Sticky Orange Islands SQSA Thread

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
Okay, didn't realize they updated it. The Index Location page for SwSh answers Siria 's question.

• If the Pokemon is from a previous Gen it'll display the region name its from.
    "The Kanto Region": FRLG, HGSS's Kanto, Virtual Console's Gen I, & Let's Go
    "The Johto Region": HGSS's Johto, Virtual Console's Gen II
    "The Hoenn Region": RSE, ORAS
    "The Sinnoh Region": DPPt
    "The Unova Region": BW, B2W2
    "The Kalos Region": XY
    "The Alola Region": UM, USUM
  • BDSP & L:A will appear as a "a faraway place" if transferred to SwSh.
  • If a Pokemon from SwSh is transferring to either BDSP or L:A it'll be "the Galar Region".
  • If BDSP to L:A it'll be "the Sinnoh region made new"
  • If L:A to BDSP it'll be "Sinnoh region of old"
Almost but not quite - as I said in my last post, HGSS's Kanto is counted as Johto by other games since each given title only has one location marker.

There's a similar situation with how Birth Island and Navel Rock in Emerald are counted as "Hoenn" in future generations even though they're nominally FRLG locations; since they're caught in Emerald, the games consider any Pokemon hatched or caught there as being from Hoenn.

For a further curiosity, Pokemon from the VC titles don't retain their location data, so they just use the game they were transferred from. This means that a Horsea hatched in a copy of Silver but traded to Red will be marked as coming from "Kanto (in the good old days)", and vice versa a Chansey caught in Yellow but traded to Crystal will be marked as coming from "Johto (in the good old days)", despite their OTs saying otherwise.

Last edited:
Checking through my own Home, GT's right that Pokewalker Pokemon simply get set to "Johto". Which makes sense, it's likely just treated as a "Route" internally.
Same goes for any event Pokemon, such as Celebi; they get set to the game they were received in

e: Oh and bulbapedia has this fun bit of trivia
A Pokémon whose Egg was obtained in a game based in one region and traded to another region before it was hatched will display the name of the region it was generated in, rather than the one it was hatched in; this means that a Pokémon generated in Platinum but hatched in SoulSilver would have the OT and ID of the SoulSilver player but list that it was met in Sinnoh

So I'm getting the Japanese version of Violet w/ the pre-order bonus next week from Amazon. However, I was thinking of maybe picking up the English version of the game today and return / exchange it next week while I wait for the game to ship. Would my save data remain in tact or would it be reset if I switch between the two cartridges?

Light Sanctity

The Usurper
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
So I'm getting the Japanese version of Violet w/ the pre-order bonus next week from Amazon. However, I was thinking of maybe picking up the English version of the game today and return / exchange it next week while I wait for the game to ship. Would my save data remain in tact or would it be reset if I switch between the two cartridges?
I believe the save should stay in tact, as it is relevant to your profile that you made the save on. Upon start-up of the game you can always pick a language to play on. But the obvious caveat is if you wish to change languages; you will have to start anew. What I also would recommend doing to make sure is to check when you get the Japanese cartridge before returning / exchanging the English one to verify that you begin where you left off.

I believe the save should stay in tact, as it is relevant to your profile that you made the save on. Upon start-up of the game you can always pick a language to play on. But the obvious caveat is if you wish to change languages; you will have to start anew. What I also would recommend doing to make sure is to check when you get the Japanese cartridge before returning / exchanging the English one to verify that you begin where you left off.
I checked on this site and seems like Save data is region locked, which is a big rip.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Seems so.

Which makes sense as they don't really serve any purpose
Wish they did, as I keep running over the smaller Pokemon... (note I don't have the dash function yet so I don't know whether that solves that problem, but I can tell you that riding around normally to explore the area, if there's smaller Pokemon around, you're going to be encountering every. Single. One)

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Actually, thanks Worldie, you brought up something I have a question about. It also has to do with Scarlet & Violet, though with the games now out it's fair game in the official thread so I don't want to go there at least until I made a fair bit into the game myself. So I'll ask my non-spoiler question here:

• I have been ignoring any unnecessary battles. The only battles I've done are Trainers and against Pokemon that I catch. So far so good, my Pokemon levels have remained sorta balanced (I say as my Starter evolved before the 1st Gym, but for once I feel I'm actually struggling with battles & resource management; it can be done!). But my question is, is that the best way of going about it? Like, with Pokemon dropping resources, which not only can be used to make TMs but also can be sold for money which does feel I'm strapped for at times, should I battle every Pokemon I just-so-happen to encounter instead of running away each time?

• Follow-up: How long does it take for another Pokemon to spawn in that Pokemon's place? Would it actually clear out that area for a bit so I can better explore or would I just be doing it for the resources?

I have been ignoring any unnecessary battles. The only battles I've done are Trainers and against Pokemon that I catch. So far so good, my Pokemon levels have remained sorta balanced (I say as my Starter evolved before the 1st Gym, but for once I feel I'm actually struggling with battles & resource management; it can be done!). But my question is, is that the best way of going about it? Like, with Pokemon dropping resources, which not only can be used to make TMs but also can be sold for money which does feel I'm strapped for at times, should I battle every Pokemon I just-so-happen to encounter instead of running away each time?
This works at first, but know that later on there's a pretty sizeable level jump between completed objectives and the next ones (assuming you're going in order, anyway), and you may regret having skipped the trainers.
For reference, I've played the game with mainly only 6 pokes (occasionally swapping something for something new just caught), I've fought every trainer I could (rough average, about 80% of the trainers of the game), I've mostly ignored wild pokes outside of pokedex completionism, I've followed a level map to do everything "in order" (as I already played this kinda blind on the ROM anyway) and ended up at some point being 10 lvls lower than the "next step".

Also, minor trainer spoiler here:
Almost all trainers have 1 mon only, some have up to 3, so you're missing out on money more than exp, plus as you noticed routes have a "route master" that gives rewards for beating the trainers, and for some of them the reward is actually TMs that you can't get otherwise.

Follow-up: How long does it take for another Pokemon to spawn in that Pokemon's place? Would it actually clear out that area for a bit so I can better explore or would I just be doing it for the resources?
Anecdotal experience seems that you just have to get "out of sight" and come back and the poke should respawn.
For some of the fixed spawns like the teralyzed mons, that also kinda works but taking a flying taxi and coming back forces it.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
and you may regret having skipped the trainers.
I said I'm only battling Trainers (when I come across them, and I feel I'm finding most of them) and the wild Pokemon I catch.

ended up at some point being 10 lvls lower than the "next step".
Anyway, thanks, good to know! Maybe I'll start battling and collecting materials (maybe also start swapping out Pokemon and evolving them, especially the new ones because now that the games are out everyone takes it as meaning we can all openly talk about the new Pokemon...)

For 6-star Raids: is there a guarantee for a max number of perfect IVs (in SWSH 5 star raids had guaranteed 4 31's I believe?)
From what I can tell, 4 star raids have 3 guaranteed 31 IVs.
I havent beaten a 5+ star raid yet since i still don't have lvl 100 pokemon to actually bruteforce them, but I would assume that 5 or 6+ will be at 4 guaranteed 31s.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
I've heard "every day" several times now and I think with the new day/night system in place we now need to differentiate between "real life clock" and "in game clock"
It seems the in-game clock's cycle mainly changes what Pokemon are available, evolutions which require a certain time, and what NPCs are active/say.

I know for a fact that Tera Dens reset at midnight real time (fun fact: if you check a den before midnight but then activate it after midnight, it still changes. I was supposed to fight a Psychic Tera, ended up battling a Normal Tera; of course the Pokemon I chose was a Dark-type (for added irony said Dark-type also knew a Ghost-type move, Lick)). Going to assume special respawns like the Gimmighouls they're real time midnight resets.

Not so sure about the general "strong" Pokemon that appear every once in a while, they feel completely random. Infact I think I caught a Scyther and then saw another Scyther sometime later. Either it's random or maybe those "strong" Pokemon respawns are handled by the in-game cycle.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 3)