Lifestyle physical health/fitness thread

BP

Beers and Steers
is a Contributor to Smogon
Oh and I qualified for drug tested nationals which is pretty cool!

Total: 525kg
Bodyweight: 89.6kg
Squat: 200kg
Paused Bench: 125kg
Deadlift: 200kg
Get some my stole brethren. Make raw eggs fear you and barbells tremble at the sound your lifting shoes make on the wooden platforms. You are a swole king and you will continue to grow into a swole emperor. Fuck these drug tested nationals right in there ass and make these weights your bitch. God bless brethren.

had a mock meet recently, substituting board press for bench press since I have been dealing with some shoulder issues:

bodyweight: 66.7kg
squat: 155kg
board press: 90kg misgroove (not uploaded)
sumo deadlift: 200kg

I went 8/9, missing a 92.5kg board press 3rd attempt. i was a few hundred grams away from a triple bodyweight deadlift, which is cool! hoping to reach 500lb by the end of 2022. long term i will probably compete at 75kg. kinda funny and also sad that i will probably deadlift 5 plates before i bench 2.

my goals have changed so wildly since my last post too, haha. fucking around with front levers, running, and bullshit. now I just want as big of a powerlifting total as I can get. off season starts next week!

Last edited:

Pak

vortex
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
I finally got my 315 lb bench a couple months ago at around 218 lb bodyweight. It took a bunch of attempts and frustration, but we finally got there and its lowkey surreal. It was really the only strength goal I've had beyond getting to a 300 lb bench last year. Honestly it's been kind of weird since that was such a big goal for so long, then I haven't had anything clear to work toward since. Whatever the case, for a long time it never really crossed my mind that reaching this sort of goal was even possible, considering my first attempt ever at benching I got 85 lbs as a super skinny 14 year old however many years ago. At the time I couldn't imagine 135 even feeling easy at some point. Still, it feels like I need to find something else to not get too complacent like I did the month or so after that big PR. It can be so easy to just show up and mail it in if there's nothing bigger to work toward, but idk I really need to sit down and decide what the move is from here.

I recently injured my back after overdoing it at the gym and have slowly been easing back physical activity into my routine. I've been doing a lot of yoga, and find that it both helps relieve stress and really works the core. It's been a lifesaver since I haven't been able to go to the gym, and will definitely be something I do regularly even after I fully heal.

This link's a great starting point for those looking to start:

Fishy

tits McGee (๑˃̵ᴗ˂̵)
last gym visit, i had pushed and pulled and lifted and rotated my arms/wrists so much doing various exercises that my HANDS were sore. this is awesome because that means i am finally triggering enough activation in my hands for actual growth, as my wrists are soo dainty and flimsy, and i really want to reinforce my grip strength and joint strength !!

so while it was SO FRUSTRATING to feel like i had growing pains in my hands i realized it was a good thing and then i was able to feel okay about it haha, but at first... f that

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Missed a few posts in here, just wanted to say a collective "fuck yeah" to all of you that are smashing your goals.

As for me, nationals is in 7 weeks and I'm on track to definitely PB on deadlifts and squats so long as I don't tear a lower-body muscle 2 weeks before comp this time around haha.

Even with bench it looks like I'm on track to hit a paused pb, but it's always the most fiddly and technical of the lifts so I'm not as confident in guaranteeing it there!

Fishy

tits McGee (๑˃̵ᴗ˂̵)
did a lil circuit with my 25lb kettle bell, i like to do 3 sets of squats -> deadlifts -> bent-over rows with it before i set it down to rest each set. was very wobbly at the end because i hadnt done it in a minute, but i love that i still retained the ROM ive been working on to open up my hips. real progress is hard to lose so long as you're kinda consistent?? thanks body :boi:

Myzozoa

to find better ways to say what nobody says
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Does anyone have any advice for long distance running training for anyone whose only sporting experience is via sprint-based sports? Besides "just run lol" ofc

1. Stretch before you run, I cannot stress this enough, you are probably not a trained distance runner that has good form for running. This means you have an excellent chance of injuring yourself if you do not warm-up. Do jumping jacks before you stretch (50-100 should do it)or something else like jump rope so that you're already warm for your stretching. Do not neglect your ankles, when u neglect your ankles the effect will be felt at the knee and hip.

2. To build up to distance alternate between running and walking for a period (say 1/2 mile running-> half mile walking->half mile running again, and repeat going more each workout). When I'm horribly out of shape I might start with 1.5 miles alternating between running and walking. thats like zero for me, and then each work out I add more distance. When you can get to the point where you can run 3 miles or so without stopping or walking:

3. Integrate sprints: do 1/8-1/4 mile sprints followed by 1/4 jog, alternating between sprint and jog. A pro athlete who aims to break down an opponent through endurance (think squash, badminton, etc) can do this for ~6 miles maybe more. Personally I have never been at the point of being able to do this for any real extended period, but it's something to aspire to.

To make progress and build endurance I've found that I need to run at least twice a week, with 3x a week being much better in many ways as it just feels easier, fsr, the more often you do it.

Fishy

tits McGee (๑˃̵ᴗ˂̵)
Does anyone have any advice for long distance running training for anyone whose only sporting experience is via sprint-based sports? Besides "just run lol" ofc
all of the advice myzozoa offered is excellent, i would also maybe suggest adding some leg-targeted lifting to promote your stamina/help with flexibility. a neat thing i learned kinda about how the brain "lets" your body do anything is that flexibility is largely determined by your brain being like "nope, you're not strong enough to come out of that position if i let you get into it" and through my own experience i've noticed my flexibility improving/remaining relative to the strength training i'm doing and the type of movements i'm incorporating while strength training

so! don't underestimate the power of adding muscular strength while also improving stamina/endurance! i really love going for a run a day or two after a day of heavy leg lifting bc i'm engaging my muscles in a different way/also helps to get rid of some lactic acid build up. good luck runner!!

Last edited:

Surgo

goes to eleven
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Trying to get my conditioning back to a good spot while not losing any strength/size. Not very much in the way of words on the internet about that specific thing.

I managed to run a 10-minute mile yesterday, which I haven't done since, like...high school. Hoping to get that down to 7 or 8.

I've recently started to pick up running twice a week for 20 mins each in addition to my 3 times a week gym routine

I feel great outside the gym, my stamina that was always lacking is now decent and it's just nice to spend more time outside. But man, my lower body still has a while to get used to the extra workload. I haven't PR'd my deadlift in weeks and even lost some weights of my PR recently. I think it will be an additional week or two until I can break through the 125kg and get used to it all

How's your fellas routine? Do you just focus on stamina, strength, or do you try to get a balance of both?

Recently took a big strength explosion but in the last week, my performance dropped dead. My body just can't deal with the intensity and my muscles don't recover as they usually do. Guess progressively overloading for months straight gets some fatigue in

So I'll deload this week and it legit frustrates me so fucking much. I still do cardio but I have too much leftover energy and I have no idea what the fuck to do. I know it makes no sense but I legit feel like I waste all my time without fucking up my muscles

Really looking forward to next week. Hope it will work

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
http://instagr.am/p/CkVSTQABgqq/
First of 2 sets of 4 at 195kg / 430lbs.

Considering this was only 5kg under my max a year ago and I was about 87.8kg/193lb in this video (so notably lighter than last year), it's pretty exciting to see how much stronger I've got.

My projected 1rm is around 240kg now, or 528lb.

Hope everyone is staying active - I wanna see some of your fitness achievements / things you're proud of!!

Have been trying OMAD for close to a year now and it working pretty good. Saves a lot of time and increases productivity. Looking to start tracking health metrics and set some strength/cardio goals. First goal is to at least 1.5 times my BW

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)