Resource ORAS OU Teambuilding Competition - Revived! (21st Round Voting on post #414 - Absorbing Abilities)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrAldo

Hey
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Alright people, lets move on, right now dont see a sudden surge of votes happening so lets point this out this week winner.

Team 3 by Amir has won this round! Congratulations, will be added on the hall of fame shortly.

And with that lets move on to the next round!

Swords of Justice
/
/
/

Build a team using 1 of the Swords of Justice on the teams that uses the best of its capabilities. Since building with Keldeo and Terrakion proves an easier task all things considered, but lets see if people can work with Cobalion and Virizion for something good!

The submission slate will last until Friday 13th at 11:59 PM GMT -5

Remember to always have fun, and cheers!

COBALION + SCOLIPEDE OFFENSE

:sm/cobalion: :sm/manaphy: :sm/gyarados-mega: :sm/landorus-therian: :sm/latias: :sm/scolipede:
The team : https://pokepast.es/c8f1db31f2ba5ef4

Teambuilding process :

I was thinking to build cobalion for this week because i remember lost twice against some high ladder guy that use cobalion offense team. The idea for this team is basically cobalion bait ground type + bulky water because iron head+cc walled by ground type (landorus/garchomp/gliscor) or bulky water (slowbro/alomomola/volcanion). Im using taunt for cobalion because it able to avoid status from rotom-wash and tangrowth which are annoying for this team to face. The second and third member is basically is pokemon that able to setup infront of bulky ground type and bulky water (manaphy and mega gyarados) , manaphy mainly take advantage of bulky ground (garchomp/landorus/gliscor) and mega gyarados able to take advantage of bulky water pokemon (slowbro/alomomola/volcanion). The fourth pokemon im thinking of something that can stop mega lopunny. My option are mainly garchomp,landorus because they fit in offense team pace, im leaning toward landorus more because i dont need fire resist as i already have double water offensive mon and landorus have ground immunity,intimidate,uturn and knock off. Im picking latias as 5th member because it offer healing wish and defog support which is valuable for offense team. The 6th member is scolipede because it s cool mon and it also able to bait ground type, help against serperior and able to absorb toxic spike. Feels free to critic in here or in discord.

Amir

Banned deucer.
Sub Calm Mind Cobalion Offense

Click for team ->

When making this team, I wanted to take advantage of Cobalion's common safe switch-ins you'd expect (Slowbro, Cofagrigus, Mega Scizor, Tangrowth, Rotom-Wash, Clefable, Landorus-Therian, Tank Chomp) and use them as setup fodder to make things go south for the opponent as a snowball effect begins, you could use the common volt switch support set as a Weavile answer, but I wanted to catch the opponent off guard and use it as a win condition.

This team features Sub Calm Mind Cobalion, as mentioned above it will try to lure 2 of the "safest" switch-ins for Cobalion, which I can see as Slowbro and Cofagrigus. The idea is to set up a substitute as it switches in, calm mind up, and watch the Slowbro fail to break your substitute with scald. That is your win condition. But I wanted to disguise it to the best of my abilities so from the team preview you have a lovely volt turn core of Landorus-T and Thundurus-I with Pursuit trap Weavile to remove those pesky flying types and lati twins which ruin the fun.
I also have Metagross are your main abuser to break teams once Cobalion removes those fat waters.
Twave support from Thundurus-I and Choice Scarf Latias act as the speed control for the team.
I opted for an SpD Landorus-T for this team as a way to help check Volcarona as the team has a very big fire weakness and it's also the rocker for the team.

252 SpA Diancie-Mega Earth Power vs. 120 HP / 12 SpD Cobalion: 296-350 (83.8 - 99.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery Copied
0 SpA Slowbro Scald vs. +1 120 HP / 12 SpD Cobalion: 75-88 (21.2 - 24.9%) -- possible 6HKO after Leftovers recovery Copied
252+ Atk Excadrill Earthquake vs. 120 HP / 0 Def Cobalion: 296-350 (83.8 - 99.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252 SpA Volcarona Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 140 SpD Landorus-Therian: 283-334 (74.2 - 87.6%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock Copied

Last edited:

Nasirr

Banned deucer.
Choice Specs Keldeo BO

:ss/scizor-mega: :ss/Gastrodon-East: :ss/Weavile: :ss/heatran: :ss/keldeo: :ss/Landorus-Therian:

Teambuilding process :

when building this team, i wanted to give keldeo as much shine as possible, getting it in someway with u-turn from landorus/Scizor/ doubling as much as possible, to spam focus missing blast. Keldeo's gets stopt by slowbro/ latino/latina twin/ jellicent. that's when heatran/gastrodon come in play to soft/hard check them and set up rocks/double whatsoever,scizor is being used here as a defogger / mmetagross check / landorus is the speed controller + it's kinda fire to run toxic on it, since no one expects a toxic lando/ putting walls on the timer is always noice. i don't know what else to say about this so let's get into the threats
it's not the best explanation but its atleast something : )

Threats

:ss/keldeo:
another keldeo is the biggest threats to this team, keldeo basically comes in and claims a kill if not deal huge damage to the defensive core

:ss/Medicham-Mega:
yeah, this things hits hard, switchouts gets back does it again and wins
only way to beat this thing is revenge killin' it

The paste
https://pokepast.es/d3c51b7a0eca04a0

:ss/Spheal:

Triple Strong Trouble Threat (TSTT)

click sprites for pokepaste link

So the idea of this team was that Charizard-X and Terrakion share similar counters and they both have explosive attack power so they can wear each others check down.

Since they both hate hate fighting water types and the team needs some sort of hazard removal I put starmie with thunderbolt to threaten the likes of Volcanion and Keldeo in one move slot, and the colbur to hopefully get a lucky scald burn on something like weavile

The next team mate was Thundurus who's role is to switch into ground attacks that are aimed at Terrak and Zard while also being a useful tool against ho teams with prankster thunder wave

Ferrothorn with shed shell is here so I don't auto lose to mega diancie+zone turn one and is useful against the strong water attackers like manaphy while laying spikes down to help terrak and zard wear down the team

for my final slot I needed a stealth rocker, and a volt switch absorber, who can threaten a lot of strong physical attackers that's is where garchomp comes in it punishes all the scary physical attackers pretty hard by getting me some nice chip damage when it is touched, it can also put walls on a timer with toxic which is really useful for zard and terrak.

Justice Á-la-kazam
Cobalion has great typing to check Dark-types like Weavile and Bish while also not losing to Clef 1v1 (thanks to SD). It can revenge kill all the Steels
in the tier (or set up on non SP M. Sciz) since it also just lives M. Meta Hammer Arm into BP. SD is nice to actually beat Clef 1v1 and makes up for the lack of DMG Coba has. Stone Edge lets u hit M. Zard Y, Volc, Torn-T and Talon. EVs will be explained through calcs.

M. Zam appreciates Cobas ability to take on Dark-types in addition to being able to clean up later in the game. CM turns M. Zam into a dangerous threat and also makes up for the lack of spikes on that team.

Birds still looked scary for the team so I added Rotom to check them and some Steels (because Coba has to stay healthy many times to beat Clef or +2 Bish). Its also great to gain momentum, chip Mons into M. Zam range and spread burns.

Lando checks Fighting-types and Ground-types while also forming a nice VolTurn core with Rotom to not lose pressure. I decided to go for Rock Slide over Stone Edge since I am sick of missing and it gets the job done vs Volc, M. Zard Y and so on. Explosion serves as an emergency button if things go south. Scarf also ensures speed control without relying on M. Zam.

Now I needed something to Volt Switch into when they switch in their Rotom answer (e.g Clef, Grass-type, Latis) so Tran fulfills this role pretty well on top of setting up rocks. It can also bait in Water-types and toxic them in addition to checking non HP Ground Serp and Volc.

Regardless there were still some issues that had to be fixed like a reliable switch in into M. Diancie, HP Ground Serp, opposing M. Zam and Keld. AV Tang might not be great overall compared to the regular set but it fits well and glues the team together. I couldnt really decide between HP Fire and HP Ice because hitting Gliscor early and then using Giga on the forced Roost is a nice way of beating the only Ground-type that Rotom + Lando cant do (reliably) but HP Fire is nice to not give free switch ins for Ferro, M. Sciz and Skarm. In the end I went for HP Ice as it doesnt give free set up to Dnite and I felt like the team had enough anti Ferro/M. Sciz tools with Rotom WoW and Tran.

Threat list: HP Ground Volc is extremely scary but Tran lives one and can use Toxic to put in on a timer, or (depending on set) Lando can revenge kill it. Similar for Manaphy because Tang is not really an answer so it has to be taken out by the laster Mons on the team. SP M.Scizor has to be pivoted
around. Volcanion also puts a lot of pressure on the team but there are ways to play around it.

Team looks shaky vs HO in general but has some good match ups aswell.

0 SpA Clefable Moonblast vs. 80 HP / 44 SpD Cobalion: 121-144 (35.2 - 41.9%) -- 85.4% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 SpA Clefable Flamethrower vs. 80 HP / 44 SpD Cobalion: 154-182 (44.8 - 53%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 132 Atk Cobalion Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 320-378 (81.2 - 95.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 132 Atk Cobalion Stone Edge vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Tornadus-Therian: 362-426 (100.2 - 118%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 132 Atk Cobalion Close Combat vs. 248 HP / 12 Def Scizor-Mega: 202-238 (58.8 - 69.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Tough Claws Metagross-Mega Hammer Arm vs. 80 HP / 0 Def Cobalion: 248-292 (72.3 - 85.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
132 Atk Cobalion Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 186-218 (52.8 - 61.9%) -- 98.4% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

SubCM Keldeo Para Spam
:xy/Scizor-mega::xy/garchomp::xy/tangrowth::xy/keldeo::xy/clefable::xy/zapdos:

Team is cenetered around SubCM Keldeo but with a slight twist. Instead of the usual pursuit support it's getting support through paralysis, especially on some of its important targets such as Torn or serp.
Recently I've been really into static 3 attack Zapdos. Gets tons of free paralysis on U-turn abusers, mainly torn and lando, while also providing a Gliscor check. Zapdos also has a solid chance to hard cripple excadrill by paralyzing it when it goes to rapid spin. Also nice to get a para every now and then m-lop/mmeta/mega medi.
Clefable further spreads that yellow magic.
M-scizor is utility set w/ defog so zapdos can run static. Don't be scared to let scizor get burnt for the sake of momentum vs. rotom. AV tang w/ HP fire to make ferro less annoying and brick break for screens teams. No need to be too scared of gliscor w/ zapdos and keldeo around. M-scizor gets free u-turns on heatrans, chomps, and zapdos. This allows a free chomp or maybe even a free keldeo in.

I haven't seen SubCM Keldeo in a minute and I personally think it might resurge in this meta where latios is usally choiced and latias is usually complete utility that is hard to pursuit anyways. Scizor is more than enough to handle them (+ gets free U-turn) while Keldeo can always threaten to widdle them away (esp if burn is achieved) long-term without really in need of any help. With the combination of chomp, keldeo, and even burnt scizor U-turns this team should be able to muscle through rotom-w and let either keldeo or chomp wreck havoc.

Tips:
Try and bring keldeo before rocks are on the field so lefties aren't revealed.
Always sub first but once opponent finds out your set, always secret sword vs. rotom-w/serp since sub is just giving up free hp.
Oh and chomp is dragon rush for some paraflinch hax :)

Possible variations:
Flamethrower > Moonblast is an option that can be used to help the team burst through M-Meta & Exca.
Lum berry > Leftovers on chomp to muscle through rotom-w.

MrAldo

Hey
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
And lets get the voting rolling people, ty so much for the submissions. More Cobalions than expected so thats really dope!

Team 1

Team 2

Team 3

Team 4

Team 5

Team 6

Voting with last until Monday at 12:00pm GMT -5. May the best one win!

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)