Project OU Next Best Thing - Cycle Last: Mega Latias (Voting)

Electrium
I've run KyuB w/ Electrium Z and 252 Atk/4 SpA and just used Bolt/Beam coverage and sub/roost to great effect. I think Electrium is an under-explored option on KyuB, especially under Electric Terrain and with Volt-Turn.

PsyducksChili

Banned deucer.
when does voting for this end? wasn’t this supposed to end earlier? i don’t wanna be the guy to say it’s already over, since it’s really close, but i think the og day it was supposed to end on was oct 24? im not quite sure. just tryna get info

Egor

нет, товарищ генерал, это вы даёте
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
RoAPL Champion
:sm/kyurem-black:

Guys, thousand apologies for my inactivity again :( But ok, I'm here and I'm going to finally end the Cycle 20! By the results of the voting, this Cycle's winner is Physical Z-Hail by PsyducksChili . Congratulations! Your submission will be added to the Hall of Fame soon. And now that the Gen 7 era is very close to its end, I am officially announcing the Last Cycle of the USM Next Best Thing! Let's have a great final of this generation!

Cycle Last - Mega Latias
:sm/latias-mega:

Mega Latias's sheer bulk, typing, and movepool make it amazing glue Pokémon for a ton of teams: it provides a sturdy check to Ground-types like Garchomp and Gliscor as well as to other prominent stuff like Kartana and Heatran, it supports its team via various ways like Thunder Wave, Wish, and occasionally even Defog, it also can be a threatening win condition thanks to Calm Mind. Overall, Mega Latios is very solid Pokémon in the metagame; what hot sets can you guys show here?

Banned Sets
:latiasite:

You are allowed to post sets only for the Mega forme. The deadline is Wednesday 13th of November. Good luck!​

Katy

Banned deucer.
CM + 2 Attacks

:sm/Latias-Mega:
Latias-Mega (F) @ Latiasite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Roost
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam

Typical BoltBeam Coverage which works well against a lot of Pokémon and with a Calm Mind up it does a hefty damage to anything. Thunderbolt hits Heatran neutrally whereas Ice Beam is still here to hit ground-type Pokémon and oppposing dragon-types. Roost is for the necessary longevity and keeps Mega-Latias healthy throughout the game.​

Last edited:

PsyducksChili

Banned deucer.
Sup. Glad to have won the Kyu-B session :) Thanks to anyone that voted for my terrible set lmao.

2B58E093-DFD0-4DFB-A919-AC722829305C.png

Latias-Mega @ Latiasite
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Psyshock

- Ice Beam

This sets looks pretty fun. Wish helps it support teammates that lack recovery, like Seismitoad, Heatran, Kommo-o, Ditto, Ferrothorn, or Magearna, and gives it a decent recovery move. Protect lets it scout for moves on certain Pokèmon, and Ice Beam and Psyshock are a pretty good source of damage. Roost would normally be better, but this is mostly good on BO squads with members that check important mons, but lack a reliable recovery. I think this set is worth a nom.

Defog Mega Latias

EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Recover
- Ice Beam
- Surf

General idea
This is a defensively inclined Mega Latias with the great move Defog under its belt.
I think that here Defog can be a great addition because we have both Levitate (to avoid being damaged by Spikes) and Recover to regain health with relative ease. Also, the Megastone + HP EVs allows Latias to stamoch Knock Off with relative ease, for further longevity.
Ice Beam + Surf are here to get rid of some hazard users such as Landorus-T, Gliscor, Garchomp and to deal properly with Heatran. Unluckily, it suffers a lot from 4MMS.

EVs spread
248 HP Evs are here to reach odd HP, in order to take one more SR's damage upon entering into the field; max Spe + boosting nature in order to be fast. The remaining EVs.

Last edited:
Refresh + Calm Mind Stall Breaker Lati

Latias @ Latiasite
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
Psychic.png
- Calm Mind
Flying.png
- Roost
Psychic.png
- Stored Power
normal.png
- Refresh

With stored power you break past unaware and with refresh you can ignore status from the likes of chansey. This only works with t-spike support tho since this lati can't touch dark types, it also can't reliably beat certain threats on stall so other breakers are still necessary. For example setting up on pex is impossible which matters a lot since it can absorb the more or less mandatory t-spikes so something like nihilego that can get them up reliably and beat pex is pretty much required for this lati to function.

Sry in advance if this one's too similar to the banned sets but this rly is the only set i've been using for the most part. Also don't see many other ways to innovate this mon tbh.

Offensive Grass Knot

latias-mega.png

EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Roost
- Grass Knot
- Hidden Power [Fire] / Ice Beam
- Draco Meteor / Psychic

What is dislike the most about Latias is how helpless it is vs Tyranitar, specially vs the banded set. It can easily hard switch and just get rid of her most of the time. I think i'm not the only one who has changed bulky Latias for offensive EQ Latios because of that, even tho Latias' bulk is just so good to have. Offensive Latias aims to help dismantling teams and checking stuff, while enjoying a better stat distribution than Latios (bulk + SpA), and being able to prevent trapping from non-AV Ttar.

Grass Knot always 2HKOs banded Ttar and, unlike Mega Latios's EQ it can most likely 2HKO Mega Ttar after rocks, and always if it switches first in non-mega form. It is also cool to lure Gastro and check Mega Pert. Since Latias can't avoid being walled by something, the last two attacks adapt to your team. Fully invested STAB attacks are pretty powerfull: Draco straight one shots offensive threats like Medi, Gren or Kyurems. Psychic is more consistent and keeps Pex at bay. Ice Beam to better deal with grounds, HP fire for Ferro and Scizor or maybe something like Surf or Thunder.

252 SpA Latias-Mega Grass Knot (120 BP) vs. 40 HP / 48 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 176-208 (50.1 - 59.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Latias-Mega Grass Knot (120 BP) vs. 168 HP / 0 SpD Tyranitar-Mega in Sand: 158-188 (41.2 - 49%) -- 78.5% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Latias-Mega Grass Knot (60 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Gastrodon: 228-272 (53.6 - 64%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Latias-Mega Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Medicham-Mega: 256-303 (98 - 116%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO

Last edited:

Egor

is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
RoAPL Champion
ithrowrocksatkids Thunder Wave + 2 attacks is a banned set. To see the banlist of this Cycle, click on the Latiasite icon (under Banned Sets) in this Cycle's OP.

substitute CM

EVs: 240 HP / 92 Def / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Stored Power
- Substitute
- Roost

Leech seed and toxic more-or-less shut down CM latias, so this set fixes that with substitute. You can safely set up sub on gliscor, heatran, rotom-wash, opposing latias, SP.Def Kommo-o, and helmet tang to dodge various statuses. The EVs ensure that SD gliscor's facade and tangrowth's knock off cant break sub and that you outspeed base 100's like Charizard-x. Chansey, celesteela, clefable, and ferrothorn can all break your sub and still threaten you with status, though ferro is a special case because you can pp stall gyro ball if you predict right and knock off won't break sub. You can usually set up on magic guard clef too as long as you play safe and avoid twave. Substitute also helps greatly against magearna, as you can sub on the z-fleur cannon and/or fleur cannon then set up on it with dropped sp.atk. Always make sure to keep sub up in case of crits, which will ohko even uninvested. Iron head won't break sub either. The same goes for garchomp mega, who can't touch you outside of draco meteor.

Mono psychic isn't great however, and tspikes won't help against ttar or M-Gyarados because you can't stall them out for long enough for poison to kill.

0 Atk Ferrothorn Knock Off vs. 240 HP / 92 Def Latias-Mega: 70-84 (19.3 - 23.2%) -- possible 5HKO

0 Atk Tangrowth Knock Off vs. 240 HP / 92 Def Latias-Mega: 76-90 (21 - 24.9%) -- guaranteed 5HKO

0 Atk Gliscor Facade (140 BP) vs. 240 HP / 92 Def Latias-Mega: 76-90 (21 - 24.9%) -- guaranteed 5HKO

Last edited:
The Trapper Trapper

Latias @ Latiasite
EVs: 248 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
-Roost
-Reflect Type
-Whirlpool
-Ice Beam / Toxic

Alright this here set is some quality garbage. Using it is simple:

Step 1: Whirlpool as your opponent goes into their Ttar or other check.
Step 2: Click Reflect Type.
Step 3: Roost as needed.
Step 4: KO with Ice Beam or Toxic, or PP stall
Step 5: Hit the nae nae while you drink your opponent's tears.

Yeah it traps with Whirlpool and then copies their type so it doesn't die. Unfortunately Latias doesn't learn Block or Mean Look so Whirlpool is the best option. Ice Beam if you want to not be completely passive and check Gliscor / Kart / etc and Toxic if you want to chip things faster and have them take DOT throughout the game instead of only when Mega Lati is in.

Egor

RoAPL Champion
:sm/latias-mega:

Ok, let's start the voting phase! There are 7 nominations so far:
CM BoltBeam by Katy
Wish + Protect by PsyducksChili
Defog by nameless90
CM Refresh by Ceros
Grass Knot by Slave Of Passion
CM Substitute by Prisoner952
Trapper by JTD783

Solaros & Lunaris your submission wasn't included to the list because you haven't fulfilled your reservation. ithrowrocksatkids your submission wasn't included to the list because you just went with a banned set, and you haven't changed it even after my alert. Shakur your submission wasn't included to the list because you, once again, haven't provided a description to your set. The deadline is Saturday 16th of November.​

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)