Resource ORAS OU Teambuilding Competition - Revived! (21st Round Voting on post #414 - Absorbing Abilities)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dragon Fairy Bulky Offense
:lopunny-mega::kyurem-black::clefable::azumarill::garchomp::zapdos:

The idea behind the team is to capitalize on Kyurem-B's offensive and defensive assets. Defensively, it acts as a solid water-, electric-, and grass- type check. Manaphy and Serperior, for example, will have a hard time breaking a team with a full HP Kyurem-Black. It is also a key Rotom-W switch in. It resists its STABs and doesn't mind wisp too much.

Offensively, Kyurem-B puts pressure on mons that usually check CB Azumarill such as Ferrothorn, Mega Venu, Skarmory, Amoonguss, etc. The EV's on Kyurem-B allow it to outspeed timid Heatran and the rest is put in Atk. +SpA nature is important to nail 2HKO on physdef Clefable and do some work on Ferrothorn. CB Azumarill rounds up the core and acts as back-up plan against Volcarona and CM Clefable. PuP Lopunny takes advantage of this offensive core to be a really good cleaner especially against offense.

SubSD Garchomp is a neat tech that is extremely good against Volcanion / Cofagrigus and Torn-T / Excadrill / Rotom-W balance. Substitute gives you a free turn vs. Rotom-W (they will pretty much always wisp) and allows you to set up on Cofagrigus. It's also incredibly hard to deal with if the opponent is not prepared. Tornadus-T has to hit Hurricane, Rotom-W has to hit Hydro Pump, etc. It just puts the opponent in a bad position. I use Outrage because I found Stone Edge and Dragon Claw a bit lackluster. Outrage gives you a good chance to just OHKO Manaphy, Rotom-W (after rocks), Zapdos, etc. and is generally more consistent.

The EV's on Clefable live 2 Scalds from Specs Keldeo at full HP. This is important because otherwise Keldeo can run through the team. Kyurem-B can always be used as a switch in if rocks are not up. The EVs on Clefable also allow it to take on Mega Diancie, Mega Alakazam, and Thundurus. The EV's on Garchomp give substitute enough sturdiness to not fall vs. Cofagrigus's Hex. Azumarill outspeeds Skarmory and the rest is put into HP. Azumarill is pretty much your only ice resist, so use it carefully vs. Weavile teams and play more aggressively. Substitute Garchomp, Kyurem-B, and Mega Lopunny are all important tools in handling that matchup. It's definitely outplayable. If Weavile is too much of a threat, Clefable can always be made physically defensive and Azumrill can go AV, but I prefer this offensive variant more.

Zapdos is the team's defogger of choice for its defensive utility, and I wanted to get out of the habit of relying on glue Excadrill too much. With pressure and rocky helmet, Zapdos will wear down any non-toxic excadrill long term. This leeway allows Clefable to go Thunder Wave instead of Knock Off or Flamethrower. Players have gotten too comfortable with Clefable not having Thunder Wave anymore, and let me tell you something, nothing is more annoying than a Clefable with the yellow magic.

s/o to xray for input/help
Random ladder reply to showcase SubSD Chomp: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen6ou-1822134160-2u3tm6cx2lggfrrirs5dd7qz8l6ag64pw

Last edited:
MEGA DIANCIE + DOUBLE ICE BO

:sm/kyurem: :sm/diancie-Mega: :sm/weavile: :sm/gastrodon: :sm/clefable: :sm/zapdos:

Welcome to my team submission, so the basis of my team was to build it around kyurem and mega diancie since they both paired up well against one another and acts as the main offensive pokemons on the team.

1. First and foremost the team has mega diancie which takes care of hazards due to its magic bounce ability and was suitable yet providing great assistance to kyurem. It also helps keep stealth rocks off the field which would be a nightmare for kyurem, zapdos and weavile. Lastly, it has a good overall ability to act as a breaker for stall matchups.
2. The team needed speed, this meant that kyurem ran a choice scarf as it seemed good and can add an element of surprise for those unexpected. It has the ability to snipe volcarona and mega charizard y which would otherwise pose a big threat to my team, to do this I made kyurem rock slide since ancient power lacked power and couldn't even ohko a non bulky volcarona whereas rock slide could on the other hand.
3. Afterwards, I added weavile which further helps against stall match ups and once it knocks off clefable's leftovers then it can potentially carve a way for kyurem to 2hko clefable. Not only is a fast knock crucial in games, it was also a powerful one, having access to strong stabs and priority justified it as a good pair and a partner to the team.
4. Further onwards, I thought of gastrodon as it plays a key role in checking keldeo which otherwise tears my team apart. It can also handle and help with strong special attacking threats such as the likes of mega alakazam and opposing mega diancie's. Clear smog is very useful to prevent clegable from setting up and other opposing threats from setting up. Finally, it being a ground type acts as a reliable volt switch blocker which would otherwise provide opponents with dangerous opportunities.
5. Later on contemplating what to include next, I figured that a zapdos + clefable core is substantial enough for the team, supplying support for one another which provides great synergy. Not only did zapdos have great reliable bulk and an excellent typing, it prevents strong ground moves from sweeping the team such as earthquakes from excadrill. It also pairs well with the other offensive threats on the team, it checks the likes of mega scizor and ferrothorn which would otherwise cause trouble to the team. Lastly, clefable is just a great pokemon on almost every team, it provides rocks up, knocks off items and provides that extra bulkiness to the team, the icing to the cake.
Thank you for checking my team out, I hope it has given you an insight to how I believe the team should be built, good luck to everyone else!
shout-out to Boring pikachu and noname6293.
Here is the paste enjoy!.
https://pokepast.es/bd6546b7fc49f6f1

Last edited:
MEGA DIANCIE + DOUBLE ICE BO

:sm/kyurem: :sm/diancie-Mega: :sm/weavile: :sm/gastrodon: :sm/clefable: :sm/zapdos:

Welcome to my team submission, so the basis of my team was to build it around kyurem and mega diancie since they both paired up well against one another and acts as the main offensive pokemons on the team.

1. First and foremost the team has mega diancie which takes care of hazards due to its magic bounce ability and was suitable yet providing great assistance to kyurem. It also helps keep stealth rocks off the field which would be a nightmare for kyurem, zapdos and weavile. Lastly, it has a good overall ability to act as a breaker for stall matchups.
2. The team needed speed, this meant that kyurem ran a choice scarf as it seemed good and can add an element of surprise for those unexpected. It has the ability to snipe volcarona and mega charizard y which would otherwise pose a big threat to my team.
3. Afterwards, I added weavile which further helps against stall match ups and once it knocks off clefable's leftovers then it can potentially carve a way for kyurem to 2hko clefable. Not only is a fast knock crucial in games, it was also a powerful one, having access to strong stabs and priority justified it as a good pair and a partner to the team.
4. Further onwards, I thought of gastrodon as it plays a key role in checking keldeo which otherwise tears my team apart. It can also handle and help with strong special attacking threats such as the likes of mega alakazam and opposing mega diancie's. Clear smog is very useful to prevent clegable from setting up and other opposing threats from setting up. Finally, it being a ground type acts as a reliable volt switch blocker which would otherwise provide opponents with dangerous opportunities.
5. Later on contemplating what to include next, I figured that a zapdos + clefable core is substantial enough for the team, supplying support for one another which provides great synergy. Not only did zapdos have great reliable bulk and an excellent typing, it prevents strong ground moves from sweeping the team such as earthquakes from excadrill. It also pairs well with the other offensive threats on the team, it checks the likes of mega scizor and ferrothorn which would otherwise cause trouble to the team. Lastly, clefable is just a great pokemon on almost every team, it provides rocks up, knocks off items and provides that extra bulkiness to the team, the icing to the cake.
Thank you for checking my team out, I hope it has given you an insight to how I believe the team should be built, good luck to everyone else!
shout-out to Boring pikachu and noname6293.
Here is the paste enjoy!.

https://pokepast.es/6eeb938748364b7d
Very insane team I really like it no cap one of the best oras team I have ever seen

MMETA + KYUREM BULKY OFFENSE

:sm/kyurem: :sm/metagross-mega: :sm/garchomp: :sm/tornadus-therian: :sm/excadrill: :sm/rotom-wash:

Team description:
im picking Metagross as Kyurem partner because it benefits from Kyurem ability to hit Landorus,Tank Garchomp, Hippowdon, Tangrowth and Zapdos. Metagross also helped Kyurem because its able to scare Diancie and Clefable mainly. Tank Chomp + Tornadus + Rotom-Wash is just reliable core for offense team and scarf Exca is good cleaner and it benefits from Metagross and Kyurem to pressure opposing Rotom-Wash.

Last edited:

Amir

Banned deucer.
MMETA + KYUREM BULKY OFFENSE

:sm/kyurem: :sm/metagross-mega: :sm/garchomp: :sm/tornadus-therian: :sm/excadrill: :sm/rotom-wash:

Team description:
im picking Metagross as Kyurem partner because it benefits from Kyurem ability to hit Landorus,Tank Garchomp, Hippowdon, Tangrowth and Zapdos. Metagross also helped Kyurem because its able to scare Diancie and Clefable mainly. Tank Chomp + Tornadus + Rotom-Wash is just reliable core for offense team and scarf Exca is good cleaner and it benefits from Metagross and Kyurem to pressure opposing Rotom-Wash.
For a second I thought you ripped that from my teambuilder when I was looking at the EVs. lmao

Diancie DragMag

Welcome to this submission, built around M-Diancie and KB since when they both get paired up they're nice together apparently idk lol

1. First things first, we have the Mega, which is Mega Diancie. This thing is mad underrated sometimes and prevents hazards and helps take on Dragons which is a nightmare for KB. It also helps soft-check Talonflame alongside Rotom-W whom I'll speak of later.

2. Next up is Kyurem Black, straight away, this thing nails Gliscor which can stall down Diancie's Moonblast. Hits a lot of things for decent damage, add on Expert Belt and you basically get a LO boost without the recoil drawback, and it has a Wish.com version of BoltBeam coverage (lolz jk but the point is hopefully sent across)

3. Now, the main mon, Magnezone. This thing eliminates 2 of the biggest nightmares for this team and those being Mega Scizor and Ferrothorn. Nothing more really, Mag is just that good against these 2 mons

4. Tornadus-Theiran forms a solid VoltTurn pivot core with Rotom and helps stone wall Keldeo, Serperior, and Volcarona, all of whom eat this squad for breakfast. Also provides a nice CB Tyranitar switch-in (not on Stone Edge ofc but you get my point)

5. Excadrill is therefore further Hazard prevention as well as just generally being quick and strong. Mold Breaker is to hit the pesky Rotom Wash and Lati twins that roam the tier as well.

6. Rounding out the team is the physically defensive Rotom-Wash. This thing is torture for physical attackers shot of the mighty Excadrill itself. Spreading burns everywhere like it's nobody's business as well as having a semi-reliable way to recover some health in Pain Split.

Overall, this is one of my favorite teams to use and it's given me some degree of success. I just liked the whole concept of invalidating Scizor and Ferrothorn which is what lead me to make this team. Hope you enjoy it!

Paste: https://pokepast.es/c4465fa4a4188521

Last edited:

Amir

Banned deucer.
Sub Toxic Kyurem + Tspikes Bulky Offense.

So yeeeeeeaah, took a break from teambuilding but I'm back. And no this is not just a bunch of UU mons on your screen, this is just the aesthetic I thought of loading up for today's competition. Now let's dig in, the team features sub-toxic Kyurem with a metronome, yes this is the same spread I used in week 5, but with a minor change that is toxic, which is used to catch the bulky mons which shrug off ice beams such as Chansey, and fat waters like Volcanion, Suicunel, and Manaphy. Empoleon is partnered as I wanted hazard removal and it has the niche of luring in Clefable which likes to absorb the scald / toxic, but will get smacked hard in the face with Flash Cannon. Cresselia is added because I wanted to maximize Kyurem's PP while acting as a Lopunny / Medi switch-in. Nidoqueen fits the theme as a unique rocker and toxic spikes mon that threatens Excadrill with Sheer Force Earth Power. Reuniclus functions as the glue to the team and threatens a lot of common cores. Finally Mega Lopunny to help round things a bit and act as a revenge killer and appreciates a weakened Clefable. I opted for Adamant because I wanted to maximise damage output. (Yes this has no Excadrill earthquake switch in, you can put your pitchforks away because this team is to challenge myself as a builder and bring something unique).

Kyurem B Stall.
kyurem-black.gifchansey.gifzapdos.gifscizor-mega.gifslowbro.gif

paste: https://pokepast.es/dccc9e40abbc04a9

This is a bit of a silly idea I had. The central idea was that Kyurem B is really good against a lot of stall breakers, particularly Manaphy. Other than that it is a pretty standard stall team. Chansey handles most special attackers, and the combination of Scizor, Quagsire and Slowbro handles most physical attackers. Zapdos is good for defog and a ground immune. I feel like these sets could definitely be toyed with and optimized, but I did not have time to do so.

Last edited:
Since we have so many teams, I feel like commenting on all the teams & giving my honorable mentions:

Team 3 = this team has some heat techs, so I commend the effort. However, triple rock weak with no hazard removal really hurts the team.

Team 1 = I like the PuP Lopunny + Kyu-B offensive core (I used it myself), and I like Reflect Type Starmie. However, team is still pretty Rotom-W weak which rubs me the wrong way. Good effort tho

Team 2 & Team 9 = I like the idea of putting Kyurem on fat. I think I would have liked if the teams were a bit more polished (ex: they both lose to SubCM Keldeo), but good try nonetheless.

Team 6 & Team 7 = I really like builds like these. I call them "loose builds" because it feels like everything is hanging on a thread, but with enough offensive pressure, the opponent can be overwhelmed. They aren't the most original builds, but they are very solid. There are some weaknesses for both teams, but good effort.

Team 8 = once again amir proves that his name means the prince of heat. A bit bisharp/weavile weak and too slow for my liking, but super creative team nonetheless. Very close to winning my vote.

With all that said, I'll vote for Team 5
Gastrodon / Clefable / Zapdos is a very strong defensive core, and Scarf Kyurem w/ Rock Slide is actually genius in that it patches the weaknesses the core face like Dragonite, Manaphy, Volcarona, and Zard Y. Well done.
Personal suggestion: Zapdos doesn't need 68 SpA if you run volt switch, esp if you have weavile + diancie for mega pinsir. I would also make Zapdos SpD and Gastrodon PhysDef. This will help vs. Serperior and Keldeo more.

Last edited:
I'm going to give my thoughts on every team because I can, and because I was offended by a few of them;

team 1 - seems ok enough for offense, opposing lop scares you shitless even w/ lando-t

team 2 - I dig the idear, though I think torn-t>skarm for a rocky helm taunt support set would give miles

team 3 - if lando had defog this would be actually passable,but as it stands i'm going to have to ask you to slap a drill somewhere

team 4 - seems like something from 2015, i dig the azu + kyu shenanigans to kill all

team 5 - i never liked rocks clef, but seems aight

team 6 - be sane and run bulky drill and anything else over chomp, maybe bro

team 7 - standard good stuffs

team 8 - i haven't touched this build to be a judge, but I'm going to assume its going to play a lot better than it looks considering its amir

team 9 - you had an idear, and I saw it, but unfortunately the support you seek does not exist this generation

anyways, vote goes to TEAM 2

Team 2, I like this kind of solid team.
I also play several match by using team 8, I think it is a funny team and have a good performance. I can feel the author's intentions and good experience. However, I think this team is having trouble dealing with some hot pm like Exca and Mega-Scizor(I can understand ADA Mega-Lopunny is also help to deal with Scirzor, but still have to strugle with it).

Last edited:

MrAldo

Hey
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
And this is pretty much a wrap! Congratulations to Team 4 by RufflesPro for winning this round extremely convincingly! Will be added to the hall of fame shortly!

Now to the next round!

Round 12
/
/
/

Turning the tables
This one is gonna be interesting and kind of wild. You are probably asking why there is 2 pu mons, an uu mon, and a slowbro? It is simple, we are doing creative speed control this time. Thats right, this round challenge would making a team with some form of speed control besides the conventional ones in Scarfers, fast megas, and Sand. You gotta build a team with or using one of these: Rain, Sun, Trick Room, or Tailwind.

Sand is obviously banned from this challenge since... it kind of builds itself tbh. For the record it doesnt have to be a full Rain, Sun, Trick Room, or Tailwind. Just gotta make use of these. Let your creativity run wild!

This round will last until Saturday at 11:59 PM GMT -5. Have fun!

VENUSAUR SUN
:sm/Venusaur: :sm/charizard-mega-y: :sm/weavile: :sm/clefable: :sm/zapdos: :sm/gastrodon:

Team : https://pokepast.es/7d6a6a50caccbab1

For this week ,I will submit chlorophyll venusaur team. I always have been a huge fan for sun team so this week teambuilding low-key makes me happy. I make this team in like 5 min or smth so feels free to comment on discord or here if you spot any weaknesses or want to give tips.

Anyways , here is the teambuilding process :

1) Basically I like venusaur as chlorophyll mon because it's good against stall. Ight hear me out , venusaur have access to growth which mean on stall only unaware mon can stop venusaur from getting growth boost but stall only have 2 unaware Pokémon which is quagsire and clefable. Both of this Pokémon can't stop venusaur. The other Pokémon on stall who can be annoying is chansey but venusaur beat chansey anyway because you just growth and giga drain to get health back.

2. You kinda need drought support to make venusaur works. There are only two option for drought pokemon which is mega charizard y or ninetales. I picked charizard y because it s a good Pokémon in general.

3. For my third Pokemon , I likes to use weavile because it offers pursuit support which can be helpful against cm stored power mega latias mainly and weavile is also a good pokemon in general.

4) For defensive core , I will be using clefable/zapdos/gastrodon. I genuinely like this defensive core because it cover the meta pretty well and suit this team.

Threat :
1) volcarona just quiver dance and win

Viable changes :
1) You can use terrakion over weavile to help against volcarona but you will be weak against mega latias.

Last edited:
Crackhead Altaria Sun
:ninetales::altaria-mega::raikou::venusaur::weavile::gliscor:

This is a team I already built about 2 months ago. It was inspired by random talk about how Raikou learns Weather Ball, s/o Amir for the idea. So yeah, I built a Weather Ball Raikou on Sun team.

:ninetales: - ngl this mon sucks. So I made the team very offensive so that this feels less of a burden. Sunny day for ttar switch in. Wisp to be annoying since Hyponsis is unreliable. Rest to have some sort of longevity.
:altaria-mega: - this thing is here only so that we don't lose to volcarona on the spot. Cloud nine = negate the sun, important into zard y / moth / heatran. Outrage = actually do damage on volcarona. Fire blast = very strong under the sun, even if adamant.
:raikou: - the star of the team. Really sucks that it has to be rash to run weather ball, but that means you can just run the whole package with Aura Sphere (also needs you to run rash). I'm running AV to give this thing some sort of defensive backbone, but LO or something can be used as well. Weather Ball OHKOs Jolly Excadrill and Ferrothorn. Aura Sphere deals with Ttar & Heatran. Only thing that walls this beast is gastrodon/quagsire/seismitoed. Otherwise, this thing is a unit.
:venusaur: - I'm using EQ so I have something other than Altaria for Heatran, but HP Fire can be used as well. Solar Beam w/ LO for immediate damage b/c in practice you don't always get to Growth.
:weavile: - important for prio + nuke + SD w/ LO is bonkers if you can pull it off.
:gliscor: - the ultimate role compression mon. Flying type, ground type, defogger, and rocker. Can't use poison heal + defog so instead we use hyper cutter and eject button for that sweet momentum. Speed to outspeed drill and ensure we win the rocks war. Also important for heatran.

252+ Atk Altaria-Mega Outrage vs. 88 HP / 0 Def Volcarona: 271-321 (81.3 - 96.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0- SpA Altaria-Mega Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Skarmory in Sun: 310-366 (92.8 - 109.5%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO

252+ SpA Raikou Weather Ball (100 BP Fire) vs. 56 HP / 168 SpD Excadrill in Sun: 374-440 (99.7 - 117.3%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Raikou Aura Sphere vs. 100 HP / 0 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 236-280 (64.4 - 76.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ SpA Life Orb Venusaur Solar Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Medicham-Mega: 266-316 (101.9 - 121%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)