Resource Pet Mods Workshop Thread

AquaticPanic

Intentional Femboy Penguin
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor
Community Leader
1672958700944.png

After its huge success last gen, Fusion Evolutionis planned to return in Gen 9! We do have a few adjustments to how some of the submission process will work, so we wanted to let it be shown here in the workshop before the mod is properly submitted. Be sure to read the rules even if you're a veteran!

Pet Mod Concept: A brand new metagame is created by fusing two existing Pokémon into a new one

Submission Rules:

- The fusion inherits one type from each parent. So, for an example, a fusion between Kilowattrel and Togedemaru could be any of Electric / Flying, Electric / Steel, Flying / Steel or Pure Electric.

- To get the stats of the Fusion, you simply average the stats of both Pokemon, rounded down. Then, you may have a total of up to +20 to add to its bst. However, this aditional +20 is opitional. (In previous gens, this used to be a +40. Its been nerfed as FE Council noticed some stat bloating in past metas, which the nerf should help mitigate).

- The ability should be a mix of the effects of one of each of the abilities that the parents have. In our Kilowattrel/Togedemaru example, you would choose one of Wind Power/Volt Absorb/Competitive and mix its effects with one of Iron Barbs/Lightning Rod/Sturdy. You can also just make it an ability that has the same effect as two other abilities, similar to As One. (This rule is unchanged from how it worked in Gen 8)

- If both of the abilities fused have the same effect (Say, I fuse Technician Cinccino with Technician Scizor), or if one of the used abilities is Run Away, Honey Gather, Ball Fetch or Illuminate, you gain an aditional +20 to freely distribute in stats (with a cap of +20 in a single stat). If two abilities with no in-battle effects are fused, the boost is instead +30. These boosts are entirely opitional and you don't have to use the full stat boosts. (Despite the old +5 all around being an interesting idea in concept, it wasn't all that useful in practice and you'd rarely ever see this rule play out. The new way that stats work should encourage same-ability combos at least a little, adding some depth to the fusion-creating process)

- The fusion gets the movepool of both parents. The movepool used to determine this is the most recently available movepool for each parent, in the priority of SV > SwSh > BDSP > USUM. If a Pokémon recieves a movepool change mid gen, the fusion will be adjusted accordingly. (Despite the controversial shift in a lot of movepools recently, council decided that this would be best in the end. It should also make for a more interesting submission process as it makes certain moves a lot more rare, incresing diversity in what Pokémon people pick for fusing with)

Miscellaneous:

- Eternal Floette will no longer be allowed to be used in fusions. (Council decided that as it was a Pokémon that never was released to public and currently isn't even in the recent games' codes anymore, it wouldn't make sense for it to be allowed to be used in fusions)

- LCs and NFEs no longer are forced to inherit the same stat boosts as their parents, now being able to freely invest in whichever stat they need. (This rule was mostly kept last gen as the mod was following what had been established in previous FE rules. As Gen 8 allowed us to put it in practice and test the LCs and NFEs under a more competitive roof, we realised it was rather restraining and didn't really have much positives. This new take should not only allow for a more balanced LC metagame but also let some of the NFEs have a better chance at being usable)

- Terastal will start off banned. (While its been voted to stay in OU, council believes that by virtue of Fusions getting effective double the movepool of an usual mon, Terastal would be a disaster as a huge part of the roster would have many unpredictable sets as they would have a large option of moves to gain a new STAB on. Not only that, but it would be generally a lot harder to balance submissions around the mechanic, and we ultimately agree that banning it right awayis a net positive)

- Mega Evolutions and Ultra Necrozma are still allowed. However, Ultra Necrozium cannot trigger Light That Burns The Sky. (Slight simplification on how Ultra Necrozma fusion works; doesn't really have any effect on how it plays)

That should be all! We just wanted to make these rule changes known to public in advance so that our playerbase can get used to them.

quziel

I am the Scientist now
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
This has been percolating in my head for a while. Heavy WIP as I've not ironed out most of the kinks of the idea. But its a workshop thread for a reason I suppose.
Pet Mod Name: G.O.A.T.S.
Pet Mod Concept: We vote for mons of any meta that has ever existed, balance them to a common level (this would likely be adjusting BST), and then shove them all into the same meta. Mons should be selected based on how compelling they are, rather than strict strength. BWZU Emolga should be just as legal to submit as SMOU Greninja-Ash.
Explanation: This will be run in stages.
1) Selection Stage
a) Submission Stage:
The community submits Pokemon from any meta they choose, highlighting why they think the mon is super interesting, super compelling, or why they otherwise think it would be a good addition to this synthetic meta.
b) Voting Stage:
A slate is then compiled, and the community votes on one (or more) Pokemon to include in the meta
2) Balancing Stage:
After some number of Pokemon are selected through stage 1, the community will sequentially balance the selected mons to a common baseline. I expect this will mainly be adjusting BST, as moves / abilities are central to Pokemon, but in theory it could be adjusting levels.
3) Playtest Stage:
After some number of stage 1) and 2) we'll have enough mons for a playable meta, and then will aim to host a tournament or similar.

Miscellaneous:
Some initial thoughts I have.
Issues:
Mechanics could be specific to the mons chosen. There's no point in including Gen1 Alakazam if it can't abuse both the busted gen1 special stat, and also the busted gen1 crit rates. However, this then raises a few questions w.r.t. typings. Do we simply use the modern type-chart, is it even possible to have a type chart that dynamically adjusts based on the gens the mons are from (likely no). How to handle evs on mons from before gen3, and how to handle hidden power on mons from gens 3-5.

Items and moves are the next big part. To bring up Gen1 Alakazam again, part of its brokenness was due to Psychic having a 33% special drop chance. Before starting we'd need to adjudicate how moves that exist in multiple gens work. This could be creating a "signature move" for early gen moves with substantially different mechanics. This then raises the question of how to handle Burn / Para. Finally, what item set would be desired.
Should we default to gen9 items, eg HDB, Covert Cloak, are early gen items desirable? is it possible to code specific items to specific mons?

Eligibility is next; should we allow for every meta, including LC and DOU, where mechanics are substantially different from any standard singles meta. I'd vote no on this, as replicating even a LC style mon in level 100 matches is very hard (damage ranges difficult), let alone a DOU mon (how is this even possible). In principle this also extends to BSS, but there's not insurmountable differences there beyond SSBSS including Dynamax.

A final issue that pops to my head is repeats. If we select RBY Alakazam does that prevent us from selecting BW Alakazam? Personally I'd lean towards yes, but this is something I feel should be discussed.

Proposed Solution:
Now that I've raised a lot of issues, I'd propose my solution to this, though I'd appreciate feedback.
EVs: For gen1 and gen2 mons, I feel we should adjust base stats to reflect how DVs work in that gen and then allow standard EV'ing. This could allow for weird stat spreads to result from more custom EV spreads, but c'est la vie. Personally I'd do something like "give Alakazam 145 spD and 135 spA so that when it runs 252 spA its got similar to regular stats". The exact numbers here aren't perfect, and would have to be part of the Balancing Stage, but you get what I mean.

Items: I'd propose that we follow the gen9 item set, and allow old gen mons to hold any item they want. This does create issues with potential old-gen mons having access to a lot more power than they should (RBY CB Tauros ig?), but ultimately this also helps us a ton by really bringing these early gen mons up to modern power levels. This does create an issue when looking at items that are snapped, eg a lot of Gen5 and Gen7 mons are defined by Gems and Z-moves. Personally I'd say let it lie, but there's a case for adopting the Nat Dex itemset, if only to handle the Z-move aspect.

Generational Gimmicks: This is relevant to gens 7 and 9 (we can handle megas fairly easily), but how do we want to handle Z-moves and Tera. I don't have a good solution here, as allowing or disallowing Tera is likely something that we can only do globally. I suppose we could simply just not have any tera typings released for basically anything, but that feels inefficient. Personally I'd be in favor of restricting all generational gimmicks besides megas, but again I want input here.

Crit Rate: Personally I'd default to modern crit mechanics, with the caveat that we create a custom ability or two "Gen1 Crits", that boost any selected gen1 mons up to their gen1 crit rates.

Status: This is another place where I'd like feedback. Ultimately if any gen6 stallbreaker or bulky water mons are selected, a ton of those mon's power level is gen6 (and earlier) burn. Forcing them to run modern burn completely kneecaps a mon like ORAS NU Mismagius, ORAS OU Volcanion, or similar. This is a place where we could again do some coding, eg by creating a "mega burn" or a "mega paralysis", but I don't have a great solution here.

Changed Moves: This is the final big one. To pick on RBY again, Hyper Beam is a huge part of a Pokemon like Tauros's power, and making it use later gen's Hyper Beam kneecaps it. We could basically just say Hyper Beam is gen1 Hyper Beam and nuke it from every other included's mon movepool (as nothing really runs Hyper Beam), but then we'd have to repeat the discussion with Gen1 Psychic. Perhaps the easiest solution is to create a custom move in relevant cases.

Type Chart: This is mainly relevant for gen1 Psychics and gen <5 dragons, but the inclusion of the Dark and Fairy typings both hugely affect what kinda sets those mons can run. This is the part where I'm genuinely the most uncertain. My instincts are to stick with the modern type chart, and just let the affected mons deal with it (aka we can rebalance them). Though again, we could just use a custom element (not preferred here).

Rebalancing: A lot of mons selected will likely be far off of the proposed power level. Letting people nominate BWZU Emolga to the same format as SSAG Zacian-Crowned will make getting power level right difficult. When is the best time to do rebalancing, aka how many mons should we have before deciding our common power level. What should the common power level be? Should we revisit mons once more stuff enters the meta? how often? Next how should we rebalance. Personally I'd vote on restricting mons to a heavily pared down moveset (only moves they actually run), and then rebalance from there to prevent any mechanics changes from unintentionally affecting power level. Base stat scaling is the obvious target, as it directly controls the power level of the mons, but stats don't scale linearly with base stats. And if we increase a mon's total BST to compete, should the boosts be applied to every stat, or should we have more discretion to keep the mon's playstyle intact.

Can't think of any other huge factors.

Sorry, put these in a hide tag cause I ended up having a lot of thoughts.

I didn't realize I'd need 15 posts to formally submit, and am unsure if I'll do that, but w/e, I'll put this up because I can.

This has been percolating in my head for a while. Heavy WIP as I've not ironed out most of the kinks of the idea. But its a workshop thread for a reason I suppose.
Pet Mod Name: G.O.A.T.S.
Pet Mod Concept: We vote for mons of any meta that has ever existed, balance them to a common level (this would likely be adjusting BST), and then shove them all into the same meta. Mons should be selected based on how compelling they are, rather than strict strength. BWZU Emolga should be just as legal to submit as SMOU Greninja-Ash.
Explanation: This will be run in stages.
1) Selection Stage
a) Submission Stage:
The community submits Pokemon from any meta they choose, highlighting why they think the mon is super interesting, super compelling, or why they otherwise think it would be a good addition to this synthetic meta.
b) Voting Stage:
A slate is then compiled, and the community votes on one (or more) Pokemon to include in the meta
2) Balancing Stage:
After some number of Pokemon are selected through stage 1, the community will sequentially balance the selected mons to a common baseline. I expect this will mainly be adjusting BST, as moves / abilities are central to Pokemon, but in theory it could be adjusting levels.
3) Playtest Stage:
After some number of stage 1) and 2) we'll have enough mons for a playable meta, and then will aim to host a tournament or similar.

Miscellaneous:
Some initial thoughts I have.
Issues:
Mechanics could be specific to the mons chosen. There's no point in including Gen1 Alakazam if it can't abuse both the busted gen1 special stat, and also the busted gen1 crit rates. However, this then raises a few questions w.r.t. typings. Do we simply use the modern type-chart, is it even possible to have a type chart that dynamically adjusts based on the gens the mons are from (likely no). How to handle evs on mons from before gen3, and how to handle hidden power on mons from gens 3-5.

Items and moves are the next big part. To bring up Gen1 Alakazam again, part of its brokenness was due to Psychic having a 33% special drop chance. Before starting we'd need to adjudicate how moves that exist in multiple gens work. This could be creating a "signature move" for early gen moves with substantially different mechanics. This then raises the question of how to handle Burn / Para. Finally, what item set would be desired.
Should we default to gen9 items, eg HDB, Covert Cloak, are early gen items desirable? is it possible to code specific items to specific mons?

Eligibility is next; should we allow for every meta, including LC and DOU, where mechanics are substantially different from any standard singles meta. I'd vote no on this, as replicating even a LC style mon in level 100 matches is very hard (damage ranges difficult), let alone a DOU mon (how is this even possible). In principle this also extends to BSS, but there's not insurmountable differences there beyond SSBSS including Dynamax.

A final issue that pops to my head is repeats. If we select RBY Alakazam does that prevent us from selecting BW Alakazam? Personally I'd lean towards yes, but this is something I feel should be discussed.

Proposed Solution:
Now that I've raised a lot of issues, I'd propose my solution to this, though I'd appreciate feedback.
EVs: For gen1 and gen2 mons, I feel we should adjust base stats to reflect how DVs work in that gen and then allow standard EV'ing. This could allow for weird stat spreads to result from more custom EV spreads, but c'est la vie. Personally I'd do something like "give Alakazam 145 spD and 135 spA so that when it runs 252 spA its got similar to regular stats". The exact numbers here aren't perfect, and would have to be part of the Balancing Stage, but you get what I mean.

Items: I'd propose that we follow the gen9 item set, and allow old gen mons to hold any item they want. This does create issues with potential old-gen mons having access to a lot more power than they should (RBY CB Tauros ig?), but ultimately this also helps us a ton by really bringing these early gen mons up to modern power levels. This does create an issue when looking at items that are snapped, eg a lot of Gen5 and Gen7 mons are defined by Gems and Z-moves. Personally I'd say let it lie, but there's a case for adopting the Nat Dex itemset, if only to handle the Z-move aspect.

Generational Gimmicks: This is relevant to gens 7 and 9 (we can handle megas fairly easily), but how do we want to handle Z-moves and Tera. I don't have a good solution here, as allowing or disallowing Tera is likely something that we can only do globally. I suppose we could simply just not have any tera typings released for basically anything, but that feels inefficient. Personally I'd be in favor of restricting all generational gimmicks besides megas, but again I want input here.

Crit Rate: Personally I'd default to modern crit mechanics, with the caveat that we create a custom ability or two "Gen1 Crits", that boost any selected gen1 mons up to their gen1 crit rates.

Status: This is another place where I'd like feedback. Ultimately if any gen6 stallbreaker or bulky water mons are selected, a ton of those mon's power level is gen6 (and earlier) burn. Forcing them to run modern burn completely kneecaps a mon like ORAS NU Mismagius, ORAS OU Volcanion, or similar. This is a place where we could again do some coding, eg by creating a "mega burn" or a "mega paralysis", but I don't have a great solution here.

Changed Moves: This is the final big one. To pick on RBY again, Hyper Beam is a huge part of a Pokemon like Tauros's power, and making it use later gen's Hyper Beam kneecaps it. We could basically just say Hyper Beam is gen1 Hyper Beam and nuke it from every other included's mon movepool (as nothing really runs Hyper Beam), but then we'd have to repeat the discussion with Gen1 Psychic. Perhaps the easiest solution is to create a custom move in relevant cases.

Type Chart: This is mainly relevant for gen1 Psychics and gen <5 dragons, but the inclusion of the Dark and Fairy typings both hugely affect what kinda sets those mons can run. This is the part where I'm genuinely the most uncertain. My instincts are to stick with the modern type chart, and just let the affected mons deal with it (aka we can rebalance them). Though again, we could just use a custom element (not preferred here).

Rebalancing: A lot of mons selected will likely be far off of the proposed power level. Letting people nominate BWZU Emolga to the same format as SSAG Zacian-Crowned will make getting power level right difficult. When is the best time to do rebalancing, aka how many mons should we have before deciding our common power level. What should the common power level be? Should we revisit mons once more stuff enters the meta? how often? Next how should we rebalance. Personally I'd vote on restricting mons to a heavily pared down moveset (only moves they actually run), and then rebalance from there to prevent any mechanics changes from unintentionally affecting power level. Base stat scaling is the obvious target, as it directly controls the power level of the mons, but stats don't scale linearly with base stats. And if we increase a mon's total BST to compete, should the boosts be applied to every stat, or should we have more discretion to keep the mon's playstyle intact.

Can't think of any other huge factors.

Sorry, put these in a hide tag cause I ended up having a lot of thoughts.

I didn't realize I'd need 15 posts to formally submit, and am unsure if I'll do that, but w/e, I'll put this up because I can.
Weird for me to say, since I still consider myself pretty new here, but welcome to Pet Mods. I was surprised to see a new moderator in the thread, but your mod proposal piqued my interest. You see, a bit over a year ago, a mod called
:bw/pikachu:Multiverse:sv/pikachu:
began (yes this is also an announcement that I wanna make this because I’m lazy and don’t want to make two messages).

Multiverse was 8 slates long, with one slate per generation. In each slate, modders would take a Pokémon that was introduced in that generation, find a role it had in any tier from any generation, and change its stats, typing, moves, and/or abilities in order to better suit a modern OU-adjacent metagame.

For an example, in the 4th slate of the original mod, everyone had to use Pokémon from Gen 4. One Pokémon I submitted was Munchlax, and I used its XY LC Physically Offensive Tank build as a base to buff its stats, change its moveset, and add the Fairy typing since it was introduced in Gen 6.

After submissions were over in a slate, people were able to vote on their 8 favorite submissions, and the 8 mons with the highest point counts were accepted into the mod.

For this generation, Multiverse would have 9 slates, so perhaps we’d only let people vote for 7 mons (and let 7 in) to have a total of 63 Pokémon by the end of the mod, as opposed to Gen 8’s 64, which ended up being quite a good number. That aside, I appreciated how the mod was ran overall, and if given the opportunity I may not change much else.

Unfortunately, the original creator of Multiverse has left Smogon indefinitely. That’s why I’d appreciate the opportunity to pick this mod back up.

quziel, if you’re interested in helping me bring Multiverse back, due to its resemblance to your concept, feel free to contact me over Discord. No matter what happens, however, I hope you enjoy your time here at Pet Mods.

quziel

I am the Scientist now
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
The changes allowed in that mod are too much for me. Its not bringing mons from different metas together if you're allowing changes as major as typing changes. Instead its creating new mons using the old mons as a base, and making a meta from that. The pet mod seems fine, its just not for me.

Based on a thought I had in the shower:

What if we removed all randomness from Pokemon?
It would serve to make the game more skill-based, but would also require a lot of rebalancing.

Right now, the main sources of randomness are:
Damage, Critical hits, Random secondary effects, Accuracy

Damage is easy to fix - simply set the random element of the damage formula to a fixed value.

Critical hits: The main issues here are how we would rebalance attacks and abilities that increase crit chances.
Currently crits have 3 effects: 1.5x damage, ignore user attack drops, ignore opponents defence boosts

Guaranteed crit moves could simply have all three effects: So wicked blow is now a 110 BP move that ignores the users attack drops and opponents defence boosts. Easy.

Raised crit chance moves like Night Slash or Leaf Blade could be given some of the boons of a crit:
So maybe Leaf Blade ignores the opponents defence boosts (and/or the users attack drops, but that might be too powerful)

Accuracy: I don't know how people feel about this one. I think having moves randomly miss makes the game less skill-based, and is more trouble than its worth.
Instead, set all moves power to their old power x their old accuracy and give them accuracy 100.
So Fire Blast now has 95 base power, and Focus Blast has 85.
We would probably need to give these moves new unique effects to differentiate them from flamethrower and aura sphere.

Moves like sleep powder would need big changes as well, but I honestly think sleep needs to be overhauled anyway.

Random Secondary effects
Random flinching, random burns/paralysis, or heaven forbid freezes aren't fun to play against, and not very rewarding to use.
However, moves having secondary effects is still cool (plus interactions with things like sheer force), so what if, instead, we gave the moves conditions to activate their secondary effects.

Eg:
Flamethrower, power 90, 10% chance to burn –> Flamethrower, power 90, will burn if it reduces an opponent to below 50% health
I am sure there are much better ways to implement something like this, so feel free to leave suggestions below.

Based on a thought I had in the shower:

What if we removed all randomness from Pokemon?
It would serve to make the game more skill-based, but would also require a lot of rebalancing.

Right now, the main sources of randomness are:
Damage, Critical hits, Random secondary effects, Accuracy

Damage is easy to fix - simply set the random element of the damage formula to a fixed value.

Critical hits: The main issues here are how we would rebalance attacks and abilities that increase crit chances.
Currently crits have 3 effects: 1.5x damage, ignore user attack drops, ignore opponents defence boosts

Guaranteed crit moves could simply have all three effects: So wicked blow is now a 110 BP move that ignores the users attack drops and opponents defence boosts. Easy.

Raised crit chance moves like Night Slash or Leaf Blade could be given some of the boons of a crit:
So maybe Leaf Blade ignores the opponents defence boosts (and/or the users attack drops, but that might be too powerful)

Accuracy: I don't know how people feel about this one. I think having moves randomly miss makes the game less skill-based, and is more trouble than its worth.
Instead, set all moves power to their old power x their old accuracy and give them accuracy 100.
So Fire Blast now has 95 base power, and Focus Blast has 85.
We would probably need to give these moves new unique effects to differentiate them from flamethrower and aura sphere.

Moves like sleep powder would need big changes as well, but I honestly think sleep needs to be overhauled anyway.

Random Secondary effects
Random flinching, random burns/paralysis, or heaven forbid freezes aren't fun to play against, and not very rewarding to use.
However, moves having secondary effects is still cool (plus interactions with things like sheer force), so what if, instead, we gave the moves conditions to activate their secondary effects.

Eg:
Flamethrower, power 90, 10% chance to burn –> Flamethrower, power 90, will burn if it reduces an opponent to below 50% health
I am sure there are much better ways to implement something like this, so feel free to leave suggestions below.
hi hii, i might be wrong but this feels more like a solomod to me than a pet mod. Though it's a little similar to Gen 8's Bust a Move way of changing moves' effects and BP, i don't think this would be that unique because it's just a "what if rng was gone". Definitely works as a solomod though, or even an OM. at least that's what i think ^^;

Pet Mod Name: "WILD" or "THE WILD""
Edit: "NatDex AG WILD" would be a better name because otherwise casual players will not realise what the new format is and won't even try it. This is particularly relevant as it will be a format mostly for casual players, so.... better get the target audience aware of it.

Pet Mod Concept: basically NatDex AG but including all gimmicks, past and future (tera, dyna, etc...)

Explanation:
With all the new gimmicks that have come and gone, appeared and disappeared (such as Tera, Dyanamax, Mega Evolution, Z-Moves, and anything that will come in the future) it is time for a new format, a future-proof format: «WILD»
The WILD format will in essence be what the NatDex AG format could have been. Yes, the WILD format will have a very large player base, it will be one of the most played formats. Success guaranteed.

The main non-negotiable point of WILD is:
  • every gimmick is playable (Tera, Dyna, etc... from all generation, past and future)

In order for the WILD format to be future-proof (i.e. not having problems in the future generations) there needs to be one additional constraint:
  • each pokemon can only have one activatable gimmick enabled.
An activatable gimmick is a gimmick that requires an activation box in-game. For example in order to mega-evolve you click the mega-evolve box in-game. Same for Dyna, same for Tera, you click the activation box. Same for Z-Move actually.
The problem is that you cannot have 4 boxes. And even if you could have 4 boxes, what happens when we reach Generation32? We can't have 20 boxes.
So the choice of «which gimmick is enabled» will be made in Teambuilder

Just like a drop-down menu allows you to select the type of the Terastalisation (in the Teambuilder) you will have a menu where you can select which gimmick is enabled for each pokemon. Even when we reach generation 32, this will be fine, you select in this menu (in Teambuilder) which gimmick is activated on your pokemon. If you select Dynamax, fine, if you select Terastalisation then a new sub menu appears allowing you to choose which Type. So it is a very clean solution for the future, it is future-proof.

Choices that remained to be decided, but less important:
  • do we keep all items as well? (I would tend to say yes)
...and probably some other question that I can't think of right now, but will edit and add accordingly if the comments show that some other questions arise

IF YOU LIKE THE IDEA FEEL FREE TO COPY PASTE IT AND SUBMIT IT AS A NEW POST THREAD HERE or HERE (I can't do either, even though I am an ancient player I only created this account on the forum recently). That would help, thanks.

Last edited:

woo

You'll be UNDER MY WHEELS
is a Pre-Contributor
Pet Mod Name: "WILD" or "THE WILD""

Pet Mod Concept: basically NatDex AG but including all gimmicks, past and future (tera, dyna, etc...)

Explanation:
With all the new gimmicks that have come and gone, appeared and disappeared (such as Tera, Dyanamax, Mega Evolution, Z-Moves, and anything that will come in the future) it is time for a new format, a future-proof format: «WILD»
The WILD format will in essence be what the NatDex AG format could have been. Yes, the WILD format will have a very large player base, it will be one of the most played formats. Success guaranteed.

The main non-negotiable point of WILD is:
  • every gimmick is playable (Tera, Dyna, etc... from all generation, past and future)

In order for the WILD format to be future-proof (i.e. not having problems in the future generations) there needs to be one additional constraint:
  • each pokemon can only have one activatable gimmick enabled.
An activatable gimmick is a gimmick that requires an activation box in-game. For example in order to mega-evolve you click the mega-evolve box in-game. Same for Dyna, same for Tera, you click the activation box. Same for Z-Move actually.
The problem is that you cannot have 4 boxes. And even if you could have 4 boxes, what happens when we reach Generation32? We can't have 20 boxes.
So the choice of «which gimmick is enabled» will be made in Teambuilder

Just like a drop-down menu allows you to select the type of the Terastalisation (in the Teambuilder) you will have a menu where you can select which gimmick is enabled for each pokemon. Even when we reach generation 32, this will be fine, you select in this menu (in Teambuilder) which gimmick is activated on your pokemon. If you select Dynamax, fine, if you select Terastalisation then a new sub menu appears allowing you to choose which Type. So it is a very clean solution for the future, it is future-proof.

Choices that remained to be decided, but less important:
  • do we keep all items as well? (I would tend to say yes)
...and probably some other question that I can't think of right now, but will edit and add accordingly if the comments show that some other questions arise

IF YOU LIKE THE IDEA FEEL FREE TO COPY PASTE IT AND SUBMIT IT AS A NEW POST THREAD HERE or HERE (I can't do either, even though I am an ancient player I only created this account on the forum recently). That would help, thanks.
This would fit more as a solomod, because the mod's premise has 0 community input and it is already finished. I suggest you submit it on the Solomods Megathread on the Solomods subforum.

Besides, i'm not sure If this would be an enjoyable mod due to... its WILD premise, looks like too much to consider lmao. And also kinda broken.

Besides, i'm not sure If this would be an enjoyable mod due to... its WILD premise, looks like too much to consider lmao. And also kinda broken.
That's what NatDex AG has always been up until gen 8 included. And NatDex AG has always been among the top 3 formats with massive player base (just have a look now at how many games are being played as we speak).
Question : NatDex AG is not your main format, you do not play it very often, correct?

(obviously if you do not particularly enjoy NatDex AG in the first place that's because you do not particularly enjoy having everything allowed, no surprise here, it simply is not a format for you. But a majority of NatDex AG players will absolutely love it, they will love WILD, that's for them!)

Dusk Mage Necrozma

formerly XenonHero126
That's what NatDex AG has always been up until gen 8 included. And NatDex AG has always been among the top 3 formats with massive player base (just have a look now at how many games are being played as we speak).
Question : NatDex AG is not your main format, you do not play it very often, correct?

(obviously if you do not particularly enjoy NatDex AG in the first place that's because you do not particularly enjoy having everything allowed, no surprise here, it simply is not a format for you. But a majority of NatDex AG players will absolutely love it, they will love WILD, that's for them!)
Problem is it's extremely similar to an existing meta. It's NDAG with Dynamax. That's all.

I also feel like the majority of NDAG players who would want Dynamax in the tier are casual players. So I doubt many would even be aware of this meta were it to be introduced, especially because it would be most likely exclusive to Dragon Heaven.

Problem is it's extremely similar to an existing meta. It's NDAG with Dynamax. That's all.
True now, but wait for gen10, gen11, gen12....

I also feel like the majority of NDAG players who would want Dynamax in the tier are casual players. So I doubt many would even be aware of this meta were it to be introduced, especially because it would be most likely exclusive to Dragon Heaven.
Agree it would take time for the player base to realise the new format exist. Good point. As such we should rename the format: «NatDex AG WILD»
It will speak for itself, the players will understand.

Thanks for the idea

woo

is a Pre-Contributor
Uhhhhh
Obviously the idea is that his mode be created on the main server
I dont think it would, they already have NDAG and i dont think they would have NDAG + DMax
Also given that choosing a mechanic sounds painful to code into PS!, it probably is doable but unless NDex wants to take that path themselves i dont see any coder doing it for a NDAG+DMax solomod.

I dont think it would, they already have NDAG and i dont think they would have NDAG + DMax
You say "NDAG + DMax", but wait for gen10, and gen11.. etc...

What is suggested here is something forever, future-proof. It won't be just DMax. It will all add-up....

Also, it is suggested to keep all items.

Last edited:

woo

is a Pre-Contributor
Anyways moving on
[Gen 9] Prevos for Everyone
So this Idea has been popping up in my head for quite a while now. I always wanted an LC mod and i think making a mod based on making pre evolutions is a really good way to do this. So the rules are very simple:
  1. The Pokémon chosen to have pre-evolutions must not have pre-evolutions nor evolutions.
  2. The pre-evolution needs to be made with balancing based on Little Cup. https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/lcing-a-brief-guide-to-the-mechanics-of-little-cup.3694689/ this link gives an introduction to LC EVing and stats.
  3. The pre-evolution can't have a completely different typing from the evolution. Typing shouldn't differ too much. Types should be or removed (Bug-type Nymble :nymble: and Bug/Dark-type Lokix :lokix:) or should stay the same. (:Mareanie: and :toxapex:) Exceptions can be made, like how it happens on the Onix line, but it almost always happens like this.
  4. Slates will be chosen until we reach a good amount of new LC mons.
Yes, we will have a council but i'll start simple.
:quaxly: Moretto
:fuecoco: Necrozmancer2

Last edited:
hi hii, i might be wrong but this feels more like a solomod to me than a pet mod. Though it's a little similar to Gen 8's Bust a Move way of changing moves' effects and BP, i don't think this would be that unique because it's just a "what if rng was gone". Definitely works as a solomod though, or even an OM. at least that's what i think ^^;
I think this definitely requires input from multiple people, because of the massive balance changes required.
So it's like Bust a Move, except we are mainly reworking moves centered around randomness.

You say "NDAG + DMax", but wait for gen10, and gen11.. etc...

What is suggested here is something forever, future-proof. It won't be just DMax. It will all add-up....

Also, it is suggested to keep all items.
The main problem with this mentality is that Pet Mods are generational. It doesn't matter what gen 10, gen 11, etc. hold in store, because they don't exist within the scope Gen 9 Pet Mods.
Making promises on unknown, unannounced, and presumably undeveloped future content simply means nothing in this manner of a pitch.
Obviously the idea is that his mode be created on the main server
+ that is also not really under the scope of Pet Mods either. Pet Mods are all hosted via DragonHeaven, with a few at a time being presented to main servers through Pet Mods of the Season. Others mentioned that that this idea would better qualify itself as a Solomod, which is true, however Solomods are a branch off of Pet Mods, and as such are also hosted via the DragonHeaven side-server.

Making promises on unknown, unannounced, and presumably undeveloped future content simply means nothing in this manner of a pitch.
Wanna bet? Save this post link somewhere, let's talk about it when gen11 is out.

+ that is also not really under the scope of Pet Mods either. Pet Mods are all hosted via DragonHeaven,
NatDex AG is a Pet Mod. It exists on the main server. It appears you are mistaken.

It appears my first main criticism came across a bit more aggressive than I intended it to, so I’ll just leave it at this.
NatDex AG is a Pet Mod. It exists on the main server. It appears you are mistaken.
4DC2BCA4-242F-4ACC-B391-08DF5FE0775F.jpeg
F345AAE3-0EF5-424A-9022-EADCB970FCB4.jpeg
Pet Mods and National Dex are treated as two separate entities, both on Pokémon Showdown Servers (where the only Pet Mod on the main server would be the Pet Mod of the Season, currently Joltemons Random Battles) and on Smogon Forums, where Pet Mods and National Dex are listed under separate categories.
That is not to say we do not have Nat Dex-based Pet Mods. In fact, Joltemons, the current Pet Mod of the Season, is based around Nat Dex. However, said Pet Mods, aside from Pet Mod of the Season, only debut on DragonHeaven. Mods here are not created with the sole intention of debuting, and to a greater extent, lasting on Pokémon Showdown main servers.
I hope this clears the air regarding at least one of my main points.

That only applies to Pet Mods that win Pet Mod of the Season. Pet Mods are actually coded on Dragon Heaven, Pet Mods' main server. Please stop trying.
What is the definition of a Pet Mod?
A moderator on the main server in the "ND Other Tier" channel confirmed to me that NatDex AG was a pet mod, and that it was special in the sense that it was treated differently than other pet mods. But still a pet mod as per its characteristics (and thus per definition of Pet Mod).

He told me to post the suggestion here, on pet mods section.

Should that suggestion be posted somewhere else? (do you have a link please)

Pet Mod Name: OneSet
Pet Mod Concept: A metagame where Pokemon are balanced through cutting their movepool down to only 4 (or even 3) moves.
Process Rules: Smogon users submit up to six Pokemon along with a set of 4 moves for them to use. Target power is around NU. When there's a good number submitted, voting happens, in which users can vote for any number of submissions on a score of 1 to 4 (counts as 0 if you don't vote). At the end, the top six Pokemon are added to the meta (12 the first time). Then we play for a bit, have a small tournament, things are banned if overpowered, repeat as long as there's interest.
Justification: A drastic reduction in movepool allows for greater flavor and mechanical variation in which moves a Pokemon actually uses - if Conversion2 is placed on the set for Porygon2, it may be chosen very rarely, but since there's no opportunity cost to running it, it will. Movepool is also an elegant way to control offensive power level without requiring any coding.

There's no official gen 9 NU yet, so I'd want to wait to submit until there's a proper tier there to base this on. (also I don't have posting reqs yet but that'll change as I play more of the mods here)
Any thoughts in the meantime?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)