Metagame Partners in Crime

Ok I’m going to make another post about trace as it still hasn’t been fixed, in the faq it clearly says “What about Trace? It just copies the ability of one of the opponents”. Well in this game on turn 1 blastoise traces intimidate and it’s partner gardevoir also gets intimidate so the opponents end up at -2 but it doesn’t stop there, blastoise then also traces download giving gardevoir download and then gardevoir traces intimidate giving both it and blastoise intimidate once again so after an ungodly amount of text the opponents Pokemon end up on -4 attack before a move is even clicked https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7partnersincrime-910215742. This shouldn’t happen and I believe it can be easily fixed by making trace Un-shareable like how mimikyu’s ability works. Here is a another replay that show trace is bugged https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7partnersincrime-876978464 Trace once again activates 3 times on turn 1 and twice with milotic, milotic traces volt absorb then soundproof followed by p2 tracing soundproof. And this final replay, this game is lost due to this bug on turn 10 cloyster traces levitate and loses skill link which makes icicle spear only hit 3 times allowing the opponent to survive (5 hits would have killed) and get up trick room and win https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7partnersincrime-673076658. Once again trace needs to be fixed and I really do think making trace Un-shareable will fix all bugs associated with trace.

Last edited:

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
Ok I’m going to make another post about trace as it still hasn’t been fixed, in the faq it clearly says “What about Trace? It just copies the ability of one of the opponents”. Well in this game on turn 1 blastoise traces intimidate and it’s partner gardevoir also gets intimidate so the opponents end up at -2 but it doesn’t stop there, blastoise then also traces download giving gardevoir download and then gardevoir traces intimidate giving both it and blastoise intimidate once again so after an ungodly amount of text the opponents Pokemon end up on -4 attack before a move is even clicked https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7partnersincrime-910215742. This shouldn’t happen and I believe it can be easily fixed by making trace Un-shareable like how mimikyu’s ability works. Here is a another replay that show trace is bugged https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7partnersincrime-876978464 Trace once again activates 3 times on turn 1 and twice with milotic, milotic traces volt absorb then soundproof followed by p2 tracing soundproof. And this final replay, this game is lost due to this bug on turn 10 cloyster traces levitate and loses skill link which makes icicle spear only hit 3 times allowing the opponent to survive (5 hits would have killed) and get up trick room and win https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7partnersincrime-673076658. Once again trace needs to be fixed and I really do think making trace Un-shareable will fix all bugs associated with trace.
What about Alakazam-Mega?
Does a form change also count as switching in? I assume it does similar to Intimidate off Manectric-Mega.

This could be abusive if you have Tracing new abilities throughout the same turn (in the beginning with a Trace partner, and then after it Megas).

What about Alakazam-Mega?
Does a form change also count as switching in? I assume it does similar to Intimidate off Manectric-Mega.

This could be abusive if you have Tracing new abilities throughout the same turn (in the beginning with a Trace partner, and then after it Megas).
Form my experience it only gets buggy if the trace mon is slower than its partner so with mega zam it rarely happens as it’s so fast but in the last replay I linked trick room was up making mega zam’s slower and trace affected cloyster making it lose skill link and gain levitate which lost him or her the game and I don’t have a replay for this one but I played a game where mega zam trace caused blaziken to lose speed boost and trace something else obviously not ideal losing speed boost

So, I have made a post about what should be looked upon before. Now, I don't think most of the stuff I listed hold water (especially Shadow Tag and Protean) with the sole exception of Anger Point. By using Storm Throw or Frost Breath, they get their Attack maximized. The potent users of this have to be Diancie and Crabominable, with the former having Trick Room for slower Pokemon to go first, spam Diamond Storm like crazy with the attack boosts and prevents Intimidate from ever reducing its attack with Clear Body. I have witnessed Anger Point on Mega Pinsir and Tauros too, so that isn't limited to just Trick Room team, albeit having weaker spread move to work with. There isn't that much countermeasure available aside from Unaware or redirecting it via Rage Powder/Follow Me. I believe that Anger Point has to be banned for its sheer abusive potential, especially with Diancie + Crabominable.

As for Justified + Beat Up, while similar, none of the Justified users can learn Beat Up, therefore, the boosts are strictly restricted to the Justified user to be effective, lessening its abusive potential. I mean given how Partners in Crime works, you can switch Beat Up user out with the Justified user using Beat Up on the switching in Pokemon, but it's more impractical.

Last edited:
Why am I even up this late :(
Darkrai @ Focus Sash
Ability: Bad Dreams
Shiny: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hypnosis
- Substitute
- Dark Pulse
- Focus Blast

Whimsicott @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
Shiny: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Encore
- Leech Seed
- Substitute
- Toxic

Summary: Probably one of the best team leads in this meta IMO. Hypnosis priority one of the first pokemon and set up on both of them. Dual Bad Dreams + Toxic + Leech Seed for massive constant damage. In addition, if the opponent even thinks of doing anything like Protect, or Aromatherapy, just punish them with Encore.

Counters: Dark-types in general obviously hinder this team lead dramatically, though Darkrai may be able to deal with them. The ultimate counter to this lead are Dark/Poison & Dark/Ghost type pokemon. Namely, Sableye and Alolan Muk. Other than that, you shouldn't have too many problems. These pokemon can come in handy, even after the beginning of the battle, depending on your and the opponent's teams of course. Oh yeah, and don't get taunted.

Tips/Suggestions:
- Possibly replace Focus Blast for Psychic or Dream Eater to cover against Fighting & Poison types
- Speed invest for Whimsicott if you find happen to face another Whimsicott
- Give Whimsicott Moonblast or Dazzling Gleam for Sableye
- Give Whimsicott Grass Whistle and get rid of Darkrai's Hypnosis for an extra move.
- Make sure to remember Sleep Clause Mod, don't try to put multiple Pokemon to sleep.

Ok found another glitch, swift swim stacking. On turn 4 +1 max speed pheramosa (661 speed) got outsped by mega pert, jolly max pert only hits 524 speed. Taken from first page “What if the two Pokemon have the same ability? The ability won't stack, and thus nothing special will happen.” https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7partnersincrime-952065355
That's actually a mega evolution bug (Swampert Mega Evolved while Ludicolo was out); I need to check that it's fixed on ROM and then I can PR it on main.

Just felt like sharing some fun strategy
Swoobat @ Aguav Berry
Ability: Simple
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psych Up
- Stored Power
- Tailwind
- Protect

Eevee @ Eevium Z
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpA
Mild Nature
- Last Resort
- Shadow Ball
- Stored Power
- Hyper Voice
or
Kommo-o @ Kommonium Z
Ability: Soundproof
Timid Nature
- Clanging Scales
- Flamethrower
- Focus Blast
- Protect

Clangorous Soulblaze and Extreme Evoboost are actually affect by the abilities Simple and Contrary, as they are Z-moves and not Z-Power Effects. So Eevee will be getting +4 in all stats and Kommo-o will get +2 while firing off a powerful attack.
Swoobat is chosen as the Simple user as it can obtain those stat boosts with Psych Up, and land 420 or 220 BP Stored Power. Normally, Psych Up teams are pretty gimmicky (although surprisingly good in Doubles Ubers, almost like Baton Pass), it really requires you to have Psych Up on nearly every Pokemon. Now, Psych Up can be given to every Pokemon by simply having 1 Pokemon with the move on the field.

Some good teammates include;
-Mega Ampharos (Mold Breaker)
-Mega Gyarados (Also Mold Breaker and Prankster immunity)
-Incineroar (Intimidate and access to Power Trip)
-Clear Body and Hyper Cutter users
-Shell/Battle Armor users
-Raw Power with good bulk
-A back up Psych Up user (preferably ones that par well with your team)

Just felt like sharing some fun strategy
Swoobat @ Aguav Berry
Ability: Simple
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psych Up
- Stored Power
- Tailwind
- Protect

Eevee @ Eevium Z
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpA
Mild Nature
- Last Resort
- Shadow Ball
- Stored Power
- Hyper Voice
or
Kommo-o @ Kommonium Z
Ability: Soundproof
Timid Nature
- Clanging Scales
- Flamethrower
- Focus Blast
- Protect

Clangorous Soulblaze and Extreme Evoboost are actually affect by the abilities Simple and Contrary, as they are Z-moves and not Z-Power Effects. So Eevee will be getting +4 in all stats and Kommo-o will get +2 while firing off a powerful attack.
Swoobat is chosen as the Simple user as it can obtain those stat boosts with Psych Up, and land 420 or 220 BP Stored Power. Normally, Psych Up teams are pretty gimmicky (although surprisingly good in Doubles Ubers, almost like Baton Pass), it really requires you to have Psych Up on nearly every Pokemon. Now, Psych Up can be given to every Pokemon by simply having 1 Pokemon with the move on the field.

Some good teammates include;
-Mega Ampharos (Mold Breaker)
-Mega Gyarados (Also Mold Breaker and Prankster immunity)
-Incineroar (Intimidate and access to Power Trip)
-Clear Body and Hyper Cutter users
-Shell/Battle Armor users
-Raw Power with good bulk
-A back up Psych Up user (preferably ones that par well with your team)
Extreme Evoboost is banned in Partners in Crime.

My abilities aren't transferring on to the second pokemon

I have a linoone and a hitmonchan, no matter which is in the second position, it doesn't gain the ability of the other (i.e my linoone doesn't get a unburden speed boost, and my hitmonchan doesn't get gluttony)

My abilities aren't transferring on to the second pokemon

I have a linoone and a hitmonchan, no matter which is in the second position, it doesn't gain the ability of the other (i.e my linoone doesn't get a unburden speed boost, and my hitmonchan doesn't get gluttony)
That's because Hitmonchan never has Unburden, Hitmonlee is the one with Unburden. Still, you should give us replay to see whenever or not it's a glitch on the Gluttony part.

Last edited:
When I first started playing that meta, I thought Contrary would not be shared because it's too strong. Now that I know it is, I still think this ability should not be shared. I used Contrary Victini for 1 match only, and poor Unaware Psych up Clefairy didn't stand a chance.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)