Resource Pet Mods Simple Questions and Answers Thread

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Greetings, and welcome to the simple questions and answers thread, Pet Mods edition!

Any questions related to Pet Mod formats and Pet Mods as a whole are welcome (provided they are relatively simple to answer), but please keep the following guidelines in mind before posting:
  • Make sure the question you are asking is clear! It's a lot easier for us to help you out if we understand what you're asking.
  • If your question can be answered by a Google search or the Smogdex, please do that as to not clutter the thread.
  • When answering questions, please quote the post you're answering to avoid confusion.
  • In-game questions or questions related to other tiers don't belong here. Ask about OMs here!
  • Be civil when posting please.
Please remember Smogon's own general rules and guidelines as well as the rules of this server listed here when participating in this thread.

Ask away!

G-Luke

And let me get this one out of the way from now, submissions for Generation 8 Pet Mods will be on a short hiatus until a new format for submissions has been finalized. So keep working on your ideas til then! Don't worry you won't have to wait too long!

From the Pet Mods Submission Thread:
Pet Mods can be submitted by anyone who has had at least 15 posts within the Pet Mod thread.
Does this include the old Pet Mod threads? I was active there. Also, I had a submission I submitted in August that never got approved or rejected, do I still need to submit it to the Pet Mods Submission Thread or do I just wait?

speaking of which are approved gen 7 submissions still valid? i have no plans currently but i'd like to know just in case

G-Luke

From the Pet Mods Submission Thread:

Does this include the old Pet Mod threads? I was active there. Also, I had a submission I submitted in August that never got approved or rejected, do I still need to submit it to the Pet Mods Submission Thread or do I just wait?
1. Yes. Those will carry over for the time being.
2. Submit it in the thread. We don't use OM stuff anymore.

speaking of which are approved gen 7 submissions still valid? i have no plans currently but i'd like to know just in case
Better to just resub here.

I assume the 15 posts in the Pet Mods forum thing is only in the Gen 8 forum and that posts from Gen 7 do not count?

I realize that with the existence of RR/IB and the plans to make a gen 1-ized version of the UsUm metagame, that Gen 1 is well represented. With that in mind, Would any of you say there's any worth to reviving The Indigo Meta from last gen? The idea was to have habitable metagames (an OU, UU and LC) representing each type at least once. Another thought was to "revamp" the movesets to get rid of clutter in them like redistributing a nerfed version of Double Team or canonically making Fire Spin (altered to be identical to Will-O-Wisp) a TM to give it to mons like Weezing.

There would be lots of moves with different effects from RR/IB, like Mist altered to act like Safeguard, (usefull in gen 1 due to all the status running around) Clamp becoming a trapping move, Whirlwind becoming a pesudo Defog, and moves that deal damage contradictory to their type. (Specifically Fire/Thunder/Ice Punch, Crabhammer, and Waterfall)

But seriously, would there be any worth to revive the thread?

Can I ask before I make an official submission if it's possible to bring back a Gen 7 solomod (Cool Funky Mode) as a proper Gen 8 pet mod?

Gravity Monkey

Que des barz comme si jtais au hebs
is a Top Artist
I might be stupid, but what exactly defines a pet mod?
Basically, Pet Mods aim to modify pokemon battles using a set of custom changes. They're best explained in opposition to Other Metagames, which I hope you're familiar with.
- Other metagame modify pokemon battles with custom rules that apply to both players and all pokemons, indiscriminately (for example, in Mix and Megas, all pokemon can mega evolve using any stone except for a banlist).
-Pet mods modify pokemon battles with custom elements that are not present in the base game which aren't necessarily available to all pokemon (for example, in Megas For All, some pokemons have custom mega-stones that let them mega-evolve to a custom mega form, but that transformation isnt available to all pokemon and requires to be planified and coded in advance).

I hope that I was clear enough!

Basically, Pet Mods aim to modify pokemon battles using a set of custom changes. They're best explained in opposition to Other Metagames, which I hope you're familiar with.
- Other metagame modify pokemon battles with custom rules that apply to both players and all pokemons, indiscriminately (for example, in Mix and Megas, all pokemon can mega evolve using any stone except for a banlist).
-Pet mods modify pokemon battles with custom elements that are not present in the base game which aren't necessarily available to all pokemon (for example, in Megas For All, some pokemons have custom mega-stones that let them mega-evolve to a custom mega form, but that transformation isnt available to all pokemon and requires to be planified and coded in advance).

Omg, thank you for the HIGHLY detailed response, I really appreciate it!

Gravity Monkey

Que des barz comme si jtais au hebs
is a Top Artist
What is Pet mod, exactly ?

Reactions: R8

G-Luke

if the previous owner allows it, can you continue an dead mod?
If the mod is being rebooted from scratch it needs to go through the proper motions of resubmitting, extraneous cases non withstanding. Because if a mod needs a reboot, it means it died, and the head mods should decide if its worth bringing it back. But if it is simply just an exchange of leaders, then all you need is a simple nod of approval of the leader swap.

I'm under the assumption any Pet Mod would need to be coded yourself- Either way, what are some good resources to learn to code one?

I'm under the assumption any Pet Mod would need to be coded yourself- Either way, what are some good resources to learn to code one?
hello! if you want to learn to code, jump in on the Showdown! Coding Discord, a community of ~100 people dedicated to learning the ins and outs of SD! Coding. You are actually not completely right about coding it yourself, but if you can code it yourself, it'll save a lot of time!

Heyo guys! Just asking, but I was on the Showdown server Dragon Heaven. There were some mods I wanted to try such as Typing: The Mod, but when I selected it as my format, it didn’t work. Any ideas for the cause of that or other servers that have these pet mods playable that work? Thank you so much!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)