Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Skymin was allowed in OU for like a day before it got quick-banned. And do you seriously want Darkrai in OU? Seriously?
is there a post about this? i don't see anything about it being quickbanned, and was this pre or post pokebank?

i'm mostly looking for the discussion or announcement, and i also don't need the attitude. i was asking if there was a discussion about it and looking for specifically why they were treated differently from the other things that were unbanned (in that discussion; as i said, i know why they were banned initially). and because i guess it wasn't obvious enough, i'm not stating any opinion on the matter.

Last edited:
is there a post about this? i don't see anything about it being quickbanned, and was this pre or post pokebank?

i'm mostly looking for the discussion or announcement, and i also don't need the attitude. i was asking if there was a discussion about it and looking for specifically why they were treated differently from the other things that were unbanned (in that discussion; as i said, i know why they were banned initially). and because i guess it wasn't obvious enough, i'm not stating any opinion on the matter.
Skymin has absurd speed, extremely high special attack, an incredible STAB move with a very high probability of cutting the defender's special defense in half, and, yes, a 60% flinch chance on a fairly powerful Flying STAB. What can wall it is entirely dependent on what attacks it runs.

It was unanimously banned back in Generation 5, and I suppose nobody wanted to bother letting it run wild so it was part of the "core" Ubers banlist rolled over once Pokebank OU became the standard. Can't say I blame them, since very little has changed beyond the release of Talonflame.

Skymin has absurd speed, extremely high special attack, an incredible STAB move with a very high probability of cutting the defender's special defense in half, and, yes, a 60% flinch chance on a fairly powerful Flying STAB. What can wall it is entirely dependent on what attacks it runs.

It was unanimously banned back in Generation 5, and I suppose nobody wanted to bother letting it run wild so it was part of the "core" Ubers banlist rolled over once Pokebank OU became the standard. Can't say I blame them, since very little has changed beyond the release of Talonflame.
i probably should have made this a bit more clear, but i'm looking for an official discussion/announcement (or a confirmation that there wasn't one), not guesses as to why they were left banned. that just goes into a 'your guess is good as mine' type of thing, and i'm well aware about their initial bans and the rationale behind them.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I'm not that skilled, but I'm guessing some in HP to take a hit, defense to exploit the relaxed eviolite, and mostly in attack. So that would be 127 in HP, 127 in Def, and 254 in atk. Hope I helped.
EVs have to be a number that can be divisible by 4, a la 4, 8, 24, 64, 128, 138, 242 etc. So 127 doesn't work. The EV spread you meant is 128 HP / 128 Def / 252 Atk, which is pretty bad for Munch/Snorlax imo. It should always max HP, no matter what, and the rest depends on the set. I suggest using the same EV spreads from 5th gen as nothing really changed for Snorlax.

i probably should have made this a bit more clear, but i'm looking for an official discussion/announcement, not guesses as to why they were left banned. that just goes into a 'your guess is good as mine' type of thing, and i'm well aware about their initial bans and the rationale behind them.
There aren't any released statements/viewable discussions about the ban of either Skymin or Darkrai, but I will go ahead and say the the majority of the community wouldn't want them roaming in OU anyway. They're in the initial banlist and have been there ever since they were announced/released, iirc.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
stupid question but has whirlwind always bypassed protect or is that a new gen 6 thing? I knew it bypassed subs and has perfect accuracy now, but I don't remember the protect stuff.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
What's a good ball for a non-shiny Aegislash? and what's it's least used stat?
Are you going mixed? physical? weakness policy automotize?

Since you can't get him in a heavy ball, which would look nice, you could always go with premier/luxury

Are you going mixed? physical? weakness policy automotize?

Since you can't get him in a heavy ball, which would look nice, you could always go with premier/luxury
Well I was thinking about breeding a brave one, I just wasn't sure about the stats cos they change when it changes forms. Premier ball sounds nice.

I'm trying to get Brave Bird and Roost onto a zubat. I see Both of them are egg moves in Gen 4 with 2 different pokemon, but a pokemon like Wingull can learn both. Is it not possible to breed both moves onto him from 1 pokemon?

What's the recommended nature for a mixed Mega Garchomp? I'm thinking of using a set of Draco Meteor, Fire Blast, Earthquake and either Iron Head or Stone Edge. I was thinking Brave at first, since his speed drops when he Mega Evolves and I don't want to sacrifice bulk or damage, but 92 speed really isn't so terrible a speed tier, so now I'm not sure. Any suggestions?

I'm trying to get Brave Bird and Roost onto a zubat. I see Both of them are egg moves in Gen 4 with 2 different pokemon, but a pokemon like Wingull can learn both. Is it not possible to breed both moves onto him from 1 pokemon?
Assuming we're talking XY here, since this is an XY forum, but... Roost is a TM. All you have to do is breed in Brave Bird and teach Roost via TM.

If you're talking about Gen 4, since you mentioned it... well, it's the same answer, really. Though Wingull doesn't actually get Brave Bird through any means that I'm aware of, any other parent that learns Brave Bird can pass it to Zubat.

The parent species doesn't actually matter as long as the breeding pair is compatible and (male parent in previous gens, either parent in Gen 6) knows the move being passed down.

Naughty nature would probably be best because you still want to outspeed neutral nature sub 92 pokemon and physical attacks are more common so you'd rather take the SpD drop.

Last edited:
What's the recommended nature for a mixed Mega Garchomp? I'm thinking of using a set of Draco Meteor, Fire Blast, Earthquake and either Iron Head or Stone Edge. I was thinking Brave at first, since his speed drops when he Mega Evolves and I don't want to sacrifice bulk or damage, but 92 speed really isn't so terrible a speed tier, so now I'm not sure. Any suggestions?
Usually they drop the SDef because Pokemon need the resilience against priority moves.

Now, you must realize that Mega-ChainChomp is weaker than the regular LO-ChainChomp on both sides in addition to its lower speed. The regular one was Naughty 240 and faster than the neutral base 100 while the equivalent Mega barely outpaces Timid Heatran, which is good enough. Still, in order to make him actually worthwhile you have to exhaust its ability to the fullest.

That's how it may look like:

Garchomp @ Garchompite
Ability: Rough Skin / Sand Force
EVs: 240 Spd / 252 SAtk / 16 Atk
Naughty Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast

However, should you want Mega-Chomp to be on equal footing with the regular one, you have to be Naive 220 Spd / 252 SAtk / 36 Atk. You loose a bit too much power that way, though.

blitzlefan

shake it off!
Sorry if this has been asked already (it probably has), but what's the difference between raw data and real data for usage statistics on Pokemon Showdown?
I'm planning on incorporating PS statistics into my IB Math SL Studies IA and it'd be a huge help if I knew how these differed. Thank you!

So I've built a whole bunch of pokemon in OU. Plenty of Sweeper ideas, plenty of walls.

But I'm not sure which ones will have the best synch.

Where can I go where I can post all of this and let raters pick them off one-by-one until I have a decent team of 6 without previous testing?

Okay, folks, I'm about to start my hardest project on Pokémon
Breeding Hidden Power Fire onto a Bulbasaur.

My ideal IVs would be (31/E/31/30/31/30)

I already have:
(31/O/31/31/31/31)

(31/31/E/31/O/31)

(31/O/31/31/31/E)

(31/E/31/31/O/O)

and a 6IV Ditto.

(E = Even; O = Odd)

Where do I go from here?

So I've built a whole bunch of pokemon in OU. Plenty of Sweeper ideas, plenty of walls.

But I'm not sure which ones will have the best synch.

Where can I go where I can post all of this and let raters pick them off one-by-one until I have a decent team of 6 without previous testing?
There's the Mentor program where someone will help you learn what makes a good team. Other than that, you can test a team on PO until it clicks - I don't think anyone will just offer to build you a team out of a list otherwise.

Why isn't Serene Grace flinching banned? It may be a bit gimmicky, but so is Endless Battle, but both are long and tedious and if Jirachi / Togekiss (/ blissey lol) is faster than you then it isn't fair anymore.

Why isn't Serene Grace flinching banned? It may be a bit gimmicky, but so is Endless Battle, but both are long and tedious and if Jirachi / Togekiss (/ blissey lol) is faster than you then it isn't fair anymore.
When the flinch chance is so high, it's almost not hax. Paraflinch has the same chance of burning their turn as Focus Blast has of hitting. I don't think Jirachi or Togekiss is so gamebreaking that they are banworthy - it's not like they're narrowing pick choices in the same way, say, MegaGar or MegaMom was.

Okay, folks, I'm about to start my hardest project on Pokémon
Breeding Hidden Power Fire onto a Bulbasaur.

My ideal IVs would be (31/E/31/30/31/30)

I already have:
(31/O/31/31/31/31)

(31/31/E/31/O/31)

(31/O/31/31/31/E)

(31/E/31/31/O/O)

and a 6IV Ditto.

(E = Even; O = Odd)

Where do I go from here?
If you are going for special saur ideal would be 0 atk, mix saur would be 30 attack. However, to be relastic... the odds are going to be against you.

Your 6IV Ditto will mess with your inheritance in terrible ways. Still right now, you don't seem to have any mon with two properly placed 30s.

Now this will seem odd, but drop the destiny knot for now. If you can only generate one IV at a time, it is at least two generations before one can possibly come up fire.

Or, as a much better option, if you know someone with Pokébank, RNG a 31/0(30)/31/30/31/30 Ditto, and get them to transfer it for you.

When the flinch chance is so high, it's almost not hax. Paraflinch has the same chance of burning their turn as Focus Blast has of hitting. I don't think Jirachi or Togekiss is so gamebreaking that they are banworthy - it's not like they're narrowing pick choices in the same way, say, MegaGar or MegaMom was.
I wasn't saying ban Jirachi / Togekiss, I was wondering how come Flinching isn't.

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Endless Battle is a completely different thing from paraflinch, the two should not even be compared. It can be annoying to face but it heavily relies on chance and can be beaten. Any Electric type beats the strategy due to immunity to paralysis and resistance to Iron Head/Air Slash, Taunt on something bulky, and others I'm too lazy to mention right now.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Flinching isn't optional, if it happens it happens, it's all based on chance and luck. There are also so many Pokemon that counter Jirachi and Togekiss. Endless Battles on the other hand are completely different and they had to go because they're ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)