OU ORAS OU Viability Rankings

Ruft

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Leader
:manaphy:
Agree with most of the stuff above, but I wanted to add that I think Manaphy, currently in B rank, should rise too. It's seen a considerable amount of usage in recent times, especially the latest season of Smogon Tour, on various types of offensively inclined teams, including the ever so common webs, which patches up its average Speed stat. It's so valuable even that supporting it with double Healing Wish is a viable concept. Easily one of the most threatening breakers around with Tail Glow + 3 attacks, very much due for a rise if you ask me.

Katy

Banned deucer.
:volcarona: echoing starry blanket s earlier mention about Volcaronas rise. It cemented itself as one of the best and most defining Pokemon in the metagame currently. its ability to wrap up games in the late-game is really good. quiver dance sets excel so good especially behind dual screens and with teampartners like Serperior, I feel this Pokemon should definitely rise a SubRank, it's a very scary Pokemon not only from team preveir but also on how it excels and puts offensive pressure on most team archetype and after a Quiver Dance-boost it can easily turns games around. There are plenty of SPL replays which show how great this Pokemon is and how dangerous it can be.

:serperior: this Pokemon should also rise up a SubRank. Its great Speed tier and great ability makes it a very effective breaker and annoyer at the same time. Be it its support set with Glare and Substitute with Leaf Storm or the Dual Screen route, this Pokemon is pretty clearly one of the best and most defining Pokemon in ORAS OU. Serperiors usage stats also speak for itself and its winratio is pretty decent.

I would say Volcarona + Serperior should rise a SubRank as they clearly cemented themselves among the best Pokemon in ORAS OU and the trend keeps on going with these two as very great Pokemon.

(sorry, if i worded it poorly btw, but i hope i was able to get my points across - have a great day everyone)

IPF

sundown
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
After a long, long wait, the VR update is finally here! Wanna say thanks to Splash and jonfilch for helping me make the initial slate, and a massive shoutout to Vulpix03 for helping me edit said slate and answering my questions wherever needed.

Rises:
  • :serperior: from B+ to A+: Boasting a mammoth 42% usage and 60% win rate in the recently concluded SPL season, Serperior now finds itself in A+. With fantastic utility in Light Screen and Reflect pioneering the new HO flavour for the year, outclassing Sticky Webs in the metagame and additional access to Glare and Taunt make it the perfect partner for sweepers on Hyper Offensive teams, while also not being too passive with Contrary Leaf Storms being able to apply offensive pressure.
  • :manaphy: from B to A: A staple on Hyper Offense builds in the last year, this rise is well overdue. Both sets, i.e., Tail Glow + 3 attacks, or Tail Glow + 2 attacks + Rest are massive threats under dual screens, especially once you consider Manaphy’s fairly impressive natural bulk, and are able to shred through Balance teams that are unprepared.
  • :volcarona: from B+ to A: The matchup moth has more opportunities than ever before to set up with the advent of Screens offense. Coupled with the ability to tailor its coverage to suit its teammates and the genuine potential to win a game at lead matchup, the move up to A is fully deserved.
  • :latias_mega: from A- to A: With HO finding prominence in the tier, mons that have favourable matchup against it rise in viability as well. BoltBeam coverage with TWave support, as well as the ability to wall /check sweepers on said HO teams and great speed tier makes Mega Latias a top mon in the metagame.
  • :altaria_mega: from B+ to A-: Mega Altaria’s ability to fit on different builds is what prompted this rise. The combination of Altaria+Zone is well known, functioning as a win condition on stall while also providing solid defensive utility and Heal Bell support. It also has the option of running DD + Roost + 2 attacks, a set that has been seen on Screens builds recently.
  • :bisharp: from B+ to A-: Slotting onto Webs and Screens teams as a Defog deterrent, Bisharp remains an incredibly threatening mon in the tier with very few mons being able to switch in to boosted hits. Access to priority in a fast paced metagame adds to its value.
  • :lopunny_mega: from B to A-: Notorious for having good matchup versus HO, Mega Lopunny also sees a rise in this update. Fantastic speed tier along with access to priority in Fake Out and Quick Attack make it a solid pick in a tier that is seeing the use of bulkier mons decline in recent times.
  • :thundurus_therian: from B- to B+: Ranking this mon below its regular form felt wrong, although the speed tier is worse it is still incredibly effective on Hyper Offense builds, with the Nasty Plot 3 attacks set and the Sub NP 2 attacks set being the most common sets used.
  • :diancie_mega: from B to B+: A drop in Mega Metagross usage has benefitted Mega Diancie greatly. Great speed tier and strong offensive capability make it great against offense, thus making it worthy of a raise.
  • :hydreigon: from B to B+: Won’t elaborate on this, BKC explained everything well in his post here.
  • :latias: from B to B+: Provides great role compression on offensive teams, with access to Trick, Healing Wish, Thunder Wave and Defog providing support for its teammates.
  • :slowbro: from UR to B+: Unsure why this mon was missing from the VRs, but Slowbro finds itself in B+. The ability to switch into strong physical attackers such as Mega Metagross and Mega Medicham, spread burn and paralysis and regen off hits makes Slowbro one of the premier physical walls in the tier.
  • :gyarados_mega: from B- to B: Another screen abuser, Mega Gyara’s solid natural bulk and defensive typing allow it to set up behind screens effectively. Mold Breaker also means that it provides a win condition versus stall with HO.
  • :cofagrigus: from C to C+: Cofagrigus finds a nice niche in the tier with its access to TSpikes, a great tool versus HO.

Drops:
  • :gliscor: from S- to A+: Although still a fantastic mon in the tier, the rise of HO has weakened Gliscor’s status and has allowed us to get rid of the accursed S- rank. Gliscor thrived in the previously passive metagame with its SD sets, however now it simply lacks the offensive firepower necessary to threaten screens, often becoming set up fodder for the likes of Manaphy.
  • :metagross_mega: from S- to A+: Not worse, rather fallen out of favour, as evidenced by the drop from 30% usage in SPL XI to 8% usage in SPL XII. Difficult to fit on HO and is generally less effective than other Megas that can take advantage of screens better.
  • :keldeo: from A+ to A: The spike in Serperior usage has hurt what was previously one of the biggest threats in the tier, evidenced by its meek 11% usage in the recently concluded SPL season. Fewer opportunities to come in and throw off hits as well as competition from Manaphy as an offensive water prompted this drop.
  • :skarmory: from A to A-: While not directly worse, the team structures that Skarmory fits well on have fallen out of favour recently, and it is difficult to fit it on other structures.
  • :slowbro_mega: from A to B+: In a metagame that is extremely fast paced, passive win conditions such as Mega Slowbro struggle to get the ball rolling and find fewer set up opportunities than before.
  • :chansey: from A- to B+: Similar to Skarmory, being basically a stall exclusive mon and a momentum drain is a metagame dominated by fast paced teams.
  • :scizor_mega: from A- to B+: With Webs falling off as the premier HO tool and Screens taking over, Mega Scizor finds itself dropping as mons such as Mega Tyranitar are able to abuse this tactic much better.
  • :azumarill: from B+ to B: Simply outclassed by Manaphy as an offensive water that abuses Webs or Screens.
  • :jellicent: from B+ to B: With Keldeo dropping in usage, unsurprisingly Jellicent drops as well. Very little reason to run this mon now.
  • :suicune: from B+ to B: Same as Mega Slowbro.
  • :amoonguss: from B+ to B-: Faces competition from Tangrowth as a defensive grass, finding itself to be a momentum drain and often times deadweight in several matchups.
  • :alomomola: from B to B-: Momentum drain and potential set up fodder in an offensive tier.
  • :heracross_mega: from B to B-: Slow breakers such as Mega Heracross struggle mightily to find opportunities to come in currently.
  • :reuniclus: from B to B-: Similar to Slowbro and Suicune but worse since it doesn't have the potential to spread burn.
  • :starmie: from B to B-: Thoroughly outclassed by Excadrill as a spinner and is significantly worse than other water types in the tier.
  • :slowking: from B- to C+: Almost zero usage and is a massive momentum drain, making it a poor pick for the current metagame.

Obviously, there is a distinct theme for the reasoning of almost every rise and drop. If you believe there is something that was missed, or is unfairly ranked, share your opinions! The community could benefit from being more vocal.

OP will be updated to reflect these changes shortly.

Last edited:
Idk if maybe it was overlooked, or I missed it in the update, but I think Mega Medicham has risen as well in viability, as fakeout breaks turns on screens usage, and medi’s presence threatens a lot of the offensive threats within the tier. This other mon is less common, but Talonflame is also something worthy of being mentioned, as it walls Volcarona and threatens Serperior and other mons that benefit with the screens offensive playstyle. Scarf Rotom is a bit more popular as well to paralyze boosted threats, or apply needed chip while a mon sets up, to gain momentum. Overall though, these changes are definitely solid. Thank you guys for the updates.

Last edited:
Btw this is an idea I need to look into more, but for the last couple of months I figured that Mega Manectric could have some strong usage in the meta. While it lacks fakeout potential, it’s movepool and pivoting paired with its speed tier can provide it with some solid options in the tier. It threatens Serp, Manaphy, Torn, can volt on volcarona to gain momentum, threatens lando and the pursuit threats like tyranitar are seen far fewer (besides mega) within the tier. I could potentially see it making a comeback in the next few months but it’s currently a bit early to tell since it’s also a fairly fragile mon.

S rank should be vacant. Clefable is not better than any of the A+ Pokémon. No Pokémon currently stands out as S rank to me.

Mega Latias and Lopunny are good anti-offense tools in theory but their current rankings might be a bit of a stretch rn, especially in Lopunny’s case. I mainly say this relative to other Megan’s ranked lower than them, so maybe the solution is raising those mons. Mega Charizard-X and Mega Medicham should both rise. They’ve proven to be great mega options lately, especially in light of the offensive trends. Mega Altaria all the way up in A seems a bit odd too, idk. Mega Tyranitar should be the same rank or a subrank below regular Tyranitar. It has proven to be a great option both on hyper offenses and the sand teams that (try to) match up well against them.

BKC’s Hydreigon post had some merit... back when he originally posted it. Not so much now. The current trends hurt it a lot.

Landorus-T is placed criminally low right now. It’s gained a lot more traction again recently, as it is a great utility option on offenses and bulky offenses. Beyond that, it still does Landorus-T things. It just fell off for a bit (relative to its normal usage) because of previous trends. The current trends make it much more valuable. Similarly, the current trends make Garchomp a worse utility Ground option. I think it can drop. Also on the topic of Grounds, Gliscor is not better than Keldeo and the other Pokémon in A rank. I think it should drop too.

Thundurus-T can move up to A- with its offense and Sticky Webs brother Bisharp. Latios can drop to B+ as it really doesn’t fit into the current metagame (or the last like three tbh). Regular Latias is also better than it honestly and could easily rise to B+ or even A-. It’s one of the most useful utility Pokémon on offensive teams thanks to healing wish and also the ability to be a secondary screens setter. Speaking of, I think Jirachi is a good option for this too and could rise a subrank or so.

S rank should be vacant. Clefable is not better than any of the A+ Pokémon. No Pokémon currently stands out as S rank to me.

Mega Latias and Lopunny are good anti-offense tools in theory but their current rankings might be a bit of a stretch rn, especially in Lopunny’s case. I mainly say this relative to other Megan’s ranked lower than them, so maybe the solution is raising those mons. Mega Charizard-X and Mega Medicham should both rise. They’ve proven to be great mega options lately, especially in light of the offensive trends. Mega Altaria all the way up in A seems a bit odd too, idk. Mega Tyranitar should be the same rank or a subrank below regular Tyranitar. It has proven to be a great option both on hyper offenses and the sand teams that (try to) match up well against them.

BKC’s Hydreigon post had some merit... back when he originally posted it. Not so much now. The current trends hurt it a lot.

Landorus-T is placed criminally low right now. It’s gained a lot more traction again recently, as it is a great utility option on offenses and bulky offenses. Beyond that, it still does Landorus-T things. It just fell off for a bit (relative to its normal usage) because of previous trends. The current trends make it much more valuable. Similarly, the current trends make Garchomp a worse utility Ground option. I think it can drop. Also on the topic of Grounds, Gliscor is not better than Keldeo and the other Pokémon in A rank. I think it should drop too.

Thundurus-T can move up to A- with its offense and Sticky Webs brother Bisharp. Latios can drop to B+ as it really doesn’t fit into the current metagame (or the last like three tbh). Regular Latias is also better than it honestly and could easily rise to B+ or even A-. It’s one of the most useful utility Pokémon on offensive teams thanks to healing wish and also the ability to be a secondary screens setter. Speaking of, I think Jirachi is a good option for this too and could rise a subrank or so.
Initially I would agree with you regarding Clef not being in S rank, and at face value, it’s hard to pick S ranks in the current metagame. However, I think a general trio that gains a lot of benefit against a majority of teams would involve Excadrill, Torn-T and Clef. What I mean by this isn’t to say that all three are great against screens, but rather they all facilitate in some manner against most play styles. Torn has always been able to gain momentum in battles, Drill is probably the best hazard removal, and offers support in many ways from sand teams, to supportive moldbreaker variations. Looking ahead into the tier (not just these last couple of months), I could see the meta shifting more defensive, especially with the rise of Mega Lati + Talonflame team variations that benefit facing the screens teams we see today. With that in mind, non setup wallbreakers have also risen, as you mention Medicham being one. If the meta does shift into this approach, clef will linger around A - S rank. I’m sure unaware clef has a couple merits, despite its inability to perform under toxic without wasting a move slot to heal bell, but I tend to think that those three mons help to establish much of the metagame in terms of needing a role filled on a team.

If we’re building to counter a majority of the metagame while maintaining a relevant consistency, you’ll definitely be seeing more Mega Lati, Talon, perhaps Ttar+ Drill sand or mold breaker drill with 3 fillers designed to counter Manaphy, Metagross/phys threats like Medi/Lopunny, and something to gain momentum. During this phase, Medicham still maintains it’s relevancy but so do mons like Mega Gardevoir, and special wallbreakers that make these initial dents into balance teams. I know I’ll probably some disagreements for posting this, but I expect the meta to even out again. (Oh and yeah I agree, Zard-X can be put in a better spot currently, with Gliscor dropping. Mega Diancie’s presence will maintain being a threat with the shifts as both offensive and the Mega Lati + Talon teams are still threatened by it. I could see it lingering around A- rank )

Last edited:

fade

pistol pete
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Championis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
MPL Champion
S Rank
:clefable:
Clefable
:excadrill:
Excadrill

S -
:serperior:
Serperior
:rotom_wash:
Rotom-W
:tornadus-therian:
Tornadus-T

A+
:ferrothorn:
Ferrothorn
Manaphy
:altaria_mega:
Altaria-Mega
:latias_mega:
Latias-Mega
:magnezone:
Magnezone
:volcarona:
Volcarona
:lopunny_mega:
Lopunny-Mega
:gliscor:
Gliscor

A
:diancie_mega:
Diancie-Mega
:heatran:
Heatran
:skarmory:
Skarmory
:weavile:
Weavile
:gastrodon:
Gastrodon
:alakazam_mega:
Alakazam-Mega
:metagross_mega:
Metagross-Mega
:garchomp:
Garchomp
:bisharp:
Bisharp
:medicham_mega:
Medicham-Mega
:keldeo:
Keldeo

A-
:tyranitar-mega:
Tyranitar-Mega
:volcanion:
Volcanion
:slowbro:
Slowbro
:tangrowth:
Tangrowth
:landorus_therian:
Landorus-T
:latias:
Latias
:chansey:
Chansey
:tyranitar:
Tyranitar
:thundurus_therian:
Thundurus-T
:scizor_mega:
Scizor-Mega

B+
:manectric-mega:
Manectric-Mega
:talonflame:
Talonflame
Jellicent
:Pinsir-Mega:
Pinsir-Mega
:Charizard-mega-x:
Charizard-Mega-X
:slowbro_mega:
Slowbro-Mega
:latios:
Latios
:kyurem:
Kyurem
:hydreigon:
Hydreigon
:azumarill:
Azumarill
:thundurus:
Thundurus
:quagsire:
Quagsire
:zapdos:
Zapdos
:Dragonite:
Dragonite

B
:victini:
Victini
:gyarados_mega:
Gyarados-Mega
:alomomola:
Alomomola
:cofagrigus:
Cofagrigus
:terrakion:
Terrakion
:suicune:
Suicune
:Kyurem-Black:
Kyurem-B
:jirachi:
Jirachi
:venusaur-mega:
Venusaur-Mega
:hippowdon:
Hippowdon
:heracross_mega:
Heracross-Mega
:mew:
Mew

B-
:amoonguss:
Amoonguss
:shuckle:
Shuckle
Hoopa
:gyarados:
Gyarados
:gengar:
Gengar
:reuniclus:
Reuniclus
:garchomp-mega:
Garchomp-Mega
:charizard_mega_y:
Charizard-Mega-Y
:crawdaunt:
Crawdaunt
:starmie:
Starmie
:slowking:
Slowking
Blissey
:breloom:
Breloom

S Rank
Clefable
Excadrill

S -
Serperior
Rotom-W
Tornadus-T

A+
Ferrothorn
Manaphy
Altaria-Mega
Latias-Mega
Magnezone
Volcarona
Lopunny-Mega
Gliscor

A
Diancie-Mega
Heatran
Skarmory
Weavile
Gastrodon
Alakazam-Mega
Metagross-Mega
Garchomp
Bisharp
Medicham-Mega
Keldeo

A-
Tyranitar-Mega
Volcanion
Slowbro
Tangrowth
Landorus-T
Latias
Chansey
Tyranitar
Thundurus-T
Scizor-Mega

B+
Manectric-Mega
Talonflame
Jellicent
Pinsir-Mega
Charizard-Mega-X
Slowbro-Mega
Latios
Kyurem
Hydreigon
Azumarill
Thundurus
Quagsire
Zapdos
Dragonite

B
Victini
Gyarados-Mega
Alomomola
Cofagrigus
Terrakion
Suicune
Kyurem-B
Jirachi
Venusaur-Mega
Hippowdon
Heracross-Mega
Mew

B-
Amoonguss
Shuckle
Hoopa
Gyarados
Gengar
Reuniclus
Garchomp-Mega
Charizard-Mega-Y
Crawdaunt
Starmie
Slowking
Blissey
Breloom
I'm pretty late seeing this but you definitely have a solid rank setlist here. I personally think Medi Latias and Diancie are the meta's top 3 megas atm, but they are still all ranked in far better positions than before. After screens I noticed that the metagame felt as though mons that specialized in specific niche roles, such as Medicham's wall breaking potential seemed to excel in many of my games more than my experience with Metagross, along with Diancie's presence thanks to Talonflame + Latias usage rising. I wasn't quite sure what my thoughts initially would be with Altaria since while screens Alt teams are an amazing addition, Diancie's increase helps to keep it in check, although screens Altaria does often run EQ which is helpful, so I can't really argue against A+ rank currently, but I could see it going back and forth between A and A+. I like how S rank is now split between those 5 mons as they are the top established mons within the tier, showing that the tier overall has grown since while we've always had Clef in S rank for obvious reasons, Drill, Torn, Rotom-W and Serp are definitely deserving of S tier status. I'll always be biased towards Torn being S rank, as it's my preferred mon for building most of my teams since it's arguably the best pivot in this gen, but S- is still a strong stable position, and Scarf Rotom has been a great influential tool in checking hyper offense, while also benefiting balance teams as a whole. Great work overall.

Last edited:

iouk

formerly Cucumber God
View attachment 93282
Art by Emrysthemay
OP and format stolen from AM and PK Gaming

Welcome to the official ORAS OU Viability Rankings thread (Ruins of Alph Version v2). In this thread, we as a community will rank every single usable Pokemon into "tiers." In this thread, you're encouraged to post your thoughts and opinions on the various Pokemon that are usable in ORAS OU and what tier they should fall under. Posts in this thread will be taken into account when deciding rank changes.

The general idea of the topic is to rank each OU Pokemon under "rankings" that go in descending order. Since this is a general tier list, everything is lumped together. There won't be any segregation between offense & defense threats.
  • EX: Garchomp can be ranked in A tier as an offensive threat, Ferrothorn can be ranked under A as supportive threat, and Hippowdon can be can also be ranked in B tier as a defensive threat. These are just examples not representative of their future or current ranks.
The Pokemon are individually ranked alphabetically.
S

The best of the best. Reserved for Pokemon who shape and define the OU metagame and are a clear-cut above the rest of the tier. These Pokemon are typically very powerful offensive threats that are difficult to prepare for and/or are phenomenal support and defensive threats that provide significant utility or defensive potential, respectively. Also the home of Pokemon who can easily perform multiple roles effectively, increasing their versatility and unpredictability. If the Pokemon in this rank have any flaws, those flaws are thoroughly mitigated by their substantial strengths.

-----

A

Reserved for Pokemon who can sweep or wall significant portions of the metagame and can perform well against most play styles, but require some support or have some flaws that prevents them from doing this consistently. Supporting Pokemon in this rank may give opponents free turns or cannot create free turns easily themselves, but can still do their job most of the time. Pokemon in this rank are also known to define the play styles they fit on or are easy to add on any given team, while being able to carry their weight nearly every match.

-----

B

Reserved for Pokemon who cannot sweep through or wall significant portions of the metagame, but can properly fulfill a given offensive/defensive niche. Support Pokemon in this category have flaws that prevent them from doing their job, are setup bait for dangerous sweepers, or often give too many free turns. Pokemon who are partially outperformed or struggle with taking on the Pokemon in the A or S Rank, but are otherwise dangerous in their own right and aren't difficult to fit on teams, may also fall into this category.

-----

C

Reserved for Pokemon who can be effective in the right setting, but either have crippling flaws that prevent them from consistently executing their strategy or are completely eclipsed by a Pokemon in the above ranks. Pokemon in this rank typically require more extensive support, struggle performing against the Pokemon ranked above, and are difficult to fit on teams.

ORAS OU Viability Rankings

S Rank
:clefable: Clefable

A Rank

A+ Rank

:excadrill: Excadrill
:ferrothorn: Ferrothorn
:gliscor: Gliscor
:metagross_mega: Metagross-Mega
:rotom_wash: Rotom-W
:serperior: Serperior
:tornadus-therian: Tornadus-T

A Rank
:garchomp: Garchomp
:heatran: Heatran
:keldeo: Keldeo
:latias_mega: Latias-Mega
:magnezone: Magnezone
:manaphy: Manaphy
:tyranitar: Tyranitar
:volcarona: Volcarona

A- Rank
:alakazam_mega: Alakazam-Mega
:altaria_mega: Altaria-Mega
:bisharp: Bisharp
:landorus_therian: Landorus-T
:latios: Latios
:lopunny_mega: Lopunny-Mega
:skarmory: Skarmory
:tangrowth: Tangrowth
:weavile: Weavile

B Rank

B+ Rank
:chansey: Chansey
:charizard_mega_y: Charizard-Mega-Y
:diancie_mega: Diancie-Mega
:gastrodon: Gastrodon
:hydreigon: Hydreigon
:latias: Latias
:medicham_mega: Medicham-Mega
:scizor_mega: Scizor-Mega
:slowbro: Slowbro
:slowbro_mega: Slowbro-Mega
:thundurus: Thundurus
:thundurus_therian: Thundurus-T
:tyranitar-mega: Tyranitar-Mega
:zapdos: Zapdos

B Rank
:azumarill: Azumarill
:Charizard-mega-x: Charizard-Mega-X
:crawdaunt: Crawdaunt
:gyarados_mega: Gyarados-Mega
:Latios-mega: Latios-Mega
:Pinsir-Mega: Pinsir-Mega
:suicune: Suicune
:talonflame: Talonflame

B- Rank
:alomomola: Alomomola
:amoonguss: Amoonguss
:breloom: Breloom
:Dragonite: Dragonite
:heracross_mega: Heracross-Mega
:jirachi: Jirachi
:Kyurem-Black: Kyurem-B
:quagsire: Quagsire
:reuniclus: Reuniclus
:shuckle: Shuckle
:starmie: Starmie
:volcanion: Volcanion

C Rank

C+ Rank

:alakazam: Alakazam
:cofagrigus: Cofagrigus
:gardevoir-mega: Gardevoir-Mega
:gengar: Gengar
:gyarados: Gyarados
:hippowdon: Hippowdon
:kyurem: Kyurem
:mamoswine: Mamoswine
:manectric-mega: Manectric-Mega
:mew: Mew
:slowking: Slowking
:terrakion: Terrakion
:venusaur-mega: Venusaur-Mega

C Rank
:aerodactyl-mega: Aerodactyl-Mega
:diggersby: Diggersby
:gallade-mega: Gallade-Mega
:garchomp-mega: Garchomp-Mega
:seismitoad: Seismitoad
:victini: Victini

C- Rank
:azelf: Azelf
:celebi: Celebi
:dragalge: Dragalge
:empoleon: Empoleon
:kabutops: Kabutops
:kingdra: Kingdra
:klefki: Klefki
:politoed: Politoed
:sharpedo-mega: Sharpedo-Mega
:swampert-mega: Swampert-Mega
:tentacruel: Tentacruel
:togekiss: Togekiss

Rules:
  • Do not suggest changes to the tiering system itself.
  • Post intelligently. Posts like "I think pokemon X should be in this tier" will be deleted.
  • No flaming and being an idiot. You'll get warned if you purposely do. This specifically includes making joke nominations about other users.
  • Usage statistics may be used to support an argument or a claim, but don't base your ENTIRE argument around them. For example, don't just say "Pokemon X shouldn't be this tier because they aren't used that often!"
  • Suspect talk, unrelated stuff, one liners that ask questions that provide no substance, something that doesn't really pertain to rankings or petty arguments about semantics and definitions, such as the definition of a counter as one example, will be deleted.
  • POST REPLAYS FOR NOMINATIONS FROM UNRANKED TO RANKED OR YOUR POST WILL BE DELETED!!
Where is Haxorus? Yea it has a niche usage for sure but there are some teams where his pressure + coverage are absolutely necessary. I think it's at least more viable than Victini.

Where is Haxorus? Yea it has a niche usage for sure but there are some teams where his pressure + coverage are absolutely necessary. I think it's at least more viable than Victini.
Its not unfortunately. In hyper offense i would argue u can make most things with high stats and coverage work but offensive dragons that provide 0 defensively havent been viable in ORAS since ages.
If you were to use a Dragon u would go Mega Altaria, Latios for its offensive and defensive utility or the recently popular Dragonite with Multiscale and similar utilities that Haxorus has. Also if you notice most of these Dragons invest alot in Bulk in various sets, Spdef DD Altaria is one of the best ways offense doesnt get swept by Volcarona and Keldeo immediately, Dragonite has plenty of EVs invested in defensive stats, Garchomp is 80% tankchomp and a bit less than 20% SD 3atks.. they all invest in defense to make use of the resistances the typing provides. Mono Dragon with low defensive stats cant function this way unfortunately. Victini is still good pokemon, the pursuit and stealth rocks weakness kindof makes things worse for it but it can still function v well in the tier owin to its speed, typing and power in specific builds aiming for a non ttar matchup. Finally Final Gambit cheesy HO has seen usage too and has abit of potential in offensive teams.

I feel like kyurem black does everything that haxorous does better, even with the lack of dragon dance it is a much more effective wall breaker and has the excellent ice electric coverage and has some bulk. I agree with Savouras here that victini still has its niche uses due to its huge movepool and all around good stats, reaching a speed tier of 100. It gets powerful offensive stab with blue flare and v create too. It has insane coverage and u turn too.
Haxorous doesnt reach such a speed tier and it is outclassed as a d dancer mega charizard x dragonite (with broken multiscale you just need defog support) and even tyranitar, which have better typings and movepool that allow them to set up more easily. You could argue that haxorous could be used as a choice scarfer, but in that sense it is outclassed by latias, which has healing wish, good bulk, excellent speed tier and draco meteor to boot. (and defog)

S Rank
Clefable
Excadrill

S -
Serperior
Rotom-W
Tornadus-T

A+
Ferrothorn
Manaphy
Altaria-Mega
Latias-Mega
Magnezone
Volcarona
Lopunny-Mega
Gliscor

A
Diancie-Mega
Heatran
Skarmory
Weavile
Gastrodon
Alakazam-Mega
Metagross-Mega
Garchomp
Bisharp
Medicham-Mega
Keldeo

A-
Tyranitar-Mega
Volcanion
Slowbro
Tangrowth
Landorus-T
Latias
Chansey
Tyranitar
Thundurus-T
Scizor-Mega

B+
Manectric-Mega
Talonflame
Jellicent
Pinsir-Mega
Charizard-Mega-X
Slowbro-Mega
Latios
Kyurem
Hydreigon
Azumarill
Thundurus
Quagsire
Zapdos
Dragonite

B
Victini
Gyarados-Mega
Alomomola
Cofagrigus
Terrakion
Suicune
Kyurem-B
Jirachi
Venusaur-Mega
Hippowdon
Heracross-Mega
Mew

B-
Amoonguss
Shuckle
Hoopa
Gyarados
Gengar
Reuniclus
Garchomp-Mega
Charizard-Mega-Y
Crawdaunt
Starmie
Slowking
Blissey
Breloom
This is a very solid list that i mostly agree with. Here are the few i disagree with:
Victini from B to B-
Sure victini has the excellent movepool, good speed tier u turn etc. but it has weakness to stealth rock and pursuit and could do nothing against tyrnaitar, one of the better pokemon of the tier. It also usually gets stuffed by heatran. Sure it has its niche but i feel it is a very small one.

Mega Charizard Y from B- to B+
Ok this might be a bold statement but i feel mega charizard y isnt that bad. Sure it has the terrible 4 times stealth rock weakness but keeping rocks off the field is worth it for this monster. Fire blast does mind boggling amounts of damage in sun and has excellent coverage in focus blast for ttar and solar beam for waters in sun. It has the prized 100 speed tier. Additonally, defoggers in lati twins could function well along side it and you could make agressive double switches into charizard Y to avoid getting pursuit trapped (or defiant boosted from defog) by bisharp. It is a high maintenace pokemon but it works very well when played correctly.

Jellicent from B+ to B:
Other than stuffing volcorna and keldeo (although not completely). It doesnt have any other niche. Its special defensive profile is not enough to make it work against the pursuit trappers running around. It also is set up father for mega charizard X and struggles with serperior. It is solid in the metagame and is a great pick, but it is too flawed to stay in the B+ tier with monsters like latios dragonite and zapdos.
Mega Alakazam from A to A-
This thing has no bulk and could only come in on pivot moves. It depends on focus blast to deal with pursuit trappers (super unreliable). It also loses magic guard when it becomes mega so it would be worn down by hazards when it switches in. t struggles against fast scarfers and revenge killers. It is basically the definition of a glass cannon, a unreliable glass cannon of that. It also loses to all physical pirority. Despite having a insane speed tier, its flaws justify a lower ranking

THATS IT
Thank you for coming to my ted talk

iouk

formerly Cucumber God
I feel like kyurem black does everything that haxorous does better, even with the lack of dragon dance it is a much more effective wall breaker and has the excellent ice electric coverage and has some bulk. I agree with Savouras here that victini still has its niche uses due to its huge movepool and all around good stats, reaching a speed tier of 100. It gets powerful offensive stab with blue flare and v create too. It has insane coverage and u turn too.
Haxorous doesnt reach such a speed tier and it is outclassed as a d dancer mega charizard x dragonite (with broken multiscale you just need defog support) and even tyranitar, which have better typings and movepool that allow them to set up more easily. You could argue that haxorous could be used as a choice scarfer, but in that sense it is outclassed by latias, which has healing wish, good bulk, excellent speed tier and draco meteor to boot. (and defog)
Ignoring the fact that a +1 DD Haxorus can OHKO most dragons, clefable, rotom-w, and many other problem pokemon once it gets set up properly. Mold breaker EQ is extremely useful with the +1 speed and the +1 attack on top of an already nice attack stat and great coverage I think makes it useful

Ignoring the fact that a +1 DD Haxorus can OHKO most dragons, clefable, rotom-w, and many other problem pokemon once it gets set up properly. Mold breaker EQ is extremely useful with the +1 speed and the +1 attack on top of an already nice attack stat and great coverage I think makes it useful
I guess it does have a place in the bottom of the viability rankings. However, victini has a place too. Let them share B- together

S

Mega Medicham

A+

Tornadus-T
Excadrill
Serperior
Clefable
Volcarona

A

Mega Latias
Ferrothorn
Rotom-Wash
Manaphy
Garchomp
Keldeo
Mega Altaria
Bisharp
Mega Lopunny
Magnezone
Gliscor
Mega Diancie
Latias
Mega Metagross

A-

Heatran
Mega Alakazam
Weavile
Slowbro
Talonflame
Mega Tyranitar
Zapdos
Tyranitar
Latios
Tangrowth
Landorus-T

B+

Mega Gyarados
Starmie
Amoonguss
Mega Manectric
Skarmory
Gastrodon
Suicune
Volcanion
Thundurus-T
Scizor Mega
Jellicent
Mega Pinsir

B

Mega Slowbro
Chansey
Hydreigon
Azumarill
Thundurus
Charizard X
Kyurem
Cofagrigus
Quagsire
Dragonite
Kyurem-B
Jirachi
Shuckle

B-

Charizard Y
Crawdaunt
Mega Venusaur
Hippowdon
Mega Heracross
Mew
Slowking
Alomomola
Hoopa
Reuniclus
Garchomp Mega
Victini
Gyarados
Gengar
Breloom
Blissey

Vulpix03

is a Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
RUPL Champion
Just an update on the viability rankings.

We are going to update the vrs after spl. Spl is always the time where we see the biggest shifts in the meta so we are waiting for that.

We will be asking a lot of people to rank to try and get the most unbiased rankings we can. After this revamp of the vrs is done we will be creating a vr council that will vote on nominations biannually. So if you don't agree with a ranking of a mon feel free to nom it and explain why you think it should be changed and the council, when it comes into existence, will vote.

Just wanted to let y'all know!

S (in order from S to A-)
:clefable: clefable
:excadrill: excadrill

S-
:Tornadus-Therian: Tornadus Therian
:Rotom-Wash: Rotom Wash
:Serperior: Serperior

A+
:Bisharp: Bisharp
:Volcarona: Volcarona
:Metagross-Mega: Metagross-Mega
:Keldeo: Keldeo
:Tyranitar: Tyranitar
:Ferrothorn: Ferrothorn
:Manaphy: Manaphy
:Garchomp: Garchomp
:Latias: Latias
A
:Scizor-Mega: Scizor-Mega
:Landorus-Therian: Landorus-Therian
:Heatran: Heatran
:Gliscor: Gliscor
:Latios: Latios
:Tangrowth: Tangrowth
:Lopunny-Mega: Lopunny-Mega
A-
:Medicham-Mega: Medicham-Mega
:Zapdos: Zapdos
:Talonflame: Talonflame
:Latias-Mega: Latias-Mega
:Weavile: Weavile
:Slowbro: Slowbro
:Skarmory: Skarmory
:Manectric-Mega: Manectric-Mega
B+
:Alakazam-Mega: Alakazam-Mega
:Starmie: Starmie
:Tyranitar-Mega: Tyranitar-Mega
:Jirachi: Jirachi
:Slowbro-Mega: Slowbro-Mega
:Magnezone: Magnezone
:Gardevoir-Mega: Gardevoir-Mega
:Charizard-Mega-X: Charizard-Mega-X
:Amoonguss: Amoonguss
:Gyarados-Mega: Gyarados-Mega
:Latios-Mega: Latios-Mega (NOOO I BETRAYED YOU)
:Breloom: Breloom
:Shuckle: Shuckle
B
:Mew: Mew
:Gyarados-Mega: Gyarados-Mega
:Diancie-Mega: Diancie Mega
:Charizard-Mega-Y: Charizard Mega Y
:Dragonite: Dragonite (I don’t believe in u)
:Chansey: Chansey
:Quagsire: Quagsire (WOOPER GANG)
:Scizor: Scizor
:Volcanion: Volcanion
:Azelf: Azelf
:Jellicent: Jellicent
B-(this is huge)
:Victini: Victini
:Haxorus: Haxorus (as requested)
:Kyurem: Kyurem
:Kyurem-Black: Kyurem-Black
:Thundurus: Thundurus
:Salamence: Salamence
:Heracross-Mega: Mega Heracross
:Slowking: Slowking
:Gengar: Gengar
:Hippowdon: Hippodown
:Garchomp-Mega: Garchomp-Mega
:Mamoswine: Mamoswine
:Pinsir-Mega: Pinsir-Mega
:Raikou: Raikou (YESSSSS)
:Reuniclus: Reuniclus
:Hydreigon: Hydreigon
:Gligar: Gligar
:Gyarados: Gyarados
:Klefki: Klefki
:Swampert-Mega: Swampert-Mega
:Alomomola: Alomomola

Last edited:
So, I decided to give this thing a shot, forgive me for any terrible takes you are about to see w/ my experience.
Also, Don't mind the order too much.

S -

:Excadrill: Excadrill
:Clefable: Clefable
:Tornadus-Therian: Tornadus-Therian

A+ -
:Rotom-Wash: Rotom-Wash
:Latias-Mega: Mega Latias
:Altaria-Mega: Mega Altaria
:Medicham-Mega: Mega Medicham

A -
:Lopunny-Mega: Mega Lopunny
:Diancie-Mega: Mega Diancie
:Metagross-Mega: Mega Metagross
:Scizor-Mega: Mega Scizor

A- -
:Alakazam-Mega: Mega Alakazam

B+
:Manectric-Mega: Mega Manectric
:Gyarados-Mega: Mega Gyarados
:Tyranitar-Mega: Mega Tyranitar
:Thundurus-Therian: Thundurus Therian
:Slowbro-Mega: Slowbro Mega
:Hoopa: Hoopa

B
:Kyurem: Kyurem
:Azumarill: Azumarill
:Mew: Mew
:Quagsire: Quagsire
:Suicune: Suicune
:Gardevoir-Mega: Gardevoir Mega
:Victini: Victini(Totally no bias here, TRUST)
:Charizard-Mega-Y: Charizard Mega Y
:Charizard-Mega-X: Charizard Mega X
:Pinsir-Mega: Pinsir Mega

.... Yeah I'm not sure where I'd rank the rest of the more 'niche' mons. This is about as far as I could take it

Last edited:
Here is my shitty opinion that no one asked for

A+
:Excadrill: Excadrill
:Tornadus-Therian: Tornadus-Therian
:Rotom-Wash: Rotom-Wash
:Metagross-Mega: Mega Metagross
:Clefable: Clefable

A
:Diancie-Mega: Mega Diancie
:Lopunny-Mega: Mega Lopunny
:Hippowdon: Hippowdon
:Altaria-Mega: Mega Altaria

A-
:Latias-Mega: Mega Latias
:Alakazam-Mega: Mega Alakazam
:Manectric-Mega: Mega Manectric
:Scizor-Mega: Mega Scizor

B+
:Medicham-Mega: Mega Medicham
:Gardevoir-Mega: Mega Gardevoir
:Charizard-Mega-Y: Mega Charizard Y
:Charizard-Mega-X: Mega Charizard X
:mew: Mew
:Azumarill: Azumarill
:Slowbro-Mega: Mega Slowbro
:Suicune: Suicune
:Gyarados-Mega: Mega Gyarados
:Cofagrigus: Cofagrigus
:Slowking: Slowking

B
:Aerodactyl-Mega: Mega Aerodactyl
:Gengar: Gengar
:Empoleon: Empoleon
:Infernape: Infernape
:Pinsir-Mega: Mega Pinsir
:Victini: Victini
:Quagsire: Quagsire
:Crawdaunt: Crawdaunt
:Terrakion: Terrakion
:Thundurus-Therian: Thundurus-Therian
:Reuniclus: Reuniclus

B-
:Azelf: Azelf
:Garchomp-Mega: Mega Garchomp
:Gallade-Mega: Mega Gallade
:Conkeldurr: Conkeldurr
:Diggersby: Diggersby
:Pidgeot-Mega: Mega Pidgeot
:Zygarde: Zygarde
:Hawlucha: Hawlucha
:Chesnaught: Chesnaught
:Alomomola: Alomomola
:Heracross-Mega: Mega Heracross
:Klefki: Klefki
:Latios-Mega: Mega Latios
:Swampert-Mega: Mega Swampert
:Venusaur-Mega: Mega Venusaur

C+
:Mamoswine: Mamoswine
:Sceptile-Mega: Mega Sceptile
:Absol-Mega: Mega Absol
:Sylveon: Sylveon
:Umbreon: Umbreon
:Toxicroak: Toxicroak
:Aggron-Mega: Mega Aggron

Last edited:
Greetings ORAS Community and all interested lurkers seeing this

Spl4sh and me created a new and comprehensive Viability Ranking List on Tiermaker for everyone to use!
With ORASPL being over and, more importantly, ORAS Invitational being in it's final stages (top 3, join the server to not miss the final bo5 money matches!) there will also be a general Viability Ranking Update factoring in everyones tierlists, especially those of proven and successful tournament players.

As for the tierlist we encourage everyone to post their lists as well as thoughts and explanations on your personal takes. Feel free to change up your list-order to better visualize your own understanding of the tier, the arrangement given is just an example of how the list could look like.
We made sure to include some niche-pokemon even if seemingly not worth playing since opinions tend to vary strongly among the oras players on specific lesser-used pokemon. Make sure to also rank the pokemon within the ranks (best to worst within a rank).

Enjoy the new, comprehensive (and good looking) list: https://tiermaker.com/create/oras-ou-viability-ranking---comprehensive-tierlist-15476808

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)