Hobbies OVERWATCH 2 DISCUSSION THREAD

roxie

https://www.youtube.com/@noxiousroxie
is a Tutoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Junker Queen is garbage bro , it feels like a disadvantage going against other tanks. They should definitely buff her damage since they nerfed shout. Shout has even more time compared to the beta and it gives less hp. It feels like I’m playing support and not tank. 425 hp ain’t buying it either

Scarfire

is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion
Ranked as anything but tank doesnt feel great so far. As much as people wanna say individual impact is more important than it was in OW1, every game so far has come down to Tank comp rock-paper-scissors or just skill difference.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Mercy's range of movement feels so stunted and jerky, it's really offputting compared to ow1. It feels like when you GA you're laned into the direction you clicked it and slingshotting feels sluggish, idk how to really describe it but ugh. Superjumping on command makes tighter ones much easier, but overall with the sluggish GAs it just doesn't feel as good as manual superjumps

That's my main complaint so far, the visuals are kinda distracting but that'll just come with time I think.

5v5 feels ok, mistakes are more punishing but that's probably a good thing

deetah

Bright like a diamond
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor
GP & SocMed Lead
Mercy's range of movement feels so stunted and jerky, it's really offputting compared to ow1. It feels like when you GA you're laned into the direction you clicked it and slingshotting feels sluggish, idk how to really describe it but ugh. Superjumping on command makes tighter ones much easier, but overall with the sluggish GAs it just doesn't feel as good as manual superjumps

That's my main complaint so far, the visuals are kinda distracting but that'll just come with time I think.

5v5 feels ok, mistakes are more punishing but that's probably a good thing
I wholeheartedly agree with the visuals being super distracting. I was having quite a few issues playing consistently the first couple of days but I couldn't quite pinpoint what the problem was. Stuff like just losing track of teammates easily and having a lot more trouble with spatial awareness on some maps. But yeah since then I've seen more people in agreement that there's just a lot of visual clutter in the game. Disabling camera and HUD shake seemed to help a little bit at least? Overwatch 1 just felt more defined and polished, but I'm just thinking this will take time to adjust to.

Also as someone who played Mercy quite a bit in Overwatch 1, I've been having some issues with survivability with her in Overwatch 2. She feels a bit more frail but I know nothing like that has changed so maybe it can partially be attributed to her clunky and limited range of movement. I do think the super jump command is a really good addition though. I can pull them off much more consistently.

Scarfire

is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion
Placed my tank and support last night. Both around mid plat which is rough but it seems everyones soft mmr reset put them down roughly 1000sr worth.

Tank felt amazing to play, however very matchup heavy. Tanks like JQ, Ball, and Doom don't really matchup well vs any tank, but do good at disrupting the squishies, which seems to be the trade off of playing them. Very high skill floor to utilize those 3.

Quick note on JQ, concerned about her when Kiriko drops in ranked. Her ult just disappears when Kiriko clicks her ability.

But yeah Dva, Hog, Zarya, Sigma, Rein, Winston, Orisa all feel extremely strong. Tanks are extremely hard to kill in Ow2 and it feels fun to play.

That fun however doesnt extend to dps, a lot of the games feel like they come down to tank gap often. Of course there are still ways to solo carry as dps. Doing well on flankers and ripping away the tanks supports is most reliable so far (sombra is broken abuse her while you can)

Have yet to play support. Might do so when kiriko drops, cba playing the same role as overwatch 1. Boring as hell.

Lucario

A side must always be chosen
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
my-image (36).png

My tier list for all heroes as of current. They are ordered within their roles as how I would rank them within each tier (Roadhog is better than Reinhardt). Some things that are worth noting include:

1. Swap Zarya and Winston, for some reason I couldn't put Zarya above him, the website is weird at times.
2. Roadhog could honestly be in C. He's a giant sponge that is always getting hit and needs constant pocketing. He is exploitable by most other tanks and isn't great at making room for your team. He's probably better on Dive builds tbh.
3. Rework Doomfist, he is trash.
4. Tracer is the sole S tier Damage character. She's always been great and still is. She is able to distract the enemy tank to allow your own tank to push. She also shits on Zenyatta still.
5. Sym feels awful to play. They nerfed her way to much going into Overwatch 2. She needs a lot of buffs, maybe even another rework (Sym 5.0 when?).
6. Kiriko + Lucio is strong af. Kiriko is amazing and likely needs a nerf or 2. She enables so much with her ultimate that basically disables most opposing tanks from keeping their space.
7. Mercy is trash. Her mobility feels awful with the new changes, slingshotting isn't really a thing anymore which is a huge negative. Mercy is only bad because she always has to pocket the tank, but she can't do that because she is super vulnerable.

Overall I still hate 5v5, it is was too reliant on the tanks and the tanks have to be overtuned to be of use.

Scarfire

MPL Champion
View attachment 457800

My tier list for all heroes as of current. They are ordered within their roles as how I would rank them within each tier (Roadhog is better than Reinhardt). Some things that are worth noting include:

1. Swap Zarya and Winston, for some reason I couldn't put Zarya above him, the website is weird at times.
2. Roadhog could honestly be in C. He's a giant sponge that is always getting hit and needs constant pocketing. He is exploitable by most other tanks and isn't great at making room for your team. He's probably better on Dive builds tbh.
3. Rework Doomfist, he is trash.
4. Tracer is the sole S tier Damage character. She's always been great and still is. She is able to distract the enemy tank to allow your own tank to push. She also shits on Zenyatta still.
5. Sym feels awful to play. They nerfed her way to much going into Overwatch 2. She needs a lot of buffs, maybe even another rework (Sym 5.0 when?).
6. Kiriko + Lucio is strong af. Kiriko is amazing and likely needs a nerf or 2. She enables so much with her ultimate that basically disables most opposing tanks from keeping their space.
7. Mercy is trash. Her mobility feels awful with the new changes, slingshotting isn't really a thing anymore which is a huge negative. Mercy is only bad because she always has to pocket the tank, but she can't do that because she is super vulnerable.

Overall I still hate 5v5, it is was too reliant on the tanks and the tanks have to be overtuned to be of use.
Agree with a lot, disagree with a lot as well. Sombra and McCree placing mainly. Cass is extremely poor for current meta, slow and not as strong at damage dishing as other hitscan or flankers. Whereas sombra is insanely broken and could use a hard nerf.

Genji in S, over Tracer even. Torb B just because of his strength vs genji tracer sombra.

Agree with tank and support placements, dva do be goat

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Mercy's Guardian Angel changes actually allow her to have some pretty busted movement in the right hands, as shown in this clip.
She is unfortunately still the worst support hero in the game currently, though.
Idk, that whole contest is probably more attributed to her passive and her Ana making most her shots lol, I will admit midair GAs feel a bit better and backwards GAs are much easier to pull off, but you can see in that clip how robotic and stiff her movement is

deetah

Bright like a diamond
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor
GP & SocMed Lead
1665348149959.png

Mine with all the heroes currently as of release.

- D.VA is the best tank in the game, with Roadhog not too far behind. Less shields and the slight increase in health gained from his take a breather make him very hard to kill and a potent threat able to one shot most squishies.
- Genji is the best DPS in the game. The new DPS passive benefits him a LOT and with Kiriko he's absolutely phenomenal. Sombra is also broken. The ability cooldown from hack now being only one second doesn't even matter just because of how much damage she's able to output during the duration of the hack.
- Cassidy is sadly not nearly as good anymore, his kit revolved a lot around his stun from his flashbang and dealing with flankers in an anti-dive comp but he's no longer good at that anymore. He's in quite an awkward spot now. Magnetic grenade just feels like a shitty ability overall honestly.

Lucario

is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Do Not play ranked on sunday
Why?

To not be a one line fool, I wanna rant about how terrible Mercy is. Mercy is dogshit. She is essentially the support version of Torb/Bastion/Sym back in 2016/2017. The hero you would pick because you are throwing. Rez isn't as valuable anymore because it's harder to pull one off. Her heals are kind of bad, at least Zen can do damage while he uses his single-target heal ability. OW2 forces games to be more fast-paced, but Mercy's passive nature is a giant mountain in front of the objective. She needs a rework, maybe something along the lines of how she was when she was first reworked a few years ago. Her heals were higher, she was faster, her ult was a little better, and she could rez more.

Scarfire

MPL Champion
Why?

To not be a one line fool, I wanna rant about how terrible Mercy is. Mercy is dogshit. She is essentially the support version of Torb/Bastion/Sym back in 2016/2017. The hero you would pick because you are throwing. Rez isn't as valuable anymore because it's harder to pull one off. Her heals are kind of bad, at least Zen can do damage while he uses his single-target heal ability. OW2 forces games to be more fast-paced, but Mercy's passive nature is a giant mountain in front of the objective. She needs a rework, maybe something along the lines of how she was when she was first reworked a few years ago. Her heals were higher, she was faster, her ult was a little better, and she could rez more.
Lots of weekend-only players who aren't always super hot + lots of children.

To add on, yeah mercy sucks. Her role as pocket is unchanged, but the pocket-strong heroes like ashe/pharah/echo aren't the demons they were in OW1 (I do wanna talk about Echo, I've seen her very little + no one rly talk about her). She needs some form of utility that isn't rez. Rez never fit into a game like overwatch anyways, and if there is a time to remove it for something new, it would be now.

Lucario

She needs some form of utility that isn't rez. Rez never fit into a game like overwatch anyways, and if there is a time to remove it for something new, it would be now.
I think what they could do is swap her Ultimate, Valkyrie, with Resurrection. This isn't anything new as they have swapped a hero's ultimate around before, notable Symettra and Torbjorn (and Mercy too lol). Valkyrie as a regular ability would be on a long cooldown (say 20-30 seconds) and would only last like 7 seconds. While writing this, I have also decided it would be best for Valkyrie to replace her Guardian Angel ability. A new ability that is fitting for Mercy is similar to Lucio's Amplify ability where her healing per second would increase for a short duration. Or, alternatively, give her a healing grenade like Ana's but instead of being instant heals (and debuff) it would be sort of like Soldier's healing ability. She could throw the healing grenade and it would leave a pool of heals for her teammates, this way she could heal more than one target at a time. As for Resurrection as her ultimate, they could make it like it was pre-Mercy 2.0 but also have the draw time current Resurrection has (but maybe a little faster).

As for Echo, I have not seen much of her yet. She excelled at hitting the tanks + shields really well but there aren't many shields anymore. I think she is still pretty viable because she does well vs. the 2 best tanks (Dva and Sigma). I think the only reason she may not be seeing much use is because everyone is coming back to OW and want to play the (somewhat) new Sojourn or their ol' reliable Genji. Soldier and Sojourn's viability and usage also doesn't help her, but it doesn't make her terrible.

Astra

talk to me nice
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
After some grinding, I managed to hit Masters 5 on support, which is around the range of what I was before the transfer from Overwatch 1. I also managed to get the starting flex support on my colleges D2 Overwatch 2 team, so I'm very excited about that! Anyways, after a good amount of experience with all of the support heroes, I feel decently confident on my tier list of all of them.

EDIT: Baptiste can probably be A now that I think about it. Immortality Field will be Immortality Field and his ultimate is very strong at securing and turning fights with how fast he can charge it up.

my-image (2).png

Lucio is incredibly important to most compositions with how valuable speed boosts are now in Overwatch 2. His survivability compared to the rest of the support roster is noticeably better with his amazing movement options alongside a knockback ability on a very short cooldown. His ability to peel reliably for the other support is integral to his viability as well. This is all without mentioning Sound Barrier, too, which on top of already being a great ultimate got two nice buffs; its cost was reduced by 12%, and as an indirect buff, it provides overhealth now instead of temporary shields, which grants half of the charge that regular health would grant.

On teams that Lucio may not be considered needed, Zenyatta, while not necessarily required, is an very strong pick mostly thanks to how powerful Discord Orb is, especially now that there's only one tank. He's a great pick on compositions where the main goal is to poke them down rather than rush or dive them, though his main bane is how vulnerable he can be due to his wide hitbox and lack of movement. Snap Kick helps a bit with that weakness, but he's still decently prone to most heroes that are currently meta like Genji and Sojourn, but his strong kit makes up for it.

Kiriko, while isn't available in ranked yet, feels like she'll be a very strong pick in competitive play. Her self-sustainability and movement is great with Swift Step, and as the only hero with a cleanse ability, she'll become a nightmare against heroes like Junker Queen and Ana. Her ultimate is one of the strongest ones in the game as well with how much value you and your teammates can get out of it. That being said, though, it's difficult to get maximum value out of her due to her difficult playstyle to master, especially how precise you'd need to be with her Kunai and her below average healing output. That being said, Kiriko is a strong contender for one of the best supports in the game with her high potential.

Ana quite literally has two of the strongest abilities in the game in Sleep Dart and Bionic Grenade, both being able to greatly turn a fight when used properly. Nano Boost is also very reliable in securing fights; especially in Overwatch 2, you oftentimes don't even need to combo it with another ultimate to win fights depending on the circumstances. Her main drawback is how vulnerable she is as a target, and while her abilities can help against rushes and dives, forcing them on cooldown often opens up big opportunities for the enemy team to capitalize on it and win the fight. The fact she can only provide single-target healing, while still has a strong output, can sometimes be troublesome on certain compositions.

Baptiste can be a strong pick on compositions that tend to stay more grouped up thanks to is good group healing ability. Immortality Field also is still a strong ability in Overwatch 2, and his ultimate is very flexible in how you can use it, whether it be to initiate a fight aggressively or to use for yourself to increase your healing output in a pinch. With how long of a cooldown Immortality Field has, though, Baptiste can have some trouble when the enemy team is hard focusing one of your teammates once it's forced on cooldown, since his single-target healing is not exactly the fastest.

Moira has the strongest group healing in the game and one of the best self-sustainable heroes in the support roster, but when it comes to a need for utility, most support heroes are a better option than her. Her healing resources can oftentimes run out quickly under a lot of pressure from the enemy as well, so that becomes a major weakness for her. Regardless, her shear healing output still makes her a decent pick on teams whose goal is to rush in and win the fight as fast as possible.

Brigette can be a good pick for compositions that would want to stay grouped up as well thanks to Inspire, and her Repair Packs prove useful especially for teammates like Genji and Tracer that enjoy the passive healing while dismantling the enemy. Whip Shot and Shield Bash are also great for chasing down enemies and peeling for your teammates. However, it's very easy to overwhelm her now, since her passive healing isn't quite the strongest against burst damage and she lost her very reliable stun, and her ultimate got quite nerfed now that it provides overhealth instead of armor now.

Mercy is definitely the worst support hero by a decent amount. Her kit is very hard to get value out of reliably when better options are available. Her lack of self-defense without completely forgoing why she was picked in the first place is also a great bane. It honestly feels like that for her to get the most out of her utility, her teammates have to pour in their own resources that could be using elsewhere. I wouldn't call her a massive throw pick like how Doomfist is currently, but I just feel like she's very weak now compared to rest of the support cast, especially how the playstyle and pace of Overwatch 2 honestly goes against her somewhat.

Last edited:
I don't think Zenyatta is busted. In fact, I think Zenyatta is quite fair, because your hitbox is literally 1 Tracer spread away from dying.

However playing solo tank against Zenyatta is the equivalent of being a single parent to 4 kids yet still being screwed over by the government/society as if you weren't married at all.

Scarfire

MPL Champion
Was bored and thinking of buffs and nerfs. My own minor patch if you will.

Dva Zarya Genji Sojourn Sombra all need nerds. Tiny tweaks or hard hits.

Dva could use either less damage or less armour. The instant she looks at a squishie theirnfate is sealed and pealing against it with stuff like sleeps and stuns like you would vs a roadhog isnt easy due to matrix.

Zarya both could use longer bubble cooldownsnand longer delay between bubbles to the same target.

Genji should lose one of the two benefits of the dps role passive. Either the reload or the speed.

Sojourn needs a LOT bigger of a charge meter. Make her have to do like the double the damage she currently has to in order to get the one shot railgun bullet.

Sombra shouldnt be able to hack while invisible at all, and maybe lower the 40% damage taken boost to hack targets and instead increase sombras own damage. Keeps her a strong 1v1 dps without turning tanks into focus fire fodder.

As for buffs its difficult. Id only really touch doomfist and mercy. Mercys playstyle is hard to justify in OW2 so I can only really say rework. As for Doom

Dooms seismic slam should stagger targets a bit more, and maybe increase the radius of the slow-down effect from his ult. Turn it into a baby earthshatter in a way.

Also make power block block cc abilities jfc

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor
hey guys i dunno if I should get this game i have never played over watch before and a lot of my college friends are getting back into it but i suck at fps games

…jokes aside, it would admittedly be nice to play something new with the guys, but I don’t know if it’s something I’d be interested in putting in the time to practice. If there’s one thing I traditionally hate about FPS titles, it’s that they have a tendency to give a horrible first impression. More importantly, I don’t like the idea of having to make a decision on which characters to play. (Shoutouts to when my high school buddies wanted me to play Apex and I picked a main for the sole purpose of this character supposedly having something in common with me.)

deetah

Bright like a diamond
GP & SocMed Lead
Was bored and thinking of buffs and nerfs. My own minor patch if you will.

Dva Zarya Genji Sojourn Sombra all need nerds. Tiny tweaks or hard hits.

Dva could use either less damage or less armour. The instant she looks at a squishie theirnfate is sealed and pealing against it with stuff like sleeps and stuns like you would vs a roadhog isnt easy due to matrix.

Zarya both could use longer bubble cooldownsnand longer delay between bubbles to the same target.

Genji should lose one of the two benefits of the dps role passive. Either the reload or the speed.

Sojourn needs a LOT bigger of a charge meter. Make her have to do like the double the damage she currently has to in order to get the one shot railgun bullet.

Sombra shouldnt be able to hack while invisible at all, and maybe lower the 40% damage taken boost to hack targets and instead increase sombras own damage. Keeps her a strong 1v1 dps without turning tanks into focus fire fodder.

As for buffs its difficult. Id only really touch doomfist and mercy. Mercys playstyle is hard to justify in OW2 so I can only really say rework. As for Doom

Dooms seismic slam should stagger targets a bit more, and maybe increase the radius of the slow-down effect from his ult. Turn it into a baby earthshatter in a way.

Also make power block block cc abilities jfc
I agree with pretty much everything you've outlined here. Looking at my original release tierlist now, I'd rank both Zarya and Orisa at least a full tier higher. Zarya is absolutely obnoxious to play against at any level. All she needs to do is bubble herself twice to reach like 80 energy instantly and then wait a few seconds to get her bubble back, walk in, and beam down a squishie. Nothing the opposing tank can even do when this is happening.

Genji's overall kit is perfectly fine but the DPS passive just makes him insane; I think the passive itself is what needs to be looked at.

Sojourn is an issue especially at higher ranks. She can 1v5 quite easily.

Sombra is an obnoxious little shit and as a tank main I hate playing against her.

Scarfire

MPL Champion
I agree with pretty much everything you've outlined here. Looking at my original release tierlist now, I'd rank both Zarya and Orisa at least a full tier higher. Zarya is absolutely obnoxious to play against at any level. All she needs to do is bubble herself twice to reach like 80 energy instantly and then wait a few seconds to get her bubble back, walk in, and beam down a squishie. Nothing the opposing tank can even do when this is happening.

Genji's overall kit is perfectly fine but the DPS passive just makes him insane; I think the passive itself is what needs to be looked at.

Sojourn is an issue especially at higher ranks. She can 1v5 quite easily.

Sombra is an obnoxious little shit and as a tank main I hate playing against her.
Yeah sums up my thoughts. A recent patch-leak screenshot has been going around and im concerned about it.

Deciding to completely kill Genji but micronerf the rest and leave sojourn as is feels bizarre to me. I obviously have some bias as a genji main but its still ass that they let other heroes be broken for upwards of a year but both times genji has been top tier he lasts 2 weeks max before being sent back to the depths of hell.

Attachments

Astra

talk to me nice
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
That was debunked by the person who made it themselves because people were actually believing it. The main topic in the community is that they don't like how they said that they're looking to nerf Genji but not even mentioning touching Sojourn at all, so that was just to add fuel to fire (and it seemed like it worked browsing Twitter today).

Also, Bastion has been out of the game more than he's been in it since Overwatch 2 launched. Imagine how quick they'd be if it was a hero more people cared about...

Scarfire

MPL Champion
That was debunked by the person who made it themselves because people were actually believing it. The main topic in the community is that they don't like how they said that they're looking to nerf Genji but not even mentioning touching Sojourn at all, so that was just to add fuel to fire (and it seemed like it worked browsing Twitter today).

Also, Bastion has been out of the game more than he's been in it since Overwatch 2 launched. Imagine how quick they'd be if it was a hero more people cared about...
best part is even with that bug bastion was absolute shit. might as well leave it in

PenQuin

!dice 100
is a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
So they are nerfing Genji, Sombra, Zarya, Dva. All 4 of those make sense to me, but they still arent nerfing moira?? Literally every single game supp game i play i get killed in 2 seconds by the enemy dps moira. This game is absolutely killing me... Doubt i'll finish the battle pass if they dont do something about the game. I was originally played Shield Tank, but queue time is absolute garbage. Then i get forced into support role. Amazing

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)