Rejected - Inactive Option to format EVs and IVs as Stat Exp and DVs in Gen 1-2 Teambuilder

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
In Generations 1 and 2, EVs and IVs work a bit differently. Stat Exp maxes out at 65535, while DVs max out at 15. While it's normally optimal to max them all out, there are some situations where you'd want to lower either of these. However, with Showdown's implementation, it's a bit difficult to work with, as there are some weird conversions behind the scenes to frame them as modern numbers. On the other hand, players of these generations (at least in RBY's case) use the original notation.

I get why the modern notation is used, as it was originally designed to work with Gens 4-5; RBY/GSC were implemented later and are naturally a lower priority. Due to this, however, it's a bit of a nightmare to work with if you use the old notation. For example, if you try to use a specific amount of DVs for accuracy to cartridge, Showdown doesn't take too kindly to it, as you have to find the conversion to IVs; it's not doubling them that does it, so what gives? How does this work? There isn't a single resource noting it. I can't imagine what this is like for the average user that just doesn't know how this works.

Anyway, here are some scenarios where you would want to dedicate stats, just in case someone tries to frame this as a non-issue;
  • There are some Pokemon in RBY that cannot have 15 DVs all around. Showdown has yet to enact this legality in the hackchecker, as the RBY Council chose to "patch" it with Tradeback DVs. With official formats being played more, however, there is a bit more demand to use accurate DVs when playing these.
  • There are also Pokemon that lower their stats to specific numbers for certain scenarios;
    • Mewtwo tanks Special Stat Exp to 0 and its Special DVs to 14 to get a stat of 341, which prevents its Special from overflowing if it takes a Special drop after boosting.
    • Jynx sometimes uses 7 Defense DVs with Counter to OHKO Tauros using Body Slam.
  • Replicating Stadium Rentals for niche formats or just simulating in-game stuff. I tried to do this with Petit Cup Rental Koffing in the PS dev thread for the hackchecker, but I couldn't for the life of me figure out the equivalence to modern formats. In the end I just used a set of numbers that made it "correct".
Would it be possible to have the option to format EVs and IVs as Stat Exp and DVs in the Teambuilder? Like, just a box to tick or something. I'm assuming it's formatted the modern way due to some development limitations, but it's continually becoming a source of confusion in the RBY Community. Perhaps it's something for the Preact client if that's how it works?

Last edited:

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
I've revised this OP since I noted some concerns in this reply to Zokuru's thread. I still think there is merit in considering this.

Edited Aug 11th for clarity enhancements as well.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)