Rules Past Format Battle Stadium SQSA

I've been playing BSS for a couple of days now after finally getting my team together. Got to master ball pretty quickly and now I find myself in a bit of a rut.

I've been playing with Calyrex-S with substitute and it was very powerful but I find myself being able to steal games with it or a dynamax t-tar a lot less reliably, notably having to play super well with bulky zapdos to deal with things like Urshifu Dark and Zacian. My current team was definitely too soft to some of the most widely seen threats.

I've been thinking about playing a bulky reflect Ho-oH and Dynamax attacker T-tar core with the other team members being some specific counters to hard to deal with threats for the core like Kyogre. I would appreciate any input that people have as I don't have a ton of experience with the meta and I find it hard to find good resources. Specifically what are the best counters to Kyogre? Are there other pokemon that are good against Ho-oh/T-tar? Any must have pokemon for the core?

1_TrickPhony

BSS Circuit Co-host
I've been playing BSS for a couple of days now after finally getting my team together. Got to master ball pretty quickly and now I find myself in a bit of a rut.

I've been playing with Calyrex-S with substitute and it was very powerful but I find myself being able to steal games with it or a dynamax t-tar a lot less reliably, notably having to play super well with bulky zapdos to deal with things like Urshifu Dark and Zacian. My current team was definitely too soft to some of the most widely seen threats.

I've been thinking about playing a bulky reflect Ho-oH and Dynamax attacker T-tar core with the other team members being some specific counters to hard to deal with threats for the core like Kyogre. I would appreciate any input that people have as I don't have a ton of experience with the meta and I find it hard to find good resources. Specifically what are the best counters to Kyogre? Are there other pokemon that are good against Ho-oh/T-tar? Any must have pokemon for the core?
So its very hard to follow your team composition and the potential changes you would make to your team without context, bu I can answer the later general questions you have:

Counters to Kyogre: Water Absorbers: Lapras, Seismitoad, scarf electrics (zapdos), bulky grasses (Ferrothorn, Rillaboom), and a few legends do pretty well (Bulky Eternatus with a bit of chip on Kyogre, Palkia, Zekrom, or Kyu-Black all do well enough).

Pokemon good against Ho-oh are basically any rock types (do watch out for solar beam which can be run), Kyogre, Zygarde, and all the dragon legends.

Mons that do well against Ttar are any fighting types (urshifus) and ground types (Lando-T, Rhyperior, Groudon) and sword doggo.

https://rilipo1313.hatenablog.com/entry/2021/04/03/142842
https://yukhoe.hatenablog.com/entry/2021/04/02/131716
http://toptmptop.hatenablog.jp/entry/2021/03/01/193737

Have a look at these teams for inspiration.

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
Instead of locking in Ho-oh + Tyranitar and bringing a Kyogre counter, you might want to not pick Tyranitar into that kind of archetype. A common approach to teambuilding / team preview in BSS is divide-and-conquer. If you are facing off against Kyogre you're not facing off vs Calyrex or Eternatus or Yveltal. So Kyogre is commonly paired with Zapdos, but it is also commonly paired with Pokemon like Landorus-T, Urshifu, and Mimikyu, and a Volt Switch from Zapdos can turn your Tyranitar from a Zapdos check to a sitting duck.

For example, the second and third team ika linked above has Water Absorb Maranga Quagsire specifically to check Zapdos AND Kyogre. The second RMT explicitly states to use Tyranitar to check Zapdos, but only for non-Kyogre teams. It simply cannot afford to bring Tyranitar into Kyogre Zapdos teams and get volt switched on multiple times. Water Absorb Quagsire sounds like a crazy set but because the goal isn't just to check Kyogre, but to also be brought against its common accompaniments (most importantly Zapdos), so that is how multiple people have came to that same conclusion.

Kyogre is a good Pokemon, so you are still going to have to manage the matchup with good plays. Kyogre has a lot of checks but only a few of them are able to repeatedly switch in long-term, and the ones that can (Chansey, Ferrothorn, Gastrodon, Shedinja, etc.) may get exploited by its teammates. Many Kyogre checks actually struggle to switch into Life Orb Kyogre, which notably 2HKOs Chansey that don't fully invest into HP / SpD, which is pretty insane. 252+ SpA Life Orb Kyogre Water Spout / Max Geyser (150 BP) vs. 0 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Chansey in Rain: 157-187 (48.3 - 57.5%) -- 94.1% chance to 2HKO.

1_TrickPhony thank you for the information.i I am not trying to rework the current team, but trying to create a new one centred around Hooh. While I could post my current team, I don't think it would add a whole lot to the conversation :)

Ika Ika Musume thank you for those links! It's super helpful even if hard to parse through. Nice to know my thinking is sane and others have built similar teams.

marilli i appreciate your insights, it's super helpful. It's really good to know the role that for example qugsire plays as not only a Kyogre check but also as a check to commonly played things with Kyogre. I have a much better idea how I want to build the team.

Is it ok if I post a team here to get some more insights in it? Getting legendaries ready for battle can take a lot of effort and I don't want to put the effort into the wrong ones.

it is ok to post teams here that you're not sure enough of to make an RMT I've seen it before.

Also, speaking of Ho-oH, is it viable to run all physical attacks except Overheat? Since you'd hardly be using it twice the SpA drop wouldn't matter, and it uses Ho-oH's SpA stat which isn't that much lower. I wouldn't be surprised if there's no room for it though. But if there is, do you run neutral nature or Admant/Jolly? I would think the latter neutral is eh.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
1_TrickPhony thank you for the information.i I am not trying to rework the current team, but trying to create a new one centred around Hooh. While I could post my current team, I don't think it would add a whole lot to the conversation :)

Ika Ika Musume thank you for those links! It's super helpful even if hard to parse through. Nice to know my thinking is sane and others have built similar teams.

marilli i appreciate your insights, it's super helpful. It's really good to know the role that for example qugsire plays as not only a Kyogre check but also as a check to commonly played things with Kyogre. I have a much better idea how I want to build the team.

Is it ok if I post a team here to get some more insights in it? Getting legendaries ready for battle can take a lot of effort and I don't want to put the effort into the wrong ones.
There’s less than a week left of this format allowing Legendaries like Ho-oh, then it’s back to traditional Battle Stadium rules. Probably not worth perfecting a team at this stage, I would just use a team heavily inspired by - if not directly borrowed from - a blog Ika Ika Musume linked.

I highly doubt it, but is there anything viable about Galvantula? Cause I found a shiny one while looking for Tynamo in black. I don't get that into shinys but it seems a waste not to use it...Compound Eyes isn't a great ability with no Sleep Powder or anything, it really just affects Thunder and Skitter Smack. Even with an accurate Thunder Galvantula's low SpA(relatively) probably makes it no better than Regieleki or something's Thunderbolt, and that one never misses.

those are viable? It also gets access to airstream via Bounce, is that ok even with the low atk? base 77 is crumby but it is fine taking from either defense so I figure mixed is the way to go if anything.

I need to find a non-uber Pokémon that can replace Reshiram, I want to practice on ranked battles but with the new rules I can't use it, so, is there any option that does what Reshiram does?

Maybe just plain old Cinderace? It has fire coverage and Airstream too. Dragon moves have high BP but next to no coverage so you don't miss out on lacking those. That seems to be the role of Reshiram.

Alternatively Blaziken is fire too and boosts Spe naturally.

Last edited:
Maybe just plain old Cinderace? It has fire coverage and Airstream too. Dragon moves have high BP but next to no coverage so you don't miss out on lacking those. That seems to be the role of Reshiram.

Alternatively Blaziken is fire too and boosts Spe naturally.
What about a special attacking option?

Oh right since Reshiram is special. Volcarona and Moltres-K are special fire types w. Airstream.
Nice suggestions, maybe even Charizard? Fact is, I'm going to participate in a friendly competition which uses the Dragon's King Cup rules and I'd like to use Reshiram, so I want to train on the cartridge ranked battles, but with series 9 rules I need a substitute to it.

Blaziken can run a special or mixed set. It has decent 110 special attack.
You can use Solar Beam to hit waters and grounds. Max Flare (overheat or fire blast) can set sun for Solar Beam after dynamax. Scorching sands is good coverage for heatran. In the mixed set you can opt for close combat in that move slot(hits heatran and porygon2). The last move is usually protect to get you a speed boost.

Does anyone have a few good answers to Cresselia? Right now I'm using Weavile but it does not stop Cresselia it just fits the other criteria I need and might scare people from using Cresselia just cause it's dark.

One thing that beat my own Cresselia when I used that before was Celesteela. I can elaborate on how but anyways it's a poor fit when I struggle w. Zapdos. Same goes for Urshifu SS, except they're even bad-ish vs. Lando-T which is another thing I have to watch out for. Maybe Mimikyu, but I'm unsure how it does vs, Zapdos.

Does anyone have a few good answers to Cresselia? Right now I'm using Weavile but it does not stop Cresselia it just fits the other criteria I need and might scare people from using Cresselia just cause it's dark.

One thing that beat my own Cresselia when I used that before was Celesteela. I can elaborate on how but anyways it's a poor fit when I struggle w. Zapdos. Same goes for Urshifu SS, except they're even bad-ish vs. Lando-T which is another thing I have to watch out for. Maybe Mimikyu, but I'm unsure how it does vs, Zapdos.
I feel like Taunt is your friend here. You need to stop it setting up boosts, recovering, setting up trick room or passing lunar dance to a teammate.

I am using a trapping Tapu Fini for it and other annoying fat mons (won't help with your Zapdos issues but thought I would post because it is a cool set):
Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Protect / Moonblast
- Whirlpool
- Nature's Madness
- Taunt

I got the set off one of the top teams from a previous season and thought it was cool. They were running protect in the first moveslot (which is nice to give you leftovers recovery and scouting for moves). I am using Moonblast instead because I liked to have a 100% accurate move to at least get some guaranteed damage off. I really like this Fini because it can help you win a 1v1 end game versus a fat mon trying to wear down the clock. The downsides of this set is it more passive than other Fini sets and can be taken advantage of.

Ok, I'm already using Fini, so I'll just change it thanks. To confirm, that set is 56 Special Defense yeah? I haven't seen that before, why not all Def? Or is it actually Spe EVs?

If full Def works then I don't have to change EVs w/ berries which is nice cause I probably don't have the berries. I guess I could reset all the way though...

Hello everyone

I've recently made a team for Battle stadium singles and I'm struggling a lot in master ball tier. So I decided to ask what can I improve.

Here's the team:

GOH (Cinderace-Gmax) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Libero
Level: 50
Gigantamax: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Pyro Ball
- Gunk Shot
- Bounce
- High Jump Kick

DRAGO (Dragonite) (F) @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 244 HP / 4 Atk / 36 Def / 4 SpD / 220 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dual Wingbeat
- Dragon Dance
- Fire Punch
- Ice Punch

ZAP (Zapdos) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Static
EVs: 252 HP / 196 Def / 60 Spe
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hurricane
- Heat Wave
- Roost

MIMI (Mimikyu) (M) @ Kee Berry
Ability: Disguise
EVs: 148 HP / 244 Atk / 108 Def / 4 SpD / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Shadow Sneak
- Drain Punch
- Swords Dance

TAPINI (Tapu Fini) @ Iapapa Berry
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 100 Def / 156 Spe
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Surf
- Moonblast
- Taunt

SUEÑI (Cresselia) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonlight
- Stored Power
- Substitute

Any help will be appreciated : )

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
A quick reply: you have 6 pretty strong pokemon, especially Cinderace / Zapdos / Mimikyu / Tapu Fini. You can't get really better than that as generalist good Pokemon unless you have something specific you want to achieve.

I don't think any of these are critical flaws and you should be able to (and aim to) improve your plays to improve your results. If you try to improve and optimize plays vs common teams then the tweaks flow in naturally. But if you wanted some quick pointers to think about, here's where I'd get started thinking: 1. Bulky Dragonite wants Roost. If you want DD 3 attacks you might want to go adamant or at least invest in some damage. No Attack EVs, uninvested Dragonite is not strong enough and you don't always activate WP. 2. You probably want to incorporate a Ground-type. Cutting Electric neutral coverage and denying Volt Switch Zapdos is a big deal. 3. If you wanted to look for something to cut for the Ground-type, Cresselia isn't particularly well-supported here. I think you might be better off adding something else that can set up on stall (pex, chansey, etc.) because that seems to be Cresselia's job there, but you don't exactly take best advantage of incoming Dark-types.

Welcome to Battle Stadium Singles. If you have more questions please use the Simple Questions thread or join our discord server for live discussion!

A quick reply: you have 6 pretty strong pokemon, especially Cinderace / Zapdos / Mimikyu / Tapu Fini. You can't get really better than that as generalist good Pokemon unless you have something specific you want to achieve.

I don't think any of these are critical flaws and you should be able to (and aim to) improve your plays to improve your results. If you try to improve and optimize plays vs common teams then the tweaks flow in naturally. But if you wanted some quick pointers to think about, here's where I'd get started thinking: 1. Bulky Dragonite wants Roost. If you want DD 3 attacks you might want to go adamant or at least invest in some damage. No Attack EVs, uninvested Dragonite is not strong enough and you don't always activate WP. 2. You probably want to incorporate a Ground-type. Cutting Electric neutral coverage and denying Volt Switch Zapdos is a big deal. 3. If you wanted to look for something to cut for the Ground-type, Cresselia isn't particularly well-supported here. I think you might be better off adding something else that can set up on stall (pex, chansey, etc.) because that seems to be Cresselia's job there, but you don't exactly take best advantage of incoming Dark-types.

Welcome to Battle Stadium Singles. If you have more questions please use the Simple Questions thread or join our discord server for live discussion!
Thank you so much. I'm going to apply the changes you've told me and see how the team works. Also I'm going to learn how to play mimikyu in a better way, as I always lose because of enemies' predicts when I use him : )

Ok, I'm already using Fini, so I'll just change it thanks. To confirm, that set is 56 Special Defense yeah? I haven't seen that before, why not all Def? Or is it actually Spe EVs?

If full Def works then I don't have to change EVs w/ berries which is nice cause I probably don't have the berries. I guess I could reset all the way though...
It is special defence. Full defence should work. Most defensive Fini's run full defence so you should be fine. I got the set from another team without a blog explaining the evs.

You could run some evs in speed to speed creep other defensive finis (not invested in speed). Also Cresselia has the same speed as fini so speed creeping could be handy to ensure you get your taunt off first before it starts setting itself up/recovering.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)