Pet Mods General Discussion Thread

Marigold

formerly KuraiTenshi26
Hello, everyone! I'm new to the Pet Mod community, so hopefully here is the place to share this.

Gen 1 has always held a special place in my heart, ever since my childhood. Years later, RBY OU became the first metagame I took up competitively. However, the metagame is inherently flawed because Gen 1 was born in a time where metagame balancing wasn't a mainstream, highly valued topic. But that changes today. Inspired heavily by the Pokemon (Ultra) Violet mod from the Pokemon Perfect forums, I bring to you...
Pokemon Rose Red / Iris Blue (<----- links to the detailed metagame document)

With the title a symbolism of an old generation budding anew, the goal of Rose Red/Iris Blue (an RBY-based proposed pet mod) is to make near every pokemon a viable pick at minimum (pokemon can have low viability however, but this still implies being usable), while still allowing teams to have at least adequately good matchups against all reasonably viable threats. A criteria to change decisions is also to avoid “gimmicky threats” and stick to what pokemon already do. This keeps the matchup-based aspect of the metagame to a minimum, makes it beginner-friendly, and allows teambuilding to be reasonable in adequately covering most or all threats. If you guys like what you see and are interested in seeing more, make sure to check out the metagame document in the title! I am currently working on making this metagame playable and am still doing some internal testing, so things are definitely subject to change if need be.

The current RBY meta is awful, with horrid centralization around specific threats and most typings being utterly outclassed by the prominent ones. However, this new metagame will feature mechanic changes to make the metagame more approachable, such as...

- A modernized type chart (without dark, steel, or fairy types)
- Removed 1/256 miss rate on everything
- Recovery moves not failing at specific hp numbers
- Nerfed sleep
- Nerfed freeze
- Offensive attack buffs for previously shit types
- PARTIAL-TRAPPING NERFS
- TEAM PREVIEW

and more!

Here is just a taste of the new threats added to the meta:

HP:80
Attack:105
Defense:65
Special:60
Speed:130

whirlwind is buffed (80 bp flying stab)
gains rock slide (85 bp)

Aerodactyl becomes a potent cleaner now that it can actually use its stabs. It’s walled by golem/rhydon, but can use fire blast to fish for a 30% burn. I expect this to be a top tier offensive threat, with nice dual stab and a nasty 25% crit rate, as well as a normal resistance and ground immunity.
Bug/Psychic type
HP:60 -> 70
Attack:45 -> 55
Defense:50 -> 70
Special:80 -> 95
Speed:70 -> 80

Heavily inspired by Pokemon Violet, Double powders, decent speed, and virtually unresisted dual stab makes Butterfree a great status spreader and decent attacker. Butterfree is notably one of the hardest counters to psychic types as a whole, switching well into psychics and healing off all the damage with leech life. Being a hard psychic counter is a valuable niche, though the increased viability of flying and fire types mean that Butterfree can’t heal as freely as it would like... even if it has ways to punish these switch-ins.
Fire/Dragon
HP:78
Attack:84 -> 94
Defense:78
Special:85 -> 95
Speed:100

Gains Thrash (110 bp dragon move, lasts 2-3 turns then confuses)

Unique typing that grants it useful resistances and alleviates typical bad matchups for fire or dragon types, Charizard is a versatile breaker that can use swords dance, slash, fire blast, earthquake, or the unresisted thrash to poke holes into teams for teammates. Probably a situational pick that may struggle to fit onto teams, but I think this one can make a breakthrough in the format if placed on the right team comp.

HP:95
Attack:70
Defense:73
Special:85 -> 95
Speed:60

The ORAS queen is back with her incredibly annoying bulk, power, and versatility. Being able to run a 3 attacks (physical or special) + heal set, status spreader, or reflect/light screen wall set makes Clef the annoyance it’s known to be in current generation play. A very wide movepool and high splashability means that this may very well be a staple pick of the metagame, and I expect a lot of creativity when it comes to making this shine.

HP:50
Attack:105 -> 110
Defense:79
Special:35 -> 110 (!)
Speed:76

Access to buffed submission, 100 bp 90 acc
Access to boosted elemental punches, all 95 bp 100 acc

Hitmonchan is finally able to use its elemental punches to some degree, and has a similar feel to a boxer in that you can take hits and hit hard in return by exploiting weaknesses. However, its seemingly good bulk is undermined by a low 50 hp and its special attacking prowess is hurt by not having any stab on special moves. It’s also somewhat walled by psychics, but can do a number to ones with exploitable secondary typing. Hitmonchan still seems like a fun pick, and will probably surprise foes if used on a great team that supports it.

HP:90
Attack:82
Defense:87 -> 97
Special:75
Speed:76

Gains softboiled

Nidoqueen has great bulk, which is bolstered immensely by its new access to softboiled. Being the only ground type with recovery is a huge boon, making it a reliable switch-in to many flying type threats, and electric ones too. It’s also a good fighting type check, which is nice when considering the immense buffs they’re gaining. Nidoqueen is also by no means passive (nothing truly is in rby anyway), having a fantastic attacking movepool with high bp stabs and coverage. I expect nidoqueen to become a top tier threat in the new rby meta.
fire/psychic
HP:73
Attack:76
Defense:75
Special:100
Speed:100

Gains psychic
Gains thunder wave

Ninetales is an unconventional psychic type. It lacks recovery and doesn’t spread sleep. Rather, it can lock down the foe by utilizing parafusion and has an amazing dual stab combo, functioning primarily as an offensive threat that can check threats courtesy of its great typing. I expect this to be a high tier threat at minimum.

HP:70
Attack:60
Defense:125
Special:115
Speed:55

Gains recover

Omastar gains recover, which is a HUGE niche in being the only rock type with reliable recovery. It has stellar 70/125/115 bulk which makes it an very sturdy counter to terrifying birds like Articuno, Moltres, and Aerodactyl. Access to body slam also lets it punish common water/ice resists. It’s held back by its horrid movepool and low speed though, but a well-supported Omastar will make for an excellent anti-bird/normal threat.

In closing...

My goal is to showcase the potential RBY has when properly balanced, its deceptive depth within simplicity, and especially how fun it is! I legitimately believe that this version of RBY, when perfected, will surpass RBY OU in terms of competitiveness, tournament suitability, and ease of approach to get into. It will be a long road to work on this metagame, but a rewarding and enjoyable one. If you took the time to read this all, thanks! I really appreciate it, feel free to leave some thoughts about the potential mod.
It's been a while since I posted about this RBY mod, but I never stopped cracking at it. The metagame now has a playable custom client where most of the changes are visualized! Now that the format is playable, I am looking for players willing to try out this more balanced take on gen 1 while leaving its "feel" intact. New additions to the format are always in the works too, so things are sure to stay fresh with testing and metagame development.

No metagame thread yet, so we will have to be discord-based for now :blobtriumph: The discord with all resources needed to play this metagame is here: https://discord.gg/vEjZ4er

Unsure of what teams to run in this metagame? Don't worry, your vanilla RBY OU teams are still intact! They will play the same but won't be prepared for many of the new threats however, so keep that in mind as you test the waters. What's more, there has been some playtesting completed and there are now some sample teams as well! Have a look:

Aerodactyl + Tauros Balance

Blastoise + Articuno Bulky Offense

Gyara-Jolt Offense

Arcanine Normal Spam

I'm looking forward to working with you all. Let's have fun with this one :]

Where do I go to drop a pet mod if I wish (Specifically, The Indigo Meta in favor or Rose Red/Iris Blue. Who knew type changes could really do work) and if I drop a mod, do I become eligible to host a different mod? (Without needing moderator approval)

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Where do I go to drop a pet mod if I wish (Specifically, The Indigo Meta in favor or Rose Red/Iris Blue. Who knew type changes could really do work) and if I drop a mod, do I become eligible to host a different mod? (Without needing moderator approval)
I'm pretty sure you can just announce/request the thread to be locked.

The Pokedex Redone
Okay, so what I'd like to do is take the Pokemon from each generation, starting in generation 1, and "redo" them. This means have users submit Fakemon with the same BST with the same number of evolutions. There would be other restrictions as well, such as only going 10 over or under the maximum or minimum stat, respectively.

Hi, for a while now I've been working on a Pet Mod with the same concept that has probably been done several times, where you change a bunch of things to your liking. In this case, I chose to only have a certain amount of Pokemon to start with and adding more throughout the meta as it develops.
Before I post it, I wanted to collect some feedback, see if anyone would be interested, see if there are any things that are immediately not good etc.
The doc with basically all information can be found here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...NqsZkNTaeczzKQGRNmCxtAxKc/edit#gid=1572940421

Here's a random idea I had:
Partner Pokemon

Who says Pikachu and Eevee are the only mons who can become our partners.
The premise is to give the partner status to more species of Pokemon. Pokemon are eligible to receive a partner form if they are introduced as the first stage of their evolutionary line and are not a baby form of an already eligible Pokemon.
Y
Clefairy would be eligible to receive a partner form, as it was introduced as the first stage of it's evolutionary line.
N
Cleffa would not however, because it was introduced as a baby Pokemon of a Pokemon who was the first in it's line.
N
Magmar would also not be eligible, because it wasn't introduced with an evolutionary line.
Y
Magby would be eligible however, because it was introduced as the first stage of an evolution line and is not a baby Pokemon of something already getting a partner form.
N
Scyther would never be eligible, because it was introduced without an evolutionary family and lacks a baby form to compensate.

So now the jucy part: how do we make a partner pokemon? It can be explained through this rule-set:
Compared to their base forms, Partner Pokemon receive a +110 BST to their stats, with each stat getting at least a +10 boost. They do not have different abilities. Their typing may change depending on their evolution family as seen in their respective debut generations (Partner Nidoran are eligible to change their type to Poison/Ground, or stay pure Poison, thanks to their fully evolved forms. Partner Abra sees no type changes, so it can only be pure Psychic. Horsea, despite being able to evolve into a Water/Dragon Pokemon, was not able to when it was first introduced, so Partner Horsea can only be pure Water.) Partner Pokemon inherit their movepool from USUM and get 3-5 new moves exclusive to them. These moves are always attacking moves, have about 90 BP with moderate effects such as guaranteed status (lower power for more servere effects like +2 priority) and have a type usually related to something special about the Pokemon in question. (Pikachu gets Water/Flying moves to refrence it's events. Eevee gets 8 moves of different types to refrence it's evolutions.) Partner Pokemon also have their own special Partner Power, which is explained below. TLDR:
  • +110 BST (may be lowered depending on the pokemon)
  • Each stat must have at least +10 to it.
  • Abilities don't change
  • Typing may change only if an evolution introduced in the same generation has a different type.
  • Base movepool comes from Pokemon Lets go games (again could be changed to the USUM movepool)
  • Each partner gets 3-5 signature moves with childish-sounding names. (look at Pikachu and Eevee's special moves for examples) 90 BP with a moderate side effect is the more common one, but the power may be lowered for stronger side effects. The type is related to something special about the Pokemon. (If you can't justify it in some way or if it makes zero sense whatsoever, don't bring it)
  • EDIT: Each partner pokemon also gets a special Partner Power. When activated on the field, they use a 102 base power move that never misses on the opponent. It is always one of the pokemon's types and can be either category. When not on the field it boosts 3 stats of the active pokemon. (which stats vary depending on the Partner Pokemon it's from) Partner Powers can only be used once per battle (just like mega stones and Z-crystals)

[b]Pokemon[/b]:
[b]Type[/b]:
[b]Stats[/b]:
[hide=Custom Moves]
[b]Move Name[/b]:
[b]Power[/b]:
[b]Accuracy[/b]:
[b]Type[/b]:
[b]Category[/b]:
[b]Side Effect[/b]:

[b]Partner Move Name[/b]:
[b]Power[/b]:
[b]Type[/b]:
[b]Category[/b]:
[b]Non-field Stat Boosts[/b]:
[/hide]

Each slate will hold either three Pokemon to sub for, or four. Submissions last for 4-6 days (may change depending on circumstances) and Voting lasts 2-3 days.

Last edited:
Here's a random idea I had:
Partner Pokemon

Who says Pikachu and Eevee are the only mons who can become our partners.
The premise is to give the partner status to more species of Pokemon. Pokemon are eligible to receive a partner form if they are introduced as the first stage of their evolutionary line and are not a baby form of an already eligible Pokemon.
Y
Clefairy would be eligible to receive a partner form, as it was introduced as the first stage of it's evolutionary line.
N
Cleffa would not however, because it was introduced as a baby Pokemon of a Pokemon who was the first in it's line.
N
Magmar would also not be eligible, because it wasn't introduced with an evolutionary line.
Y
Magby would be eligible however, because it was introduced as the first stage of an evolution line and is not a baby Pokemon of something already getting a partner form.
N
Scyther would never be eligible, because it was introduced without an evolutionary family and lacks a baby form to compensate.

So now the jucy part: how do we make a partner pokemon? It can be explained through this rule-set:
Compared to their base forms, Partner Pokemon receive a +110 BST to their stats, with each stat getting at least a +10 boost. They do not have different abilities. Their typing may change depending on their evolution family as seen in their respective debut generations (Partner Nidoran are eligible to change their type to Poison/Ground, or stay pure Poison, thanks to their fully evolved forms. Partner Abra sees no type changes, so it can only be pure Psychic. Horsea, despite being able to evolve into a Water/Dragon Pokemon, was not able to when it was first introduced, so Partner Horsea can only be pure Water.) Partner Pokemon inherit their movepool from Pokemon Lets Go games (for now, changed to inherit the current movepool will be considered) and get 3-5 new moves exclusive to them. These moves are always attacking moves, have about 90 BP with moderate effects such as guaranteed status (lower power for more servere effects like +2 priority) and have a type usually related to something special about the Pokemon in question. (Pikachu gets Water/Flying moves to refrence it's events. Eevee gets 8 moves of different types to refrence it's evolutions.) TLDR:
  • +110 BST (may be lowered depending on the pokemon)
  • Each stat must have at least +10 to it.
  • Abilities don't change
  • Typing may change only if an evolution introduced in the same generation has a different type.
  • Base movepool comes from Pokemon Lets go games (again could be changed to the USUM movepool)
  • Each partner gets 3-5 signature moves with childish-sounding names. (look at Pikachu and Eevee's special moves for examples) 90 BP with a moderate side effect is the more common one, but the power may be lowered for stronger side effects. The type is related to something special about the Pokemon. (If you can't justify it in some way or if it makes zero sense whatsoever, don't bring it)

[b]Pokemon[/b]:
[b]Type[/b]:
[b]Stats[/b]:
[hide=Custom Moves]
[b]Move Name[/b]:
[b]Power[/b]:
[b]Accuracy[/b]:
[b]Type[/b]:
[b]Category[/b]:
[b]Side Effect[/b]:
[/hide]

Each slate will hold either three Pokemon to sub for, or four. Submissions last for 4-6 days (may change depending on circumstances) and Voting lasts 2-3 days.
but eevee has 9 signature moves...

also what do we do for movepool of things not in let's go

but eevee has 9 signature moves...
I forgot about Veevee Voley. Though now that I think of it, I do have an idea about giving each partner pokemon a partner ability
It would be in a fashion that each partner pokemon has a special move that acts like Veevee and Papow, and when not on the field, would give the current pokemon 3 stat boosts (Accuracy being a possibility. Evasion considered only for really crappy mons getting a partner form). A partner ability could only be used once (exactly like megas and Z-Moves)

also not to mention most pokemon can't justify 8 special moves alongside a special one-time only one.
also what do we do for movepool of things not in let's go
Yeah the Let's Go movepool thing sounds dumb, I dun like it. The rule with moves only being offensive sounds too restrictive as well
The original idea for this was because Partner Pikachu and Eevee only had a movepool from Lets Go games. But on another hand, this would probably end up being too restrictive anyway. It would mean I wouldn't need to make a special way to convert movepools and make things become a whole lot easier. It could also mean Pikachu and Eevee get their movepools expanded with the USUM moves (minus transfer ones)
Everything else sounds interesting. Could see this becoming a bit similar to Eternal Pokemon though.
Yeah. I did get concerned about that. Does more signature moves and the idea for Partner Power help separate it?

EDIT: all information is added into the OP. (Status moves were considered, but things like Swords Dance boosts could simply be handled with 40ish BP attacks, and just +1 attack with a regular 90 BP move.)

Last edited:
Hello, new here, and was directed to this rather interesting part of Smogon. Was sent because I asked this:

Where do I go to or who do I talk to about theorymoning the ability of a theoretical Pokemon that exist within the games by hasn't been revealed yet? (Unova OG Dragon)
Pretty much, I want to theorymon an accurate (I suppose MOD) idea for what Unova's Tao dragon would entail. From what I've seen of this sub-forum, these ideas seem much more encompassing to my rather uninspired (in comparison) question, so forgive me if I'm not asking it in the correct place.

I've lurked & read a bit of the existing mods, the "fusion evolution" one might seem closest, but that one may be fusing specific mons to make them more viable in a metagame sense.

As for reasoning of me wanting this, well, perhaps it's an idea which could find its way into something playable one day, who can say. I have a friend working on art for said dragon, and I feel like their design/lore approach is much more intuitive/creative than most, who simply mix & match the Tao trio and leave it at that.

If I am in the right place & someone can help me out, here is some theorymoning we came up with as a template:

Type: Dragon/Steel
Envisioned as Steel type for lore reasons & theme.
Theme is Atomic Energy for the Unova Dragon. While many may see "poison" maybe being a rep for that idea, I think just the pure Fission/Fusion power itself is the idea, not necessarily the waste material. As my friend put it:

Nuclear Power --> Heat --> Electricity (with water circulating through)

Taodrake --> Reshiram --> Zekrom (with melted Kyurem as the water)

125/160/100/160/100/115: 760 Stat spread was laid out as a balance between the Kyurem formes.
Ability:??? I wanted a step up from just another Mold Breaker, or something that fits the theme of such. Need feedback on this.
Signature moves:
Atomic Breath - Type: Dragon
BP: 100 Accuracy: 95
Effects: 50% Badly Poisoned rate due to radiation. Can deal either physical or special damage depending on which attacking stat is higher. Can "possibly" bypass abilities. (Not sure on this last one)
This is pretty much a blend between Sacred Fire and Photon Geyser.
Energy Blast or Plasma Cannon - Type: Steel
BP: 100 Accuracy: 100
Upgraded Tri-Attack with 30% chance to Burn, Paralyze, or Freeze.

Ultra-Necrozma was an inspiration when theorymoning this, hence the higher speed, and possibility of the move(s) functioning like Mold Breaker, hence the need for a better ability, but one that still fits the lore. I was thinking a new "terrain" style ability, but unsure.

Hopefully in the right place for this idea, would be much appreciated for any feedback.

I like to imagine the OG dragon as Primal Kyuurem, a dragon/Flying type with the ability Energy Master (Gains resistance to and STAB on Electric, Fire and Ice moves. Those moves also gain a Mold Breaker effect)

I like to imagine the OG dragon as Primal Kyuurem, a dragon/Flying type with the ability Energy Master (Gains resistance to and STAB on Electric, Fire and Ice moves. Those moves also gain a Mold Breaker effect)
Main issue with this is that BW2 confirmed that Kyurem is not the same as the OG dragon. It was literally spawned from the split of Reshiram/Zekrom as an empty energy-less shell. Think of how Nincada's evolution to Ninjask spawns the empty shell of Shedinja, for instance.

Dragon/Flying also kind of treads too much on Rayquaza. Dialga has the same typing as the theorymon, but its function is still a bit different. I do like the ability of gaining a mold breaker like effect, but thinking on it a bit:

Atomic Furnace: Radiates a bursting aura that encompasses the battlefield. Moves bypass all abilities (mold-breaker) & resistances. I think that could be seen as the next "tier" of a theoretical buffed Mold Breaker. Dragon type moves would bypass their Steel resistance, and the OD's Steel typing becomes incredibly viable as an attack type.

I considered an ability version of Gastro Acid, but that may be a bit too broken? This could work like a reverse intimidate, where Pokemon who enter the battle are affected by so much radiation that it overpowers their function to use abilities. Would be a nice hard counter to Mega Rayquaza, considering the Steel typing.

Last edited:
Main issue with this is that BW2 confirmed that Kyurem is not the same as the OG dragon. It was literally spawned from the split of Reshiram/Zekrom as an empty energy-less shell. Think of how Nincada's evolution to Ninjask spawns the empty shell of Shedinja, for instance.

Dragon/Flying also kind of treads too much on Rayquaza. I do like the ability of gaining a mold breaker like effect, but thinking on it a bit:

Atomic Furnace: Radiates a bursting aura that encompasses the battlefield. Moves bypass all abilities (mold-breaker) & resistances. I think that could be seen as the next "tier" of a theoretical buffed Mold Breaker. Dragon type moves would bypass their Steel resistance, and the OD's Steel typing becomes incredibly viable as an attack type.

I considered an ability version of Gastro Acid, but that may be a bit too broken? This could work like intimidate, where Pokemon who enter the battle are affected by so much radiation that it overpowers their function to use abilities. Would be a nice hard counter to Mega Rayquaza, considering the Steel typing.
Well yes, but the idea is that Primal Kyuurem regains what it lost when the other two dragons split off. I thought it fits the Primal better than the other two. In addition, gaining STAB on those three types explains the typing of the pieces.

Well yes, but the idea is that Primal Kyuurem regains what it lost when the other two dragons split off. I thought it fits the Primal better than the other two. In addition, gaining STAB on those three types explains the typing of the pieces.
Some notes on "Taodrake" as it is mostly my friend's idea who is designing it rather than my own, though I am giving some feedback. An earlier sketch of it they created: https://www.deviantart.com/evaron/art/TAODRAKE-The-Original-Unova-Dragon-478393717

- They are basing it more around the "Ultra" theme that Necrozma had. This is likely due to the similarities of themes that the Tao Trio shared with the Gen 7 Trio. Another name they use for it is actually "Ultra Kyurem." I suppose in theory this is similar to a "Primal" but like M-Ray it won't require an item (assuming anyways) to reach this state.

- Gaining stab on those 3 types would provide amazing coverage, probably one of the best (assuming) in the tiers, but I want something to better suit what they specifically had in mind. That's why they simply gave it an upgraded Tri-Attack, as it's a single move that encompasses the typing(s) of Fire, Electric, and Ice with a higher 30% chance rate. This fits lore wise.

- Remember how when Kyurem fuses with Reshiram/Zekrom, Glaciate fused with Blue Flare/Bolt Strike? Plasma Canon or the upgraded Tri-Attack like move would basically be the end result of that. It represents the 3 types while retaining the 30% status condition. The artist had it at possibly 40%, but I feel like that would've been too broken and 30% ties into previous moves. Like Photon Geyser, it should be based off of which attacking stat is highest.

I feel like the OG Dragon, while having "traits" of its trio, would still be distinctively its own Pokemon. In any case, I wish I had sprite or mod skills to make any version of their idea into something tangible. :afrostar:

Another ability idea I had regarding Nuclear energy:

Meltdown: When the user is at 50% health, moves can be used on the target regardless of abilities. All Pokemon on the opposing side, as well as adjacent Pokemon lose 1/16 of their total health. (Radiation exposure)

I'm not sure that I like the "Mold Breaker" effect activating at 50% though, but the radiation effect would stack with the artist idea of the other signature Atomic Breath. A 50% chance to badly psn the target along with slow damage over time seems like good stacking/stalling potential, made even better by having a Steel typing.

Are you theorymonning a metagame where nothing is changed an the original Dragon is added? I feel like that would centralize its meta around just that Pokemon and its partners/answers.
Possibly, which is why I said in the initial post that it is a small thing compared to the sweeping ideas I've surveyed in the thread. However, it could be adjusted. Perhaps, I could theorymon a meta game specific to the mystery lore that Game Freak never bothered with?

- Like the original appearance of Suicune, Entei, Raikou could be new Pokemon before they were revived by Ho-oh. Likely not as powerful, but perhaps theorymoning for the lower tiers.
- The theoretical "primal Magikarp" that used to be more powerful in ages past. I remember lurking Smogon awhile back and they actually did something on that I believe.
- Genesect's fossilized form before Team Plasma got to it. Perhaps it was actually more powerful in its natural state.
- A theoretical Hydreigon that kept its Tank-like aspects had Game Freak decided not to scrap the idea.
- A theoretical Poison type Umbreon, how that might change its viability. Funnily enough you don't need to change the lore too much since the earlier dex entries mention the Poison, likely as a hold-over.

Heck, a metagame of the series hidden lore of unused ideas that never saw the light of day might actually be quite fun. I wouldn't be surprised if its been done before, but if I had to expand upon a metagame featuring the OG tao dragon, then this seems like the logical step.

Gravity Monkey

Que des barz comme si jtais au hebs
is a Top Artist
Possibly, which is why I said in the initial post that it is a small thing compared to the sweeping ideas I've surveyed in the thread. However, it could be adjusted. Perhaps, I could theorymon a meta game specific to the mystery lore that Game Freak never bothered with?

- Like the original appearance of Suicune, Entei, Raikou could be new Pokemon before they were revived by Ho-oh. Likely not as powerful, but perhaps theorymoning for the lower tiers.
- The theoretical "primal Magikarp" that used to be more powerful in ages past. I remember lurking Smogon awhile back and they actually did something on that I believe.
- Genesect's fossilized form before Team Plasma got to it. Perhaps it was actually more powerful in its natural state.
- A theoretical Hydreigon that kept its Tank-like aspects had Game Freak decided not to scrap the idea.
- A theoretical Poison type Umbreon, how that might change its viability. Funnily enough you don't need to change the lore too much since the earlier dex entries mention the Poison, likely as a hold-over.

Heck, a metagame of the series hidden lore of unused ideas that never saw the light of day might actually be quite fun. I wouldn't be surprised if its been done before, but if I had to expand upon a metagame featuring the OG tao dragon, then this seems like the logical step.
Something like "Loremons", that could be amusing. Also I thought it was pretty much confirmed that Entei etc.. were eeveelutions before dying

Also make Slowbro's Shellder a regional form pls

Something like "Loremons", that could be amusing.
I very much like that idea, would be very fun to think about.

Also I thought it was pretty much confirmed that Entei etc.. were eeveelutions before dying
This is from Pokemon Generations. The "nameless Pokemon." Not sure where that series ranks on the "canon" tier, but its presentation was very in-line with the games.

I have no idea if it was confirmed yet, I know it's a popular fan theory. I think it would just be more fun to think about them being something other.

Also make Slowbro's Shellder a regional form pls

This guy huh? I'm surprised no one has done the GSC Beta, have they? Shame Game Freak scrapped him, but I'd definitely include beta lore, since it's pretty interesting. Regional formes are also my favorite gimmick. ; ) I'll have to look at Shellder's & Slowpoke's distribution, since I do want this meta to be accurate as if Game Freak did implement these ideas.

DuoM2

whao
is a Community Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
Another idea I won't be able to do until my current mod finishes. On the Pet Mods Discord (which you all should join if you haven't), there was a trend that lasted for like a day where a few people made Google Sheets of what it would be like if they had full control over every change in a Pet Mod. I think people liked my idea, so I felt like posting it here with the possibility of making it an open mod where anyone could submit things. Since the kinds of mod that people made Google Sheets for are generally called "solomods," and my username on most other websites is Duo / DuoM2, I felt like this was an appropriate name...

Duomod

Since this first originated as a mod where I made whatever changes I wanted to, there are quite a few changes from the basic Pokemon formula...

- Mega Evolutions and Z-Crystals are removed from the game. I don't like either of them.
- Instead of each Pokemon having up to three abilities to choose from, every Pokemon has exactly three abilities, and they gain the effects of all of them at the same time, no matter which they choose in the teambuilder. The original thought was that already good Pokemon could have one nice ability like Magic Guard, and two that are just smaller bonuses like Gooey and Cute Charm. There's obviously a lot more you can do with this though, like giving a bad Pokemon three great abilities at once.
- Most notably, almost half of the type chart is gone. Normal, Grass, Fire, Water, Ground, Electric, Flying, Dragon, Fairy, and Steel still exist. While Poison, Ghost, Dark, and Psychic are completely removed (with a few moves as exceptions), all Fighting moves become Normal, Bug moves become Grass, Rock moves become Ground, and Ice moves become Water. No changes are made to the type matchup chart.
- Because so many types are gone, there are a lot of items left without a purpose, a lot of Pokemon that don't have a type, and a lot of moves that should exist that are now missing. I've lowered the amount of Pokemon to 30, and I have a spreadsheet of all of the other changes I would make here - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1K53qv2kt4OEsi9vWxKmz6bxX4cEw5K5uwWTF7DxLLVA/edit?usp=sharing

In this mod, people would be allowed to sub any Pokemon or Fakemon, as well as any items, abilities, or moves that they want, whether it be changes to existing ones or brand new ones. The council would look over each one, give them feedback, and then choose to accept or reject them. Not much else is different about the submission parts of the mod, but the mod is very different at its core thanks to the major changes.

As for questions...

- Should Fakemon be removed or kept for any reason?
- Does anyone think this be better as a solomod where I keep the existing Pokemon/Fakemon for any reason? I would look over all of the Pokemon and items for balance again later.
- Any other concerns? Does this look like a meta that you would want to play?

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
I have the attention span of a goldfish so here's another Pet Mod idea from yours truly

Breeding Variants
Heart Scale

You've ever seen those cool fanart posts where someone makes drawings of a Pokemon and what they would look like if their offspring took traits from their breeding partner? This Pet mod would take this concept and put it into a playable form. It'd work something like this.

You'd start with a "base" Pokemon that'll take traits from a chosen breeding partner, or "donor", from the same egg group.
Let's use these two handsome gentleman as an example. As the base, Drampa would take the following traits from Aggron:
-A type to replace one of his current ones
-5 moves from Aggron's movepool
-One of Aggron's abilities
-Average out one of Aggron's base stats with his corresponding stat (both mon's defense in this case/2 rounded down)
-Some sort of fitting suffix to denote the newly made alternate form

In the end, it'd look something like this:

Drampa-Quarry (Drampa + Aggron)
Stats: 78 / 60 / 132 (Defense stats averaged) / 135 / 91 / 36 (532 BST)
Type:
/

New Moves: Earth Power, Flash Cannon, Rock Polish, Stealth Rock, Taunt
Abilities: Berserk, Sturdy, Sap Sipper

Now, I know what you're all thinking. But Dramps, isn't this just diet Fusion Evolution? However, I think there are two key things that set this one apart:

Thematic Cohesiveness. Not unlike Regional Variants, this mod would make users submit multiple stages for "evolutionary lines", with LC and NFE versions of the breeding variants where applicable (eg decidueye + talonflame). Dex entries would also be encouraged and put into the spreadsheet.

Metagame building. This is the bigger difference. If you still think this is a thinly veiled FE clone, at least consider it the more "competitively viable" FE alternative: The one that builds upon rather than drowning out the established OU metagame via tighter quality control policies to make sure broken stuff doesn't win in unmanageable droves; even something like the above example would be subject to scrutiny due to its variety of highly desirable elements such as typing and stats. One of these policies includes...

Banlist
While it's impossible to have a banlist expanded upon the current OU one, all Pokemon tiered higher than RUBL + Slaking will be banned as bases.
Slaking is obvious with its already high stats and donors letting it circumvent Truant, and the UU+ ban is to prevent subs from devolving into "make an already good Pokemon even better". In addition, Ditto will be banned as a base and a donor, as well as all Undiscovered Pokemon being banned from being used at all, even if it's two of them.

Questions

-Any potentially problematic bases/donors that should be banned too?
-How do the mixing mechanics look? Any changes that should be made there?

Last edited:
I have the attention span of a goldfish so here's another Pet Mod idea from yours truly

Breeding Variants
Heart Scale

You've ever seen those cool fanart posts where someone makes drawings of a Pokemon and what they would look like if their offspring took traits from their breeding partner? This Pet mod would take this concept and put it into a playable form. It'd work something like this.

You'd start with a "base" Pokemon that'll take traits from a chosen breeding partner, or "donor", from the same egg group.
Let's use these two handsome gentleman as an example. As the base, Drampa would take the following traits from Aggron:
-Average out one of Aggron's base stats with his corresponding stat (both mon's defense in this case/2 rounded down)

Type:
/

Now, I know what you're all thinking. But Dramps, isn't this just diet Fusion Evolution? However, I think there are two key things that set this one apart:

Thematic Cohesiveness. Not unlike Regional Variants, this mod would make users submit multiple stages for "evolutionary lines", with LC and NFE versions of the breeding variants where applicable (eg decidueye + talonflame). Dex entries would also be encouraged and put into the spreadsheet.

Metagame building. This is the bigger difference. If you still think this is a thinly veiled FE clone, at least consider it the more "competitively viable" FE alternative: The one that builds upon rather than drowning out the established OU metagame via tighter quality control policies to make sure broken stuff doesn't win in unmanageable droves; even something like the above example would be subject to scrutiny due to its variety of highly desirable elements such as typing and stats. One of these policies includes...

Banlist
While it's impossible to have a banlist expanded upon the current OU one, all Pokemon tiered higher than RUBL + Slaking will be banned as bases.
Slaking is obvious with its already high stats and donors letting it circumvent Truant, and the UU+ ban is to prevent subs from devolving into "make an already good Pokemon even better". In addition, Ditto will be banned as a base and a donor, as well as all Undiscovered Pokemon being banned from being used at all, even if it's two of them.

Questions

Questions:
  • How do megas work?
  • Can we submit baby Pokemon despite being undiscovered?
  • What does Quarry have to do with Steel-Type or Aggron?
Seems cool though. Id give it a shot.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Questions:
  • How do megas work?
  • Can we submit baby Pokemon despite being undiscovered?
  • What does Quarry have to do with Steel-Type or Aggron?
Seems cool though. Id give it a shot.
  • No megas at all, even if the base's vanilla form has a mega. This is to prevent subs from becoming "xd op mega".
  • Baby Pokemon are a special case: They'll take on the egg group of their evolved form(s).
  • idk, just figured mountains have quarries or some shit like that, didn't put much thought into it

Marigold

formerly KuraiTenshi26

Breeding Variants
Heart Scale

Type:
/

Banlist

Questions

This is a very neat idea! I'm a sucker for keeping to the flavor of pokemon when designing new metagame ideas, so this is right up my alley. I can also appreciate this metagame not drowning out existing standard play, and instead augmenting an existing one. I could definitely see myself getting involved with this.

Since this is a format that involves parent/child relationships, what are your thoughts on making the inheritance between each pokemon a bit more lenient? Ideas that come to mind include having any (up to) 3 abilities from a combination of the parents, and averaging more than 1 stat (you can set a maximum number of changed stats). Also, what are your thoughts on Smeargle and Regigigas as parents? Sketch could be a very notorious move to pass on, and we all know that Regigigas is an obnoxious pile of stats.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)