Sticky Orange Islands SQSA Thread

The key difference between Jugulis and Flutter Mane is that Flutter Mane is a ghost. In a follow-up post above I mentioned that apparently ghosts are auto-despawned during the day, which presumably occurs somewhere else in code and not the spawn tables, and evidently doesn't carve out an exception for flutter mane or area zero (whether intended or not).
The ghosts that only show up at night work that way because they’re Pokémon coded to show up at night, not because they’re ghosts. For example sinistea and dreepy spawn all day despite being ghost type, and umbreon only spawns at night despite not being ghost type. Assuming the pastebin I showed earlier is correct bc there wasn’t a typo or something, flutter mane is coded to show up all day. If there’s a separate factor causing ghost types to despawn every morning, they would start spawning again immediately and still be available all day like dreepy. It sounds to me like the “ghost types despawn in the morning” thing you’re talking about is just saying that nighttime Pokémon despawn immediately when the time of day changes rather than staying in the overworld until they’re unloaded, which i think I’ve seen with gastly in the morning and gardevoir in the evening, and is pretty much the only way the lycanroc forms can work.

Last edited:
The ghosts that only show up at night work that way because they’re Pokémon coded to show up at night, not because they’re ghosts. For example sinistea and dreepy spawn all day despite being ghost type, and umbreon only spawns at night despite not being ghost type. Assuming the pastebin I showed earlier is correct bc there wasn’t a typo or something, flutter mane is coded to show up all day. If there’s a separate factor causing ghost types to despawn every morning, they would start spawning again immediately and still be available all day like dreepy. It sounds to me like the “ghost types despawn in the morning” thing you’re talking about is just saying that nighttime Pokémon despawn immediately when the time of day changes rather than staying in the overworld until they’re unloaded, which i think I’ve seen with gastly in the morning and gardevoir in the evening, and is pretty much the only way the lycanroc forms can work.
It could definitely be the case that the ghost explanation in the video I referred to was wrong/incomplete, but whatever the reason (non-shiny) Flutter Mane does not show up during the day.

Austin John also has a video about this.

It could definitely be the case that the ghost explanation in the video I referred to was wrong/incomplete, but whatever the reason (non-shiny) Flutter Mane does not show up during the day.

Austin John also has a video about this.
True there could be something weird with flutter mane specifically. (Or something specific to Scarlet since dreepy is Violet exclusive?) Maybe something broken with the fade in/out animation since that seems to be involved but overall pretty weird.

Edit: the comments of that video say the non-shiny ones show up briefly when you press ZL so it seems like they’re always there even in daytime just invisible/intangible, which is why nothing else was spawning. Pretty neat tbh

Last edited:
I've never played gen 7 and heard conflicting opinions on whether SM or USUM are better, which would you recommend? I heard USUM are harder Games which I like

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
I've never played gen 7 and heard conflicting opinions on whether SM or USUM are better, which would you recommend? I heard USUM are harder Games which I like
Story-wise, SM win. But mechanically, there's no denying USUM are superior. They have more areas, more Pokemon, more postgame quests, and all the typical upper version QoL additions like tutor moves and better item availability. They are indeed also harder.

The only major feature USUM lack is that they can't connect to the demo, thus cannot receive Ash-Greninja.

Story-wise, SM win. But mechanically, there's no denying USUM are superior. They have more areas, more Pokemon, more postgame quests, and all the typical upper version QoL additions like tutor moves and better item availability. They are indeed also harder.

The only major feature USUM lack is that they can't connect to the demo, thus cannot receive Ash-Greninja.
Okay then USUM will be my choice, thank you

This is probably the stupidest question ever but... How do you change the player image in SV?
I see occasionally people with stuff like Sprigatito or other things instead of the default player picture but apparently I'm too dumb to figure where to change it...

This is probably the stupidest question ever but... How do you change the player image in SV?
I see occasionally people with stuff like Sprigatito or other things instead of the default player picture but apparently I'm too dumb to figure where to change it...
I believe if you open your profile (Map, then it's an option like the dex), you can then take a new picture for it (Can't use one you've already taken unless I'm mistaken.)

Last edited:
Is there a trick to the auction stalls in SV or is it just random. Or, worse, is it impossible to actually get a "good" deal

Like I'm looking at this Bottle Cap x5 for 50k starting, as an example, and the first bid was 70k and it kept going past 100 at which point i just reset since it's objectively a worse deal at that point. They're all like this.

Is there a trick to the auction stalls in SV or is it just random. Or, worse, is it impossible to actually get a "good" deal

Like I'm looking at this Bottle Cap x5 for 50k starting, as an example, and the first bid was 70k and it kept going past 100 at which point i just reset since it's objectively a worse deal at that point. They're all like this.
I havent been able to find a consistent pattern honestly, I always just do the lower "higher bid", for items that can be bought i give up if they reach higher than shop price, for other items i may keep going either ways since they're otherwise hard to obtain (like when they throw like 80 EV berries)

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor

I looked up two guides and a video and, while nothing concrete, here is a strategy that seems to work:

1. At the start pass. Let the NPCs come up with the "new" cost.

2. If the new cost looks too low (that no matter what you bet they'll be again), pass again to let them decide on a new higher cost.

3. Once the cost looks high enough, make a high bid and that should be enough to make one of the NPCs withdraw.

4. If there is still one NPC will bidding, it's a risk what choice you do. A small bid could be enough to make them withdraw, but if it isn't you'll probably have to bid a bit more before winning. If you bid big you may end the auction right there though this comes with two risks: (1) Turns out a smaller bid would have won so you wasted some money, (2) The NPC stays in and now you're going to have to spend a lot more had you just stuck with low betting.

Oh, I did some testing on this the other night! As far as I can tell, if you save before the auction and soft reset, the prices that get the NPC competitors to dip out are the same every time (which also means the price you can buy it for is the same every time), no matter what kind of strategy you use. Essentially the feature boils down to "random deal at a semirandom but predetermined price," and the mini game is just a layer to obscure it so you don't know what you're getting into upfront, not actually a way to influence the price.

It seems like the intended, uh, "reading?" of the different strategies is that choosing to pass for a round makes the price go up more slowly ("reward") but forces an autolose if another NPC dips out at the same time and there's only one competitor left ("risk")... but the end result price is the same any time you actually end up being the "last one standing," so there's no advantage at all except maybe making an NPC happier.
On the other hand, raising the price more quickly seemed like it was supposed to be a tool to "scare" NPCs out of bidding higher, but... I kept getting exactly the same final price no matter which option I picked each round - I tried once doing the lower option every time, once doing the higher option and once alternating between the two, and I paid the exact same final price each time (in my case it was exactly 213,500 for 23 HP Ups over several tests, valued at 230,000 in stores).
I dunno if I was missing anything, but I was never able to get the final price to vary and I assume that's not a real element of the feature.

I think they maybe just forgot that Bottle Caps could be bought in stores? because in general it seems like the price range for buyable items is supposed to be lower than their store prices, while the price range for stuff like Berries that you can't buy in bulk any other way is understandably higher than the minimal prices they have when the player sells them... but I was also getting weirdly inflated prices for Bottle Caps that were just worse than buying from Delibird every time.
I've been getting totally-worthwhile deals for insane quantities of stuff like EV-reducing Berries, I'm pretty sure different kinds of Poké Balls can have low-ish bulk prices, and I've heard of other items like Apricorn Balls and Gold Bottle Caps that can't be purchased in stores, but some combination of the random price ranges and lack of player influence definitely means that not every auction is worth pursuing to begin with.

Oh, I did some testing on this the other night! As far as I can tell, if you save before the auction and soft reset, the prices that get the NPC competitors to dip out are the same every time (which also means the price you can buy it for is the same every time), no matter what kind of strategy you use. Essentially the feature boils down to "random deal at a semirandom but predetermined price," and the mini game is just a layer to obscure it so you don't know what you're getting into upfront, not actually a way to influence the price.

It seems like the intended, uh, "reading?" of the different strategies is that choosing to pass for a round makes the price go up more slowly ("reward") but forces an autolose if another NPC dips out at the same time and there's only one competitor left ("risk")... but the end result price is the same any time you actually end up being the "last one standing," so there's no advantage at all except maybe making an NPC happier.
On the other hand, raising the price more quickly seemed like it was supposed to be a tool to "scare" NPCs out of bidding higher, but... I kept getting exactly the same final price no matter which option I picked each round - I tried once doing the lower option every time, once doing the higher option and once alternating between the two, and I paid the exact same final price each time (in my case it was exactly 213,500 for 23 HP Ups over several tests, valued at 230,000 in stores).
I dunno if I was missing anything, but I was never able to get the final price to vary and I assume that's not a real element of the feature.

I think they maybe just forgot that Bottle Caps could be bought in stores? because in general it seems like the price range for buyable items is supposed to be lower than their store prices, while the price range for stuff like Berries that you can't buy in bulk any other way is understandably higher than the minimal prices they have when the player sells them... but I was also getting weirdly inflated prices for Bottle Caps that were just worse than buying from Delibird every time.
I've been getting totally-worthwhile deals for insane quantities of stuff like EV-reducing Berries, I'm pretty sure different kinds of Poké Balls can have low-ish bulk prices, and I've heard of other items like Apricorn Balls and Gold Bottle Caps that can't be purchased in stores, but some combination of the random price ranges and lack of player influence definitely means that not every auction is worth pursuing to begin with.
If your "predetermined price" theory is correct, honestly this would mean that no matter what, you're better off just spamming "smaller price increase" and optionally give up if that passes shop prize.

Yeah I suppose this makes sense, but ugh what a mess of game feel on "normal" items. Even the bulk vitamins often go above the "asking" price.
It usually winds up feeling like even if it rolls low you wind up barely saving any money and should have just bought them to begin with.
Bulk normal items usually seem more okay.

The Apricorn Balls go for just obscene amounts of money considering you buy exactly one. They really pin way too much value on these things.

I've not seen a Gold Bottle Cap yet but I bet auctions for those are hilarious because thanks to purchasable Bottle Caps we have an approximate value of 120k on them. And more often than not you probably only really need 4-5 of them.

QuentinQuonce

In FRLG Oak will not grant the player the National Dex until they have caught 60 Pokemon in the Kanto dex. Out of interest, if the player were to cheat and somehow obtain non-Kanto species like Gulpin or Tyrogue, would these count towards the total or do they absolutely have to be Pokemon in the Kanto dex?

Is there any explanation why when I transfer Pokemon that used to have 1 ability in gen 3 sometimes get 1 specific ability or get any ability?

Tangela: Always turns to Leaf Guard
Tropius: Keeps Chrolophill
Machoke: A female one has No Guard. A male one got Guts

Is there any explanation why when I transfer Pokemon that used to have 1 ability in gen 3 sometimes get 1 specific ability or get any ability?

Tangela: Always turns to Leaf Guard
Tropius: Keeps Chrolophill
Machoke: A female one has No Guard. A male one got Guts
My understanding is that internally all mons in gen 3 have two ability slots but some mons have the same ability in both slots. So when it gets transferred, the gen 4 game reads the slot number that mon is using and assigns the corresponding ability (which may or may not be the new one). That doesn't explain why it would give consistent results, however. How many Tangelas/Tropuises have you transferred? It's possible they all rolled the same ability slot by chance.

My understanding is that internally all mons in gen 3 have two ability slots but some mons have the same ability in both slots. So when it gets transferred, the gen 4 game reads the slot number that mon is using and assigns the corresponding ability (which may or may not be the new one). That doesn't explain why it would give consistent results, however. How many Tangelas/Tropuises have you transferred? It's possible they all rolled the same ability slot by chance.
It has been a while, but I think I transferred several boxes full. Same I am doing with Tropius transferring items alongside them.

QuentinQuonce

It has been a while, but I think I transferred several boxes full. Same I am doing with Tropius transferring items alongside them.
Ironmage's answer was basically correct: each Pokemon has two ability slots (let's call them A and B) defined by the game's internal workings. In Gen III numerous Pokemon only had one ability, so would have that ability regardless of whether the game generated an A slot or B slot. In later gens however numerous Pokemon were given a second ability, so could potentially switch abilities if transferred forward.

However this does not happen instantly upon transfer: it only takes effect when the Pokemon evolves. A Machop with the "B" ability flag (such that it should have No Guard in Gen IV) will retain Guts until and unless it is evolved into Machoke. If it is transferred from Gen III already fully evolved, it will never be able to have No Guard unless you use an Ability Capsule down the line in a later generation. Tropius, of course, does not evolve so a Tropius caught in Gen III can never have its second ability in Gen IV or V.

Later generations messed with this a little; if a Pokemon with the wrong ability (like the Machop I mentioned in my previous example) gets sent through Poketransporter from Gen V to VI, its ability slot is fixed so that it will always keep that "A" ability even when it evolves, so you'll end up with a Machamp with Guts even though internally it's supposed to have No Guard. Why exactly they did this is a mystery given that they introduced the Ability Capsule this generation anyway.

Not sure why all your Tangela are ending up with the same ability but it's completely possible (though unlikely) that you've simply caught a whole lot of them with the same ability slot; it can happen. Unless they were cloned on Emerald, in which case they'd all have the same internal data.

I just came across the fact Ditto always changes into you if you play offline, so I wonder if using lvl 1 mons and letting bots killing it would work.
This was asked in the SV subforum and locked, but I thought I'd add an answer here:

Two posts in the locked thread claim yes, but I think it will depend on the level of the raid.

I tried this a few ways with a 6 star ditto, including attempts with a level 35 magikarp I had in one of my boxes and a level 5 azurill I caught for it. In both cases the NPCs could not take the Ditto out fast enough. (Confusingly, they did better against the magikarp twice, even though azuril was lower level and I was using helping hand).

(I ultimately beat it using my level 75 in-game palafin after giving it only water attacks. The ditto was tera-rock).

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
The reason going with a low Level Pokemon against Ditto doesn't work is the AI partners scale with your Level. They're 4/5 the Level of the Pokemon you use, so using a Level 5 gets you Level 4 AI Pokemon. If you want to use a crap Pokemon, I'm guessing that using a Level 100 Magikarp for Level 80 AI Pokemon may be way more than good enough even if you don't Terastalize.

If you want an "overkill" Ditto "killer," a Level 100 Igglybuff with 0 IVs and EVs in Def and SpD would be the ultimate Ditto "slayer" and you can even go with Fake Tears and Helping Hands as the moveset if you want the AI to do all the work for you. :P

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)