Resource ORAS OU Teambuilding Competition - Revived! (21st Round Voting on post #414 - Absorbing Abilities)

Status
Not open for further replies.

xray

how u doin'?
is a Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
World Defender
Team 3 looks really cool. Static Zapdos is a neat partner and can punish things such as Weav, MLop or Torn-T giving MGallade a better shot at sweeping. Crawdaunt can break holes into teams early on and puts pressure on mons such as Slowbro (you can double into Craw). HWish Rocks Clef in the back is a nice addition as well. Sub Exca provides a backup solution for Bisharp and to remove TSpikes vs Cofag. Overall, this team seems to have a clear concept and is well-built. The only little weakness as mentioned beforehand might be the lack of ice resists, but I think that is still outplayable. I'd make some small adjustments to the spreads, but besides that it looks really cool! Will post my own MGallade Team after SPL which was used by jonfilch and Noisy in Week 3 of the tour!

MrAldo

Hey
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
And thats a wrap, Team 3 by RufflesPro win this round on very convincing fashion! Congratulations, will be added to the hall of fame shortly or at some point in the nearby future!

And with that lets move to the next round!

BIRDS!
/
/
/
/
/

This round will consist of making a team around a flying type of your choice, to add to the challenge the available options you can choose from are flying types that are ranked A- and below. The use of the megas showed isnt an obligation but it is encouraged, they are very cool tbh.

Updated Viability Rankings for reference:
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/oras-ou-viability-rankings.3623399/

This round will last as usual until Friday 17th at 11:59 PM GMT -5

And as always have fun! Cheers!

Last edited:
:Excadrill: :Tornadus-Therian: :Skarmory: :Dragalge: :Lopunny-Mega: :Rotom-Wash:

This one is more an anti-meta call if anything, and it can take a little getting used to, but basically this time can and will entirely depend on your ability to use your spikers and keep them alive to win the-game. Originally this team was centered around dragalge, who boasts unique qualities few pokemon can claim to have, such as being a t-spike absorber, moth check, keldeo check, clef check and even a serp-check.

Dare I say skarmory is probably mandatory as a partner for dragalge as you will otherwise commit cry about it vs the likes of excadrill, lando-t, garchomp and gliscor. Weavile also makes you commit die so there's that. Granted, there's a million other threats so you've also got rotom-wash to help alleviate some of the pressure, but other options include slowbro or if you're daring; suicune. The rest is honestly pretty vanilla, not a lot to really explain considering you're using such a niche core, you kinda want the best of the best to support the two in their endeavor of being able to beat not only cofa volc cores, but screens.

The primary function(s) of the dragalge spread is to take an eq from bulky chomp and ko it in return, you also outspeed and threaten clef to death.

Last edited:
Team : https://pokepast.es/49f0288e442c04a3

:SM/pinsir-mega: :SM/magnezone: :SM/weavile: :sm/hippowdon: :SM/excadrill: :SM/keldeo:

Teambuilding process : pinsir main offensive partner is magnezone because it trap skarmory. The second partner I'm using weavile because it also benefit from skarmory gone and it able to knock off shed shell on skarmory. Pinsir and weavile have priority which is cool to deal with hyper offense team. The fourth partner , I'm looking for something that can help pinsir deal with electric type mainly mega manectric. I decide to use hippowdon because it's underated wall. Im using impish max hp and def, this spread able to tank mega diancie , jolly mega lopunny and timid mega alakazam. The team is lacking hazard control so I'm using excadrill as 5th member because it's best hazard removal in tier plus hippowdon and excadrill have nice synergy in sand rush. The last partner, I'm using keldeo because team lacking ice resist.

Mega Pidgeot Sand
1676415227540.png
1676415262042.png
1676415290832.png
1676415339458.png
1676415398167.png
1676415423485.png

https://pokepast.es/91e66bfe586d575a

Here's a team I built using more of the nichest mons, which is being Mega Pidgeot with it being C Ranked on ORAS OU VR. Reasons I wanted to use it b/c No Guard is v nice, good speed tier notability outspeeding Serp as evident with speed tying Torn-T, and its good synergy with Sand. As well as the obviously fitting the Building theme. :-)

Pidgeot and Exca share the same checks with zapdos and rotom being the big ones, so with this, I went with Rocks Clef and Cofag to spinblock Exca. In theory, you can keep up rocks against them. CB Ttar is a good breaker and helps get past Phys checks of Exca and/or trap mons that would be problematic such like Slowbro or a Weavile lacking rare Low Kick, Also it helps against Zard-X with its specialized EVs and the team struggles against Zard-X. It also provides a check to Volc (broken moth) and supports Exca. Speaking of Exca, with its set of 3 attack + sub, its really well w/ TSpikes as sand, rocks and Toxic damage make good progess vs bulkier teams. Scarf wash is there for speed control for Mana and weavile, with trick helps against CM clef MU, if necessary. Thats p much the team explanation :)

1676416415144.png
- 16 SpDef EVs allows it to take +4 Leaf Storm from 100%
1676416560402.png
- 176 SpDef EVs allows Cofag Hex can't break Sub
1676416738210.png
- 16 Spe EVs to outspeed Amoonguss/Slowbro/opp Cofag
1676417013316.png
- Standard, 240 Spe EVs + Timid to outspeed Mega Zam, rest dumped into Phys Bulk
1676417163942.png
- 112 HP & 252 Def EVs allows it to live Jolly Mega Gross Mash, +3 Dclaw from Jolly Zard-X and nice roll w/ +2 EQ.
- 16 Spe EVs for Clef creep.
1676417877122.png
- 20 Spe EVs for opp Clef creep, 248 HP/28 SpDef EVs to tank Defensive Volcanion

I didn't have time to build a new team, so instead I'm going to share a stable team I've had and used for a long time. It's already in my team dump.

Suicune Sand
:xy/tyranitar-mega::xy/suicune::xy/serperior::xy/talonflame::xy/gastrodon::xy/excadrill:

The idea of the team is around Suicune. As the gen got slower, Suicune became more effective against BO/balanced. I opted to go Calm instead of Timid, because the extra speed is not really needed anymore as there's very few max speed Heatrans. Calm allows Suicune's to withstand non-LO Clefable always and Rotom-W most of the time. Volt Switch is 6.3% chance to break sub. 240 Spe reaches 266 which is more than enough. The Mega Ttar is the exact same spread from the legendary CBB team.

Talonflame (the bird on the this team) and Serperior do a really good job of providing utility and offensive pressure at the same time. Spreading para's and burns is extremely helpful for Suicune. There's also reverse synergy in that the rest of the team all put pressure on Heatran which can enable Talonflame and Serperior back.

I'm a big fan of Curse Gastrodon. I was one of the earliest ones to use it and it has always been a trustworthy friend. Usually Torn-T + Rotom-W teams knock leftovers and then go to rotom w/ burn and spamming painsplit and it nullifies it. But w/ Excadrill's Toxic on Rotom, it allows Gastrodon to get past Rotom-W. Plus there's always a free serp possible situation since Rotom will likely not go for Volt Switch. Max defense allows it to take on Specs Keldeo that would otherwise ravage this team, but it also allows it to do weird things like switch on Dragonite or Zard X and set up alongside them, or at +1 trade it for Mega Medicham's health.

Because Gastrodon is physically defensive, this does make the team weaker to Mega Diancie, especially with spikes, but it's definitely outplayable. You get at least 1 free switch for each exca/serp/suicune. Diancie can pretty much only switch on Talon or maybe Ttar so imo just avoid using talon for as long as possible.

Other viable options:
Toxic/Clear Smog on Gastrodon over Curse or Scald.
Substitute > Toxic Excadrill

0 SpA Rotom-Wash Volt Switch vs. +1 252 HP / 16+ SpD Suicune: 84-102 (20.7 - 25.2%) -- 6.3% chance to break sub
4 SpA Serperior Leaf Storm vs. +2 252 HP / 16+ SpD Suicune: 90-108 (22.2 - 26.7%) -- 37.5% chance to break sub

Last edited:
https://pokepast.es/5473e29639e41866
1676684292662.png
I decided to choose Talonflame as my bird since it’s an amazing check to HO and Volcarona, provided you can keep rocks off the feild.
1676684025763.png
Diancie is a natural talonflame partner due to it bouncing back hazards and appreciating talon wearing down all the steels.
1676684160025.png
Excadrill is almost mandatory for Talonflame, since it’s the only reliable form of hazard removal in the entire tier. Rocks on Exca was picked for extra role compression.
1676684347130.png
At this point, the team seemed really weak to spikers, and mags ability to remove the 2 best spikers and open holes for Diancie was valued. Specs since losing to spdef ferro with scarf mag is cringe.
1676684490839.png
At this point, I felt somewhat weak to washtom and gastro stonewalls it. Having a check to non-hpgrass Keldeo was also much appreciated.
1676684632287.png
Tangrowth was mainly to check Metagross, but it helped in general to sponge physical hits and maintain health on the other team members.

MrAldo

Hey
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Just let me drop a mega aero team right quick

I love Mega Aero, it has really neat perks for a mega that allows him to put torn in an awful position everytime it gets a chance to just kill it or to chip it down for something in the back to have an easier time, while being a pretty decent rona check even at +2 (unless it is modest life orb). Decided to pair it with volc since it appreciates torn being weakened or removed. Phys def cause we need to tank stuff that is otherwise dangerous. Roserade is honestly kind of a neat pick to really most serp variants really well and doesnt mind the paralysis thanks to natural cure, and offer spikes!

The rest of the build is built in order to support a sweep with mega aerodactyl or excadrill. Scarf Excadrill cause fuck mega alakazam, it just works anyways, can get a couple of surprise kills if played well. Azu punch holes for the cleaners to have an easier chance. Taunt Gliscor is amazing, and just prevents so much stuff from going up and giving a notable advantage on hazards wars.

Cheers!

MrAldo

Hey
And I think that is going to make it for this round, a healthy amount so thats a lot once more everyone for their contributions

Team 1

Team 2

Team 3

Team 4

Team 5

Team 6

Voting will last until Monday at 12:00pm GMT -5. Best of luck everyone!

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)