeah the UU community is great and doesn't feel as big as the OU one for sure. Talking about the UU, what do you think about the state of the current metagame ? Lily talked about the fact that we'll probably get a public suspect test on Jirachi, do you have an opinion on it ?

I personally don't find the current state of UU to be that enjoyable, the threats that need to be accounted for and how they warp the meta like Lycanroc-Dusk, Terrakion, Kyurem, and ofc Jirachi really constrains team building to heavily revolve around having ways to initiate these strong breakers with things such as pivots or Sticky Webs. My opinion on Jirachi as a whole is that it's too unhealthy for the tier. A Pokemon that can run so many sets to the point that you will always be weak to it is just too much imo.

Yeah it's tough to handle Jirachi. Is there a Pokemon you think is particularly underrated at the moment ?

I think mostly everything good is getting usage but I would probably say Celebi if I had to. I haven't seen too much of it, which is to be expected with Jirachi in the tier. However, LO 3 Attack or NP sets can put in a lot of work rn. It's typing is also great for handling stuff like Keldeo, Slowking, and the Rotom formes.

And do you have any favorite mon/set at the moment ?

I've enjoyed using Keldeo right now, good amount of utility in its typing and flexibility with its sets. The Choiced sets are the ones I have enjoyed using the most

Alright. Let's focus a bit more on you if you don't mind ! Where does your nickname come from ?

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess is one of my favourite games and one I played a lot of in my childhood. So I've always had my names based around this but everyone asks me if it's because I like the movies ;-;

Yeah I was thinking either Zelda or the movie ^^ By the way, are you on vacation ?

I am not, I have been stuck at home due to the virus

Oh yeah you're still confined ?

yea however it has lightened up a little bit in some regards, but I'm pretty sure a majority of my second year at uni will be online

In France we still don't know if we're going back to school in september or not. Let's talk about food, do you have a guilty pleasure ?

umm I don't think I really have one rn, if there is something like Ice Cream available then I usually can't resist. But if it was a normal day and I had spare change I would probably be snacking on a choclate bar or going to a local burger/chicken shop. Quarantine has definitely made my eating habits a lot better lol

Like a lot of us :p Would you mind to share with us a UU team you made recently ?

I made this yesterday and it's probably one of the fatter teams I've made as of late. As the title implies I was tired of broken teapot sweeping my ass on ladder. I won't give much explanation to it but it relies on using Jirachi + Tyranitar to open up Mienshao or Noivern to clean late-game. It loses to some variant of Jirachi so look out for that. I also made a BU Grimm team in the building lab if people want to try that out.

That Tyranitar spread look insane.. Well thanks, that's pretty much all I have to say. We finally manage to find some time for this interview hehe, thanks for being here !

no problem, thanks for interviewing me

Feel free to ask to Twilight any questions you want !
If you have some recommendations for an interview, feel free to DM me !

If you had to try 1 mon that is not ranked on the UU VR that was seen on the VR at one point, what would it be and why?

Have you tried other metagames outside of UU? What was it like? (HAHAHA totally original)

Did you expect Tyranitar to drop to UU? If so, when were you expecting it'd drop? If not, did you think it would do as good as it is now?

What is your least favorite archetype to play? Your favorite? (once again, HAHAHA totally original)

Interview was good, 9/10

pokemonisfun

Banned deucer.
Feel free to answer as many or as few as you want, however you want

What would you like to be asked?
Where do you live?
What or who do you support politically?
Why did you join Smogon? What was that like?
Do you like animals? Cats?
What goals do you have for yourself, on Smogon or in anything else?

Hi man, here's my questions for ya :

What video game company would you like to work for?
What kind of video game would you like to create? Explain it to us!
Do you plan to stay in your country or do you plan to travel / work in another country?
Your favorite joke ?
Fav anime/manga ? Your waifu ?
Are you a weeb ?

That's all for me, keep up the good work man !

Wow this definetly got my interest

1. What games do you envision yourself making in the future? Anything is valid other than the mobile game trash that takes up space in the Switch's eshop.

2. Since you're definitely really good at teambuilding, what exactly is your thought process behind making one? Do you start of with a mon you like and build around it, or do you just slap a dragon/fairy/steel or FGW core and call it a day?

3. Finally, how many times a week do you have to lock threads that did not follow the posting guidelines? On top of this what other hassles do you have to deal with in RMTs other than little timmys showcasing a team full of eevelutions?

Estarossa
Anything you use is unviable, which should be a solid enough answer on whether people should use Milotic

not very poggers

You're unviable ._.

War Incarnate
I honestly don't know but if I were to choose a new Pokemon in general I'd say Mudsdale. I believe it to have some viability rn with checking some Jirachi sets and Stamina helping against Lycanroc-D

I haven't played any other metagames this generation enough to give a thought on my experience. I did main SM OU in its early phases but I wouldn't say I thoroughly enjoyed it. I used to use a lot of gimmicky sets, which got me fairly high on ladder in the 1800s but I found UU to be a lot more flexible and refreshing building wise.

I expected Tyranitar to drop a couple months back, it just took some time for OU ladder to catch on. I didn't particularly expect it to be broken by any means, just a solid Pokemon in the metagame.

I'm primarily an offense player but I prefer Bulky Offense the most, in order to have a good blend of offense and defense. I find these builds to be extremely versatile, which is great given I find building to be the most enjoyable thing.

Sickist
I don't have a favourite style, I'm a person that will listen to whatever song catches my attention

Again I don't have a favourite for either of these but I did enjoy listening to the last album from Juice.

Robot7620
SM is the only other gen I've played and I don't enjoy that or SS currently; however, I have faith this gen will get better over time.

DPP is a gen I've wanted to get into because it just looks cool and it was the first generation of games I ever played. But I've never taken the time to try to learn a tier like this on my own.

I've always found RU to be interesting with just seeing how Pokemon that aren't quite up to scratch in UU are prominent threats there. I also feel like it is a tier I could potentially easily jump into with building.

pokemonisfun
How has your day been ;-;

monkas.png
London

I am not a very political person so I can't really answer this

I joined because of the RMT section, I enjoyed rating people's teams and hopefully improving them, keeping their interest in the tier in doing so.

I do love animals, I have a pet Cat called Shadow. As the name implies he is a Black cat. He is more of an outdoor cat and can be very skittish around new people.

My goal is to eventually be working for a company to produce games, whether it be a big or small indie company. I don't really have one for smogon, I just do what I find fun.

KSt3ve
I don't have a specific one given my broad enjoyment of playing a handful of different companies games from big to small. I'd be grateful to be accepted from any of them such as Square Enix or Naughty Dog etc.

I'm more interested in 3D action-adventure games but I do have a love for 2D platformers. I'm only a programmer so I'd mainly be focusing on the gameplay aspects like making a character mover, how things interact with each other. Something I do want to learn and explore more is working on how AI works.

This isn't something I have really thought about at this point in time but if an opportunity arises and I had to live abroad then I would highly consider it.

I'm fcking awful when it comes to humour like this so I honestly can't say I have one lol.

I'm very mainstream unless something really catches my attention and I don't know if I have an overall favourite, but it would be between MHA, Fire Force, Dororo, The Fate series, or Mobile Suit Gundam Iron Blooded Orphans. I am a fake weeb and do not have a true waifu but I have enjoyed Maki Oze's character from Fire Force so that shall be my answer.

Yes but a fake one :blobpensive:

SpookMÆN
I answered this in the previous question but I find platformers to be really fun experiences so would love to work on games like that in the future. The Ori games are one of my favourites and absolutely stunning from the visuals to the sound, working on something like that would be sick

If I build something I decide on the Pokemon I want first as the starting point. I personally don't think about cores like FGW, as long as the team has core things like hazards/removal and in most cases a Ground-type and immunity. Ofc there can be exceptions with this but this is generally how I go about stuff. Then I focus more on how weak I am to certain threats and whether this can be fixed/eased as well as making sure the team has enough breaking power to deal with most defensive cores. I rarely ever get something right or to more liking on the first go.

If RMT was super active on a daily basis then I'd probably be locking a/multiple team(s) every day. Overall, I don't really have anything that annoys me with what people post in the RMT forums, but it would be nicer if users would read my locked message and PM me their descriptions than attempting to repost teams. This would be me nitpicking though.

vivalospride

been up all year my third eye aint even blinkin’
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
who do you credit most for your rise on smogon?

why dont you try harder in individuals?

is there anything you can think of that you're looking forward to on this site? any goals? any motivation to improve as a player/user? etc

favorite sm team of yours?

will you host uu rating comp w me after snake?

Notily

dirt rich
any revelations you've had regarding building / playing that you wish someone could've told you earlier?

3 items on your bucket list?

who do you main in valorant?

any game design decisions other devs make that you HATE?

how have improvements you've made in building influenced your playing, and vice versa?

ugliest shiny?

:3

vivalospride
who do you credit most for your rise on smogon?
Misa ofc

why dont you try harder in individuals?
I'm just bad :blobglare:

is there anything you can think of that you're looking forward to on this site? any goals? any motivation to improve as a player/user? etc
You hosting a team rating competition. As for goals, I wouldn't say I really have one. If this gen improves over time I'll probably invest more time trying to improve.

favorite sm team of yours?

A team built around King + U-turn Hydra. Starmie as the check to Infernape and secondary Coba response + hazard remover. Nothing else really held the Z-move better so yea, but it comes in handy in times where you can't risk missing Hydro + need the extra power. Mega Aggron for a Latias, Malt, Scizor check + it set rocks to free up Nidoking to run something else. In this case I swapped between Substitute and Protect, but went with tect as scouting stuff like Scizor, Terrak, Hydra, Krook etc. helps it put in more work. Mixed Infernape gained a lot of traction near the end of the gen + I wanted another Scizor check. Then Togekiss for a better Stall matchup and ofc a response to Krook and Hydra. The team ended up being super fcking weak to Moltres so two lures on the mons it would realistically pivot into.

will you host uu rating comp w me after snake?
Like I have a choice

Notily
any revelations you've had regarding building / playing that you wish someone could've told you earlier?
I used to be heavily focused on having defensive counterplay to a vast amount of the tier last gen and in doing so I never really noticed my inabilities to break through common defensive cores, which is something I was honestly doing for a long time until Viv pointed it out to me.

3 items on your bucket list?
I can't say I've extensively thought about a bucket list but three things I would like to do in the future would be to get a job at a top video game company, get a job because I'm a broke ass student, and keep on top of my health and continue trying to strive for a healthier lifestyle (exercising and watching what I eat). I'm sure as I get older there will be more interesting things that I really wish I could do i.e going to many different countries etc. but rn I'm boring as fck :D

who do you main in valorant?
Cypher, considering trying out Killjoy when I unlock her because she seems insane at holding down a site

any game design decisions other devs make that you HATE?
Spam clicking mechanics, how was my 7 year old ass meant to beat the final boss in The Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess with an APM of a bot.

how have improvements you've made in building influenced your playing, and vice versa?
I'd say my ability to build more hyper offensive builds has helped me get marginally better when it comes to playing as a whole but I still have a good amount to improve on.

ugliest shiny?
I've always hated how Kommo-o's shiny looks. Why'd they have to make it piss yellow.

Fusion Flare

i have hired this cat to stare at you
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
what do you think of webs

whats your favorite mega evolution? least favorite? favorite g-max and least favorite?

whats your favorite terrak check and why is it banded golurk and not the sandcastle

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)