Sticky Orange Islands SQSA Thread

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
Can Pokemon that have a chance to hold an item be holding it if they're received as a gift?

As an example - if I buy a Cubone from Goldenrod Game Corner, can it be holding a Thick Club?

Can Pokemon that have a chance to hold an item be holding it if they're received as a gift?

As an example - if I buy a Cubone from Goldenrod Game Corner, can it be holding a Thick Club?
In general the answer should be no as gift mons typically specify their item either way like the starters' Berry or just have it as none.

For Gen 2 Cubone specifically, pret just specifies Cubone's species and level which is part of a macro that automatically adds in "no item" to the full command the game expects.

Bulbapedia says that the way regular trainer rematches work in RSE is that "if the player is on a map with eligible Trainers, each Trainer on the map has a separate 31% chance to demand a rematch every 255 steps."

What defines a map? Or more specifically, what defines where one map ends and another begins on the overworld where most areas are connected without doors or obvious loading zones?

Bulbapedia says that the way regular trainer rematches work in RSE is that "if the player is on a map with eligible Trainers, each Trainer on the map has a separate 31% chance to demand a rematch every 255 steps."

What defines a map? Or more specifically, what defines where one map ends and another begins on the overworld where most areas are connected without doors or obvious loading zones?
iirc a map defined by basically where the little title cards drop down so in most instances its pretty obvious

Ie all of Route 104 is, internally, one "map" on both the north & south sides. This is an obvious separate map from inside a building (Briney's home, in this case), town (Petalburg) and Petalburg Woods. Likewise, it's a separate map from Route 105

Otherwise its kind of "arbitrary" (from a game dev perspective I assume there's more to it). The border between 104 & 105 is basically just them needing to draw an invisible line that you cross.

QuentinQuonce

Probably a long shot, but does anyone know of any centralised database of all trainer rosters across the main series? The sort of thing I'm after is where one could easily search for a given species - let's say Chinchou - and see "it's used by 2 trainers in RSE, 1 trainer in DPP, 2 in BW, 3 in B2W2, and three in XY", etc.

Basically what I'm interested in is which species have never been used by any NPC, ever, in any title. If that's an easier metric to search by.

Probably a long shot, but does anyone know of any centralised database of all trainer rosters across the main series? The sort of thing I'm after is where one could easily search for a given species - let's say Chinchou - and see "it's used by 2 trainers in RSE, 1 trainer in DPP, 2 in BW, 3 in B2W2, and three in XY", etc.

Basically what I'm interested in is which species have never been used by any NPC, ever, in any title. If that's an easier metric to search by.
Serebii's Pokeearth started doing this in gen 5, all on their own pages of course, but prior to that you're going to need to step through each earlier route and catalog themselves :X

or see if there's a trainer dump around, i guess

Mmm. Not miles better than Bulbapedia but it'll do. Ta.
Sorry sorry I said the wrong thing: Starting with Serebii's gen 5 pokedexes, you can click a Pokemon and then see "Trainer Details"

For example, here's Noctowl gen 5 dex https://serebii.net/pokedex-bw/164.shtml and you'll see a link to "Trainer Details" and that leads to a page every trainer with a Noctowl in gen 5 https://serebii.net/pokedex-bw/trainers/164.shtml

Slightly better than digging through PokeEarth/Bulbapedia route by route (for gens 5-on, at least)

QuentinQuonce

Sorry sorry I said the wrong thing: Starting with Serebii's gen 5 pokedexes, you can click a Pokemon and then see "Trainer Details"

For example, here's Noctowl gen 5 dex https://serebii.net/pokedex-bw/164.shtml and you'll see a link to "Trainer Details" and that leads to a page every trainer with a Noctowl in gen 5 https://serebii.net/pokedex-bw/trainers/164.shtml

Slightly better than digging through PokeEarth/Bulbapedia route by route (for gens 5-on, at least)
Ohhhh. No that is much better, thank you!

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
In the context a Starmie defeat a Mamoswine

Gen4
So here the battle calcs I punched in:

Surf:
  • 252 SpA Starmie Surf vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mamoswine: 372-438 (103 - 121.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
  • 252 SpA Starmie Surf vs. 0 HP / 252 SpD Mamoswine: 266-314 (73.6 - 86.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • 252 SpA Starmie Surf vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mamoswine: 372-438 (87.7 - 103.3%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO
  • 252 SpA Starmie Surf vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Mamoswine: 266-314 (62.7 - 74%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Hydro Pump:
  • 252 SpA Starmie Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mamoswine: 456-536 (126.3 - 148.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
  • 252 SpA Starmie Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 252 SpD Mamoswine: 324-384 (89.7 - 106.3%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO
  • 252 SpA Starmie Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mamoswine: 456-536 (107.5 - 126.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
  • 252 SpA Starmie Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Mamoswine: 324-384 (76.4 - 90.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

I'd personally go with Surf. If Mamoswine has no investment in Special Defense & HP it's OHKO eitherway. If it has some investment, while Hydro Pump can possibly still get the OHKO, taking into account the damage range & Hydro Pump's 80% Accuracy, you're still very likely to need to do 2 moves (and if Hydro Pump doesn't take it out you're risking needing a 3rd which may also miss). Meanwhile Surf is a straight forward 2HKO no matter how you slice it.

QuentinQuonce

Obviously FRLG forcibly stops evolutions into non-Kanto mons before getting the National Dex, such that Pokemon like Onix and Golbat cannot evolve even if they meet the right conditions. But does this work in the opposite direction? i.e. if a player who has not unlocked full compatibility were to trade a Seadra holding a Dragon Scale to one who has, will the Seadra evolve?

Obviously FRLG forcibly stops evolutions into non-Kanto mons before getting the National Dex, such that Pokemon like Onix and Golbat cannot evolve even if they meet the right conditions. But does this work in the opposite direction? i.e. if a player who has not unlocked full compatibility were to trade a Seadra holding a Dragon Scale to one who has, will the Seadra evolve?
It only checks the specific game the evolution is taking place in, to my knowledge

By extension to this working as a scenario, is the now-evolved Kingdra stuck on the other game until the other player unlocks the National Dex?

QuentinQuonce

By extension to this working as a scenario, is the now-evolved Kingdra stuck on the other game until the other player unlocks the National Dex?
I haven't tested but I'm certain this would be the case. FRLG blocks any non-Kanto mons from being traded even if the other game is another copy of FRLG; it can obviously be traded elsewhere, but it wouldn't be able to be returned to the first player. The fact that the first game caught it as a Horsea or Seadra wouldn't make a difference.

I just started wondering about something. In HGSS, you can also catch Pokemon in the Pokewalker. But what if you transfer this pokewalker pokemon to later games, maybe to SwiSh or BDSP? What would its summary say about where he came from? Would it say it came from Johto, or that it came from Pokewalker, or something else?

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
I just started wondering about something. In HGSS, you can also catch Pokemon in the Pokewalker. But what if you transfer this pokewalker pokemon to later games, maybe to SwiSh or BDSP? What would its summary say about where he came from? Would it say it came from Johto, or that it came from Pokewalker, or something else?
Faraway Place.

QuentinQuonce

Wouldn't it just be "Johto" in later games? The Pokewalker should only be "faraway place" in DPP, there's no reason for it to be faraway place in later generations. Similarly, if you catch a Pokemon in Kanto in HGSS, it still registers as "Johto" in later games.

I don't have a working Pokewalker currently to test, but several of my old Pokewalker mons are still in my Bank and I'm fairly certain they all display as being caught in Johto.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Wouldn't it just be "Johto" in later games? The Pokewalker should only be "faraway place" in DPP, there's no reason for it to be faraway place in later generations. Similarly, if you catch a Pokemon in Kanto in HGSS, it still registers as "Johto" in later games.
Okay, didn't realize they updated it. The Index Location page for SwSh answers Siria 's question.

• If the Pokemon is from a previous Gen it'll display the region name its from.
    "The Kanto Region": FRLG, HGSS's Kanto, Virtual Console's Gen I, & Let's Go
    "The Johto Region": HGSS's Johto, Virtual Console's Gen II
    "The Hoenn Region": RSE, ORAS
    "The Sinnoh Region": DPPt
    "The Unova Region": BW, B2W2
    "The Kalos Region": XY
    "The Alola Region": UM, USUM
  • BDSP & L:A will appear as a "a faraway place" if transferred to SwSh.
  • If a Pokemon from SwSh is transferring to either BDSP or L:A it'll be "the Galar Region".
  • If BDSP to L:A it'll be "the Sinnoh region made new"
  • If L:A to BDSP it'll be "Sinnoh region of old"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 1)