Project Personal NU Viability Rankings Discussion

etern

is a Community Leaderis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a defending SCL Championis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
NU Leader
Personal NU Viability Rankings Discussion

Due to the subjective nature of tiering, people can often have vastly different opinions on the viability of certain Pokemon and their place in shaping the metagame. Lower tiers in particular are incredibly dynamic, which means that they're constantly changing and being influenced by popular trends. However, every good player carves their own niche style of teambuilding and has a unique view of what works in the tier, which means that there is no concrete answer to determine definitive viability. In this thread, I invite everyone to share your own personal viability rankings and explain your thought process and reasoning behind the Pokemon placements within it.

Rules:

1. No shitposting, this is meant to be a resource which people can look at in the future when learning or revising over Gen 7 NU.
  2. You don't need to comment on every Pokemon in your ranking if their placement is obvious or similar to the current VR.
  3. Feel free to use whatever ranking system you'd like as long as there's a clear distinction between rankings that we can understand.
  4. Use hidetags if your rankings are super big

Rabia

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
GP & NU Leader
S Rank:
Pokemon in this rank fill all of the main criteria and then some with a strong proficiency in one or more of the positive traits. If a Pokemon in this rank has any downsides, they are usually tame or eclipsed by their obvious assets.

S
:incineroar: Incineroar
:passimian: Passimian
:slowking: Slowking

A Rank:
Pokemon in this rank may fill the majority or all of the positive criteria. These Pokemon may have one major or a handful of minor negative characteristics that could set them back.

A+
:aerodactyl: Aerodactyl
:heliolisk: Heliolisk
:steelix: Steelix
:weezing: Weezing
:rhydon: Rhydon

A
:dhelmise: Dhelmise
:garbodor: Garbodor
:comfey: Comfey
:rotom: Rotom
:pangoro: Pangoro
:druddigon: Druddigon
:vaporeon: Vaporeon
:xatu: Xatu

A-
:sigilyph: Sigilyph
:delphox: Delphox
:whimsicott: Whimsicott
:seismitoad: Seismitoad
:blastoise: Blastoise
:sceptile: Sceptile
:togedemaru: Togedemaru
:magmortar: Magmortar

B Rank:
Pokemon in this rank do an alright job fulfilling criteria, albeit not as convincingly. These Pokemon will have some issues you should be accounting for while building your team.

B+
:vikavolt: Vikavolt
:sneasel: Sneasel
:guzzlord: Guzzlord
:exeggutor-alola: Alolan Exeggutor
:palossand: Palossand
:scrafty: Scrafty

B
:golbat: Golbat
:vivillon: Vivillon
:braviary: Braviary
:absol: Absol
:decidueye: Decidueye
:glalie-mega: Mega Glalie

B-
:samurott: Samurott
:accelgor: Accelgor
:medicham: Medicham
:gallade: Gallade
:abomasnow-mega: Mega Abomasnow
:ferroseed: Ferroseed

C Rank:
Pokemon in this rank do a mediocre job at filling criteria. The sizable amount of negative characteristics associated with these Pokemon are something to weigh against their positives before you fit one on a team.

C+
:silvally-steel: Silvally-Steel
:charizard: Charizard
:clawitzer: Clawitzer
:victreebel: Victreebel
:audino-mega: Mega Audino

C
:mismagius: Mismagius
:piloswine: Piloswine
:aurorus: Aurorus
:malamar: Malamar
:pyukumuku: Pyukumuku

D Rank:
Pokemon in this rank are those that are NU by usage, but are otherwise unviable. Do not discuss the placement of Pokemon here nor nominate Pokemon to move up/down to this rank.

:ambipom: Ambipom
:hariyama: Hariyama
:hitmonlee: Hitmonlee
:hitmontop: Hitmontop
:klinklang: Klinklang
:mesprit: Mesprit
:miltank: Miltank
:minior: Minior
:typhlosion: Typhlosion

So, there isn't really a particular metric I went with when making this; I more or less just went with the stuff the normal VR goes with.

I don't think I had any particularly notable changes; I unranked/D ranked a shit ton of Pokemon (Regirock, Torterra, Mesprit, Hariyama, Silvally-Poison, Clefairy) that in my opinion lack enough of a niche to be ranked. Sure, these are usable Pokemon; however, I think there's generally not much reason to use them over more consistent options unless your team simply needs the very select tools they can provide.

My S and A+ ranks are rather different from the current VR. Like in the most recent voting slate, I do have Slowking in S, but I also have Aerodactyl above Heliolisk within A+. From my experience, it is incredibly difficult to have a game in which Aerodactyl will be deadweight or struggle to contribute; at the worst, it'll Pursuit trap something, switch into Incineroar a couple times, or chip away at something like Steelix. On the other hand, Heliolisk can really struggle against certain builds like Seismitoad + Rotom that make predicting super necessary. Of course, Heliolisk is one of the most terrifying wallbreakers in the tier, so I was unwilling to drop it out of my top 5, but I think Aerodactyl generally has more favorable matchups than Heliolisk does.

Garbodor dropped from A+ to A mostly because of competition from Weezing defensively. Garbodor has much better offensive potential sure, but it ends up struggling at times defensive because of its lack of a Ground immunity, which can leave it suffering against Pokemon like Passimian, Comfey, and Earthquake Sceptile.

Togedemaru is in mid A- rank for me mainly because of role compression. I think Togedemaru sucks overall as a Pokemon, but it does enough jobs at an average level to warrant inclusion on a lot of teams. Similarly, Blastoise is in mid A- because of meh role compression, but it suffers a lot currently due to Ice Beam vs Toxic being a bit more troubling. People also seem to in general be shifting away from Blastoise + Weezing builds, which doesn't help its case.

I put Sneasel at the top of B+ because it just struggles to contribute much of anything. Sure, you can cripple Incineroar by removing its Berry, but what are you doing afterwards...? Sneasel is just such a magnet for metagame staples that bend it over that it just doesn't have a large impact on games anymore. Aerodactyl largely outclasses it as a Pursuit trapper because of its defensive utility letting it come in more often, and both it and Absol have the sheer power Sneasel at times lacks. It's still good, but it's nowhere near its peak.

I ranked Victreebel because of its tour success. It's obviously no Vileplume, but it has some decent defensive utility with its typing and Strength Sap.

Piloswine is bad. Never once do I teambuild and think "wow, Piloswine is the Stealth Rock setter for this team!". It's worse than Rhydon in essentially every way outside of lacking a 4x weakness to Water and Grass.

That's about it really. I've enjoyed this generation a fair bit and have come around to appreciate the current metagame a fair bit. While it still has super standard builds floating around, I feel there's enough room for viable innovation, which makes it much more pleasurable to play and teambuild in. Hope to see y'all around for Generation 8.

Last edited:
S Rank:
Pokemon in this rank fill all of the main criteria and then some with a strong proficiency in one or more of the positive traits. If a Pokemon in this rank has any downsides, they are usually tame or eclipsed by their obvious assets.

S
:incineroar:Incineroar
:passimian:Passimian
A Rank:
Pokemon in this rank may fill the majority or all of the positive criteria. These Pokemon may have one major or a handful of minor negative characteristics that could set them back.

A+
:heliolisk:Heliolisk
:aerodactyl:Aerodactyl
:weezing:Weezing
:garbodor:Garbodor
:rhydon:Rhydon
:rotom:Rotom

A
:dhelmise:Dhelmise
:steelix:Steelix
:pangoro:Pangoro
:druddigon:Druddigon
:vaporeon:Vaporeon

A-
:delphox:Delphox
:comfey:Comfey
:magmortar:Magmortar
:vikavolt:Vikavolt
:scrafty:Scrafty
:whimsicott:Whimsicott
:seismitoad:Seismitoad
B Rank:
Pokemon in this rank do an alright job fulfilling criteria, albeit not as convincingly. These Pokemon will have some issues you should be accounting for while building your team.

B+
:braviary:Braviary
:palossand:Palossand
:decidueye:Decidueye
:golbat:Golbat

B
:accelgor:Accelgor
:samurott:Samurott
:abomasnow-mega:Abomasnow-Mega
:glalie-mega:Glalie-Mega

B-
:medicham:Medicham
:absol:Absol
:gallade:Gallade
C Rank:
Pokemon in this rank do a mediocre job at filling criteria. The sizable amount of negative characteristics associated with these Pokemon are something to weigh against their positives before you fit one on a team.

C+

:mismagius:Mismagius
:audino-mega:Audino-Mega
:pyukumuku:Pyukumuku
:malamar:Malamar
:aurorus:Aurorus

C

:clawitzer:Clawitzer
:charizard:Charizard
:silvally-steel:Silvally-Steel
:torterra:Torterra
:mesprit:Mesprit
:hariyama:Hariyama
:lilligant: Lilligant
:cinccino: Cinccino
D Rank:
Pokemon in this rank are those that are NU by usage, but are otherwise unviable. Do not discuss the placement of Pokemon here nor nominate Pokemon to move up/down to this rank.

Ambipom
:hitmontop:Hitmontop
:hitmonlee:Hitmonlee
:klinklang:Klinklang
:minior:Minior
:miltank:Miltank
:typhlosion:Typhlosion

Not much different from the current VR, i dropped/rised things by looking at tournaments usage and success, i only unranked Regirock cause is the only Pokèmon i think is that bad, all the other C's can put work and win games, and thats why i also ranked Cinccino, Lilligant and Victreebel. While Rabia dropped Garbodor, i think the actual potential of running an offensive set is enough to put it at the same rank of Weezing. I rised Guzzlord of 2 ranks cause i think is really good rn, his coverage is hard to handle and can provide defensive utility. Dropped Piloswine cause is kinda bad. All the other rises/drops are based especially on Snake.

(edited with hidetags)

Last edited:

0NI

j'arrive
S

A Rank:

A+

A

A-

B Rank:

B+

B

:ditto: Ditto
:silvally-poison: Silvally-Poison
:zangoose: Zangoose
:houndoom: Houndoom

B-

:frogadier: Frogadier
:ursaring: Ursaring
:vigoroth: Vigoroth
:ludicolo: Ludicolo
:lapras: Lapras

C Rank:

C+

:silvally-flying: Silvally-Flying
:roselia: Roselia
:gurdurr: Gurdurr

C

:altaria: Altaria
:sliggoo: Sliggoo

edit later

Zneon

uh oh
is a Community Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
S rank:

S
:Slowking: Slowking
:Heliolisk: Heliolisk

A Rank:
A+
:Aerodactyl: Aerodactyl
:Steelix: Steelix
:Garbodor: Garbodor
:Weezing: Weezing
:Rhydon: Rhydon
:Rotom: Rotom

A
:Dhelmise: Dhelmise
:Comfey: Comfey
:Blastoise: Blastoise
:Druddigon: Druddigon
:Xatu: Xatu
:Vaporeon: Vaporeon
:Pangoro: Pangoro
A-
:Delphox: Delphox
:Sigilyph: Sigilyph
:Magmortar: Magmortar
:Seismitoad: Seismitoad
:Whimsicott: Whimsicott
:Vikavolt: Vikavolt
:Scrafty: Scrafty

B rank:

B+
:Sneasel: Sneasel
:Braviary: Braviary
:Sceptile: Sceptile
:Vivillon: Vivillon
:Palossand: Palossand
:Guzzlord: Guzzlord
:Decidueye: Decidueye

B
:Exeggutor-Alola: Exeggutor-Alola
:Glalie-Mega: Glalie-Mega
:Accelgor: Accelgor
:Samurott: Samurott
:Absol: Absol

B-
:Medicham: Medicham
:Gallade: Gallade
:Abomasnow-Mega: Abomasnow-Mega

C rank

C+
:Ferroseed: Ferroseed
:Malamar: Malamar
:Mismagius: Mismagius
:Audino-Mega: Audino-Mega
:Aurorus: Aurorus
:Pyukumuku: Pyukumuku
:Silvally-Steel: Silvally-Steel

C
:Piloswine: Piloswine
:Clawitzer: Clawitzer
:Charizard: Charizard
:Torterra: Torterra
:Mesprit: Mesprit
:Regirock: Regirock
:Silvally-Poison: Silvally-Poison
:Hariyama: Hariyama

D rank

D
:Ambipom: Ambipom
:Hitmontop: Hitmontop
:Hitmonlee: Hitmonlee
:Klinklang: Klinklang
:Minior: Minior
:Miltank: Miltank
:Typhlosion: Typhlosion

To be fair, not a lot really changes with my personal VR and the actual VR, I just changed it a little bit, I put both Lisk and King in S rank, because I think they are just better than anything in A+, King because it's so splashable and can perform any role you needed because of how customable it is, and Heliolisk because of it's threat factor and perfect coverage that allows it to hit everything neutrally, and due to its threat factor it can just pivot and provide momentum for teams, thus these 2 are S with Incin and Passi, which are the undisputed top 2. And I put Rotom in A+ because I feel like it's the most useful hazard remover in the tier with it's immunity to Spikes and Tspikes and WoW to cripple almost every SR setter in the tier, it's not that much better than Dhelmise, but effective enough for me to put it in A+. The rest are pretty minor changes.

Last edited:

Funbot28

Banned deucer.
Mons are listed by viability except D Rank

S-Rank:

Incineroar
Passimian
Heliolisk
Slowking

A-Rank:

A+

Garbador
Steelix
Rhydon
Aerodactyl
Blastoise

Druddigon

A

Rotom
Comfey
Weezing
Pangoro
Dhelmise
Togedemaru
Sigiliyph

A-

Xatu
Vaporeon
Seismitoad
Delphox
Whimsicott
Magmortar
Vivillon

B-Rank:

B+

Vikavolt
Sneasel
Golbat
Scrafty
Exeggutor-A
Braviary
Guzzlord

B

Palossand
Glalie-Mega
Samurott
Accelgor
Medicham

B-

Absol
Gallade
Charizard
Ferroseed
Abomasnow-Mega

C-Rank:

C+

Audino-Mega
Aurorus
Mismagius
Decidueye
Pyukumuku
Articuno
Malamar
Clawitzer

C

Silvally-Steel
Piloswine
Mesprit
Regirock
Typhlosion
Hariyama
Clefairy
Silvally-Poison
Torterra
Hitmontop

D-Rank:

Ambipom
Hitmonlee
Klingklang
Minior
Miltank

Ok so I think most of my list makes sense for the most part without any drastic changes from the current VR. However, there may be some changes that need a bit of clarification:

Slowking: King is an S-Rank to me in my eyes as it basically took the role of Bro (to a lesser extent of course) as a blanket check to a bunch of top threats such as the most common SR setters in Steelix, Rhydon, alongside mons such as Delphox, Magmortar, Sigilyph, and Incineroar if its the defensive Colbur set. It's just a flexible mon rn and offers a lot to balance and BO teams alike which are the most common as of late.

Steelix & Rhydon: I feel should be higher as they are far and beyond the most consistent hazard setters in the tier with their own unique perks. Lix offers a great Steel typing which can help check mons like Comfey, Druddigon, and Whimsicott more reliably. Rhydon offers a better Incineroar check alongside being able to have more of an offensive presence versus hazard removers such as Xatu, Toise, and Dhelmise mainly.

Togedemaru: 2nd best scarfer behind Pass and just offers a lot of role compression for teams needing a Steel and a Lisk check in the same slot. Yes it usually just U-turns versus teams with Lix but it still provides momentum like no other. It's STABs are also nothing to scoff at, as it can provide a great late game win condition with hax on it's side and more powerful coverage in Wild Charge to finish off weakened foes.

Charizard: After the smelly Rabia got me on the Zard + Absol offensive core train, I have really been liking Z-Celebrate Zard ever since. It can really threaten just about any team not carrying solid checks such as AV Slowking, SpD Delphox, and Guzzlord (which can all be threatened out by Absol thankfully). I think a raise like this is warranted for this alone.

Decidueye: Im sorry but this mon is just not good. Incin being everywhere already makes it hard to perform well but adding on to this it faces competition from Dhelmise which is in a great spot rn, and struggles to deal with hazard setters such as Z-Outrage Drudd and Z-Ice Punch Toad (which is picking up popularity). Overall, just a hard mon to make work unless facing stall teams unfort.

Articuno: Surprised this was not on the VR already, but Cuno is a dope Deffoger and cleric in one for stall teams, checking dangerous special attackers such as Sceptile, Whimsicott, and Exeggutor-A. Pressure is also dope over the long course of the match and ye its a niche but useful pick.

Ye and that's that. ban lisk and this tier will be even doper :blobthumbsup:

ILoveMilk

Banned deucer.
S

A Rank:

A+

A

A-

B Rank:

B+

:silvally-poison: Silvally-Poison

B

:ditto: Ditto
:sawk: Sawk

B-

:haunter: Haunter
:gastrodon: Gastrodon
:rotom-frost: Rotom-F

C Rank:

C+

:houndoom: Houndoom
:pyroar: Pyroar
:clefairy: Clefairy

C

:lurantis: Lurantis
:kabutops: Kabutops
:ludicolo: Ludicolo
:roselia: Roselia
:zangoose: Zangoose
:mudsdale: Mudsdale

Togedemaru sucks and it's only saving grace is role compression

Blastoise also sucks and is a huge momentum drain, but sometimes you need to use it due to your team composition

Silvally-Poison is extremely underrated

Vivillon and Comfey always have chances to outright win against any team

Sneasel can shut down or invalidate entire mons just by being present

Obama with protect and tspikes support is insane

Garbodor is better than Weezing because you can absorb tspikes

S Rank:

S
Incineroar
Passimian

A Rank:

A+
Aerodactyl
Weezing
Garbodor
Slowking
Rhydon
Heliolisk
Pangoro
Rotom

A
Xatu
Druddigon
Comfey
Steelix

A-
Delphox
Sneasel
Sigilyph
Vikavolt
Scrafty
Vaporeon
Dhelmise
Whimsicott
Seismitoad
Togedemaru

B Rank:

B+
Palossand
Vivillon
Golbat
Guzzlord
Sceptile
Decidueye
Blastoise

B
Samurott
Braviary
Exeggutor-Alola
Silvally-Steel
Magmortar

B-
Medicham
Abomasnow-Mega
Gallade
Glalie-Mega
Accelgor
:lilligant: lilligant
Charizard

C Rank:

C+
Mismagius
Audino-Mega
Aurorus
Ferroseed
Torterra
1572456598543.png
Silvally-Poison

C
Clawitzer
Hariyama
1572456571438.png
Clefairy
Pyukumuku
:silvally-water: Silvally-water
:ursaring: ursaring
:victreebel: victreebel

D Rank:

Ambipom
Hitmontop

:hitmonlee:Hitmonlee
Klinklang
Minior
Miltank
Typhlosion
Malamar

Last edited:

Ren-chon

Lifesbane, 36 layers. How does it look?
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Past SCL Champion
S Rank:

S

A Rank:

A+

A

A-

B Rank:

B+
:exeggutor-alola: Exeggutor-Alola
:glalie-mega: Glalie-Mega

B
:silvally: Silvally-Steel

B-
:silvally: Silvally-Poison
:abomasnow-mega: Abomasnow-Mega

C Rank:

C+
:silvally: Silvally-Fairy
:audino-mega: Audino-Mega

C
:clefairy: Clefairy
:torterra: Torterra

D Rank:

:ambipom: Ambipom
:hitmonlee: Hitmonlee
:hitmontop: Hitmontop
:klinklang: Klinklang
:minior: Minior
:miltank: Miltank

poh

<?>
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
S

Incineroar

Passimian

Slowking

A+

Heliolisk

Aerodactyl

Weezing

Garbodor

Steelix

Seismitoad

Dhelmise

A

Comfey

Blastoise

Togedemaru

Golbat

Xatu

Rotom

Sigilyph

Pangoro

Druddigon

A-

Delphox

Rhydon

Magmortar

Vikavolt

Exeggutor-Alola

Scrafty

Sceptile

Whimsicott

B+

Sneasel

Braviary

Palossand

Guzzlord

Vaporeon

B

Accelgor

Samurott

Decidueye

Vivillon

Glalie-Mega

B-
Silvally-Poison
1572456598543.png

Victreebel :Victreebel:
Medicham

Abomasnow-Mega

Gallade

Ferroseed

Aurorus

C+

Mismagius

Audino-Mega

Malamar

Silvally-Steel

Piloswine

Charizard

C

Clawitzer

Torterra

Mesprit

Hariyama

Clefairy
1572456571438.png

Pyukumuku

Absol

Typhlosion

Reasonings for drops/rises: soon™

Snou

the grand master of all the things bad!
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
S-Rank:
Passimian
Slowking
Incineroar

A+ Rank:
Comfey
Steelix

A Rank:
Seismitoad
Druddigon
Sigilyph
Sneasel
Heliolisk
Aerodactyl
Rotom
Weezing

A- Rank:
Delphox
Blastoise
Dhelmise
Vaporeon
Magmortar
Xatu
Rhydon
Garbodor

B+ Rank:
Aurorus
Golbat
Vivillon
Kabutops
Braviary
Victrebell
Vikavolt
Pangoro
Togedamaru
Sylvally-Steel
Sceptile
Abomasnow-Mega
Scrafty
Ferroseed
Exeggutor-Alola

B Rank:
Guzzlord
Piloswine
Decidueye
Clefairy
Rotom-Frost
Typhlosion
Glalie-Mega
Samurott

B- Rank:
Hariyama
Gurdurr
Whimsicott
Malamar
Medicham

C+ Rank:
Accelgor
Mismagius
Mesprit
Gallade

C Rank:
Audino-Mega
Torterra
Clawitzer
Articuno

C- Rank:
Absol
Klingklang
Charizard

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)