ORAS Ubers Viability Ranking Thread (Final ORAS Update - Post #1164)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hyw

Banned deucer.
Yeah I have a huge problem with Landorus-T as well. According to the Smogon analysis, it checks "Primal Groudon, Ho-Oh, Swords Dance Arceus, and Klefki." Assuming the Choice Scarf set (the only set viable aside from its niche as Stealth Rocker on Sticky Webs), it doesn't really check any of these at all.

The first two you don't wanna switch into because of both Lava Plume and Sacred Fire burning you at best and 2HKOing you at worst, and you flat-out fail to check Ekiller idk why that's in the analysis lol.

Furthermore, the metagame is constructed in such a way that pressures its viability: every team has a built-in Klefki check in Primal Groudon anyway, locking yourself into a Ground move is shitty because all teams overprepare by default with Pokémon like Salamence, Giratina-O, and Lugia so as to not get swept by Double Dance Primal Groudon, and U-Turn is so piss weak you don't even OHKO Darkrai. You're forced to run Jolly for Deoxys-Attack which further cuts your firepower. I concede that Ground is a great offensive typing nevertheless but at best, due to Choice-lock, you'll find yourself forcing the opponent to coinflip whether you'll Earthquake or U-Turn, and this strategy relies on both match-up and the fact that you've offensively stacked hazards prior. How high is the payoff? Quite low in practice. Hell, you even fail to beat Mega Gengar because they'll just scout you with Protect.

Picking off Deoxys-Attack or low-health Darkrai sans loss of momentum is an undeniable asset, but given the preparation for Ground-type attacks the metagame has shifted in equilibrium towards, in addition to the overall lack of damage output, plus the obligation of using Choice Scarf to find any effectiveness hinder Landorus-T below the A rank at best. A more appropriate placement would be that above Shaymin-Sky in B rank as both are similar in that their speed grant them: revenge-killing capabilities whilst their lack of firepower hold them back tremendously. The glaring difference in this comparison would be their defensive utility but really, what are you Intimidating? Salamence? Ekiller? Ho-Oh? Arceus-Ground? None of these things actually mind Intimidate because you're either 2HKO'd anyway or, even worse, your lack of raw damage results you in becoming set-up bait.

A good metric in measuring viability would be asking oneself how many top-tier teams have incorporated the Pokémon in question and I honestly can't think of any good team using Landorus-T other than Hack's Sun, which fitted it perfectly, as it had Klefki with Spikes and the team benefitted from the aforementioned positive attributes such as that of a revenge-killer able to pick-off frail attackers, Ground-immunity, and so on.

My two cents and also s/o Hack and zf etc the rankings are so much cleaner now lmao gfj

Last edited:

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Can we get an answer on Lando-T? I'm aware dice can't actually make a reply at the moment because he's banned, but can we get like a decent explanation for why it's ranked so high? Tbh, it's not a bad Pokemon, but some of the Pokemon that it's above is a bit much. It really shouldn't be higher than Pokemon like Rayquaza or Latios, or even Groundceus or Deo-S for that matter. hyw covered most of the points already. While I get it's a great momentum mon and a great role compressor, its ability to check the Pokemon that its advertised to check is kind of poor. I guess it can reliably check your 125+ base speed frail mons, shit like Ho-oh/Ekiller/P Don which you're supposed to Intimidate off don't really care that much in the long run.

I was actually gonna post this yesterday but I got caught up. The current thread format will be used as we move into SM Ubers, and the new thread will be hosted by yours truly. Consider this small change the "Final Update" of ORAS Ubers. This thread will still be around like our other old VR threads and might occasionally see updates depending on how active it is.

Final ORAS Update:

Landorus-T: A >>> A- (Bottom of A-)

And with that, I'd like to thank the community for making this thread a success. SM is less than a week away!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)