Resource Other Metagames Index - Ask Questions Here!

Ransei

Garde Mystik
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
ok so i just went to BH doubles and its on a dead server like I was the only one there is there a reason that it is not on the main channel?
Doubles OM formats tend to be less active than Singles formats, and we don't want too many variants of the same format around since they draw attention away from the base OM format used in our forum tours. BH Doubles roomtours can be hosted and played in https://play.pokemonshowdown.com/ommashups whenever there is a high enough demand, but from experience, this sort of demand is rare for the metagame.

Doubles OM formats tend to be less active than Singles formats, and we don't want too many variants of the same format around since they draw attention away from the base OM format used in our forum tours. BH Doubles roomtours can be hosted and played in https://play.pokemonshowdown.com/ommashups whenever there is a high enough demand, but from experience, this sort of demand is rare for the metagame.
will there ever be a way to see this like in the om of the month? also how do i vote for an om of the month ive been looking ahah

berry

what kind
is a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
will there ever be a way to see this like in the om of the month? also how do i vote for an om of the month ive been looking ahah
Because of their lowered player base, OM Mashups like doubles OMs have never been eligible for OMOTM voting. Just recently some of the most popular OM Mashups have been selected as Leader’s Choice metas, but that is only because of their importance and popularity in the Mashups community.

OMOTM nominations are here; https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/omotm-nominations-stage-october-2021.3691321/ . Make sure to read all of the rules in the top post before nominating.

Just throwing this out here as it's my first post and I need to get my post count up before my official suggestion post.

No official name yet, but is there any interest in an OM where the only pokemon allowed are OU pokemon (The pokemon in OU in that generation are essentially a time capsule and the pokemon included are ones before any major Tier shift at the start of a generation's meta [Think Dracovish and Mega evolutions in Sw/Sh, Celebi in gen 2, etc.) The OM is subject to shifting to a different point in any given generations meta, subject to user voting.

I think this metagame would be perfect Generation 6, where it seemed like Mega Pokemon were getting constantly banned over time. Every time a Mega was banned, a weaker one would become prevalent and usually get banned. Mega Kang, Lucario, Mawile, etc.

more out of just pure curiosity ... how likely would Stat Switch return as an OM one day? Is it generally quite unpopular or something?

edit: also, is/has there been an OM that somehow makes the worst stat spread / BST pokes the best and vice versa? Not just LC, but like Luvdisc, Delibird, Spinda would be A+ and like Heatran, Torn-T, Ubers, etc. would be D or unranked etc.

Last edited:

Isaiah

Here today, gone tomorrow
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
UM/OM Leader
Just throwing this out here as it's my first post and I need to get my post count up before my official suggestion post.

No official name yet, but is there any interest in an OM where the only pokemon allowed are OU pokemon (The pokemon in OU in that generation are essentially a time capsule and the pokemon included are ones before any major Tier shift at the start of a generation's meta [Think Dracovish and Mega evolutions in Sw/Sh, Celebi in gen 2, etc.) The OM is subject to shifting to a different point in any given generations meta, subject to user voting.

I think this metagame would be perfect Generation 6, where it seemed like Mega Pokemon were getting constantly banned over time. Every time a Mega was banned, a weaker one would become prevalent and usually get banned. Mega Kang, Lucario, Mawile, etc.
Generally, ideas like that would get hard rejected because they're extremely restrictive without really adding anything to gameplay. It's not particularly interesting to have an OM that's just standard play but with a very small amount of usable Pokemon.

more out of just pure curiosity ... how likely would Stat Switch return as an OM one day? Is it generally quite unpopular or something?

edit: also, is/has there been an OM that somehow makes the worst stat spread / BST pokes the best and vice versa? Not just LC, but like Luvdisc, Delibird, Spinda would be A+ and like Heatran, Torn-T, Ubers, etc. would be D or unranked etc.
OMs from previous generations (other than flagship/permaladder metagames) returning depends largely on if somebody chooses to try and resuscitate them and submit them (see: Metagame Workshop and OM Submissions. Anyone is free to submit a metagame, but approval largely depends on a user's activity and dedication.

As for your other questions, you might be interested in metas like 350 Cup, Tier Shift and Scalemons, which you can find in the OM Index.

Is Custom Game considered an OM? I get that's not the point of it, but I'm curious to see how it'd work, I think it could either be very boring and stally, or fun and chaotic

drampa's grandpa

cannonball
is a Community Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
Is Custom Game considered an OM? I get that's not the point of it, but I'm curious to see how it'd work, I think it could either be very boring and stally, or fun and chaotic
Custom Game is not an OM.

Custom Game is inherently based off of what the server is capable of, not off of anything in-game, which goes against what what we look for.
The closest equivalent we have is Pure Hackmons, which recently switched over to being based in the new Brilliant Diamond / Shining Pearl games.

Custom Game is not an OM.

Custom Game is inherently based off of what the server is capable of, not off of anything in-game, which goes against what what we look for.
The closest equivalent we have is Pure Hackmons, which recently switched over to being based in the new Brilliant Diamond / Shining Pearl games.
But aren't OMs, as a concept, based off what the server is capable of, and not anything ingame?

If we were to give it a label, Custom Game is a Pet Mod since it includes mechanics from every generation, in addition to removing any in-game legalities as well as limitations like EVs, team size, and move slots.

I would like to suggest Monotype double battles. Could be fun, and both mono and doubles could use some new blood. ^^; Thanks in advance for considering it. (if not as a perm format, it could be a spicy tour)

Commonly Rejected Metagame Ideas:
Common Submissions

• I Know my egg groups!: Pokemon have access to moves/abilities of Pokemon in the same egg group.
Would a mod such as this one fall into this category? The description for "I Know my egg groups!" makes it sound like a very specific case where Pokémon have access to all the egg moves of Pokémon in the same egg group, rather than a more inclusive one, such as "anything that allows Pokémon to learn more moves from other Pokémon in the same Egg Group".

Last edited:

pulsar512b

ss ou fangirl
is a Pre-Contributor
When do OM of the month metagame ladders become playable on the main server- is there a specific time? I understand it would be today or tomorrow

Isaiah

is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
UM/OM Leader
When do OM of the month metagame ladders become playable on the main server- is there a specific time? I understand it would be today or tomorrow
There's no specific time; it depends largely on when the devs are able to implement the changes on the server. Your second thought is correct though, it will always be no earlier than the 1st day of a given month.

Reactions: UT
(sorry for m'y english)
Hi.
Little question
Did OM will stay with 8gen mon of sw/sh ? or in some times we can play with bd sp mon as main metagame ?
I know 4gen don t have New mecanic but 8gen suck so...
Idk if it s clear...

UT

Come one come all, it's happening again
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Team Rateris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Appeals + C&C Lead
(sorry for m'y english)
Hi.
Little question
Did OM will stay with 8gen mon of sw/sh ? or in some times we can play with bd sp mon as main metagame ?
I know 4gen don t have New mecanic but 8gen suck so...
Idk if it s clear...
Hey, your question was perfectly clear! Most of the OMs stayed in Sw/Sh as the main metagame. The only exception is Pure Hackmons, because several game breaking bugs were discovered that made Sw/Sh Pure Hackmons unplayable.

There is also the BDSP Megathread, where there is discussion on Balanced Hackmons/Almost Any Ability/STABmons in BDSP. But, those are not the main metas.

Hope that helps!

Last edited:
As we know, there is no online battle in Pokemon Legends: Arceus. To counterbalance this, is there an Other Metagames project that would take over the special mechanics of this game? Based on Hisui Pokédex (with the traditional banlist of game mascots), we would notably have the absence of abilities and items, the replacement of EVs by « Effort Levels », new status or even the nerf of many moves. I may be underestimating the difficulty of setting up such a format, but the potential is there.

Isaiah

UM/OM Leader
As we know, there is no online battle in Pokemon Legends: Arceus. To counterbalance this, is there an Other Metagames project that would take over the special mechanics of this game? Based on Hisui Pokédex (with the traditional banlist of game mascots), we would notably have the absence of abilities and items, the replacement of EVs by « Effort Levels », new status or even the nerf of many moves. I may be underestimating the difficulty of setting up such a format, but the potential is there.
We have no plans to adapt a PLA-esque OM. It's already enough that PLA doesn't have online battling, but all of the mechanical changes to things like the battle system and moves would make a PLA-esque meta more of a Pet Mod than anything. To quote directly from our rules here:

OMs typically make broad changes off a consistent rule, or small set of rules.
Almost completely rewiring the way the game works in the way PLA does is far too big a change to qualify as an OM. Maybe at some later date if these mechanics become part of the mainline games, but as of right now it's a pretty clear no. I hope that answers your question!

Would it be difficult to take common sets for evergreen OM's and put them in a random battle format, maybe not for a ladder, but maybe just for challenges? Playing AAA with my friends would be really fun, but they refuse to play any format but random battles hehe

Would it be difficult to take common sets for evergreen OM's and put them in a random battle format, maybe not for a ladder, but maybe just for challenges? Playing AAA with my friends would be really fun, but they refuse to play any format but random battles hehe
I know someone did that for four Gen 7 formats two years ago (AAA, Camomons, Mix and Mega and STABmons), so it's definitely feasible, but it depends on someone willing to generate the sets. (Battle Factory doesn't even exist for Gen 8 yet.)

Isaiah

UM/OM Leader
Would Typeless Battles(in OM rejections) be considered the same thing as having an OM where everything is ??? Type? Typeless Battles specifically says Normal and not one type, so I just want to make sure before I submit my idea to Workshop
Yeah, all ??? Type would get hard rejected as well. I'm not sure if it's even possible to make everything ??? Type, but I hope that clears things up regardless :]

e: I edited the commonly rejected post to also specify ???

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)