Pet Mods General Discussion Thread

Retiered
Basically a Pet Mod version of Tier Shift. Features adding to the BSTs of Pokemon in select tiers and giving them new abilities. Changes are as follows:
UUBL: +10 (you can spread the stat changes out or add them to one stat), <= 1 new ability
UU: +20, <= 1 new ability
RUBL: +30, <= 1 new ability
RU: +40, <= 1 new ability
NUBL: +50, <= 2 new abilities
NU: +60, <= 2 new abilities
PUBL: +70, <= 2 new abilities
PU: +80, <= 3 new abilities
ZU: +90, <= 3 new abilities
NFE: +100, <= 3 new abilities
LC Ubers: +110, <= 3 new abilities
LC: +120, <= 3 new abilities
LC UU: +130, <= 3 new abilities

Last edited:

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Retiered
Basically a Pet Mod version of Tier Shift. Features adding to the BSTs of Pokemon in select tiers and giving them new abilities. Changes are as follows:
OUBL: +10 (you can spread the stat changes out or add them to one stat), <= 1 new ability
UU: +20, <= 1 new ability
RUBL: +30, <= 1 new ability
RU: +40, <= 1 new ability
NUBL: +50, <= 2 new abilities
NU: +60, <= 2 new abilities
PUBL: +70, <= 2 new abilities
PU: +80, <= 3 new abilities
ZU: +90, <= 3 new abilities
NFE: +100, <= 3 new abilities
LC Ubers: +110, <= 3 new abilities
LC: +120, <= 3 new abilities
LC UU: +130, <= 3 new abilities
So a more broken 350 Cup?

Not really seeing who wants to play a more centralised version of that meta

So a more broken 350 Cup?

Not really seeing who wants to play a more centralised version of that meta
probably wasn't clear enough: the +stats are total, so for example you can add 10 points to one stat, 5 points to 2 separate stats, and so on for UUBL.

edit: still wasn't clear enough, probably. lmao. this is not the same as Tier Shift! The +10 means that only 10 points total can be added to all the stats combined. So, a 500 BST mon would end up being 510 if in UUBL.

Last edited:

Samtendo09

Ability: Light Power
is a Pre-Contributor
Another problem is that dumping a lot of points in the best stats would be the norm, or maybe that’s just me.
That often happened to any Pet Mod that don't have "Stat Control", aka discouraging both stat dumping and excessive min-maxing. Rules against excessive stat dumping and instead focus on fixing on some of the major flaws about the Pokémon.

Samtendo09

is a Pre-Contributor
With Sword and Shield officially releasing tomorrow, it will be appropriate for some very important questions to be asked.
  1. Which of the Pet Mods do you want migrated from Gen 7 (or even older than Gen 7) to Gen 8? (It could be the Pet Mod you had made or done by someone else, and you could give us a reason.)
  2. Which of the two "Pokémon Availability" would you prefer for your upcoming Pet Mods; Galar-only, or NatDex? (Some Pet Mods, like Mega For All and Regional Variants, would work better with NatDex, but some Pet Mods can be experimental or more fun with the Galar Dex. You can give a custom answer which is something similar to Clean Slate. Ultimately, this is all about your very own discretion as a Pet Mod contributor.)
  3. What new Pet Mod idea that wasn't done before and that you wanted to try out? (Be sure to check the Cold Storage, Thread Cryonics, Closed Forums, Gen 6/7 Competitive Discussions, Other Megagames and then Pet Mods, to ensure it would not be too similar with any past Pet Mods.)
  4. What would be your biggest concerns for the Pet Mods during Gen 8? (It could be any of the new additions, most notably Dynamax as a whole, or whether or not if any of the upcoming Gen 8 Pokémon should have a little priority for returning Pet Mods.)
  5. And finally, what would made you the most excited about the next Generation of Pet Mods? (For exemple, wanting to improve some Gen 8 mons you (or the "general concensus") in need of improvement.)
Please put all spoilers and datamined information in the spoiler tags.
Have a good day, and see you in Gen 8 Pet Mods!

So, I figured I may as well answer the question, with the release of SwSh in about... 9 hours and 49 minutes.

1. Really any Pet Mod that I've made a winning contribution to. (Megas For All, From Untiered to Ubers, Regional Variants, etc.) AND Evos for Everyone + Clean Slate (Micro). Really, I look at Pet Mods that have an interesting concept, like Megas For All, From Untiered to Ubers, and Regional Variants, or for ones that inspire lots of creativity, like Evos for Everyone and Clean Slate. If a Pet Mod fits under these categories, then it's on my list for transfers.

2. NatDex. Megas For All, Regional Variants, and From Untiered to Ubers are FANTASTIC with NatDex (I don't need to explain why, don't I?). Even stuff like Clean Slate works very well with NatDex availability.

3. I like the idea of a "Manufactured Metagame" Pet Mod. You know, one where we have 4 randomly selected mons and a randomly selected concept (powerful but slow, all-out defensive, etc.). Of course, no min-Maxing.

4. Honestly, I don't have an answer to this question.

5. I like the idea of being able to make Mega Evolutions for Gen 8 mons, because SwSh isn't gonna bring in Mega Evolution - this was the attractive concept of Gens 6 and 7, and as such are my favorite generations to read about and play competitively.

3. I like the idea of a "Manufactured Metagame" Pet Mod. You know, one where we have 4 randomly selected mons and a randomly selected concept (powerful but slow, all-out defensive, etc.). Of course, no min-Maxing.
That sounds like one of my ideas I submitted on here. If you want to submit it, I wouldn't mind. Also wouldn't mind running it with you!

MFA would pretty much be limited to NatDex if everything carries over. I also need to make rankings for the new abilities, either in a new thread or the OP of the old one. Also, should I use the NatDex or the NatDex+ for MFA?

Last edited:
I'd be frank with you, that isn't a stretch. None of the G-Max Moves seems to have any real viability over standard Max Moves though, so take those into consideration.
Then again, there isn't much you can do with Gigantimaxing, mechanically speaking. It's not like megas where you can play around with stats, abilities, and typings to fill different niches. It's just adding an effect to a move.

Was there a Pet Mod that created new signature Z moves, and was it popular? If not, then I don't think this idea will go very far.

1. I started Tetrabilities, so I'd naturally like that to continue if possible. I am excited to work with the new abilities and Pokémon. I can already see great combinations. That said, it was not popular, so I totally understand if it is cut.

I love Megas for All, Battle Ready, Z-Moves Everywhere and Evos for Everyone. I also like Roulette Mons, Eeveed and Pokédex Redone. Sylvemons was also loads of fun. I also support Mega Mirrors and Regional Variants.

2. Megas for All, Mega Mirrors and Z-Moves Everywhere kind of require NatDex. Sylvemons was also designed in a way that fits NatDex better. Battle Ready, Eeveed, Evie for Everyone and Regional Variants could work for GalarOnly, but I prefer NatDex, especially for Regional Variants (it's supposed to be multi-regional after all). It's relatively moot for Roulette Mons and Pokédex Redone, but I would prefer them to be based on NatDex, especially if it gives them the opportunity for megas.

3. I did come up with an idea I mentioned earlier in the thread that I never submitted called Primal Clash. The idea is making an orb for every type and allowing any Mon to use any orb to gain primal forms. I still like that idea an an advantage it has is it should not have many slates before completion (only 16 orbs to make).

Another idea I liked that I only really got to mulling over was a kind of "set-completion" mod, to add Mon and forms to "sets" that currently exist, like extra Rotom and Oricorio forms, legendaries for Snow Warning and Sandstorm a grass version of Articulo, Zapdos and Moltres etc.

4. I suppose the biggest things are working out the interaction between new moves and z-crystals and dynamaxing with mega stones and z-crystals.

5. New abilities are always exciting to me.

Incidentally, I woulduld support Gigantimax for All. I already have plans for Gigantimax Shedinja.

Last edited:
I have 2 separate ideas, they're both similar. They are:
Classmons
In some RPGs, you can select a class for your character that gives it boosts. Likewise, skills give certain abilities. Boosts and abilities, you say? Both of those can be done in Pokemon! So that's where I got this idea. The premise is, the Pet Mod allows for the creation of "classes" you can choose for your Pokemon. These give stat boosts and can function like abilities, giving certain side effects. They can be existing side effects given by existing abilities, or new side effects.

Example:
Warrior (Barraskewda) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Liquidation
- Close Combat
- Psychic Fangs
- Drill Run

Warrior: Grants a 20% bonus to Atk
Attacks that make contact do an additional 10% damage

Zombiemons
This is inspired by Infection from Halo 3. The premise of this is similar to Classmons in that you nickname your Pokemon a "class", except this time, the class is a type of zombie affliction. It would be required that a certain number of your Pokemon would be zombies.

Example:
Walker (Barraskewda) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Liquidation
- Close Combat
- Psychic Fangs
- Drill Run

Okay, so a walker would have 1.5x Atk and .5x Spd, let's say.

An additional rule would be if the zombie lands a contact hit, the opposing Pokemon is turned into that type of zombie, even if they're already a different type of zombie.

Question to the community:
-Is there a way to improve either of these ideas?

I've got an idea for a Pet Mod where every Pokémon form-changing mechanics can be extended to new Pokémon by submission.
The name is Extended Mechanics.
We have had many Pet Mods that extend a single mechanic to every Pokémon in the National Dex: MFA extends Megaevolution to all Pokémon, Z-Moves Everywhere gives an exclusive Z-Move to each of them, Regional Variants aims to give a regional form to as many Pokémon as possible and so on... and they all did great job to let us see the effects that each mechanic can have on every other Pokémon on which it wasn't applied by Game Freak. But at the dawn of the 8th generation,
What we don't have though is a Pet Mod that lets each Pokémon have its unique alternate form that enhances its capabilities as it is. This form can be obtained using any of the enhancing mechanics that were introduced during the years in Pokémon games of the main series. This will include:
- Form-change outside battle (e.g.: Deoxys, Rotom, Legendary genies)
- Simple alternative forms (e.g.: Pumpkaboo and Gourgeist or Lycanroc) - this includes giving effect to aestetic changes, like Sawsbuck formes
- Form-change by holding an item (e.g.: UltraNecrozma, Arceus, Giratina)
- Form-change knowing a move (e.g.: Keldeo-Resolute)
- Form-change using a move (e.g.: Meloetta)
- Form-change with an ability (e.g.: Castform, Aegislash, Cherrim, Wishiwashi)
- Regional forms and evolutions
- Megaevolution
- Primal Reversion
- Gigantamax
Giving an exclusive regular or Z-Move to a specific Pokémon will also be possible.
For what concerns Regional forms and Megaevolutions, with the authorisation of the specific Pet Mod admins, we could just import some from the relative spread sheet. In the case they accept, subs will just determine which of the forms introduced by those Pet Mods will be featured also in this one. This also applies to exclusive Z-Moves, and every other mechanic; submissions of mechanichs introduced by dead Pet Mods will just be possible with the right authorisations, not compulsory.
The rules will constrain the distribution of each mechanics among the existing Pokémon, so, unlike GF does with Charizard and Gengar, Pokémon with no special mechanics will have priority on the ones that already have one or more of them. A set of rules will be applied for each type of form-change, as follows:

Pokémon: (this can be applied to all Pokémon, as long as it makes sense and is balanced)
Typing: (only one of the types can be changed, little changes affect secondary type, big changes affect primary)
Abilities: (must not make the Pokémon weaker)
Stats: (a maximum of +80 points can be added to BST, stat changes are restricted to a maximum of ±40 and stats can be swapped)
New Moves: (have to be coherent with the new typing)
Removed Moves: (optional, for balancing and flavour purpose)
Method and Flavour: (justify your form change, by saying when and how it happens)
Niche: (explain the competitive use of the form)

Item name: (it can be a new item or an already existing one)
New Item? (Yes or No)
Effect: (it has to be balanced with the other changes the form gives)

Pokémon: (this can be applied to all Pokémon, as long as it makes sense and is balanced)
Typing: (only one of the types can be changed, little changes affect secondary type, big changes affect primary)
Ability: (must not make the Pokémon weaker)
Stats: (a maximum of +80 points can be added to BST, stat changes are restricted to a maximum of ±40 and stats can be swapped)
New Moves: (have to be coherent with the new typing, can include Z-Moves)
Flavour: (justify your form change, by saying when and how it happens)

Move name: (it can be a new move or an already existing one)
New Move? (if new, specify all the following)
Type: (must be contained in the typing of the original or of the new form)
Category: (Physical or Special)
Power: (from 0 to 150 BP)
Precision: (from -- to 30%)

New Move: (have to be coherent with the new typing)

Stats: (BST must remain the same, stat changes are restricted to a maximum of ±40 and stats can be swapped)

Ability name: (it can be a new ability or an already existing one)
New Ability? (Yes or No)

Ability name: (it can be a new Ability or an already existing one)
New Ability? (Yes or No)

Pokémon: (this can be applied to all Pokémon that aren't main legendary, as long as it makes sense and is balanced)
Stats: (BST must remain the same, stat changes are restricted to a maximum of ±40 and stats can be swapped)
Method and Flavour: (justify your form change, by saying when and how it happens)

Pokémon: (this can be applied to all non-legendary Pokémon, as long as it makes sense and is balanced)
Typing: (any type can change)
Removed Moves: (for balancing and flavour purpose)
Flavour: (explain the variant's habitat and living habits)

Pokémon: (this can be applied to all non-legendary Pokémon, as long as it makes sense and is balanced)

New Pokémon: (Evolution's name)
Typing: (must share at least one type with the previous evolution)
Stats: (BST must be the same as the original evolution if one exists; if not, the new evolution can have a maximum BST of 535)
New Moves: (the ones that the previous evolution doesn't learn, have to be coherent with the new typing)

Pokémon: (this can be applied to all Pokémon that aren't main legendary, as long as it makes sense and is balanced)
Typing: (only secondary type can change)
Stats: (the total of stats boosts must be 100 or less, stat changes are restricted to a maximum of ±60)

Pokémon: (this can be applied to all Pokémon that are main legendary, as long as it makes sense and is balanced)
Stats: (the total of stats boosts must be 100 or less, stat changes are restricted to a maximum of ±60)

Gigantamax Move: (name has to be structured with "G-Max" followed by 1 single word)
Type: (must be contained in the typing of the user)
Power: (from 100 to 150 BP)
Effect: (it has to be balanced and different from the corresponding Dynamax Move)

Move: (must fit user's flavour)
Effect: (it has to be balanced and different from other moves the Pokémon already learns)
Z-Move Power and Effect: (it has to be balanced and different from other moves the Pokémon already learns)

Pokémon[/b]: (this can be applied to all Pokémon, as long as it makes sense and is balanced)

Original move: (must fit user's flavour)
Z-Move: (must fit user's flavour)
Power: (must fit with original move's BP)
Effect: (it has to be balanced and different from other moves the Pokémon already learns)

One overall rule can be that the new formes can get only 1 or 2 of the following:
- new moves
- new ability
- stronger stats
- new typing
As GF seems to follow this pattern.

The author of anything imported from other Pet Mods has to be asked authorisation and to be credited. Also, every Pokémon that already has one or more of those mechanics will be excluded from getting one in this Pet Mod (at least until all of the others get one).

The changes applied must fit flavour mainly. The form can be suited for NatDex OU or Uber tier.

For most of the time, the subs will be 3 things among the ones listed above, so that you can submit a trio, a duo of counterparts and so on. Some slates will be themed though, probably the first one and others that will come later and will feature a group of Pokemon linked to each other, like Plusle and Minun or Suicune, Entei and Raikou.

What do you guys think? Would a Pet Mod like this be too chaotic?
I think constraints can make it work and we can decide them together.

Last edited:

Samtendo09

is a Pre-Contributor
I've got an idea for a Pet Mod where every Pokémon form-changing mechanics can be extended to new Pokémon by submission.
The name is Extended Mechanics.
We have had many Pet Mods that extend a single mechanic to every Pokémon in the National Dex: MFA extends Megaevolution to all Pokémon, Z-Moves Everywhere gives an exclusive Z-Move to each of them, Regional Variants aims to give a regional form to as many Pokémon as possible and so on... and they all did great job to let us see the effects that each mechanic can have on every other Pokémon on which it wasn't applied by Game Freak. But at the dawn of the 8th generation,
What we don't have though is a Pet Mod that lets each Pokémon have its unique alternate form that enhances its capabilities as it is. This form can be obtained using any of the enhancing mechanics that were introduced during the years in Pokémon games of the main series. This will include:
- Form-change outside battle (e.g.: Deoxys, Rotom, Legendary genies)
- Simple alternative forms (e.g.: Pumpkaboo and Gourgeist or Lycanroc) - this includes giving effect to aestetic changes, like Sawsbuck formes
- Form-change by holding an item (e.g.: UltraNecrozma, Arceus, Giratina)
- Form-change knowing a move (e.g.: Keldeo-Resolute)
- Form-change using a move (e.g.: Meloetta)
- Form-change with an ability (e.g.: Castform, Aegislash, Cherrim, Wishiwashi)
- Regional forms and evolutions
- Megaevolution
- Primal Reversion
- Gigantamax
Giving an exclusive regular or Z-Move to a specific Pokémon will also be possible.
For what concerns Regional forms and Megaevolutions, with the authorisation of the specific Pet Mod admins, we could just import some from the relative spread sheet. In the case they accept, subs will just determine which of the forms introduced by those Pet Mods will be featured also in this one. This also applies to exclusive Z-Moves, and every other mechanic; submissions of mechanichs introduced by dead Pet Mods will just be possible with the right authorisations, not compulsory.
The rules will constrain the distribution of each mechanics among the existing Pokémon, so, unlike GF does with Charizard and Gengar, Pokémon with no special mechanics will have priority on the ones that already have one or more of them. A set of rules will be applied for each type of form-change, as follows:

Item name: (it can be a new item or an already existing one)
New Item? (Yes or No)

Ability name: (it can be a new ability or an already existing one)
New Ability? (Yes or No)

Ability name: (it can be a new Ability or an already existing one)
New Ability? (Yes or No)

Removed Moves: (for balancing and flavour purpose)

New Pokémon: (Evolution's name)
Typing: (must share at least one type with the previous evolution)
Stats: (BST must be the same as the original evolution if one exists; if not, the new evolution can have a maximum BST of 535)

Pokémon: (this can be applied to all Pokémon that are main legendary, as long as it makes sense and is balanced)

Gigantamax Move: (name has to be structured with "G-Max" followed by 1 single word)
Type: (must be contained in the typing of the user)
Power: (from 100 to 150 BP)
Effect: (it has to be balanced and different from the corresponding Dynamax Move)

Move: (must fit user's flavour)
Z-Move Power and Effect: (it has to be balanced and different from other moves the Pokémon already learns)

Pokémon[/b]: (this can be applied to all Pokémon, as long as it makes sense and is balanced)

Original move: (must fit user's flavour)
Z-Move: (must fit user's flavour)
Power: (must fit with original move's BP)

The author of anything imported from other Pet Mods has to be asked authorisation and to be credited. Also, every Pokémon that already has one or more of those mechanics will be excluded from getting one in this Pet Mod (at least until all of the others get one).

The changes applied must fit flavour mainly. The form can be suited for NatDex OU or Uber tier.

What do you guys think? Would a Pet Mod like this be too chaotic?
I think constraints can make it work and we can decide them together.
I would say that this would sound very chaotic with so many of the mechanics-to-expend involved. Deciding them together seems to be a way to go, but for now, I'd expect each mechanic expension to be done in individual Pet Mods.

- Megaevolution
- Primal Reversion
The author of anything imported from other Pet Mods has to be asked authorisation and to be credited.
Mega Evolution and Primal Reversion mixed with GMax is a no. Too much mechanics
Z-Moves see above
Taking from other Pet Mods has only been done once and idk like don’t you want original concepts
Also that’s kind of stealing concepts
But the other ideas sound okay, just make it an alternate forms mod and I don’t see anything wrong with it, as long as you’re okay with competing with other mods that do one or more of the same concepts

I would say that this would sound very chaotic with so many of the mechanics-to-expend involved. Deciding them together seems to be a way to go, but for now, I'd expect each mechanic expension to be done in individual Pet Mods.
Right, if Megas for All comes back, there will be an overlap

Mega Evolution and Primal Reversion mixed with GMax is a no. Too much mechanics
Z-Moves see above
Taking from other Pet Mods has only been done once and idk like don’t you want original concepts
Also that’s kind of stealing concepts
But the other ideas sound okay, just make it an alternate forms mod and I don’t see anything wrong with it, as long as you’re okay with competing with other mods that do one or more of the same concepts
I think we'll see those mechanics coexist in future official games and they are already programmed for SD. The only issue I see is that we don't know how Dynamax moves that set weather work with Desolate Land and Primordial Sea, but we can consider the effects of those moves at the level of Sunny Day, Rain Dance, Sandstorm and Hail, as they summon the regular weather condition. This would make Primals counters for Dynamax tactics, but this is a problem of the future and will only exist in the Uber version of the metagame.
I said concepts could be imported just in the case the Pet Mod owners didn't want the new Pet Mod to have the same capabilities of their own. Having original concepts would obviously be better for the new Pet Mod since it would allow to create more lore around trios or counterparts and also to not look too much like a restricted version of Super Smash Mods.
I don't feel to exclude Megevolution and Primals also because I want to put in Gigantamax and since I guess the new formes of Dialga, Palkia and Giratina will take something from this mechanic, there is no defined limit between specific mechanics as Megas and Gigantamax and alternate forms. Primal Reversion can also be seen as an held-item-based form change, since no one said it was linked to Megaevolution, but making it different would let it become a mechanic exclusive to legendaries with some recurring themes.
Another reson I want to include Megas for is that making just alternate forms for Pokémon that don't have one would become repetitive and redundant, while allowing every mechanic that ever existed would let each Pokémon use just one of them at its best.

How or where can we decide them together?

Also, to everyone who is interested, I'm editing the post, adding more rules to restrict transformations that would change the original concept too much.

Last edited:
Adoptionmons
Premise: Imagine being a Pokemon and having a different father and/or mother figure than your original parents. What moves would you learn as a result?
This Pet Mod is here to answer that question.
How it works: Each adoption parent can "teach" 5 moves to their offspring. The moves have to be able to be learned by the parent.
Pokemon unable to breed can still be parents. However, they cannot raise children that cannot breed, as these children do not typically have parents raise them, negating the idea of needing a mother and a father figure.
One thing I can see being unique in this mod is multiple iterations of the same species, for example a child from the same two species of parents as somebody else's version, but with different movesets, based on the user's submission. You could basically have your own form (and name it after yourself if you wanted).

Gravity Monkey

Que des barz comme si jtais au hebs
is a Top Artist
Adoptionmons
Premise: Imagine being a Pokemon and having a different father and/or mother figure than your original parents. What moves would you learn as a result?
This Pet Mod is here to answer that question.
How it works: Each adoption parent can "teach" 5 moves to their offspring. The moves have to be able to be learned by the parent.
Pokemon unable to breed can still be parents. However, they cannot raise children that cannot breed, as these children do not typically have parents raise them, negating the idea of needing a mother and a father figure.
One thing I can see being unique in this mod is multiple iterations of the same species, for example a child from the same two species of parents as somebody else's version, but with different movesets, based on the user's submission. You could basically have your own form (and name it after yourself if you wanted).
That kinda sounds like Breeding Variants

That kinda sounds like Breeding Variants
It does. The difference is you can now pass on moves from outside egg groups and the amorphous egg group.
I was thinking how accessible I would like a Pet Mod to be, and I think my previous post about Classmons and Zombiemons would be more accessible. If I were to run only one this generation it’d be one of those. This is due to there being more significant changes being made by those mods that would guarantee that the original creation part of the Pet Mod gets used during battle.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)