Lower Tiers ORAS NU Role Compendium

i seperated wallbreakers into physical/special/mixed :000

Wallbreakers:

Physical:

Special:

Mixed:
vanilluxe would be mixed; it does carry ice shard. and uh, since when does Kec wallbreak, physical; speciall or mixed. and chatot isn't really a wallbreaker, more an annoyer/late game sweeper or choice mon. Swellow can't really run mixed because of terrible special attack and u-turn does not classify as mixed really, it should not be there. and while combusken hits really hard with dual fblast, magmortar is really overall a better special wallbreaker.

vanilluxe would be mixed; it does carry ice shard.
fair enough
and uh, since when does Kec wallbreak, physical; speciall or mixed.
mixed is actually a really cool set that hits hard on both sides, although i can kinda see where youre coming from. i mean its more of a wallbreaker than anything else so :0
chatot isn't really a wallbreaker, more an annoyer/late game sweeper or choice mon.
specs boomburst from chatot hits over 80% harder than specs swellow does and it hits so fucking hard lmao. like, it reliable 2hkos mega audino without any need for prior damage. quite frankly i doubt uve actually used it considering uve called it an "annoyer" when it doesnt even run chatter or whatever (or they shouldnt, lol) [/quote]
Swellow can't really run mixed because of terrible special attack and u-turn does not classify as mixed really, it should not be there.
mixed swellow is a legit set, and even if it werent im confused as why you classify ice shard vaniluxe as a mixed wallbreaker, but not u-turn swellow, considering ur not really utilizing these to wallbreak, they both serve equally important roles.
and while combusken hits really hard with dual fblast, magmortar is really overall a better special wallbreaker.
right, but its still a wallbreaker lol

i seperated wallbreakers into physical/special/mixed :000

Wallbreakers:

Physical:

Special:

Mixed:
Hey dude, nice list.
My only critique is that Samurott should possibly be in the special + mixed wallbreakers section as well as physical. 3 Special Attacks + Taunt and AoA Samurott with Priority AJ are both legit sets, and probably deserve a mention.

e: didnt see samu in special

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I'm nitpicking but Ice Shard Vanilluxe isn't a mixed wallbreaker anyway, it's a special wallbreaker with backup priority to RK random stuff, and Ice Shard doesn't help break walls. The only Vanilluxe set that would count as a mixed wallbreaker is one with Explosion and that's pretty rare. Same thing kind of applies to HJAD's post but it sometimes runs Megahorn on special sets so I'd still put it in mixed, just for a different reason \_(:))_/

Kiyo

the cowboy kid
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I'm nitpicking but Ice Shard Vanilluxe isn't a mixed wallbreaker anyway, it's a special wallbreaker with backup priority to RK random stuff, and Ice Shard doesn't help break walls. The only Vanilluxe set that would count as a mixed wallbreaker is one with Explosion and that's pretty rare. Same thing kind of applies to HJAD's post but it sometimes runs Megahorn on special sets so I'd still put it in mixed, just for a different reason \_(:))_/
yo can people start running explosion on random stuff again please? makes the game more interesting when stuff explodes (see xy: life orb explosion cryo for yama never panned out but it was cool!)

Orphic

perhaps
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
random mons with explosion
explosion:
(xl)
(he explodes into a million little shekels)

self-destruct:
This is a cool idea but I think it's overly specific compared to other sections like Archeops checks which reflect metagame trends, for example, heal bell users works as a category since these mons fulfill a role on a team, whereas nobody thinks they need an explosion user on every team.

Dis edit:

Last edited by a moderator:

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
yo can people start running explosion on random stuff again please? makes the game more interesting when stuff explodes (see xy: life orb explosion cryo for yama never panned out but it was cool!)
I would run explosion on everything if it hadn't been nerfed and could actually take out most anything.

Would a trick room sweeper section be too niche? itd include a bunch of the slower mons in the wallbreaker section. I'm thinking of Beheeyem, Eggy, Zweilous, Ursaring, Duosion, Rampardos, Marowak, Octillery, Glaceon, possibly Cacturne, and Lampent (fuck pyroar)

I think that would be a little too niche; I don't think Trick Room is all that good, and it's kind of intuitive what works as a Trick Room sweeper, it's just "slow and strong". It's probably not necessary.

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Can an Electric immunity section be added? Rotom, Lanturn and to a lesser extent Rotom-S are everywhere so it's really important to have them at least think twice about spamming Volt Switch instead of just free momentum every time they come in. Granted the three of them all have certain ways of crippling or sometimes even beating a lot of Electric immunes but it's still nice to be able to force them into mindgames. Initial list would look something like this:

Electric-type immunities:
Offensive:

Defensive:

Also I saw a few things from the current list I think should be removed:

- Vivillon from Malamar checks, it never runs Bug Buzz so it's not any more of a check than Signal Beam Rotom or something
- If Electivire was removed from Water-types then so should Zebstrika and Rotom, they're even frailer than Evire is
- Jumpluff from U-turn users, it should always be running SD in NU

Last edited:
Can an Electric immunity section be added? Rotom, Lanturn and to a lesser extent Rotom-S are everywhere so it's really important to have them at least think twice about spamming Volt Switch instead of just free momentum every time they come in. Granted the three of them all have certain ways of crippling or sometimes even beating a lot of Electric immunes but it's still nice to be able to force them into mindgames. Initial list would look something like this:

Electric-type immunities:
Offensive:

Defensive:

Also I saw a few things from the current list I think should be removed:

- Vivillon from Malamar checks, it never runs Bug Buzz so it's not any more of a check than Signal Beam Rotom or something
- If Electivire was removed from Water-types then so should Zebstrika and Rotom, they're even frailer than Evire is
- Jumpluff from U-turn users, it should always be running SD in NU
This can be a really cool concept only thing what should be added then in my oppinion is

Dis edit:
too :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Floatzel to momentum. (Baton pass)

Also, why is torterra in the "Other" section in boosting sweepers, I thought it's only viable set up moves were rock polish and maybe swords dance.

I think that would be a little too niche; I don't think Trick Room is all that good, and it's kind of intuitive what works as a Trick Room sweeper, it's just "slow and strong". It's probably not necessary.
the one thing I love about trick room is that while it is pretty inconsistent as a teamstyle, single pokemon carrying it can completely change the tide of a match. an opponent with a faster more offensively oriented team can easily suddenly have a disadvantage, and while it isnt the most reliable or long-term method of sweeping it can dramatically turn a losing situation into an upper hand.

Could we add Bulky SD scyther to Mega Dino checks? If he switches in as Cm dino Calm Minds up a +1 Dazzling Gleam is only a 4HK0 on a Bulky Scyther who can SD and Roost till Aerial Ace is a 2HKO. An Offensive Mega Dino with Fire Blast could prove a bit more problematic but this variant of Scyther is a good response to Rest Talk and Wish Tect MegaDino.

Personally, I think there should be a section for Pursuit trappers

So maybe have:

Skuntank, Liepard, Tauros and Pawniard?

Last edited:
the only good users of pursuit are skuntank and liepard (although liepard prefers twave or sucker). its really bad on pawniard, and tauros can almost always make better use of the moveslot. i see very little reason to make a section with two mons lol. trapping isnt really relevant in nu outside of skuntank

Kiyo

the cowboy kid
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
the only problem i have with giving it a section is the lack of usable pursuit users, I'm using the term usable rather than viable because there are mons that can viably run pursuit that i would rarely use i.e. bouff dusk heatmor stoutland metang scyther slaking watchog (i've used all of these at least once tbf and they can be effective)

at the same time pursuit is a broken move and is honestly something all nu teams have to prep for in some way or another so I can certainly see it earning a spot on that merit, hope to see more discussion and others thoughts

shiloh

is a Member of Senior Staffis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Tiering Lead
I mean my question is, how do you prepare for pursuit? Stop running ghost and psychic types, running Shed Shell on random mons? My problem with pursuit is you can't really prep for it, the only way to beat pursuit is to play around it in game.

I guess the best way to prep for Pursuit is packing things that can take care of the Trappers, but still that means you either have to have pull a double or let something take a 80BP Dark Type move as it switches out.

As someone who never played NU, I came to this thread to see what up with this tier, and I'm pretty surprised no one came with this yet...

Dual Screens:
Offensive:

Defensive:

Please, understand I'm not sure about if the mons above are really offensive/defensive and viable or not.
To add to this post a bit more, i'd say this section could be useful, but the list you made really needs to be cut down, this is what I'd realistically say it would be. Also the thing is due to the inherent nature of Dual Screens, you can't really have "offensive setters" since you want to run bulk on them in order to get up both screens.

Dual Screens:

As someone who never played NU, I came to this thread to see what's up with this tier, and I'm pretty surprised no one came with this yet...

Dual Screens:
Offensive:

Defensive:

Please, understand I'm not sure about the mons above being really offensive/defensive and viable or not.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I'm pretty iffy on adding a Pursuit section as well, given the small amount of viable Pursuit trappers we have available to use, and as metaphysical said, its somewhere between something you prepare for and just another beneficial asset to a team.

forsureitsme
I appreciate your contribution, but there are a few flaws here. First of all, it seems as thought you just did a simple dex search as to what Pokemon in the tier learn both screens, but the significant majority of them have a lot of difficulty fitting screens onto their moveset given that they'd usually want another coverage or utility move. Honestly I haven't seen dual screens used effectively since we lost Uxie, which was an incredibly good screens setter as it had Stealth Rock, U-turn, and Memento to complement it. Overall, I'm against adding this section mainly because screens just arent common enough to warrant it, and even on hyper offense teams (the builds which would generally use it) typically have a hazard lead and just 5 offensive mons.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)