Gen 6 [ORAS Hackmons] abusing stall [Peaked #1 / 1919 Elo / 96.2% GXE]

aerobee

Pure Hackmons
is a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
:xy/steelix-mega: :xy/audino-mega: :xy/giratina: :xy/blissey: :xy/regigigas: :xy/ho-oh:

abusing stall

1646959112653.png

Introduction
Pure Hackmons. Hackmons but pure. Being able to use any Ability and any combination of four moves on any Pokemon should, in theory, be a nightmare. Amid possible Huge Power, Shadow Tag, Mold Breaker, and No Guard sets, defensive counterplay, on paper, would be all but impossible to use, especially in an EV-limited metagame. In Generation 7 and BDSP (and previously SS) Pure Hackmons, the metagame is extremely offensive due to said offensive Pokemon being nearly unstoppable. Generation 7 has moves ignoring Wonder Guard, allowing offensive Pokemon to rip through most defensive counterplay (though balanced teams can work), and teams of 6 Arceus have consistently proven to be the most successful in BDSP Pure Hackmons. Even in SS Hackmons, OHKO moves were on nearly every Pokemon and Shell Smash sweepers, although fairly rare, could occasionally sweep despite "invincible" Eternamax on every team.

Generation 6, or ORAS, Pure Hackmons is different. Unlike other prominent generations of Hackmons, ORAS Hackmons allows for more varied playstyles. The metagame has an untrickable blanket check to physical Pokemon that's immune to Shadow Tag in Giratina, as well as powerful priority users that can remove offensive Pokemon more easily than in other generations. The EV limit, while detrimental on paper, actually helps priority users, as frailer offensive Pokemon, like MMX, MMY, and Mega Gengar get revenge-killed much more easily. Pursuit hitting offensive Pokemon much harder than in a full-EV metagame helps tremendously. Coverage issues mean obscenely powerful attackers, like Primal Groudon and Mega Gengar, usually need to forgo recovery or some other means to ensure longevity. Hazards are strengthened due to this, and defensive counterplay is sufficient for balances to be successful in the metagame.

But what about stall? It'd require tremendous defensive counterplay to threats one might encounter in a game, and on paper it'd be easy to break. And for "pure stall" with 6 defensive Pokemon, that'd also be true in practice. However, with a Pokemon to revenge-kill runaway sweepers and frailer breakers, stall can work to its fullest extent. A powerful priority user that's able to trap opposing offensive Pokemon is best for this, namely Shadow Tag Slaking or Regigigas. Over the last few months I've been experimenting with stall in ORAS Hackmons, and my most successful version is the subject of this RMT. When I laddered with an early version, and slowly edited the team, I was amazed by how far it could go on the ladder.

Achievements
This team got a 41-1 record on ladder (with 2 ties as well). It got to 1919 Elo and 96.2% GXE, meaning it carried me when I broke the record for highest legal Elo achieved on the ORAS Hackmons ladder. It's also the first time anyone has legally made it to the 1900s.

1646959151725.png

1646959175062.png

Teambuilding Process
Because stall was so unexplored in ORAS Hackmons, I had to create several versions that built upon one another. Every version checks the dominant threats in the metagame, but the later versions do so with fewer plays needed, and have a good matchup against a wider array of teams.

:registeel:

I knew I needed Giratina and two Wonder Guards, so why not start with something different? I wanted something to deal with -ate users, which nearly always use hazards which can be a problem for the rest of the game. Registeel resists all -ate users and is bulky enough to scout for Fire-type coverage, so I ran a Magic Bounce set.

:registeel: :sableye-mega:

I then added FEAR Sableye because I anticipated the team would be quite weak to opposing Huge Power users. With Flame Orb, Curse, and Pain Split, it can be a real pain to face without a Mold Breaker user.

:registeel: :sableye-mega: :giratina:

Prankster Giratina blanket checks 90% of all physical Pokemon and can even come in on some special Mold Breakers and force them out with Encore.

:registeel: :sableye-mega: :giratina: :blissey:

Wonder Guard Blissey was necessary to eat hits from powerful special Mold Breakers lacking Psystrike or Secret Sword, such as Mega Rayquaza, Mega Diancie, and Mega Sceptile. It's also helped against more niche Mold Breakers like Primal Kyogre.

:registeel: :sableye-mega: :giratina: :blissey: :leavanny:

Primordial Sea Leavanny may sound like an odd pick, but it's the hardest Primal Groudon check that isn't stopped cold by Shadow Tag users. I'd decided that Giratina wasn't enough, as I anticipated Primal Groudon would eventually break through it with Dark Void.

:registeel: :sableye-mega: :giratina: :blissey: :leavanny: :yveltal:

Finally I needed a Pokemon that could deal with Mega Gengar, Mega Latios, and MMY in one, and there isn't much that can do that aside from Regenerator Yveltal.

At this point the team looked solid enough to test against good opponents in friendlies. I did so, and while it generally did well against what was brought (I won more than 60% of the time against random teams brought), the team still had numerous issues. Dark Void into Shell Smash by Mega Gengar or Mega Latios could spell disaster for me if the right plays were made by the opponent, Leavanny was useless against anything bar Dark Void / Shell Smash / Thousand Arrows / V-Create Primal Groudon, Mega Sableye couldn't easily heal against a team using Mega Diancie or Xerneas, and Registeel often couldn't stay in against hazard Wonder Guards, in particular Thousand Arrows Mega Swampert or Thousand Arrows / Sacred Fire Wonder Guard Primal Groudon.

:steelix-mega: :audino-mega: :giratina: :blissey: :slowbro-mega: :yveltal:
(sprites are clickable)

I then replaced Registeel with Mega Steelix, which sacrificed the Boomburst -ate user matchup but helped with physical Wonder Guards; its passable special bulk lets it deal with Xerneas and even take a hit from +2 Mega Latios in a pinch. Mega Audino checks non-Sludge Wave Mega Gengar, something crucial when Giratina can't safely come in to force it out. Poison Heal Mega Slowbro dealt with Primal Groudon as well as Leavanny did (though it was suspect to getting worn down if I relied on it too much), and actually switched into other physical Mold Breakers and some Huge Powers.

After testing the team, however, a fundamental issue came up. There wasn't much I could do to improve this team version, but it still got broken through occasionally by powerful Mold Breakers with Substitute / Shell Smash + Baton Pass support. At this point I realized that I'd have to have some way to quickly remove Huge Powers and runaway sweepers, and remembered games from someone on ladder using Shadow Tag Regigigas.

:steelix-mega: :audino-mega: :giratina: :blissey: :regigigas: :yveltal:

I replaced Mega Slowbro with Regigigas and it worked beautifully - aside from Ghost-types like Mega Gengar, bulky Normal-type resists like Dialga, and rare Shed Shell users, Regigigas removed most threats without much trouble. I changed Giratina to a Poison Heal set for a little while, but I changed it back to Prankster because of its ability to force sweepers out.

:steelix-mega: :audino-mega: :giratina: :blissey: :regigigas: :ho-oh:

At this point the only major issue was that Regenerator Yveltal was walled by Wonder Guards not weak to Dark, Poison, or Fighting (and therefore was deadweight against teams without Mega Gengar or a special Mold Breaker it's not weak to), so I replaced it. Magic Guard Ho-Oh can spread poison to even Magic Bounce users with Psycho Shift and threaten most Pokemon that can't be poisoned with Flare Blitz. This was the stall version I ended up with by the end of my ladder run.

The Team

:xy/steelix-mega: | :audino-mega: | :giratina: | :blissey: | :regigigas: | :ho-oh:

Steelix-Mega @ Shed Shell
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD
Impish Nature
IVs: 30 Spe

- Perish Song
- Aromatherapy
- Recover

- Iron Head

Mega Steelix isn't too common in the metagame, but I used it here because its amazing physical bulk lets it do wonders against physical Wonder Guards. Its special bulk, while not great, is still usable against most special Wonder Guards, which, with its Steel / Ground typing, allows it to switch into common offensive Wonder Guards, like non-Fire move Xerneas or Boomburst Arceus. In a pinch Mega Steelix can come in on some physical Mold Breakers and even some Huge Powers.

Perish Song, while unseen in the metagame, is actually quite useful as it's the only move aside from Ghost-type Curse that always forces opposing sweepers out, something that's especially useful against teams with SubPass Giratina. The move also often forces a switch the turn after it's used, due to the threat of Regigigas coming in and trapping the opposing Pokemon. In a 1v1 situation Perish Song means Mega Steelix will usually win as it will typically move last (this actually saved me once). Aromatherapy allows for teammates to be punished less hard with sleep, burn, or poison, which is useful against common Magic Bounce Giratina + sweeper team structures. Recovery, obviously, is necessary for longevity. Iron Head is a reliable STAB move that lets Mega Steelix hit opposing Mega Audino and Xerneas decently hard and OHKO Mega Diancie; the flinch chance is useful to break Mega Audino. Magic Bounce prevents most teams from setting hazards reliably. Shed Shell prevents removal by Shadow Tag MMX and Primal Groudon. The EV spread used lets Mega Steelix survive +2 Mega Latios' Spacial Rend, and 30 Speed IVs lets it speedcreep standard Mega Audino.

:steelix-mega: | :xy/audino-mega: | :giratina: | :blissey: | :regigigas: | :ho-oh:

Audino-Mega @ Shed Shell
Ability: Wonder Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe

- Chatter
- Recover
- Defog
- Magic Coat

Mega Audino, on the other hand, is considered a top-tier Wonder Guard user and is a very common pick on balances, due to its ability to come in relatively easily, pivot slowly, and check one of the most dangerous Mold Breakers in Mega Gengar.

Chatter deviates from standard Mega Audino sets, but I personally find it a solid countermeasure for SubPass users or offensive switch-ins. In Generation 6, confusion has a 50% chance of triggering each turn, making it much more risky for the opponent than in later generations; I took advantage of this. Even non-Wonder Guard defensive Pokemon like to switch out because of the risk of relinquishing momentum due to confusion. Another bonus to this move is that it removes Lum Berry from opposing Mold Breakers. Recovery is for longevity. Defog is useful to prevent chip in longer games, as often the game depended on Mega Audino and its teammates not running out of recovery PP faster than the opponent. I find Defog to be better placed on a defensive non-Magic Bounce Pokemon because doing so allows for more switch-ins to hazard users, in particular those that can threaten Mega Steelix, like Primal Groudon. Magic Coat eliminates mind games against opposing No Guard users (unless said No Guard user has tremendous hazard support), and also bounces back Parting Shots from opposing Wonder Guards. Wonder Guard forces switches well and prevents No Guard users from running over the team. Shed Shell prevents Shadow Tag Mega Aerodactyl and Lugia from removing Mega Audino. A standard physically defensive spread is run to minimize damage taken from most opposing Mold Breakers, allowing Mega Audino to check Mega Gengar and scout opposing Mold Breakers, in particular Mega Rayquaza, more easily. Minimum Speed often lets Mega Audino use Chatter after an opposing Wonder Guard pivots, confusing switch-ins. I considered running Level 99 Mega Audino but the decrease in bulk actually slightly affects rolls (for example, Choice Band Primal Groudon OHKOes with V-Create 81% of the time against Level 99 Mega Audino, as opposed to 69% of the time against Level 100 ones).

:steelix-mega: | :audino-mega: | :xy/giratina: | :blissey: | :regigigas: | :ho-oh:

Giratina @ Griseous Orb
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Will-O-Wisp
- Encore
- Curse
- Roost

Giratina acts as a blanket check for the vast majority of physical attackers, as well as a potential switch-in to Shell Smash Mold Breakers that can force them out if it gets in safely.

Will-O-Wisp performs two functions: it halves opposing Pokemon's Attack stats by half, and chips them by a potentially significant 12% each turn. Unlike Curse, without a cleric burn is permanent, which is particularly useful against Mold Breakers and Huge Powers with no recovery. Encore helps force out opposing Mold Breakers using Shell Smash. Curse provides consistent damage against even Magic Bounce users while the user loses 50% of its max HP. While on paper this move may be hard to use, in practice it's not hard to click because of Giratina's bulk and access to recovery. It's even better than it seems because most offensive Pokemon don't run recovery, and Wish support, while annoying, can be taken advantage of by switching into the right Pokemon. Roost is reliable recovery. Prankster is used to use Will-O-Wisp and Encore opposing sweepers before they can attack to force them out; it also helps for when Giratina needs to heal before the opponent attacks. Griseous Orb prevents Choiced opponents from crippling Giratina with Trick, and also makes Giratina more resistant to Huge Power Knock Off users. I used a standard physically defensive EV spread to check Primal Groudon and MMX adequately, with 8 Speed EVs to speedcreep most opposing Giratina.

:steelix-mega: | :audino-mega: | :giratina: | :xy/blissey: | :regigigas: | :ho-oh:

Blissey @ Shed Shell
EVs: 168 HP / 88 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Recover
- Transform
- Knock Off
- Stealth Rock

Blissey walls special Shell Smash Mold Breakers that rip through the team otherwise; Knock Off removes occasional Shed Shell Mold Breakers that mess the team up otherwise. It also sets hazards, punishing Magic Bounce switch-ins by removing their items. It can even scout opposing Pokemon's sets, as well as transform into a predicted Mold Breaker switch-in.

Recover is necessary for longevity. Transform lets Blissey scout opposing sets, helping the user formulate a gameplan. This is especially important in Pure Hackmons because of how any Pokemon can run any move, allowing for a wide variety of plausible strategies being used by a particular Pokemon. The move even lets Blissey Transform into a Mold Breaker coming in if the user predicts correctly. Knock Off removes opposing Shed Shells, allowing Regigigas to remove most Mold Breakers without too much trouble; it can also remove annoying Leftovers or Toxic Orbs from Giratina and Poison Heal or Magic Guard users, as well as Lum Berries from offensive Mold Breakers. Stealth Rock provides a way to chip all opposing Pokemon (bar rare Magic Guard sets) in tandem with encouraging switches. Wonder Guard forces switches effectively and prevents Gastro Acid No Guard users from removing teammates. Shed Shell prevents immediate removal by Shadow Tag users. The EV spread used originally let Blissey switch into +2 Mold Breaker Mega Diancie, but there was a high-ladder player running Mold Breaker Steam Eruption Primal Kyogre, which only took 8 more HP EVs to safely switch into. I wanted a little bit of physical bulk investment to survive hits from surprise Pursuit users (from Gastro Acid or Mold Breaker users). Minimum Speed lets Blissey use Knock Off after most Wonder Guards pivot so it affects offensive Pokemon coming in.

:steelix-mega: | :audino-mega: | :giratina: | :blissey: | :xy/regigigas: | :ho-oh:

Regigigas @ Leftovers
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Extreme Speed

- Bullet Punch

- Spikes

Shadow Tag Regigigas is a fun idea I stole from a ladder player and improved upon. It traps most Mold Breaker users and either heavily chips them or outright removes them with Fake Out + Extreme Speed, with the other two moves being filler. Regigigas takes advantage of Shell Smash lowering defenses to damage opposing sweepers more, removing them effectively (bar Mega Gengar, Shed Shell Mold Breakers and niche users like Dialga). 95% of the time Slaking is a better Pokemon in the metagame, but I chose Regigigas because it can switch into Protean users and Mold Breaker Mega Latios more effectively than Slaking can.

Fake Out and Extreme Speed deal massive damage to most non-resists, capitalizing on Regigigas' massive Attack stat. There being an EV limit in ORAS Hackmons helps tremendously, as offensive Pokemon can't invest as much in bulk. Bullet Punch is just a coverage move, hitting Mega Diancie, Mega Aerodactyl, and severely chipped Mega Gengar; I chose this move specifically to target Rock-types resisting Fake Out and Extreme Speed. Spikes is useful against teams without a Magic Bounce user as a way to chip offensive Pokemon that can otherwise be annoyances for the team. It's especially nice on a Shadow Tag user because Regigigas can potentially set 3 layers before removing passive Pokemon from the field. Shadow Tag prevents switching, allowing Regigigas to remove opposing sweepers and breakers with minimal mind games. Leftovers provides recovery from chip damage and synergizes well with Fake Out, as flinching the opposing Pokemon allows for minor recovery. The spread used maximizes overall bulk while letting Regigigas hit hard, speedcreeping other Pokemon with 100 base Speed with 8 Speed EVs.

:steelix-mega: | :audino-mega: | :giratina: | :blissey: | :regigigas: | :xy/ho-oh:

Ho-Oh @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Psycho Shift
- Flare Blitz

- Light of Ruin
- Recover

Magic Guard Ho-Oh checks a wide variety of special attackers, including Mega Gengar, Mega Sceptile, and offensive Wonder Guard Xerneas. Even the ridiculously powerful Protean Mega Latios can't break through, with Sludge Wave doing at most 45%. In a pinch, it can switch into powerful Choice Specs attackers like Mega Rayquaza and MMY, and can even play around some Shadow Tag MMX sets. While not very common in the metagame, this set has done me well in battles and is quite honestly underrated.

Psycho Shift spreads Toxic Orb's poison to nearly every Pokemon that's not a Poison- or Steel-type, allowing for progress against opposing Wonder Guards. While it may seem not to synergize well with Giratina's Will-O-Wisp, the majority of the time issues with inflicting the right status isn't an issue as Giratina and Ho-Oh encourage different Pokemon to come in. Flare Blitz takes care of most Pokemon that can't get poisoned, like Mega Scizor, Registeel, and Mega Steelix; Drapion is an exception but it can be broken through by Giratina. As a powerful STAB move, Flare Blitz can also OHKO frailer sweepers, such as Mega Gengar and Mega Sceptile, after a Shell Smash use. Light of Ruin, while unorthodox, is a good filler move on Ho-Oh; it lets it break opposing Magic Bounce Giratina's Substitutes and KO FEAR Mega Sableye / Spiritomb. The move also allows for better chip against MMX, Mega Rayquaza, and Mega Gyarados than Flare Blitz does. Recovery is essential. Magic Guard prevents hazard chip (as Ho-Oh would take 50% from Stealth Rock without the ability), Curse chip, poison damage, and recoil from Flare Blitz and Light of Ruin. Toxic Orb works well with Psycho Shift, as the combination means poison can be spread easily; it also prevents Ho-Oh from being affected by sleep moves after it is poisoned. I ran a specially defensive spread to best check special Mold Breaker and Protean users, with a Sassy nature to prevent Flare Blitz or Light of Ruin from getting weakened.

Checks and Counters
There is no such thing as an invincible team in Pokemon, and this is still the case in Pure Hackmons. There are a few weaknesses that this particular team has that make certain matchups painful to play against.

:aerodactyl-mega: :gengar-mega:

While I tried preparing for Shadow Tag as well as I could, offensive users of the Ability, in particular Mega Aerodactyl, posed a problem when paired with a Pokemon only Ho-Oh walled, namely triple attack Mega Gengar. Mega Gengars with Spore or Dark Void are manageable as they only have two attacks, so either Mega Audino or Blissey can take care of it.

:mewtwo-mega-x: :mewtwo-mega-x:

Competent dual MMX teams are a nightmare to face, as switch-ins aren't fully safe and Giratina can fall to a well-played Lum Berry MMX after chip. MMX is also too bulky for Regigigas to remove it with Fake Out + Extreme Speed; the user will have to play carefully to gain opportunities to damage MMX with Fake Out.

:gyarados-mega: :tyranitar-mega: :yveltal: :slaking: :regigigas:

Powerful Huge Power Pursuit users can force mind games when Ho-Oh or Giratina is Pursuit trapped. Fortunately, all of these but Mega Tyranitar can be removed with Regigigas, and all of these can be taken advantage of by Blissey if the 50-50 is won.

:lucario-mega: :groudon-primal:

If you want to counterteam, you can run No Guard Mega Lucario with Gear Grind and Dynamic Punch, or Shed Shell Mold Breaker Primal Groudon with Spore, Shell Smash, Thousand Arrows, and a filler move.

:smeargle:

Unexpected sets can threaten the team if too much damage is done; for example, a No Guard Mega Diancie could potentially KO Mega Steelix coming in. However, these are pretty rare against more competent opponents and so I wouldn't worry about them too much.
The CB Shadow Tag Aerodactyl Balance and Dual MMX Offense samples have extremely good matchups and players should have no issues beating stall with these teams.

Replays

It's impossible to learn how a team works without seeing it in action. Here are some higher-level replays that I've selected that show how the team should be used. The ORAS Hackmons ladder isn't great skill-wise so keep in mind that even some high-elo opponents may not have played well in these replays. In some replays I may be using an outdated version with Poison Heal Giratina. Surprisingly, despite this team being a stall games with it aren't much longer than those for balance teams.

:pidgeot-mega: :mewtwo-mega-y: :kyurem-black: :beedrill-mega: :audino-mega: :giratina: - vs. NToTheN part III, 1511 Elo

While Ho-Oh dies early in the game, setup is rendered null with Curse chip from Giratina and Blissey walling Mega Pidgeot. MMY is chipped, and it cannot KO anything afterwards for fear of getting revenge-killed by Regigigas. Regigigas removes Black Kyurem with Shadow Tag and FakeSpeed. Blissey removes Mega Pidgeot's Plate, and it is walled by Giratina for the rest of the match.

:kyogre-primal: :scizor-mega: :diancie-mega: :diancie-mega: :gengar-mega: :gyarados-mega: - vs. NB402141, roomtour game

Mega Gyarados threatens Giratina but gets weakened by King's Shield, allowing Regigigas to pick it off. Ho-Oh stomachs a hit from Mega Gengar with ease and OHKOes with Flare Blitz. Huge Power Mega Diancie KOs Mega Audino, but gets revenge-killed by Regigigas.

:xerneas: :deoxys-speed: :arceus: :groudon-primal: :gengar-mega: :mewtwo-mega-x: - vs. Fun trading, 1568 Elo

No Guard Arceus is played around carefully (partly because this user is known for running unorthodox sets on ladder). Ho-Oh makes progress against Primal Groudon without recovery. MMX gets +6 Attack and grabs a KO, but gets revenge-killed by Regigigas. The opponent can't make meaningful progress at the end of the game, as Pokemon that can do so are KO'ed.

:latios-mega: :latios-mega: :latios-mega: :arceus: :sableye-mega: :kyurem-black: - vs. Sheeplol, 1577 Elo

Ho-Oh walls Protean Mega Latios but eventually gets surprised by a No Guard one. Regigigas chips Protean and No Guard Mega Latios, KO'ing the Protean one. FEAR Mega Sableye gives the team a hard time (as Ho-Oh wasn't running Light of Ruin at the time). Regigigas sets hazards, forcing Defog usage. Blissey is sacked to Mold Breaker Mega Latios and Regigigas revenge-kills it. In the long game Giratina, Mega Steelix, and Regigigas lose, but Mega Sableye uses Curse, faints, and Perish Song Mega Steelix wins me the game.

:sableye-mega: :audino-mega: :regigigas: :gengar-mega: :groudon-primal: :giratina: - vs. Aergyl2, 1736 Elo

Mega Sableye gets KO'ed by Ho-Oh early on; Ho-Oh then gets revenge-killed by opposing Shadow Tag Regigigas. Blissey and Mega Steelix work together to prevent setup by removing items and using Perish Song. Momentum is ceded when Griseous Orb Giratina isn't affected by Primal Groudon's Trick. Blissey walls Mega Gengar and removes its Plate. Near the end, Regigigas stays in on Primal Groudon, stomachs a V-Create, and KOes it.

:sableye-mega: :latios-mega: :latios-mega: :latios-mega: :arceus: :diancie-mega: - vs. lati spam go brrr, 1662 Elo

Regigigas leads and uses Fake Out; I determine the opponent leaded No Guard Mega Latios because it did less than it should've. Ho-Oh walls Protean Mega Latios and removes Mega Sableye. Mega Steelix walls Mega Diancie and bounces back Stealth Rock. Mega Steelix walls Mega Latios, KOes it, and the game ends.

:groudon-primal: :xerneas: :kyogre-primal: :regigigas: :groudon-primal: :giratina: - vs. NToTheN, 1751 Elo

Primal Kyogre threatens to sweep, but Blissey removes its Shed Shell and is sacked; Regigigas revenge-kills it. Ho-Oh can make progress with Psycho Shift (and annoy Giratina with Light of Ruin), while the opposing team cannot as Primal Groudon is hardwalled by Giratina.

:giratina: :deoxys-attack: :regigigas: :gyarados: :sableye-mega: :giratina: - vs. vaithhh, 1645 Elo

Regigigas hard switches into Mold Breaker Deoxys-Attack and KOes it. Ho-Oh removes Mega Sableye but is revenge-killed by Huge Power Pursuit Regigigas. Shadow Tag Perish Song Giratina is switched around by the entire team, as bar Ho-Oh every Pokemon has a way around Shadow Tag. Gyarados gets no chance to sweep, Shadow Tag Giratina is KOed by burn chip, and the game ends.

:rayquaza-mega: :mewtwo-mega-y: :regigigas: :xerneas: :groudon-primal: :giratina: - vs. NToTheN part III, 1676 Elo

Blissey removes Shed Shell Mega Rayquaza's item, preventing it from setting up safely. Offensive Xerneas is threatened by Mega Steelix using Iron Head. Ho-Oh makes progress by spreading poison. Regigigas hard switches into Mega Rayquaza, KOes it, then gets revenge-killed by opposing Huge Power Regigigas. Ho-Oh KOes heavily chipped Giratina with Light of Ruin. Giratina burns Xerneas and MMY, and as the latter is on a timer and can't KO enough Pokemon to win before fainting, the game ends.

Potential Changes to Team
The team I wrote about was the version I laddered ORAS Hackmons with. However, said version isn't necessarily the best team that could be made; I came across a couple of sets that would arguably be as good (or even better) than some sets I used.

:xy/yveltal:

Yveltal @ Shed Shell
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Beat Up / Knock Off
- Pursuit

- Toxic Spikes
- Recover

I realized after laddering that there was a way to remedy Ho-Oh's problems with Shadow Tag and Pursuit users, and that was to replace the Pokemon entirely. Mold Breaker Yveltal still deals with Mega Sableye, breaks Giratina's Substitute, and checks triple attack Mega Gengar with ease. In addition, it can switch out from opposing Pursuit users without too much trouble, Imposter-proofing isn't a huge issue, and it isn't immediately removed by Shadow Tag Mega Aerodactyl. Its only downside is that it's much harder to use than Ho-Oh due to Mega Gengar with sleep being able to force guesses by the player if unscouted. Beat Up breaks itemless Giratina's Substitute while Knock Off doesn't reliably do so; the latter removes items from even Wonder Guard users. Pursuit traps Mega Gengar and removes it if a 50-50 is won by the user. Toxic Spikes allows for removal of Lum Berries, and most Shed Shell users get slowly chipped over time. Recovery is always essential. I'd actually recommend running this set over Ho-Oh because it allows the user to win a larger amount of matchups.

:xy/registeel:

Registeel @ Shed Shell
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Perish Song
- Aromatherapy
- Recover
- Night Shade

Registeel does everything Mega Steelix does, except it struggles more with offensive physical hazard users, such as Mega Swampert. In return, Registeel switches into -ate users and Wonder Guard Xerneas more easily. It has to rely on Night Shade instead of Iron Head due to its poorer Attack stat, but it does a better job of preventing SubPass Xerneas and Giratina from passing Substitutes to a sweeper.

Some other options are to run Silk Scarf on Regigigas for a guaranteed OHKO against opposing Deoxys-S with HP investment (which helps on ladder specifically), and to run Slaking over Regigigas for slightly better physical bulk in exchange for more difficult hard switches against Mega Latios and other Protean users.

Conclusion

And that's it! When I first started building a stall team I knew I could make it work in certain matchups, but I didn't expect stall to work as well as it did, especially on the ladder as people run unexpected sets. Again, in ORAS Hackmons balances and offenses are the most relevant teams because ample offensive pressure is necessary on nearly every team. Building a team without much of said pressure seemed like a daunting task, but due to Generation 6 Hackmons' EV limit, revenge-killing opposing offensive Pokemon isn't nearly as difficult. After going far - the highest anyone had ever gone on the ladder legally - I feel proud of exploring a playstyle that many top players had deemed terrible in the metagame and making it work. This team is now a sample and can be found here.

ORAS Hackmons is remarkably balanced and enjoyable, so if you haven't tried the metagame yet I encourage you to try it! Also, feel free to check out the Old Shark room on PS!

I hope you enjoyed reading this RMT!

Importable: https://pokepast.es/faa561349dbb6032

Last edited:
Hello kool team but I want to replace blissey to

Duskull @ Flame Orb
Level: 2
EVs: 1 HP
- Psycho Shift
- Pain Split
- Recover
- Substitute

This gives us another pokemon to kill people and wonder guards pls review this :)

aerobee

Pure Hackmons
is a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Hello kool team but I want to replace blissey to

Duskull @ Flame Orb
EVs: 1 HP
- Psycho Shift
- Pain Split
- Recover
- Substitute

This gives us another pokemon to kill people and wonder guards pls review this :)
Hey glad you like the team, was taking a break until April and I didn't notice this post was made. First of all, instead of Duskull I would recommend Mega Sableye because it isn't weak to Pursuit; the Fairy weakness is more than worth it. Additionally, I don't think Substitute is worth it because counterplay is mostly offensive and you're going to be switching around a lot – I think one of Aromatherapy/King's Shield/Baton Pass/Spikes/Whirlwind is more useful in the majority of matchups. Make sure you have exactly 15 raw HP so Flame Orb damage is as little as possible. The rest of the set is good and I wouldn't change it.

So instead of your Duskull I would be running this:

Sableye-Mega @ Flame Orb
EVs: 76 HP / 196 Atk / 76 Def / 156 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Psycho Shift
- Curse
- Pain Split
- Aromatherapy / Baton Pass / King's Shield / Whirlwind

Now for why I wouldn't run FEAR Wonder Guard on this team. I actually tried incomporating FEAR Sableye into this stall beforehand and I felt it didn't work that well for a few reasons. In ORAS Hackmons there is such a wide variety of threats you may encounter that you realistically can't defensively handle everything in just 6 moveslots (which is why I ran STAG Regigigas rather than an additional fat mon), and Sableye instantly drops to any decent Mold Breaker user. This includes Mold Breaker Pursuit, which Sableye has no counterplay against, and you're at a severe disadvantage with only one unfainted Wonder Guard user. Should you change the team to have three Wonder Guards, it would most likely come at the cost of losing really hard to fast Taunt users (if Magic Bounce is removed), most Mold Breaker users (if Prankster Giratina is removed), nukes like Choice Band Mega Rayquaza (if Regigigas is removed), and unscouted Mega Gengar or opposing WG Sableye (if Yveltal is removed). While Mega Sableye would be really nice to have, providing ample pressure over time, I don't think running it on stall maximizes its odds of winning.

tldr teambuilding is too tight to be able to fit FEAR Wonder Guard without making the team vulnerable to select major threats.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)