Resource Other Metagames Index - Ask Questions Here!

Hi does this category cover the “random” metagame? I’m not the biggest fan of random using Uber rules and was wondering where to go to address the possibility of an OU random

Hi does this category cover the “random” metagame? I’m not the biggest fan of random using Uber rules and was wondering where to go to address the possibility of an OU random
i think showdown covers the random metagame. and an ou random alr exists, its called battle factory, idk where to play tho
you need actual competitive experience in ou to manage a om, right?
bumping

Good morning, I'm Empereux and I'm French. Sorry in a first time for my bad english.

I research a solo 6v6 metagame when we can play like in the console. With the same rules (20mn timer for example). Is it exist ?

Thank you.

berry

what kind
is a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
you need actual competitive experience in ou to manage a om, right?
no, when going through the submission process, the submission is judged on two main criteria, and a user does not need OU skill to lead one.

1. Is this OM too similar to an already existing metagame that it would overlap with a more popular format? (think: is a meta that changes a pokemon's type too similar to camomons? is a meta that gives mons new moves too similar to STABmons?)
2. Does this idea present a unique new experience to players? Is it fun to play, and will its idea captivate users for more than a couple days? Lots of metas burn out after the original week or two of discussion. Does the idea last past this initial "discovery" stage?

A user's maturity level or post quality may also be brought into consideration, depending on whether the approval team thinks the user is fit to host a metagame.

Random battles are always being tweaked and changed to try and balance pokemon to an acceptable threshold. Ubers are leveled down to account for their power, while UU and lower tier mons are leveled higher for the same reason. Even without Ubers in the format, Random Battles would not be "OU Based" because randbats has its own set of rules and regulations that differ from current gen OU (no team preview, some impossible sets, dynamax is allowed, etc)
For something closer to OU there is battle factory, which uses randomized teams of same-tier pokemon to battle others. This is the closest to "OU Random Battles" that you can get, but the tier can give you anywhere from LC to Ubers teams to fight your opponents. Currently, only Gens 6 and 7 Battle Factory exist, and gen 8 is being worked on. I would recommend asking about this more in the randbats room on Showdown: https://psim.us/randbats

Good morning, I'm Empereux and I'm French. Sorry in a first time for my bad english.

I research a solo 6v6 metagame when we can play like in the console. With the same rules (20mn timer for example). Is it exist ?

Thank you.
Right now, there are two options that could pose as an answer to this question, but nothing that answers the question exactly and completely.

First, Battle Stadium (https://www.smogon.com/forums/forums/battle-stadium.457/) aims to re-create the singles and doubles formats that are available to play on cartridge. Unfortunately, the main tier is a bring-6-pick-3 format, and I do not believe the 20-minute timer is not included.

The other option is standard OU (https://www.smogon.com/forums/forums/overused.526/) , which is a 6-v-6 format like you asked for, but it does not follow specific cartridge mechanics (like the addition of sleep clause, the banning of dynamax and certain pokemon, etc)

Hope this post helped to answer some questions.

Thank you.
Right now, there are two options that could pose as an answer to this question, but nothing that answers the question exactly and completely.

First, Battle Stadium (https://www.smogon.com/forums/forums/battle-stadium.457/) aims to re-create the singles and doubles formats that are available to play on cartridge. Unfortunately, the main tier is a bring-6-pick-3 format, and I do not believe the 20-minute timer is not included.

The other option is standard OU (https://www.smogon.com/forums/forums/overused.526/) , which is a 6-v-6 format like you asked for, but it does not follow specific cartridge mechanics (like the addition of sleep clause, the banning of dynamax and certain pokemon, etc)
I know “rules” was mentioned but it could have meant legality rules, rather than bans and clauses. So I’ll mention Anything Goes which is 6v6 based on what is legally obtainable on console.

https://www.smogon.com/forums/forums/anything-goes.600/

Does there exist a meta game that's the same as ou but no mythic/legendary/ultra beast pokemon are allowed? Always curious how my favorite pokemon would fair if the power creep from the years of mythic pokemon wasn't an issue

Does there exist a meta game that's the same as ou but no mythic/legendary/ultra beast pokemon are allowed? Always curious how my favorite pokemon would fair if the power creep from the years of mythic pokemon wasn't an issue
No, and there never will be because legendary is just an arbitrary label Game Freak slaps on a Pokemon that has no actual effect on its battle prowess.

You are far from the first person to ask this, and you certainly won't be the last.

No, and there never will be because legendary is just an arbitrary label Game Freak slaps on a Pokemon that has no actual effect on its battle prowess.

You are far from the first person to ask this, and you certainly won't be the last.
Lol, if I'm not the first person I think that proves that people might want to actually see it.
I believe I've heard of what a legendary pokemon is before...obviously you have mons like Articuno and Guzzlord who end up at the bottom, but there's no denying that on average the mythics/legendaries/ultra beasts up the power curve. The other kanto birds, heatran, tapus, Terrakion, and Keldeo etc provide an enormous amount of competition/invalidate certain pokemon in similar roles.

Clearly there's some truth to it so I'd prefer if people wouldn't be so quick to end the discussion/assume I don't know what a legendary pokemon is.

Last edited:
Lol, if I'm not the first person I think that proves that people might want to actually see it.
I believe I've heard of what a legendary pokemon is before...obviously you have mons like Articuno and Guzzlord who end up at the bottom, but there's no denying that on average the mythics/legendaries/ultra beasts up the power curve. The other kanto birds, heatran, tapus, Terrakion, and Keldeo etc provide an enormous amount of competition/invalidate certain pokemon in similar roles.

Clearly there's some truth to it so I'd prefer if people wouldn't be so quick to end the discussion/assume I don't know what a legendary pokemon is.
Yeah but Cinderace, Toxapex and Clefable outperform all the Pokemon you named with ease (bar possibly Heatran, who has been a healthy and balanced OU staple for 5 gens now) in the current OU metagame, and both Dracovish and G-Darm are way more broken than any of those mon s will ever be. "Legendary", as the above poster pointed out, is a totally meaningless label that imples nothing about a Pokemon's strength (see: Calyrex lol). Also, if you want to get technical about it, Ultra Beasts are clearly not legendarys sooo unban Naga. So unless you want to get into a argument about what counts as a Legendary and what doesn't and then try and balance Sand Rush Dracovish... Not even worth considering.

Yeah but Cinderace, Toxapex and Clefable outperform all the Pokemon you named with ease (bar possibly Heatran, who has been a healthy and balanced OU staple for 5 gens now) in the current OU metagame, and both Dracovish and G-Darm are way more broken than any of those mon s will ever be. "Legendary", as the above poster pointed out, is a totally meaningless label that imples nothing about a Pokemon's strength (see: Calyrex lol). Also, if you want to get technical about it, Ultra Beasts are clearly not legendarys sooo unban Naga. So unless you want to get into a argument about what counts as a Legendary and what doesn't and then try and balance Sand Rush Dracovish... Not even worth considering.
If you read my post you'd see I made a distinction with ultra beasts. So no need to get technical...again. And if the Pokemon you mentioned above completely outperformed those I mentioned in every way they wouldn't even be ranked.
Anyways, It doesn't really matter as I'm in no position to start a meta game, but the immediate aversion to even the idea of a just "normal pokemon tier" feels strange and unimaginative

If you read my post you'd see I made a distinction with ultra beasts. So no need to get technical...again. And if the Pokemon you mentioned above completely outperformed those I mentioned in every way they wouldn't even be ranked.
Anyways, It doesn't really matter as I'm in no position to start a meta game, but the immediate aversion to even the idea of a just "normal pokemon tier" feels strange and unimaginative
OU is the "normal Pokemon tier". For the "not-normal Pokemon tier", see Ubers. Point is there is no distinction in gameplay terms between legendaries and non-ledgendaries. It's not an "aversion" to the idea, it's simply me pointing out the entire foundation of the idea is flawed.

Basically, what OU does is exactly what you describe, only rather than base its banlist off the idea of "legendaries" it bans anything that's too strong for normal gameplay, as shown by empirical testing and decided on in public suspect tests by experienced players. Just because Game Freak decides to slap the label of "ledgendary" on it does not influence this process in any way. Mewtwo is banned for the exact same reason Dracovish is banned, nothing to do with it being a "ledgendary". This creates a consistent environment where Pokemon can be impartially evaluated to see if they belong in the OU tier.

What DrPumpkins was trying to say when he said "You are far from the first person to ask this, and you certainly won't be the last." is that every single person who blames "legendaries" for whatever perceived problem with OU they have has suggested this on the basis that it will somehow make the game better to give Clefable and Toxapex an even greater stranglehold on the tier. But really any system that suggests base Calyrex should be banned and not G-Darm or Mega Gengar is kinda silly for obvious reasons.

Anyway, as this is the OM section, I'll wrap this up by saying this metagame wouldn't be approved for 3 reasons:
  1. Arbitrary ruleset that puts it into Pet Mod territory.
  2. Way too similar to an existing metagame (OU).
  3. Simply won't be popular because metagames that restrict players are almost always less popular than those that give them more options.
If you truly believe there is a demand for this, the Pet Mod subforum is here:
https://www.smogon.com/forums/forums/pet-mods.549/

Have a nice day.

OU is the "normal Pokemon tier". For the "not-normal Pokemon tier", see Ubers. Point is there is no distinction in gameplay terms between legendaries and non-ledgendaries. It's not an "aversion" to the idea, it's simply me pointing out the entire foundation of the idea is flawed.

Basically, what OU does is exactly what you describe, only rather than base its banlist off the idea of "legendaries" it bans anything that's too strong for normal gameplay, as shown by empirical testing and decided on in public suspect tests by experienced players. Just because Game Freak decides to slap the label of "ledgendary" on it does not influence this process in any way. Mewtwo is banned for the exact same reason Dracovish is banned, nothing to do with it being a "ledgendary". This creates a consistent environment where Pokemon can be impartially evaluated to see if they belong in the OU tier.

What DrPumpkins was trying to say when he said "You are far from the first person to ask this, and you certainly won't be the last." is that every single person who blames "legendaries" for whatever perceived problem with OU they have has suggested this on the basis that it will somehow make the game better to give Clefable and Toxapex an even greater stranglehold on the tier. But really any system that suggests base Calyrex should be banned and not G-Darm or Mega Gengar is kinda silly for obvious reasons.

Anyway, as this is the OM section, I'll wrap this up by saying this metagame wouldn't be approved for 3 reasons:
  1. Arbitrary ruleset that puts it into Pet Mod territory.
  2. Way too similar to an existing metagame (OU).
  3. Simply won't be popular because metagames that restrict players are almost always less popular than those that give them more options.
If you truly believe there is a demand for this, the Pet Mod subforum is here:
https://www.smogon.com/forums/forums/pet-mods.549/

Have a nice day.
Thanks for the more detailed response. It's possible that this forum just isn't the place for that sort of meta. I can see what you mean, although I do think that if pex and clefable had that much of a stranglehold they could just be banned. Anyways, no need to discuss it further, makes sense what you say about people not wanting to play more restricting metas. More so was just curious how some of the more niche pokemon would fair with less role competition.

berry

what kind
is a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
how do i get permission too post a thread
The Submissions Forum (https://www.smogon.com/forums/forums/om-submissions.550/) is the way to propose threads to be posted in the OM forum. We usually look for multiple things when looking for beneficial threads to post in the main thread: longevity and interest level first among the general community, followed by looking at the user's history and relevance in the forum and discord / PS chats as well.

With those criteria in mind (and speaking from a place of experience as a member of the OM Submissions team and longstanding member of the community), the thread you proposed doesn't sound like it would be long lasting (it seems like more of a gimmick than anything) and the interest level for intentionally bad OM Mashups is near zero.

For examples of some non-metagame non-tournament threads that have been approved in the forum so far, you can look at the following

Matchmaking https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/om-matchmaking-week-19-aaa-tapu-koko-submissions.3670510/
Creative and Underrated Sets https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/creative-and-underrated-sets.3659574/
Theorymon https://www.smogon.com/forums/threa...mega-2-moves-submissions-see-post-45.3675713/

berry

what kind
Quick mechanics question: Does a failed Sucker Punch change Libero Cinderace's type?
no

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ubers-1292153784

bulbapedia said:
Libero will not activate if the move fails (unless it fails due to the activation of Libero), if the execution is interrupted entirely (such as by the effect of infatuation or confusion), if the move is prevented by heavy rain or extremely harsh sunlight. Libero will activate even if the move misses, is blocked by a protection move, or fails to affect the opponent. Libero will still change the user's type when using Roar, Whirlwind, Trick-or-Treat, and Forest's Curse, regardless of whether the move successfully executes or not.

Last edited:

Ransei

Garde Mystik
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
You can edit them in but you cannot use them in local matches against other players, which is what the emulation is based on.

Gamefreak added in a soft hack check in Generation 6 that disabled anyone from bringing Pokemon with more than 510 EVs against another player. This check was removed in Generation 7.

So I have an idea for a meta called Maxgen, where Pokémon can use every move introduced in their generation. "Maxgen" already exists as a search command on Showdown, and it shows every move introduced in a generation. Does it also exist as a mod that can be used in challenges? Because I'd like to test out my idea.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)