Pancham

Here's an overlooked Pokemon for your perusal: Pancham! I haven't seen it around all that much while battling, so I assumed it wasn't all that great. I ended up being wrong, as it's not all that bad of a Pokemon. I still legitimately don't know what to do with it, however, so I'll try to piece something together for you all right here, right now.

Best Ability: Scrappy.
Self-explanatory, really. Scrappy allows Pancham's best moves to work on Ghost-types, and even gives Pancham's Fighting-type moves super effective coverage on Honedge, one of LC's rising stars.

Notable Moves:
-Work Up
-Circle Throw
-Crunch
-Body Slam
-Storm Throw
-Roar
-Toxic
-Parting Shot
-Bulk Up
-Power-up Punch

Notice that this list is a short one. Turns out that Pancham, unlike its evolution, doesn't have any nifty coverage moves like Poison Jab or Earthquake to take advantage of. The standout moves here are the ones that could really make Pancham a handy bulky Pokemon to have around, like Circle Throw and Parting Shot. The latter is especially noticeable, as it allows Pancham to decrease offensive stats and maintain momentum, and it's a very spammable move. With these moves glossed over, it's time for some sets that optimize Pancham's unique movepool.

Hibernating Panda
Pancham @ Berry Juice / Eviolite
Ability: Scrappy
Level: 5
EVs: I'm not good with EV spreads, so I'll find something later.
Careful Nature
-Rest
-Sleep Talk
-Bulk Up / Parting Shot
-Circle Throw

This set is untested, but I feel like it could be very useful in the long run. My issue with Pancham mainly springs from its lack of survivability and susceptibility to status, and using a RestTalk strategy remedies this. I'd prefer Parting Shot on this set, because it allows me to avoid potential threats while messing with their stats, so that I can force more switches later on. Ideally, this set should be used with heavy hazard support from Dwebble or something like that, mainly because of the switch-forcing that you want to happen. Bulk Up is okay as well, but reliance on it makes it easier to encore Pancham or phaze it out. I like Pancham best when he's slipping through your fingers with double phazing moves.

Kung Fu Panda
Pancham @ Choice Scarf
EVs: Once again, I'll work this out later.
Jolly Nature
-Storm Throw
-Parting Shot
-Shadow Claw
-Stone Edge

My second set relies on a fast Parting Shot as a means to get other Pokemon into battle safely. That way, neither Pancham or any teammate has to take that much damage on the switch. With a little bit of prediction, this set can excel in the metagame (don't worry, I have tested this one). Circle Throw is a spammable move that can get you out of a bind with slower offensive sweepers like certain Misdreavus and Gligar, and can be used with impunity. Shadow Claw ruins weakened Ghost and Psychic-types, though a Fighting-type move of choice is equally good in some cases thanks to Scrappy. Though you can always use Circle Throw here, Storm Throw has a higher damage output, prevents the opponent from coming back and setting up again, and doesn't have negative priority, a serious burden to any Scarfer. Jolly nature is necessary to outspeed some threats, so I put it over Adamant.

This concludes the first Pancham-related thread on the forum. Please give me feedback on these sets, tell me which one is better (I prefer RestTalk so far), and please help me with the EV spreads so that I can actually use Pancham in the LC metagame. I believe that it's worth it.

Last edited:

chimp

Go Bananas
is an official Team Rateris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I think Pancham sees little use due to Baton Pass being so much easier and more available. Still, I can see Pancham being great on teams with a lot of set-up sweeper, and its potential is definitively untapped.

As of right now, Mold Breaker could came in handy since Berry Juice + Sturdy is still legal. Other then that Pancham is sadly just a worse Timburr :(

I think Pancham sees little use due to Baton Pass being so much easier and more available. Still, I can see Pancham being great on teams with a lot of set-up sweeper, and its potential is definitively untapped.

As of right now, Mold Breaker could came in handy since Berry Juice + Sturdy is still legal. Other then that Pancham is sadly just a worse Timburr :(
Yeah, I've tested both of these sets so far with the recommended EV spreads, and he's pretty decent as a Parting Shot pivot. I prefer the Scarf set to the RestTalk set because it can actually do very well in a tight spot. Storm Throw has saved me against Munchlax a few times so far, for one. Mold Breaker is something I didn't think of using before, but you're right. Pancham could be used a bit like Sawk in NU, breaking through Stealth Rock leads with Fighting-type STAB.

Sadly, that might not even be a choice. He's outclassed by Timburr and even Drilbur no matter what he does...
Parting Shot's still a thing, so I haven't lost faith yet.

The only reason I'd ever use Pancham over say Timburr, would be for Parting Shot. Parting Shot opens up many oppertunities for setup sweepers. Also why would you use Circle Throw, a negative priority move, on the Choice Scarf set? Other than that, its mostly outclassed by other Fighting-types.

The only reason I'd ever use Pancham over say Timburr, would be for Parting Shot. Parting Shot opens up many oppertunities for setup sweepers. Also why would you use Circle Throw, a negative priority move, on the Choice Scarf set? Other than that, its mostly outclassed by other Fighting-types.
I had no idea that Circle Throw had negative priority. Scratch that, then. Circle Throw should only be used on RestTalk sets if that's the case. The Scarf set can be changed to Storm Throw, Parting Shot, Crunch, and Stone Edge, I guess.

EDIT: Actually, Circle Throw has normal priority, so it's still usable.

Last edited:
Considering that unlike its evolution, Pancham doesn't even get STAB on Crunch, I'd wager that Return or Body Slam might be a better option. Fighting/Normal with Scrappy is actually completely unresisted. Fighting/Dark is resisted by Pokemon like Swirlix and Croagunk. I've never actually played Little Cup, but this seems obvious to me.

Goddess Briyella

Banned deucer.
Anything Pancham can do offensively or defensively is blatantly outclassed by Mienfoo, since Mienfoo's access to Drain Punch for recovery and combination of U-turn + Regenerator also assists it with maintaining its health throughout battles. Pancham has no recovery and does not have access to Drain Punch. Parting Shot is the only reason to use Pancham over any other Fighting-type in Little Cup, as it allows opportunities to shift momentum and bring in teammates that can take advantage of the foe's lowered stats by setting up on them with less fear or overwhelming them with power while they can't do much back. Lowered offensive stats will definitely force switches, which can allow teammates the chance to go for that Dragon Dance or Belly Drum without too much to worry about. Unfortunately, Pancham doesn't have the best movepool, so it is rather limited in what it can do, but it can put in work for a team if used properly.

Since Parting Shot is the only reason to use Pancham, its use should be as strategic as possible for serving its purpose, which should be allowing an incoming teammate the advantage of getting a comfortable matchup as well as facing an offensively disadvantaged foe, which applies considerable pressure in many cases. The point is setting your teammate up to do something big, so Pancham's low Speed should be used to its advantage so that its teammate can get in after the opponent's turn without taking damage or disruptive moves. Choice Scarf is fine for a Speed advantage, but it will make the incoming teammate have to take a hit or status move when this can be avoided by Pancham moving last.

Pancham @ Eviolite
EVs: 132 SDef / 100 Def / 140 HP / 100 Atk
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Parting Shot
- Circle Throw
- Shadow Claw
- Stone Edge

This is by far the best Pancham set I can think of. Sassy nature and 0 Speed IVs make sure that Pancham is as slow as possible (8 Speed stat), to better assure that it can bring in its teammate unharmed against even the slowest enemies. The given EV spread and Eviolite provide Pancham with an impressive 25/21/21 bulk, while still allowing enough investment for ample offensive power. Circle Throw can be used with hazards to rack up damage against opposing teams, especially if the opponent switches out during the turn it's used. Crunch is more powerful than Shadow Claw, but Shadow Claw provides more perfect coverage in tandem with Fighting, and also gets a much harder hit on Meditite on the switch-in. Stone Edge punishes Flying-types that think they are safe against Pancham, and also gets a strong super effective hit against the Bug types that wall its Fighting-type STAB.

Yeah, I've tested both of these sets so far with the recommended EV spreads, and he's pretty decent as a Parting Shot pivot. I prefer the Scarf set to the RestTalk set because it can actually do very well in a tight spot. Storm Throw has saved me against Munchlax a few times so far, for one. Mold Breaker is something I didn't think of using before, but you're right. Pancham could be used a bit like Sawk in NU, breaking through Stealth Rock leads with Fighting-type STAB.

Sadly, that might not even be a choice. He's outclassed by Timburr and even Drilbur no matter what he does...
Parting Shot's still a thing, so I haven't lost faith yet.
Circle Throw has -6 priority like Roar and Whirlwind do, making its use with Choice Scarf rather impractical.

Last edited:
Anything Pancham can do offensively or defensively is blatantly outclassed by Mienfoo, since Mienfoo's access to Drain Punch for recovery and combination of U-turn + Regenerator also assists it with maintaining its health throughout battles. Pancham has no recovery and does not have access to Drain Punch. Parting Shot is the only reason to use Pancham over any other Fighting-type in Little Cup, as it allows opportunities to shift momentum and bring in teammates that can take advantage of the foe's lowered stats by setting up on them with less fear or overwhelming them with power while they can't do much back. Lowered offensive stats will definitely force switches, which can allow teammates the chance to go for that Dragon Dance or Belly Drum without too much to worry about. Unfortunately, Pancham doesn't have the best movepool, so it is rather limited in what it can do, but it can put in work for a team if used properly.

Since Parting Shot is the only reason to use Pancham, its use should be as strategic as possible for serving its purpose, which should be allowing an incoming teammate the advantage of getting a comfortable matchup as well as facing an offensively disadvantaged foe, which applies considerable pressure in many cases. The point is setting your teammate up to do something big, so Pancham's low Speed should be used to its advantage so that its teammate can get in after the opponent's turn without taking damage or disruptive moves. Choice Scarf is fine for a Speed advantage, but it will make the incoming teammate have to take a hit or status move when this can be avoided by Pancham moving last.

Pancham @ Eviolite
EVs: 132 SDef / 100 Def / 140 HP / 100 Atk
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Parting Shot
- Circle Throw
- Shadow Claw
- Stone Edge

This is by far the best Pancham set I can think of. Sassy nature and 0 Speed IVs make sure that Pancham is as slow as possible (8 Speed stat), to better assure that it can bring in its teammate unharmed against even the slowest enemies. The given EV spread and Eviolite provide Pancham with an impressive 25/21/21 bulk, while still allowing enough investment for ample offensive power. Circle Throw can be used with hazards to rack up damage against opposing teams, especially if the opponent switches out during the turn it's used. Crunch is more powerful than Shadow Claw, but Shadow Claw provides more perfect coverage in tandem with Fighting, and also gets a much harder hit on Meditite on the switch-in. Stone Edge punishes Flying-types that think they are safe against Pancham, and also gets a strong super effective hit against the Bug types that wall its Fighting-type STAB.

Circle Throw has -6 priority like Roar and Whirlwind do, making its use with Choice Scarf rather impractical.

Yeah, I didn't notice that about Circle Throw when I first looked at Pancham's ability to use it. You're right, that Eviolite set makes a lot more sense for using Pancham as a slow pivot. I was mostly using the Parting Shot + Choice Scarf Combo with teammates that had Intimidate to further lower the offensive stats of something like Meditite, but I understand now how specific a situation that is. It's better to switch out second if you're really trying to get those teammates in.

Anyway, Shadow Claw is better than Crunch offensively in terms of unresisted coverage, but I didn't know that Pancham even got that, weirdly enough. The other moves on your set are ones I did notice and that make a lot of sense to use. Stone Edge is the only vaguely problematic move because of its shaky accuracy, which poses real problems. If this thing got more moves to abuse Iron Fist with, then it would be more logical to use a Choice set with said moves. Oh, well.

chimp

Go Bananas
is an official Team Rateris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Scrappy is nice boon for a Circle Throw user, preventing ghosts from ruining any momentum Pancham has built from phazing, though Shadow Claw would probably be best in that situation anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)