Project OU Player Interview: #1: FlamingVictini

Status
Not open for further replies.
sBbyOTP.png

(banner pending™)
Welcome to the SS OU Player Interviews! The aim of the project is to feature conversations with some of the biggest names in the tier to try to learn more about them.

==========

fv.gif

FlamingVictini

Favourite Pokemon: Victini
Most used Pokemon (outside of Clefable): Dragapult
Most known for: Winning OST!, Managing the Scooters
1589953987853.png

hey fv, how are you?

1589951672423.png

doing well man, finished school the same weekend as OST so i'm just enjoying these few weeks of break before i get back to things. hbu?

1589953987853.png

i'm going great, thanks for asking!
how has the quarantine been for you?

1589951672423.png

bit weird honestly, i mean definitely the whole situation sucks for everyone. personally, not being at college with my friends really sucks. but, on a day-to-day basis, i've been doing ok with quarantine and just trudging along

1589953987853.png

yeah it's definitely been hard on us all, but im glad to see you're still doing well man
so you're known for winning the latest ost and being a long time tour player, but i don't think a lot of us know much about you, mind telling us a bit about yourself and a bit about what you've been doing during the quarantine?

1589951672423.png

so i'm in my second year of college, studying math and computer science. I'm definitely a bit of a nerd! I find artificial intelligence really interesting and am hoping to pursue research in the field. Gaming-wise, i've always been a core pokemon fan. I started getting interested in competitive mons from watching youtube in middle school, mostly joey and also blunder. I didn't play too much on showdown then, i'd say my roots are actually in pokebattler around 2013-2014, where I would ladder a lot and basically learned how to play. I also met a lot of my amazing friends on smogon there, like philip7086, stone_cold, and ABR. In 2014 smogon started OLT, and that's where I made the transition to smogon and have been playing tournaments since.

during quarantine i've mostly just been busy with school, which I just wrapped up last week. I've also been playing lots of games online with my dorm-mates. I'm a huge fan of board games, and we've been going hard on Catan. I've also never really played any first person shooters (before quarantine, at least), but now i'm addicted to krunker.io even though my mac can't handle it

1589953987853.png

oh wow ok that sounds really cool, wish i could've tried that myself but idt i'd have any idea how to work anything like that lmao
but damn you've been around for a lot longer than I've thought lol
what do you think has kept you around for this long?

1589951672423.png

definitely the community. around my senior year of high school I started taking a big step back from mons, playing the tournament circuit year-round and taking it seriously can be quite draining. But I've made so many awesome friends here, I find it really hard to just quit the game completely like that. In recent years i've definitely gone several months at a time without thinking about mons, though. I'm usually most active around the times for SPL and WCoP as I love the team tours the most.

1589953987853.png

yeah it's definitely hard to stop when there's so many fun people around
now speaking of tours, you've obviously just won OST
could you tell me a bit more about your run?

1589951672423.png

yeah absolutely

so the way i've been approaching pretty much every tour the past few years, and especially large, long ones like OST, is to just play out the first few rounds with 0 investment in the tour whatsoever. Especially since i play way less than I used to, I find it far easier time-wise and mentally to just take a few teams I know well and spam them early on. I believe it takes a combination of good luck (which includes the absence of bad luck!) and skill to win any of these big individual tours. I have the same approach for something like Smogon Classic, where imo playing 5 cups is just way too much without such a laid-back approach. This is mostly why I tend to be a bit secretive with my teams / replays, as I want to avoid getting counter teamed. think around when I was matched with Sacri in top 32 was when I started to take things more seriously. Though this also meant that because i was now more invested in the tour, it had a greater mental affect/stress on me.

i've been playing these tours for long enough that once i'm in the moment, i'll be completely fine, but buildups to game-time can be nerve wracking. Towards the later rounds, i'd completely lose my appetite a few hrs before game, for example

anyway, because of school i'd usually schedule for the weekend, and prepare the night before. As I alluded in my finals win post, this was basically just me and TPP playing until the wee hours as I made a new team and tweaked it and learned how to play it. I think at this point we were both still in but TPP got knocked out just before top 16, but with this process I usually was not able to produce more than one good, solid team that I was happy and comfortable with. So, I actually repeated teams in all of my series from top 32 till semifinals when they went to 3 games

when I started learning SS during SPL it was mostly during the home metagame, and the teams I had made were either dugtrio balances or hyper offense, so for top 16 and 32 I used dugtrio quite frequently, and the one new team I had made for that round. After dugtrio was banned I needed to completely revamp what I was using, so I edited that hyper offense build and started bringing that along with my one new team

I think probably vs BDLC is where I branched out the most in my style, with the chandelure xatu dugtrio team which I quite liked, and had a strong mu vs things I were noticing people liked to bring vs me.

i think that and perhaps primarina vs insult is where I had my strongest team matachups. But usually I didn't focus too much on mu personally. Part of my process was becoming intimately familiar with playing the teams I was using. This is why I'd feel so much more confident about re-bringing teams in a series, since I felt like I could always outplay out of a tougher mu, and I had immense trust in each of the teams I was using

reaching finals sort of crept up on me, as I just kept following this process (honestly, much of my routine throughout this tour became a bit of a superstition for me) and eventually I had won enough to get to finals lol

then there was one night where some ideas hit me and I built two of the teams I used, and I perfected those and made my last team the day before, as per usual. from there it was just playing my best and hoping for the best

while I love teambuilding, I feel like i'm quite lazy in my prep, and especially in the past few years tournaments tend to burn me out. I had always wanted to win an individual like most do, but after years of reaching playoffs and losing motivation at the most important moments, I sometimes felt like maybe I just didn't have the work ethic to take one to the finish, so this tour was a really welcome surprise for me, and I guess I got a bit lucky that things just worked out and I was able to play well enough

sorry for the wall of text haha

1589953987853.png

nah don't fret about it this is perfect
but damn this is honestly a pretty amazing way to look at tours
like im pretty sure im lumped in with the majority of the site and absolutely overthink the earlier rounds so it's definitely really great to see another strong perspective
now i guess i've got to ask
what do you think about the current meta?

1589951672423.png

i like it tbh
idk it just sort of clicks for me
i think the level of centralization rn is healthy
i'm a bit of an aggro player and I feel like there are plenty of tools for me to take on most of the meta, while still having a lot of good supportive pieces to round my teams out

1589953987853.png

hmm yeah i def agree with this
but what would you say are some of your favourites to use and what to you absolutely hate seeing people use
if that makes any sense

1589951672423.png

yeah absolutely
i was just gonna say, along that note i absolutely love cm clef
and personally don't use teleclef much
i brought one in g1 of finals and that was the game i lost

thats p much the only time i've touched teleclef
i think this is mostly just a style thing honestly, like I said i'm a bit aggro, and I found I had a really hard time using, or trying to build teams that use mons like teleclef or hippowdon or toxapex or w/e
i like things that are wincons in themselves, or enable the other other wincons on my team. and teleclef definitely does that more than most defensive mons, but i just find it exerts very little direct pressure and had a hard time loving it
i think ppl are under-prepped for cm clef
and cm prim is another mon in a similar vein that is getting some traction now but is underrated
i love things that just rip apart standard defensive cores without falling over to common glue mons

1589953987853.png

yeah it's kinda wild to think that people aren't using as many wincons anymore
especially after the home meta
but what do you think of the general balanced based meta? I know you said the centralisation was healthy but i think a lot of people have started to notice that people are just playing too safe and relying too heavily on wish clef, what do you think about that?

1589951672423.png

i actually considered mncmt to be the toughest person i could face in finals, because I thought he was the most aggressive player who also didn't lean too heavily on wishclef, and I felt his understanding of the meta was really good
well i definitely can say it was great watching two really offensive players going at it in the finals
but on that note, do you think you could share a team that you've loved using throughout the run and just give a word or two explaining it for the masses?
yeah so this is what i used in g2

(click for import)

this wasn't the team I was most excited by at first, it was initially based around jirachi though in the end I felt like i thought mew and togekiss were better threats. But I still really like the set I came up with, and I think the overall synergy on the team in terms of wincons is fantastic
bu corvi and cm clef are my 'defensive' wincons
and salazzle helps me keep pressure on teleclef, adds some speed, and allows to me enable these two and even zeraora by spreading toxic on things like toxapex, rotom-h, and hippo. it itself is a win-con too with nasty plot
jirachi often draws out and weakens things like rotom-h or aegislash, and also helps me get rid of ferrothorn early to compensate for my lack of hazard removal for spikes
the sitrus berry and bulk is for living shadow claw + sneak from jolly sd aegi all the time, and most of the time from ada
and rocky helmet with kommo allows me to get crucial chip on things like CB aegi and dracovish, with the fast draco meteor to hit things like ada CB vish, and cover things like rotom-h + dragapult in one slot (status + volt switch shenanigans can be annoying)
its definitely a very offensive team and doesn't have perfect defensive coverage vs things like ghosts, but I think because there are so many wincons that support each other, pretty much any game is winnable if played well. and I think the rocky helmet kommo tech is really good and deserves to see more widespread use

1589953987853.png

ooo this is a really cool team, thanks for sharing this
hmm i guess is there anything else you'd like to say for the people reading this?

1589951672423.png

not really
i think that p much covers it

1589953987853.png

well thanks for the time man

1589951672423.png

thanks for interviewing me!

==========

Feel free to ask FV any questions! If anyone has any recommendations, feel free to PM me on discord @ curiosity#2758.​

Ruft

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Leader
Hey FV, amazing OST run you've had!
I'm a big fan of your creativity in the builder, so I have a question about something I've noticed about it. While a lot of people are inclined to use one of Defog Corviknight, Mandibuzz or Excadrill on the vast majority of their balance teams for reliable hazard removal, I noticed that you are less strict in doing so; for instance in your builds here (which you displayed above) and here, there is no member on your team that can remove hazards. Would you say your aggressive playstyle lends itself to this? Do you perhaps think Defog Corviknight and Mandibuzz are a bit too passive to your liking? Perhaps you feel your matchup against hazard spam is fine thanks to the presence of a Poison-type that can absorb Toxic Spikes and a Fire-type (and Jirachi as you've mentioned) that can threaten Ferrothorn on each of these builds? I would love to hear your insight on this (if you're willing to share it of course).

Hey FV, amazing OST run you've had!
I'm a big fan of your creativity in the builder, so I have a question about something I've noticed about it. While a lot of people are inclined to use one of Defog Corviknight, Mandibuzz or Excadrill on the vast majority of their balance teams for reliable hazard removal, I noticed that you are less strict in doing so; for instance in your builds here (which you displayed above) and here, there is no member on your team that can remove hazards. Would you say your aggressive playstyle lends itself to this? Do you perhaps think Defog Corviknight and Mandibuzz are a bit too passive to your liking? Perhaps you feel your matchup against hazard spam is fine thanks to the presence of a Poison-type that can absorb Toxic Spikes and a Fire-type (and Jirachi as you've mentioned) that can threaten Ferrothorn on each of these builds? I would love to hear your insight on this (if you're willing to share it of course).
I'm actually less stricts on hazard in general in SS. I actually don't even think stealth rocks are mandatory, especially on hyper offense (like my cinderace togekiss team, where I elected to use dragon tail rhyperior for hippowdon over rocks). A big reason for this is heavy-duty boots. I see stealth rocks as an offensive tool to get crucial chip for matchups later down the road, and obviously the 12.5% on a lot of stuff really helps. However, frequently hdb and leftovers with either negate or nullify this chip, so its far less effective than in previous gens. So usually when I think about hazards, I tend to focus more on spikes/tspikes. I won't drop removal on teams that don't have alternative ways to combat those.

For the Prim team, part of the strategy was to beat toxapex via spikes, knock off, and burn, which allows prim to win the 1v1 by pp-stalling recover, since the toxapex can't freely switch in and out for regenerator due to spikes damage. By having my own spikes I have a bit more freedom in terms of removal by forcing my opponent to defog for me. Gengar is key to absorb toxic spikes for primarina. Otherwise, much my team is largely unaffacted by rocks thanks to HDB on rotom, but generally stopping an opposing ferrothorn from laying spikes up early if excadrill is present is a key component to my game-plan. I could have elected to run defog on rotom here or even pain split, but I found having nasty plot to pressure clefable and sand teams in general among other things was more useful.

For the jirachi team, again I have tspikes removal in salazzle and rocks really aren't a worry thanks to HDB. They will be present but rarely so game-altering that I need to spend time defogging. Spikes definitely are annoying, that's why the team is built to make it hard for ferrothorn to gain free turns. Early game play is largely dominated by kommo-o / clef / jirachi, which all pressure ferro to not have time to spike up. Corvi could've been a basic defog set here, but imo BU is far more useful as a very threatening late-game wincon, and often excels vs spikes teams with salazzle support anyway.

My aggressive playstyle definitely plays a factor into how I approach this, but it also depends on the team and strategy as to whether I deem hazard removal mandatory. I don't think hazard removal is bad by any means, its just more of a team-by-team judgement call for me.

what pokemon do you want to enter the meta via dlc and why?
what pokemon do you think is underrated and deserves to have more usage?
how do you like your steak cooked?
I'm gonna take a cop-out on this and say I honestly don't know, I like the meta as is. I think magnezone will be very meta-changing.
Snorlax, maybe. I think prim and salazzle have been seeing the uptick in usage they deserve.
I'm vegetarian :p.

FV I been checking your youtube daily since u said u were gonna do a video on your ost win. I'm hoping you still plan on doing that video
Ruft linked my video on the finals, I intend to make vids for semis and quarters as well just haven't gotten around to it.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Outside of liking your entire team to be potential win conditions, is there anything in particular that makes you prefer a more aggressive team/style of play?

And is there a general thought process you use when designing the “defensive” aspects of your teams? At what point do you decide what you have is good enough, and how does that affect your game plan?

Speaking as a generally fairly defensive player who is also broadly very happy with the meta as-is (outside of Dracovish), I find it really interesting to hear from people who just perceive the game as a different beast to me hahaha. Also 100% echoing the fondness for bulky wincons !!!

Outside of liking your entire team to be potential win conditions, is there anything in particular that makes you prefer a more aggressive team/style of play?

And is there a general thought process you use when designing the “defensive” aspects of your teams? At what point do you decide what you have is good enough, and how does that affect your game plan?

Speaking as a generally fairly defensive player who is also broadly very happy with the meta as-is (outside of Dracovish), I find it really interesting to hear from people who just perceive the game as a different beast to me hahaha. Also 100% echoing the fondness for bulky wincons !!!
I just get bored in slower games where I feel like i'm making very little progress towards winning, and am just stopping my opponent from winning. Not that I don't play these slow slugfests here and there, but it's just way less fun, and I think offense works quite well in SS.

I try to keep my teams largely defensively sound, as I hate losing to things outright on team preview. But I also always consider how my offense provides a 'defensive' component to my team. Sometimes the best way to beat something dangerous is to just win first yourself. Also, I want my defensive pieces to be facilitating my offense as well. This can be via momentum, or by crippling moves like knock off / status, or more offensive techs. For example, I ran things like rocky helmet kommo-o and corviknight to get chip on aegislash to support my cm lo clefable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)