Resource ORAS OU Teambuilding Competition - Revived! (21st Round Voting on post #414 - Absorbing Abilities)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mega Manectric Mew Spikes

:xy/manectric-mega::xy/excadrill::xy/tornadus-therian::xy/ferrothorn::xy/mew::xy/jellicent:

On Mew: Honestly, I really like Mew. Full SpD makes it a nice blanket check vs. special threats particularly mega diancie. PhysDef makes it a nice blanket check vs. physical attackers. One of the few pokemons that can counter medicham long-term. Unfortuantely, it has a severe 4MSS. Usually when I slap it on a team it's acting as a compression role glue with either defog or rocks. This time I wanted to build an entire team dedicated to the stallbreaker set, as it is super annoying to deal with for any team that isn't HO. PhysDef for medicham + speedy to taunt tank chomp and outspeed bisharp and a good amount of bulky excas. Knock off for crippling its usual switchins such as rotom-w/tornadus-t/heatran/clefable.

On Manectric: Since Mew is a solid and fast taunt user, I wanted to build spikes. I've also been wanting to build around Mega Manectric recently. It takes advantage vs. common balance builds that rely on exca/lando-t/chomp as their elec immunity. Unless max/max excadrill, it's a very high roll to 2HKO w/ flamethrower. But with spikes putting a lot of pressure + rocky helmet ferro + Jellicent in the back excadrill is going to be overwhelmed quite easily actually. And then the teams crumble. Also Manectric is insanely good vs. HO. Outspeeds serprior and checks manaphy, scizor, and thundurus.

Team: Jellicent is SpD for mega diancie but enough defence for diamond storm and bulky exca. Toxic + Scald so that it can actually 1v1 mega diancie and volcanion instead of just sitting there. Jellicent also serves as a second taunt user to maximize spikes pressure. Ferro is t-wave for clef/heatran/zard/volcarona switchins. Torn-t is superpower to whiddle heatran and smack down to serve as a volcarona check alongside jellicent.

Threats: Weavile is probably the most noteworthy threat. Keep ferro healthy for weavile, rocks up, and evolve manectric as early as possible. Mega Zam can be played around with but it's always a looming threat.

Tips: Calc lopunny damage. If adamant manectric outspeeds which is huge.

Mew stall

:sm/mew: :sm/venusaur-mega: :sm/skarmory: :sm/clefable: :sm/chansey: :sm/quagsire:
teampaste : https://pokepast.es/d1606cc576f57158

Team description : I was thinking to use mew on stall because it have ton of status move that can be useful on stall such as heal bell, defog, stealth rock and taunt. I decide to use stall breaker set on this team. Im not stall lover so i just use tdk stall as example and build this team under few minutes. The difference between this team and sample team is my team have mew over magnezone. Mew enable this team to have a good switching to mega medicham and ability to win against another stall. My main target when building this team is basically grabbing win against most stall and balance team. For mew ev spread, i just use 32 speed ev to be faster than max speed adamant bisharp and max speed jolly tyranitar and the rest in hp/defense ev. I run flamethrower on clefable to punish exca on switching.

another option :
1) you can run leftovers on mew but in my opinion colbur is better because you can wisp dark type such as weavile and bisharp.
2) knock off on clefable over flamethrower because it also able to punish exca on switchin
3) rocky helmet on skarmory because excadrill get chipped when spinning.

Edit : mew using seismic toss over psychic because it have more pp and better damage against bulky psychic type and chansey

Last edited:
1674931983090.gif
1674931687881.gif
1674931804071.gif
1674931822538.gif
1674931848600.gif
1674931869800.gif

The paste
Honestly, l really hate mew. That pink looks awful and it is so stupidly weak to weavile. But even so, its niche isn’t so bad and it can truly fuck many fat or stall teams. The only thing is that my team had to be ready against weavile and l feel like it’s the case now.
So l put a wallbreaker set on mew, because l feel like it’s the best mew set and it’s really a good option when you await some stall.
Then l thought about scizor, because l hate weavile and even more if l have a mew. It can also take alakazam, metagross and some other stuff that could be annoying, while giving power and momentum with that actual set, which is pretty cool in the actual team.
I was going to put excadrill (before deleting it so l could copy paste a spread) because that core really hates hazard and then with the presence of elecs and rona, the idea of tyranitar come in my mind. Also give some more speed with sand rush for late game and rk some stuff, which is pretty helpful here. The spread is from the first team that amir posted here and l let fire blast, because ferrothorn is kinda annoying.
While the god damn elecs forced me to put a tyranitar, l also thought that thundurus would be a god damn chad here. The fast para truly helping, the speed that helps to rk some stuff outside of sand and how it can help against waters. I just put thunderbolt, because sometimes it’s better and also because l don’t need more pivot here anyway. Fast zapdos (enough speed to outspeed every drill or lando l suppose) also could be an interesting option, if you trust on static.
I thought that zor, twave thundurus and tyranitar weren’t enough against weavile, so l put a keldeo to help even more totally wasn’t because l needed a water resistance. Also helps to break stuff and against bisharp. I put modest and focus, because many 100s base speed are now modest or adamant (like medicham or manaphy) and also because it’s so god damn underrated like that. I mean focus can ohko everyone that thinks volcanion, tangrowth or rotom are enough against keldeo (smh). Focus can also ohko mega metagross, manaphy (which makes it a decent check to modest manaphy actually) and give a hard time to slowbro or tornadus therian.
Finally finished with the classic drill, because l truly needed a spinner here and the sand rush variant pair well with keldeo and mega scizor. Subsitute because l don’t feel like l need more status here and the spread takes three hp fire of magnezone after rocks. You can add some ev to also take knock from weavile, but l don’t feel like its needed here and l like having more attack on sand rush drill.

MrAldo

Hey
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
And lets move on! With 5 votes h4g team has won this round! Congratulations, it will added to the hall of fame at some point in time!

Lets move on to the next round!

Making the Earth Tremble
/

What does this 2 have in common? Well, they have staples on plenty of stages on the history of the ORAS OU metagame, but mainly due to their defensive merits. However, this time we are going to do something different, this round will consist of building a team with either Garchomp or Landorus-Therian using Offensive sets for them only. Any type of setup set, mixed, whatever. Let your imagination run wild. Excadrill isnt added to this round for obvious reasons, it is very omnipresent at this point.

Remember, building a team with either Garchomp or Landorus-Therian using Offensive sets for them only.

Round will end around next Friday 3rd or Saturday 4th at 11:59 PM GMT -5. Best of luck!

Make a quick team : https://pokepast.es/75ef793c3d64b9d3

Ight , here s the team description : I was thinking what re the most viable gravity user and in my opinion, mega alakazam is the best Pokémon with gravity. It only really need 3 move so using gravity as 4th slot doesn't seems like a bad choice. Second Pokémon , im using choice band landorus as abuser for gravity. CB Landorus is pretty powerful wallbreaker and hard to switch into. Landorus provide knock off which can be useful to remove leftovers from clefable, hippowdon and assault vest from tornadus which is good for mega alakazam. The third Pokemon , im picking another gravity abuser which is choice scarf excadrill. This pokemon can clean end game with the help of Landorus and provide hazard removal.

For defensive core , I'm going with clefable, tornadus and volcanion. This 3 is pretty good against current meta. This defensive core is weak against Choice band tyranitar notably but with the help of excadrill and landorus, you probably could play around choice band Tyranitar.

Tech :
1) explosion is nice lure for tangrowth which can help scarf excadrill clean endgame.
2) knock off on clefable is mainly to helps against excadrill but it also helps to remove AV from tornadus which can help alakazam to clean endgame.

Threat :
1) gliscor with SD looks hard to kill
2) cofagrigus could be annoying because it setup toxic spike since the team hazard removal is excadrill.
3) charizard y looks painful to switch into.

Last edited:
Double Dance Lando-T Screens

:xy/serperior::xy/bisharp::xy/landorus-therian::xy/manaphy::xy/altaria-mega::xy/latias:

Usually lando is lead and bisharp is in the back, but not on this team. Inner focus bisharp w/ sucker punch ensures rocks against lead mega lop weavile and lead excadrill (v common leads vs. HO w/ lando), but also gets decent chunk w/ sucker punch before it dies. If opponent has mega diancie or imprison lando-t, lead serp (but probably wont lead diancie vs. HO w/ lando).

This lando set is straight from the recommended smogon set. W/ soft sand you one shot clef, and do ~90% to cofag/tank chomp. Manaphy is tail glow psychic to snipe mega venusaur to allow Mega Altaria to break. I'm sure there's probably a good speed/bulk checkpoints for manaphy and lando-t but tbh sometimes simple EVs is best. Mega altaria EVs outspeed weavile, and HP so that cofag Hex doesn't break sub even without screens. Cofag needs 2 hex to break sub. Important so that cofag can be set up on and killed w/ eq instead of frustration

:Landorus-Therian: :Metagross-Mega: :Tornadus-Therian: :Excadrill: :Rotom-Wash: :Clefable:

Vanilla-esque team featuring scarf garfield for utility, technically this team is incomplete since I think its better the player themselves decide on what they think the last two moves on m-gross should be, thunder punch/bullet punch would be my picks, but anything works here imo. The rest was just a really generic good-stuffs core that can benefit from the lando-t giving a sense of speed control vs noteworthy threats such as mega-alakazam or just appreciated u-turn support. Life orb Clef is a pretty cool tech here considering we have rotom-wash here as a primary physical wall meaning clef can take a little bit of a backseat and give the team a greater offensive presence which this team otherwise lacks.

I promised myself I'd make it bulk-up but I couldn't think of anything and made this last minute, its not flashy, but I promise you its reliable at what it does

MrAldo

Hey
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Not much of an issue if I participate in my own thread, right?

Team built around sub sd salac chomp. I loved the concept of this set since it can turn chomp into a pretty potent cleaner given the scenario. Essentially the main idea is capitalize through that in the form of taking advantage of pursuit. We all hate weavile and pursuit and getting stuff trapped so the idea is making the best use possible of predicting a pursuit right or getting a knock play right or simply getting the best possible mileage of a tornadus sack. Thats why we are pairing chomp with mega gyarados, sharing great offensive with garchomp given they can overwhelm common checks so one of the 2 is gonna capitalize on a pursuit play.

From there the rest of the team is pretty standard to cover most of the meta as much as possible with clefable + excadrill + rotom-wash basically holding the team together from a multitude of things. Max defense clef works against mega lopunny just enough. Toxic Excadrill is great to catch cofagrigus and zapdos which is quite the annoyance and from there your end game is gonna be always trying to get in position with either of these 2 pretty straightforward.

I understand the meta atm heavily appreciate the perks of defensive chomp much more but chomp sets like this are extremely underrated and should be much more use. Stuff like mega meta is gonna be a bitch but sometimes you gotta man up and make some plays fr fr

Cheers!

Amir

Banned deucer.
:Landorus-Therian: :Metagross-Mega: :Tornadus-Therian: :Excadrill: :Rotom-Wash: :Clefable:

Vanilla-esque team featuring scarf garfield for utility, technically this team is incomplete since I think its better the player themselves decide on what they think the last two moves on m-gross should be, thunder punch/bullet punch would be my picks, but anything works here imo. The rest was just a really generic good-stuffs core that can benefit from the lando-t giving a sense of speed control vs noteworthy threats such as mega-alakazam or just appreciated u-turn support. Life orb Clef is a pretty cool tech here considering we have rotom-wash here as a primary physical wall meaning clef can take a little bit of a backseat and give the team a greater offensive presence which this team otherwise lacks.

I promised myself I'd make it bulk-up but I couldn't think of anything and made this last minute, its not flashy, but I promise you its reliable at what it does
Hey Ithi, just wanted to point out your Metagross has two moves.
Edit: Just read the post.

Amir

Banned deucer.
Sludge Wave Plate Landorus-Therian + Dual Bunny core.

Offensive Landorus-Therian alongside Magnezone provides an amazing volt turn core which allows you to pivot in and out vs the common Landorus switch in (Skarmory, Tangrowth, Slowbro, Zapdos, Rotom-Wash, etc.).
I added Kyurem in order to take advantage of Lando pivoting out vs flying and bulky waters such as Zapdos, and Torn-T and grant a free substitute before snowballing with metronome Ice Beams. It also had excellent synergy with Magnezone which checks the many steel types in the tier; Ferrothorn, Mega Scizor, and Mega Metagross.
You may also be thinking at this point, why do you have Sludge Wave on Landorus-Therian if you got a kyurem in the back? The answer was to catch Tangrowth off guard and 2HKO it on the switch, in addition to avoiding unnecessary rocky helmet damage which may occur by simply knocking off + u-turn into sacking something to Tangrowth's sleep powder.
Plus imagine the Tangrowth player's reaction, after pivoting their Tangrowth on the unexpected sludge wave to see it lose 60% of its HP, allowing you to follow up with a U-turn or earthquake on their response.
Now Tangrowth is out of the picture, I wanted something to take advantage of teams after losing their defensive steel types, such as Skarmory, Mega Scizor and Ferrothorn, while also having an answer to Volcarona, so Azumarill was added for fulfilling both as a breaker and a pivot, I didn't like Belly Drum due to the MU vs Unaware pokemon on stall (which fall apart after they lose skarmory btw). Excadrill was added as I needed a rocker since I am running offensive 4 Attack Lando-T and hazard removal to keep the team together, I wonder what pokemon could simply fulfil both roles, oh yeah the pokemon that is S+ tier for a reason, Excadrill, which also forms a ground spam team which appreciates Skarmory removed from the field, I went with Toxic variant as I have enough pressure for CM Clefable thanks to Earth Plate Lando-T, CB Azumarill, and Magnezone, Toxic allows to improve the MU vs Zapdos greatly, which helps out both Lando-T and Azumarill and makes sure rocks stay up on the field, it can force Zapdos to roost when it gets low due to the combination of Stealth Rock spam + Toxic stacking up damage over time. Finally I added Lopunny, which loves how the offensive core of Lando-T and Azumarill pressuring Clefable, Slowbro, Tangrowth, etc. It gives me some speed control and well tbh the last move here can be interchangeable between Encore, quick attack, healing wish, and heal bell, depending on your taste. I went with Encore as I like to have multiple tools in my asset which makes things difficult for my opponent as well as maintain offensive pressure.
As for threats, I'd say be careful of Mega Alakazam, Mega Lopunny and Mega Diancie which are all manageable but require some good pivoting and foreseeing future turns to avoid putting yourself in awkward positions

0- SpA Landorus-Therian Sludge Wave vs. 244 HP / 48 SpD Tangrowth: 204-242 (50.7 - 60.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Earth Plate Landorus-Therian Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 157-186 (39.8 - 47.2%) -- 43.4% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Diancie-Mega Moonblast vs. 56 HP / 136 SpD Kyurem: 342-404 (84.4 - 99.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
68 SpA Zapdos Heat Wave vs. 128 HP / 244+ SpD Excadrill: 168-198 (42.7 - 50.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Metagross-Mega Earthquake vs. 128 HP / 68 Def Excadrill: 322-380 (81.9 - 96.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Chomping teams for breakfast!

First I wanted to build around some Earth Plate SD Lando but after some time I gave Garchomp a chance because it a) has better speed to outrun Mons like Manaphy or M. Zard Y without having to use Rock Polish (like Lando) and b) doesnt rely on Stone Edge to hit ground immunities. Many ppl expect some sort of Tank Chomp nowadays so SD can catch some off guard when its maybe too late since their Clef might not tank a +2 EQ (see calcs). Fire Fang is almost mandatory as it allows Chomp to just melt through M. Sciz, Skarm and Ferro and while LO hurts Chomps longevity it is needed for some KOs.

I figured that M. Meta might be a perfect partner for that Chomp set as its able to check faster Dragons and Fairy-types. Now the idea for this team is to break through the opposing team with Chomp and Serp so M. Meta can clean up later on (Chomp and Serp lure Mons that usually answer
M. Meta like Slowbro, Tang, Skarm or M. Sciz). Many ppl drop Meteor Mash for coverage but I think its nice to have on this team to actually KO Clef and random Attack boosts can come in clutch. BoltBeam coverage is nice to hit bulky Water-types, Dragons and the infamous quad ice weak Mons like Gliscor, Lando etc. Bullet Punch is just amazing for M. Meta to avoid risking speed tie with M. Diancie or low HP Lati, to pick up weakened Mons and elude Weavile Pursuit.

Since Chomp doesnt carry Rocks, I had to put it somewhere else. Rocks M. Meta would be a waste for that it already struggles to fit everything in 4 move slots so I decided to put them on Clef. Well with Exca being the most common spinner this seems to be self-defeating and while that is true there are ways to take advantage from it. Chomp can come in on a spin and turn tables around (same for Serp) and Torn is able to scare Exca out with Heat Wave or Knock and gain momentum with U-Turn. So you have to play around the obvious Exca on Clef to spin and try to swing momentum back to your side. Now Clef provides a lot of support here in general with Rocks and yellow magic as well. Paralysis can really win you the game and also slows down threats that usually outspeed Chomp, M. Meta or Serp (M. Zam, Lati, M. Lop, Torn etc.). I prefer Flamethrower here over Knock or Moonblast so Exca cant always come in for free and to avoid giving free set up to M. Sciz.

Rotom pairs extremely well with the rest of the team because it checks Fire-types like Talon or Tran as well as Birds. Its ability to tank hits and spread burns are more often than not handy and we cannot forget how great it is at grabbing momentum together with Torn. Amazing how Rotom always does the same yet its always so effective and acts as a sort of glue to this team that holds everything together.

The next Mon here is -to no ones surprise- Torn as it provides utility with Knock and U-Turn and also checks some special attacker like M. Zam, oppoing Serp, Keld etc. Its all pretty self explanatory outside of Smack Down. Well I am really scared of Volc and M. Zard Y just ripping this team apart (I am aware that Smack Down doesnt come close to KOing Volc but better to have than Hurricane accuracy vs +1 Volc).

Serp can also deal massive DMG to the opposing team so that Chomp or M. Meta are able to clean up later. In addition to that Glare cripples common switch ins like Torn or Lati (so Chomp can again outspeed later on). All the other Mons just appreciate Serp taking on bulky Water-types and "luring" Steel-types (altough everyone knows that it is likely for Serp to have HP Fire). Taunt is a cool tech vs Volc so it cant just set up on your face when you dont have HP Rock (and HP Fire is just so much more needed) because if Volc has Lum Berry Glare wont do anything. Last move doesnt matter most of the time anyways since you are going to spam Leaf Storm or Glare anyways and Taunt can stop random status moves but if you want you can also run Knock or Sub.

Threat list: Volc and Thundy are scary but its fine as long as u avoid weird positions where they get free set up, M. Diancie can claim KOs if brought on the right Mon but M. Meta or Serp can always just revenge kill, offensive M. Scizor is a big threat since its no Tank Chomp and it outspeeds Rotom and M. Manectric can clean up easily if everything is chipped (outside of Clef) so be careful nothing outruns it on this team and BP is resisted.

+2 252 Atk Life Orb Garchomp Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 374-441 (94.9 - 111.9%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Garchomp Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 176+ Def Slowbro: 304-359 (77.1 - 91.1%) -- 25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Garchomp Fire Fang vs. 244 HP / 216+ Def Tangrowth: 234-276 (58.2 - 68.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Garchomp Dragon Claw vs. 252 HP / 248+ Def Rotom-Wash: 234-277 (76.9 - 91.1%) -- 25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
40 Atk Mold Breaker Excadrill Iron Head vs. 64 HP / 0 Def Serperior: 120-142 (39 - 46.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Manectric-Mega Flamethrower vs. 64 HP / 0 SpD Serperior: 212-250 (69 - 81.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)