Lower Tiers ORAS UU Discussion, Trends, and Rambling

Lyssa

is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
DPL Champion
post uupl random rumbling

- HO resurgence is slowly happening, playstyle is good but it feels so naked in terms of options. The main 2 takes you can have on it to me are either Sharpedo funnelling ( 1 2 3 4 ), built around the fact that sharpedo is an unfair mon when being up against anything but florges (and counter quagsire, apparently) although it somehow hasn't done shit in any of the replays i just posted, and something more theorical like physical offense, where entei and broken oras burns open up the room for the guys to just beat what they have infront of them. The reason why i called it naked is because you don't really have much room to wiggle or experiment with things: there aren't many mons worth funnelling on left and they all require strong support that comes from specific elements/moveslots you can't really take off. In my experience playing with the first kind of team I mentioned above, I never really felt like I was facing a straight up impossible MU due to the amount of tools I had at my disposal, but so many of them were really hard to play through because the teams so slow and often ends up having to take a decent but still unwelcomed trade. Froslass is easily the hardcarry and only reason why the playstyle is still even usable, not many things lead up well into it and it setups the game in a way where getting hazards off the field is impossible unless you're willing to sacrifice an important piece. And finally, I really don't think gyarados is good. Current meta is a near-utopic field for it with most of the things that truly annoy the mon, such as mandibuzz or previously much more utilized aerodactyl, trending off and being seen a lot less, but the mon still feels way too weak, and +1 speed doesn't make the cut. It obviously can steal a game or two but I don't find it particularly worth funnelling, we've seen it once this tour in what can only be described as A Game, so maybe it pops up again in the future.

- Healing wish is broken. For how the tier functions and the pace it plays at, healing wish allows you to take trades you'd otherwise be forbidden from, and boy does that feel unfair in a tier entirely built around proper trading and positioning. Surprisingly there haven't been many examples of this during the tour, everytime it would've come up the game ended before it could, but I'd say it's the one reason for the scarf celebi usagespike we're seeing considering it's the best body it's attached to.

- Speaking of celebi, onion girl is back even as a setup wincon. Few things have contributed to this such as mienshao, mandibuzz and aerodactyl(especially pursuit) falling off in usage which is by far the biggest help it could receive, but also most people moving away from previously utilised outs for it, such as signal beam empoleon, and multiple players having a balance-heavy metaread coming into the tournament contributed their part. All in all, this meta is MUCH friendlier to celebi than what we had.

- The tier is "solved" and what I mean by this is that if you're looking for what is the most consistent thing you can use, and I doubt this is really going to change in the future, you're most likely looking at toad/swamp+emp+bat+3(or better, hwish+2 for last). It's pretty much good into anything commonly utilised, with a couple of things such as heracross and drei being the exceptions, but it having neutral mus at worse into anything else while still holding tools to deal with the aforementioned 2. Instead of defaulting, the trend for multiple people this tour has been finding ways to disrupt said core. We've seen stuff like sableye rose up to the occasion, the mon's still pretty mid into most things but demolishes almost singlehandedly swampert structures. This has been a much more "out there" tournament, with people being more willing to take risks and try out new ways to beat what's been top, although said things are big times flawed into the rest.

- Protect on megas remains a social construct i'm sorry. ORAS speed mechanics absolutely suck but I've never found myself comfortable sacking a moveslot on what is arguably the most important slot on my team everytime, and things get so much better once that is utilised. I've never been a fan of standard absol for multiple reasons I've talked about before, however I am a fan of sucker punch absol recently with the way things are moving towards. Tried it and I never really felt like I was lacking opportunities to get the turn to mega off from, and while I understand especially on absol being able to do that from the start and getting more variance into your opponent's head is great, on top of being able to sack a turn for burn damage if you're utilizing wisp, sucker for lategame and occasionally pursuit are SO good. Other examples such as beedrill with things such as tspikes that can entire MUs around and so much more. At the end of the day, if you're using these mons you're taking a risk regardless with how flawed they are and the requirements you have to put up with to make them work in the first place, not fully committing to their strength is something I don't quite get at that point. Also the absol example sucked and i realised it halfway through writing this paragraph so instead of me calling that shit because it isn't rly take that part as me praising other absol sets i suppose.

random quickfire stuff because i'm too lazy to write much more:
- Houndoom is just good now, and I'd put it as solid top 20. It's by far one of the best hwish partner abuser and mienshao/dactyl trending off are a god sent, the mon feels amazing rn.
- Sylveon is so good for being a glass cannon it's kinda ridic, i've def misunderstood it in some capacity before but I absolutely love her now
- If there is a lesson to be taken from this tour is that any mon with wisp is viable and I hate that.
- Heat/mow tom are both great and should be used more
- Taunt bat is past it's prime and has a much awkward time sequencing nowadays compared to previously, but it's still the bat to consider while theorycrafting because superfang landing is inevitable. That mon stays clear #1
- Knock off empoleon solves every single problem I had with emp before (just knock that viri the mons gonna do 50 with zhb to bat next turn anyways) and the moment celebi and drei fully come back to life i'll hate life again.
- Gligar fucking sucks
- Roserade doesn't suck but it makes your team suck. if you know you know
- Doubalde wins everygame until it doesn't :fire:

ty once again to umbry for building/editing every single team i've used this season, some of them were incredibly fun. I'll be taking a long break from this tier because i'm truthfully bored of it and don't like when things get to that stale point and people start using dumbassery to beat what's good because i'm boring and lack creativity, but I think the metas in a solid place and it's easily one if not the best UU tier atm. bye

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)