Project Player Interview #10 : Lilburr

Approved by UU moderation & inspired by Feliburn's project

Welcome guys in the "UU Player Interview", a project where you'll be able to discover or re-discover some well known players of the UU community. Those people may be known thanks to their high-skilled level or their achievements on the strategic scene but also thanks to their dedication into the tier or within the community. Time to gossip !

Hello Lily how are you doing ?

Hiya! I'm doing fine, haven't done a whole lot with my day but other than that, not much to complain about. How about you?

I'm doing fine too, enjoying as much as possible my holidays. As usual to begin, could you introduce yourself to our fellow readers ?

kay, I'm Lilburr (though most people just call me Lily) and as of right now I'm 18 and live in Ireland. I've been a UU player since like, January of 2018, though at that point I just lurked the forums and played ladder games with some... questionable teams. (I'll get an example in a sec and edit it into these brackets) I never accomplished much on the ladder other than breaking into top 100 a couple of times until SS came around and I topped the ladder quite a few times. I finally gained the confidence to start posting at that point and made a name for myself, had a decent UUPL and got added to the UU council after a while! I'm also on the QC team and I'm a driver in the ps room. Outside of Pokemon stuff (i'll actually stop here so that i don't answer the entire interview in one question LMAO whoops)

lmao don't worry, talking about Pokemon I'd like to know how you discover the media franchise Pokemon ? Outside of Showdown do you Pokemon play video games ?

I think my first interaction with Pokemon as a whole was watching the anime when I was a kid, my older brother loved it and I was literally in diapers so I had no clue what was going on but I remember thinking Charmander was the cutest thing ever. The first Pokemon game I played was Emerald, though I had no clue what was going on so I didn't finish it or anything (I was I think 4? years old and just clicking buttons). Lost interest for a while until I was in like, 4th class (same as 4th grade I think) and a few of my friends were really excited about Black and White which were either releasing at the time or had just released. One friend had both games and lended White to me, and I finished it in a weekend. Ever since then I've been hooked and I've played every mainline game since! My favourite is still BW, but I don't dislike any of them, and I think Let's Go is really underrated and I wish people would be more open to trying it.

I actually never played BW and B2W2, I really don't like this gen.. and how did you go from playing Pokemon on your own to playing on Showdown and get involved in Smogon ?

HOW COULD YOU D: THEY'RE THE BEST GAMES. I've always been competitive at heart so chances are I probably put "competitive pokemon" into google one day and got Smogon thrown back at me. The oldest showdown account I have access to was registered in 2014 and let's just say I was... not the best. When I came back in 2018 as a result of getting into draft leagues with a friend, I mostly kept to myself and played random battles until one day I got bored and tried out UU. I got involved on Smogon in SS because I had always loved reading the on-site analyses and wanted to write them, which ended up happening, but everything else like my VR posts and stuff just kind of came naturally afterwards, and I've made a lot of friends that have kept me interested in the site <3 (proof of me being ass)

New meta Ferro for sure ! Why did you decide to involve yourself in Underused and not in another tier ?

I actually was relatively into OU too (my earliest posts are on OU forum projects) but when I tried out UU I found that the community was much more welcoming. People I looked up to were super nice to me and seemed like they were genuinely interested in what I had to say, which didn't happen as much in OU - not because the people weren't nice, moreso just because it was such a huge community and it's harder to make a name for yourself. So in a way I guess it was like my "second choice" but the reason I stayed here is pretty much just because I love the people that I talk to! More simply, though, the reason I tried OU first was bc my favourite Pokemon at the time (Excadrill) was OU, and the reason I tried UU second was bc my second favourite (Mega Altaria) was UU. My first OU team had a drill and my first UU team had an alt, and it's no surprise why :p

UU community is the best for sure hehe. You talked a bit earlier about ladder and I know you're kinda a tryhard lmao. You played over 2000 games in the SS UU Ladder, how did you reach such a number ?

Boredom, really. I grinded it early on in December-January as a distraction since I wasn't in a great place mentally and it acted as an escape. Then, once lockdown started, I had literally nothing to do with my days so I'd just kill time by laddering, and it added up REALLY fast. It doesn't feel like it's been over 2000 at all but I guess it has! I also wasn't really involved with the community super early on, so I didn't join any tournaments for a while and didn't have anyone to just challenge to games, so the ladder was my only source when I actually wanted to play.

Alright and out of all this games, do you know which Pokemon you used the most ?

Realistically? Probably Noivern. But I'm known for being a huge Heliolisk spammer, so I like to think it's the lizard :>

Even tho you're pretty new to Smogon, what's your best memory on the website ?

I think it's gotta be getting drafted for UUPL. I was still a pretty unknown quantity at the time and like, I'd made a splash with the managers and everyone liked me, but I didn't have any real results to my name and was pretty unsure about whether or not I'd get picked up. Getting nommed at all made my heart leap, and then seeing that I went for a relatively high price at 6.5k (considering I was a really late pickup) was super shocking too. Some honourable mentions would be the time I flinched down 4 of Sage's mons with a single Togedemaru to win a test game vs her, being promoted to QC after like 20 amchecks, or just seeing the positive reception to my first post since I was so anxious to actually post it (it's kind of embarrassing now lol but here it is : here). oh you were actually the first person to like that post, congrats on being my original fan

Oh yeah I remember this post ! It's good to see that you are more and more invested in the tier :) Let’s talk a little bit about you IRL if you don't mind.. What's your favorite food ?

Omg okay I'm gonna get super shamed for this but- my favourite food is pizza but I eat it without any toppings so idk if I actually count as a pizza fan at all D: outside of that I really really like popcorn, and also literally anything from the restaurant my sister works at. I'm also a huge fan of countless different types of ice cream, which is part of the reason why I love summer so much :3

And the one you hate the most ?

If you ever come near me with any form of cabbage I will literally never talk to you again. Dishonourable mentions include asparagus, cherries, anything super salty, and jelly.

Cherries are nice tho.. è_é What kind of music do you listen to ?

ALRIGHT SO.. I have a LOT of different tastes depending on what kind of mood I'm in.. I'm mostly into rock/punk and its various forms - favourite bands there include Tanuki, Set It Off, and like, Three Days Grace, I also really like Panic! At The Disco, Fall Out Boy and various other kinda alternative/indie bands? I guess? Idk how to describe them.. BUT.. Other times I'll be super into pop; lots of Ed Sheeran, AJR, Shawn Mendes etc. which feels SUPER basic but what can ya do. I've also been listening to the High School Musical 2 OST for days. Don't judge. I could go on for hours but here's my favourite song atm so I have an excuse to shut up:

again. don't judge

Three Days Grace is actually super nice, I used to listen "Break" when I was younger, dope song. Taste and colour can't be judged tho so don't worry hehe.. From where does your nickname come from ?

I get this question a lot

Like all of us hehe

Most people either think it comes from Timburr, or think it's my attempt at like, a rapper name? I even had Hilomilo think it was based on a Lil' Brr, which is an enemy from Super Mario Galaxy 2.. It's actually just a combination of my name (Lily) and my at-the-time favourite Pokemon (Drilbur) with an extra R because a) Lilbur was taken and b) Lilburr looks better. Drilbur's #2 now, but "Liledemaru" doesn't quite fit as well

I see, I see.. Last but not least, do you have a team that you could share with us ?

Oh uh sure.. please blame martha for these nicknames. This is a hazard-based offense that relies on the combination of Rocky Helmet, Stealth Rock and Spikes chip to wear things down into range for Rotom-Mow or Mamoswine to clean up late game. Druddigon was chosen as a rocker because Rough Skin is really cool and unique to it (unless you run helmet sharpedo???) and it also gets rocks up and spreads paralysis. Skarmory is a spiker that acts as a de facto check to stuff like Mamoswine and opposing Obstagoon, and Slowking helps with like Terrakion and Cobalion while also setting up Future Sight combos. Mamoswine and Obstagoon are powerful breakers that really take advantage of hazards to turn 2HKOs into OHKOs, and finally, Rotom-Mow acts as a form of speed control that can also clean up late game by spamming Volt Switch against weakened teams. It's also the team's best pivot into opposing Rotom. It's probably not as good as it could be, but it's really satisfying to use!

A nice team with my boy progress pig ! Well that's all for this interview, feel free to shoutout your friends if you want to. I'm glad to have you for this one and I hope you enjoyed it too !

I think I have way too many people to shout out and I don't want to force you to put em all in your post, so I'll shout them all out when I'm answering questions later. Thanks for having me!! It's been really fun :>

Feel free to ask to Lilburr any questions you want !
If you have some recommendations for an interview, feel free to DM me !

Have you played other metagames outside of UU? What was it like?

What has been your favorite archetype to play? Your least favorite?

What is your favorite genre of music? Your least favorite?

If you had to use only mons in the "Viable" tier for a week, which mon would you bring?

I liked the interview. A nice read indeed!

was nice reading about ur background on smogon!! and discovering these guys' name! Now onto the most random questions I could think of in like 3 minutes.
  • Favorite Pikaclone after Togedemaru? Why?
  • Least favorite Pikaclone? Why?
  • If you could press a button that would give us gen 5 remakes on the switch that fix all the problems of Sword & Shield, but also making 5 completely random lines of Pokémon to stop existing forever in the process, would you do it? Why?
  • Any other game you've ever played competitively? If so, which ones?
  • If you could swap a Pokémon that is UU right now with a Pokémon that is in OU (or UUBL) (as in the UU Pokémon goes to OU or UUBL, and vice versa), which two would you choose, and why?
  • Name change to lildemaru when?
  • Favorite gym (considering puzzle, leader, trainers, theme, etc)? Why?
  • If you could steal a badge from me, which one would you pick? Why?

Last edited:

Lily

wouldn't that be fine, dear
is a Tutoris a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnus
UU Leader
Have you played other metagames outside of UU? What was it like?

What has been your favorite archetype to play? Your least favorite?

What is your favorite genre of music? Your least favorite?

If you had to use only mons in the "Viable" tier for a week, which mon would you bring?

I liked the interview. A nice read indeed!
I have played other metagames! I'm really interested in LC this gen, I think it looks really fun and I wish I was better at it. I'm learning to build it at the moment, too!
In terms of old gens, I really like BW. As of right now I'm learning BW PU and BW UU, and I've always loved spectating BW OU but I don't have a big enough brain for it :p

My favourite archetype to play is Sticky Web offense. People will laugh at that and I certainly don't think it's reliable, but whenever I wanna alleviate my stress or something on the ladder, I love busting out some silly webs I put together in a few minutes and going from there. I don't really enjoy playing stall; it's very methodical and you have to be pretty dang smart to do well with it, so I have a lot of respect for those who can pilot it and even more for those who can build it. It's just not really my thing.

My favourite genre is rock! Lots of subgenres of rock are really good but as a whole, that's what I'm into. I don't have anything that I really dislike, but country music is not my thing rly and I also would rather not listen to grime.

I assume you meant which team of mons would I use, so I whipped something up really quick for fun :3

https://pokepast.es/d93035c147f5eb63
Just a pretty cool hazard-based offense, hard to do much with the super limited pool of mons. Haven't tried it out, but it might be viable!

And finally, thank you! <3

was nice reading about ur background on smogon!! and discovering these guys' name! Now onto the most random questions I could think of in like 3 minutes.
  • Favorite Pikaclone after Togedemaru? Why?
  • Least favorite Pikaclone? Why?
  • If you could press a button that would give us gen 5 remakes on the switch that fix all the problems of Sword & Shield, but also making 5 completely random lines of Pokémon to stop existing forever in the process, would you do it? Why?
  • Any other game you've ever played competitively? If so, which ones?
  • If you could swap a Pokémon that is UU right now with a Pokémon that is in OU (or UUBL) (as in the UU Pokémon goes to OU or UUBL, and vice versa), which two would you choose, and why?
  • Name change to lildemaru when?
  • Favorite gym (considering puzzle, leader, trainers, theme, etc)? Why?
  • If you could steal a badge from me, which one would you pick? Why?
Does Mimikyu count? If so, that. If not, Emolga! As I said, I started with BW, and Emolga's design is absolutely adorable. I also think it's one of the few mons that benefited from the transition to 3D models, so that's pretty cool.

Not really a Dedenne fan. I'm not sure why, its design just doesn't really appeal to me, and I feel like Electric/Fairy was a really wasted typing on it. At least we got Koko to make up for that, though. I don't dislike Dedenne at all, I think all the clones are cool enough, it's just the one I'd be least keen on.

Technically they wouldn't stop existing forever, as National Dex has proven - memories don't disappear that easily! That said, no I wouldn't. I firmly believe that every mon is someone's favourite and I don't think I'd really be able to live with myself if I knew I was the reason some poor kid had their favourite mon taken away from them ;-; Plus, I don't feel like there are that many issues with SWSH to begin with soooo /shrug

I'd choose to move Gigalith to OU because there'd really be no downside to it now that we have TTar, and I'd bring Excadrill down because I'm an anarchist and want to destroy all the ladder goons with sand for 3 days before it gets banned.

Paypal me $20 and I'll do it

I don't know about "favourite" but Skyla's gym from BW1 really sticks out in my mind as an enjoyable one. Cannoning yourself through the air was pretty hype. I like Milo's gym from SWSH a lot too, mainly bc I LOVE Wooloo and I got to see SO MANY

Top artist bc it's the one I could never get on my own >:3

favorite vegetable?
Carrots!

Have you been exploring any new or unorthodox concepts for teams as of late that you have not seen on the UU ladder that you'd like to share?

What is your stance on Teleport?
I haven't really been exploring too much except for this team which features not one, but TWO crabs. I was inspired by someone on the LC ladder early on in the gen and thought it'd be fun to mess around with it now that we have Crawdaunt back. It's not a great team but it works, surprisingly.

I think Teleport is really, really lame, and if tiering were down to me I'd want it gone. Functionally though, Smogon's system doesn't really allow for that. I do believe it's healthy on some Pokemon too - Slowking and Blissey just happen to be exploiters of the move that I'm not really a fan of, so I definitely want to keep an eye on those in the future.

favorite dunkey video

favorite Donkey video (video featuring Donkey, from Shrek)

why are you such a good room user?
I'm not really convinced that I am! But I'd guess it's just because I'm friendly and like to help out newer players a lot, since I got helped out a lot when I was new too. Feels a bit weird to take and not give back!

Hey, just wanted to ask HOW DID YOU BECOME SO FUCKING HEAT OH MY GODDDDDD
I'M NOT AAAAAAAA

obviously it's a potato. can i get a potatos ranking?

have you ever played kirby? if yes favourite kirby game?

best meme you've come across recently?
It's not a potato, but regardless:
Roasted > chipped > boiled > salad > various pies > the rest

Not in full. I've played through all of Epic Yarn and got through most of Star Allies before forgetting to come back to it, so I guess I kinda have to pick Epic Yarn by default since it's the only one I've finished.

My boyfriend sent me this last night and I lost my shit to say the least

Now I'm going to ping like everyone I've spent some time with before before because I love you all and you deserve to know it. In no particular order:
Chloe Meri Berry Eve Juno Accelgor vivalospride Estarossa Mannat lyd London13 Expulso bugzinator Moutemoute Djokra Ausma termi faded love Donphantastic Cynara Hilomilo Stoward Twilight hs ZoroDark Nuked Indigo Plateau DraconicLepus A Cake Wearing A Hat The Dutch Plumberjack xJoelituh pokeisfun gorex Sensei Axew Panther-T CBU ojr Adaam Freeroamer Cynde gum PinkDragonTamer Renny TSR Averardo LilyAC babyboyblues Serene Grace Corporal Levi Stone_Cold

edit #1: how tf did I forget kaori

All of you have made my time here better in some way, shape or form. Thank you for being you. <3

If I forgot you here (there are almost certainly people that I forgot to tag because I pretty much just scrolled my dms list), it's really not personal - it's just 3:30 AM and I'm SUPER tired. Special thanks to martha who spams poggaroo in my dms all the time and is the single most amazing person I know, and to Sage who's unlikely to see this but I'll probably show it to her in dms - thanks for being my role model and my inspiration. I'm glad you're doing better. <3

Keep the questions coming! Had a ton of fun answers what was asked so far and I look forward to seeing the rest :>

Last edited:

Chloe

is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
NUPL Champion
1. What's your favourite type of chocolate? Milk, white or dark?
2. Thoughts on the band called "The Neighbourhood"?
3. Why didn't Santa bring me any presents last year?
4. Thoughts on coriander?
5. What Pokemon would you like to get high/drunk with?
6. Opinions on Australia?
7. You're trapped in a cake store with a Togedemaru Cake and A Cake Wearing A Hat. What do you eat first?
8. I got scared of the Road Runner from Looney Tunes at a theme park when I was little and now I'm deathly afraid of birds. Can you relate to this?
9. What was your favourite TV show as a child?
10. Lilburr? Like Lil' Burr? You're a rapper?

Technically they wouldn't stop existing forever, as National Dex has proven - memories don't disappear that easily! That said, no I wouldn't. I firmly believe that every mon is someone's favourite and I don't think I'd really be able to live with myself if I knew I was the reason some poor kid had their favourite mon taken away from them ;-; Plus, I don't feel like there are that many issues with SWSH to begin with soooo /shrug
Screen Shot 2020-07-22 at 09.37.18.png

I think you made the right choice! Exploud gets to live another day

1. Should I finally get rid of my roomate Percy? (She stays inside my hollow bedroom walls, makes for good company but never pays for rent.)
2. If so, what method would be best? Spraying RAID works well, but the problem lies in fetching the body. Swatting her with a broom is difficult as female roaches fly.
3. Finally, what's the best way to really get to be apart of the UU commumity? (Other than winning touranments plz, I'm trash)

Lily

wouldn't that be fine, dear
is a Tutoris a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnus
UU Leader
Thoughts on The Beatles?
I'm definitely not the biggest Beatles fan but I don't think it's possible to dislike some of their songs tbh, Hey Jude is obviously iconic but I've always loved Love Me Do and Yellow Submarine too! bonus meme

what’s it like being the coolest user alive?
Sounds like a question for martha

1. What's your favourite type of chocolate? Milk, white or dark?
2. Thoughts on the band called "The Neighbourhood"?
3. Why didn't Santa bring me any presents last year?
4. Thoughts on coriander?
5. What Pokemon would you like to get high/drunk with?
6. Opinions on Australia?
7. You're trapped in a cake store with a Togedemaru Cake and A Cake Wearing A Hat. What do you eat first?
8. I got scared of the Road Runner from Looney Tunes at a theme park when I was little and now I'm deathly afraid of birds. Can you relate to this?
9. What was your favourite TV show as a child?
10. Lilburr? Like Lil' Burr? You're a rapper?
1) Milk!
2) I'm largely unfamiliar with their stuff but my vague memories seem positive if that helps D: I'll be sure to listen to some things after this
3) You must've been naughty :(
4) Isn't that the DS game with the highest score on Metacritic?
5) I think this is why Santa didn't bring you any presents
6) I want to visit! Australian accents are the cutest thing ever, too. Don't think I'd like to live there though; the government is ??? and the timezone is just too far away from everyone I love ;-;
7) The Togedemaru Cake bc realistically I want one on my birthday and I can't be debated about whether or not I just committed cannibalism
8) No.
9) If I had to pick one I'd probably say Drake and Josh but oml I had soOOoOo MANY like I LOVED Kim Possible, Phineas and Ferb, SpongeBob, Fairly Odd Parents, Good Luck Charlie of all fuckin things like I watched So Much TV and I wish I still did tbh
10) No comment

Is it better to do a good job and be on time or do a perfect job but be late, and why?
I think it's really dependent on the thing. Some things just have strict deadlines and that's that; you'll never get those perfect, and that's okay, because they're not supposed to be. If you can delay something by a short time in order to perfect it, though, I'd absolutely take that option as long as the consequences are outweighed by the net positives gained by doing a perfect job as opposed to a good one. There's a quote out there about rushed games being bad and delayed games eventually being good, and I think that applies here.

1. Should I finally get rid of my roomate Percy? (She stays inside my hollow bedroom walls, makes for good company but never pays for rent.)
2. If so, what method would be best? Spraying RAID works well, but the problem lies in fetching the body. Swatting her with a broom is difficult as female roaches fly.
3. Finally, what's the best way to really get to be apart of the UU commumity? (Other than winning touranments plz, I'm trash)
1) If she's not bothering you then I would not recommend it, Percy sounds harmless and I doubt she's hurting anyone!
2) DO NOT KILL HER
3) There are a few ways; you've already been doing a great job of interacting on forums in our various projects and stuff, but there are more ways. Being an admirable contributor to our room on PS! is really appreciated, and there are always people who are down to talk in the UU Discord! In general, socialising with those who are already an established part of the community tends to introduce you to more people naturally. Keep your best foot forward, take opportunities when they come to you, and it'll work out just fine! We have a very welcoming community, so you're in good hands :>

gum

for the better
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
who's your favourite artist and why is it lana del rey? don't say it isn't her because it is now

thoughts on pu?

why is sm pu the best smogon metagame of all time?

who's the worst uu player and why is it Estarossa?

what's your favourite album and why is it norman fucking rockwell! by lana del rey?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)