ORAS UU Viability Rankings V5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magnets. :]

I'm nominating Magneton to move up from C+ to B-.

Magneton is actually pretty neat right now for a number of reasons. Let's start with the obvious: Magnet Pull. Magneton traps Steel-types and other than their typing (obviously) the UU Steel-types have another thing in common: they don't have a recovery move. Empoleon, Escavalier, Metagross, Mega Aggron, Bronzong and Forretress form UUs selection of bulky Steel-types that stand in the way of your Haxorus sweep or your Sylveon breaking through. None of these Pokemon take Magneton's hits very well (at all), especially from a Choice Specs set (the best Magneton set in UU right now, imo). Empoleon especially hates Magneton as it's part Water-type and many players look to Empoleon as their form of hazard control after the Zapdos and Salamence bans, respectively.

Magneton does exceptionally well at denting and/or removing these Steel-types to support its team, but it isn't dead weight should it not be facing one of the aforementioned Magnet Pull targets, either. A Choice Specs set of Volt Switch, Flash Cannon, Thunderbolt and Hidden Power Grass is actually really tricky to switch in on, while it's defensive typing grants it a decent amount of opportunities to come into play as well (it comfortably switches in on the commonly used Crobat, for example). I've personally enjoyed it most alongside Mega Beedrill in a Volt-Turn core, which limited the need to switch Magneton in on any attacks, as well as making my opponents think twice about switching in their Mega Aggron or Empoleon into Mega Beedrill's U-turn, for example.

I highly recommend you all to give Magneton a go since it's a lot of fun to use and it does the job it's supposed to do very well.

Magneton @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Grass]

We all make mistakes no big deal. Seconding Haxorus to B+ while it may not bring as much to the table defensively as say Hydreigon its a powerful and versatile threat. Its a bit like Kyurem in that respect - a powerful versatile threat with a few flaws keeping it out of A

Nomination:Reuniclus from A to A+
Right now, this pokémon is the third best special wallbreaker in UU after Hydreigon and Celebi. Under trick room, a LO set with psychock/shadow ball/focus blast can destroy a team by itself late game. Reuniclus deserves a better rank than cresselia. It is more versatile (it can also run a phys def set) as cress can only stall out mons, a calm mind set is ruined by toxic. Dark types aren't much trouble for it, sylveon can beat most of Hydreigon sets and krookodile dies to swampert. Of course both are OHKOed by FB on the switch or under TR.

sam-testings

What a beautiful face, I have found in this place
Nomination:Reuniclus from A to A+
Right now, this pokémon is the third best special wallbreaker in UU after Hydreigon and Celebi. Under trick room, a LO set with psychock/shadow ball/focus blast can destroy a team by itself late game. Reuniclus deserves a better rank than cresselia. It is more versatile (it can also run a phys def set) as cress can only stall out mons, a calm mind set is ruined by toxic. Dark types aren't much trouble for it, sylveon can beat most of Hydreigon sets and krookodile dies to swampert. Of course both are OHKOed by FB on the switch or under TR.
First of all viability rankings are based off of a mons individual ability, so bringing up the fact that Sylveon deals with some dark types is not really a valid argument. Secondly, Focus Blast is really unreliable, and this makes it hard to actually kill certain mons. You compare Reuniclus to Cresselia, however they are both able to destroy entire teams once their checks are taken care of. Also, Sylveon is probably the third best special wallbreaker. Reuniclus is perfectly fine where it is in my opinion and does not deserve a rise to A+.

A- to A
Nidoqueen is probably one of the best Pokémon in the tier right now, not only because it has access to Stealth Rock, but it has a very good natural bulk and a fearsome Ability that allows it to beak the most of the walls in the tier right now. The recent tier changes are very favorable to it - Stall is kinda trash right now, Sylveon is literally everywhere and Steel- and Poison-Types are essential to wall it. Therefore, Nidoqueen can take advantage of Sylveon by outspeeding it while running a good benchmark (128 EVs in Speed outspeeds 252 Speed Modest Sylveon), not to mention that Pokémon like Tentacruel and Empoleon are always in check when you are using Nidoqueen, thanks to Thunderbolt/Earth Power. It is a blanket to Toxicroak and Cobalion too, what turns it into one of the best Fighting resists for Offense. It's access to Taunt is very useful sometimes. I used a set with Taunt/Thunderbolt/Sludge Wave/Earth Power and it works so well, acting as a hard hitting wallbreaker that can defeat things like Mandibuzz, Porygon2 and Suicune 1v1 without many issues. It's Ground-type is very good for teams that are lacking a Volt Switch-in, not to mention that Nidoqueen will take U-Turn from things like Mienshao and Beedrill-Mega very well. Nidoqueen has a lot of Coverage options over Ice Beam, Thunderbolt works very well to hit Water-Types, Focus Blast 2HKOes Porygon2 and OHKOes Shuca Empoleon, Fire Blast hits Bronzong, what is very useful too. I really can't see Nidoqueen aside of Pokémon like Toxicroak, Blastoise-Mega and Whimsicott, but I can easily see it aside of Pokémon like Cresselia and Cobalion.

C+ to B- Agree
Magneton got a lot better. Imo, Analytic is it's optimal Ability, mostly because the things that it traps can OHKO/2HKO it or run, like Cobalion, Doublade and Forretress, respectively. Analytic Specs is fearsome to everything, no one can switch in it without sack a Pokémon or lose momentum. Thunderbolt in the switch almost 2HKOes Cresselia after Stealth Rock. It is definitely deserving a rise.

A to A- Agree
Sableye is definitely not A potential. The new tier changes just fucked with it, Stall isn't good anymore. The prevelence of Sylveon and Celebi is just too bad, and nothing will change it until a potential ban. Things like Hydreigon can wreck it, and Stall has no answers to the previously mentioned NP Celebi and BU Conkeldurr. (Un)fortunately, Sableye isn't that good anymore.

Kreme

You might be right but you're not correct.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
A- to A
Nidoqueen is probably one of the best Pokémon in the tier right now, not only because it has access to Stealth Rock, but it has a very good natural bulk and a fearsome Ability that allows it to beak the most of the walls in the tier right now. The recent tier changes are very favorable to it - Stall is kinda trash right now, Sylveon is literally everywhere and Steel- and Poison-Types are essential to wall it. Therefore, Nidoqueen can take advantage of Sylveon by outspeeding it while running a good benchmark (128 EVs in Speed outspeeds 252 Speed Modest Sylveon), not to mention that Pokémon like Tentacruel and Empoleon are always in check when you are using Nidoqueen, thanks to Thunderbolt/Earth Power. It is a blanket to Toxicroak and Cobalion too, what turns it into one of the best Fighting resists for Offense. It's access to Taunt is very useful sometimes. I used a set with Taunt/Thunderbolt/Sludge Wave/Earth Power and it works so well, acting as a hard hitting wallbreaker that can defeat things like Mandibuzz, Porygon2 and Suicune 1v1 without many issues. It's Ground-type is very good for teams that are lacking a Volt Switch-in, not to mention that Nidoqueen will take U-Turn from things like Mienshao and Beedrill-Mega very well. Nidoqueen has a lot of Coverage options over Ice Beam, Thunderbolt works very well to hit Water-Types, Focus Blast 2HKOes Porygon2 and OHKOes Shuca Empoleon, Fire Blast hits Bronzong, what is very useful too. I really can't see Nidoqueen aside of Pokémon like Toxicroak, Blastoise-Mega and Whimsicott, but I can easily see it aside of Pokémon like Cresselia and Cobalion.

C+ to B- Agree
Magneton got a lot better. Imo, Analytic is it's optimal Ability, mostly because the things that it traps can OHKO/2HKO it or run, like Cobalion, Doublade and Forretress, respectively. Analytic Specs is fearsome to everything, no one can switch in it without sack a Pokémon or lose momentum. Thunderbolt in the switch almost 2HKOes Cresselia after Stealth Rock. It is definitely deserving a rise.

A to A- Agree
Sableye is definitely not A potential. The new tier changes just fucked with it, Stall isn't good anymore. The prevelence of Sylveon and Celebi is just too bad, and nothing will change it until a potential ban. Things like Hydreigon can wreck it, and Stall has no answers to the previously mentioned NP Celebi and BU Conkeldurr. (Un)fortunately, Sableye isn't that good anymore.
Going to disagree with the Nidoqueen nomination. Nidoqueen hasn't really improved from the drops that much, imo, as the metagame right now seems more detrimental to it than anything. The most popular Fairy-type right now is Sylveon which dents it extremely hard, and Sylveon's most common partner, Krookodile, easily feasts on Nidoqueen by either trapping it, which is bad for Nidoqueen due to lack of recovery, or outright OHKOing it. Not to mention Celebi is extremely popular right now, as a team's Grass-type, and it's not very scared of Nidoqueen outside from switching in. With entry hazard removal at an all time low after Salamence was removed from the tier, Tentacruel and Empoleon have been more commonplace and both are more or less impartial to Nidoqueen, with the former opting to run more offensive sets in order to catch out the increasingly popular Krookodile, and the latter commonly running Shuca Berry to tank Nidoqueen's hit and retaliate anyhow. Sylveon's drop has also made Blissey a much better option on balance teams which is definitely not good for Nidoqueen, and a lot of Pokemon Nidoqueen used to check quite well, such as Florges and Toxicroak, are much less favorable in the current metagame. Honestly I feel a lot of the information you provided has been pretty much commonplace for a while now with the exception of Poison- and Steel-types being a lot more commonplace to counteract Sylveon, which more or less balances out with the other metagame changes which are extremely detrimental for Nidoqueen. So all in all I'm against Nidoqueen moving up, especially considering what else is in A- like Swampert and Tentacruel.

warzoid

I have several gelatinous friends
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Heracross to B+: Disagree. The ability to get past Cresselia with bug STAB sets it apart from other fighting types. FatMence was the only hard counter to this thing (besides Acrobatics Gligar). Swords Dance sets are a huge threat to stall and balance. +2 Guts Orb Facade easily OHKOs max defense Sylveon.

Toxicroak to B+: Slightly agree. It has great typing and a great ability, but its bulk, power, and speed can be underwhelming at times. This one could go either way.

Magneton to B-: Slightly disagree. BeeMag can be pretty hit or miss depending on what steel the opponent is using. If it's Forretress, Empoleon, or Aggron, then Magneton works great. If it's Doublade, Cobalion, or Steelix, then Magneton won't be doing much.

Nidoqueen to A: Disagree. It's not better than Swampert, Ape, or Conk.

Sableye to A-: Unsure. Sableye certainly fits on more playstyles than just stall. It does invite in Sylveon, but it can hit it up with a Knock Off or Ring Target Will-O-Wisp to weaken it. I can see it being a bit worse in the current meta though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)