SS OU One more step up the ladder! A Johto exclusive team (1400+ ELO)

An ode to the Quag

1660938509503.png

Music: Doodoodoodoodoooo

Team at a glance

tyranitar.gifskarmory.gifscizor.gifcrobat.gifraikou.gifquagsire.gif

Introduction

Hi RMT! I’ve been lurking on this thread for several months now and have always been fascinated with the unique teams that pop up here (Pinkacross ) Some of them truly seem like of pieces of art. I was always aware of the competitive scene but because of grad school and other obligations I was not able to play competitive for the first time until 2 weeks ago. I knew that I wanted to build a unique team of my own but also was aware that it takes a lot of experience with the game (which I obviously lack) so initially decided I needed to gain a base level of skill before attempting to do so. However after struggling with sample teams, I decided to skip the skill step and see what I could do.

I wanted the team to meet a few criteria:
1) Be unique;
2) use some competitively viable Pokémon so it wasn’t a complete joke and;
3) have the potential to make my opponent get a teeeny bit mad. (inspired by Mimikyu Stardust ’s Hax Forecast Team)

The team I ended up with is surprisingly good for the self-imposed limitations! I'm at 1400 elo (and still rising), it's kind of anti-stall (thanks to 3 toxic immunities), anti-offense, and is quite adaptable against balance teams. I'm not sure what I would call the build, probably bulk-offense? maybe bulky-balance?

1660938524044.png

Team building process

After reading up more on basic requirements for teams, (poison/ground/electric immunity, set up sweeper, breaker, walls, role compression, cycling, anti offense, anti stall, speed control, etc.) I started building. I had messed around with a few Quagsire sets in the days prior to building this as it was my favorite Pokémon as a kid and I loved the way it could take down far greater mons than itself with its cold, lifeless, steely eyes, so I decided to build around him. As for the overall Johto theme, I noticed that I kept leaning towards earlier gen pokemon when team building, and would perform better when playing with them on random battles, likely because I was more used to the way they played. Johto also has quite a few viable mons in UU, and of course Ttar and Blissey and OU, so for those reasons, along with it being my favorite generation, I decided that it would check the "uniqueness box" of my team (also how perfect is the theme song?!?!).

As stated, I started with Quagsire, he can stop set up sweepers, walls physical attackers decently, and is the team's electric immunity.
quagsire.gif
Next had to be Ttar, a lot of people in this thread talk about how good the choice band set is and I have to agree, it punishes so many mons on switch ins, even those that resist its stabs. Tyranitar also acts as a special wall in many cases as it can switch into most neutral special attacks and force a switch itself.
quagsire.giftyranitar.gif
Then I added Skarm, as a more dedicated physical wall, poison resist, defogger, and grass resist.
quagsire.giftyranitar.gifskarmory.gif
I wanted another bulky mon, as well as something that could take on fairies, and possibly another toxic immunity as I'm still not great at switches, so I landed on assault vest Scizor. Scizor also acts as a priority, knocker, and pivot.
quagsire.giftyranitar.gifskarmory.gifscizor.gif
At this point i started experimenting with several Johto mons I thought could fit, I tried Blissey, but the fighting/physical weakness between her and Ttar allowed mons with coverage like Kart and Rillaboom to tear through a chunk of the team pretty easily. I also tried out Kingdra with its focus energy/scope lens/sniper set. The set is really fun and kind of hilarious, but it doesn't work to well against players who know what theyre doing, Kingdra has poor coverage, and can't really take hits. It also feels too gimmicky (even for an all johto team). I knew the team needed speed control and a set up sweeper, and I remembered reading about how Crobat had been tearing it up in RU with it's nasty plot set, and after some experimenting, I found it fit really well.
quagsire.giftyranitar.gifskarmory.gifscizor.gifcrobat.gif

Finally, I needed a mon to threaten rain teams. After experimenting with Celebi and Kindgra (again) I felt Raikou fit best with its good coverage, and calm mind.
quagsire.giftyranitar.gifskarmory.gifscizor.gifcrobat.gifraikou.gif

Individual Team Member Break Down:
tyranitar.gif

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Rock Blast
- Crunch
- Fire Punch
- Ice Punch

We'll start with Tyranitar. Ttar is the backbone of this team, it can wall, disrupt weather, surprise switch ins with its coverage, and blow huge holes in the opponent's team. Obviously I'm working with a very small pool of pokemon so Ttar is asked to fill a lot of different roles. Rock blast was chosen over stone edge for its accuracy, potential, to hit higher, and its ability to break subs, crunch is stab and coverage, fire punch always KOs Ferrothorn,and ice punch threatens Lando-T. The EVs are a standard bulky CB set. Ttar needs to be kept alive against rain teams until Pelipper is taken care of, sand stream is vital to disrupt their flow and forces mons to switch into rock blast. I've found Ttar can act as a surprise counter to many mons, if late game, it can survive one eq from lando and KO with ice punch if it's chipped, and it also threatens Heatran despite its steel weakness.

skarmory.gif

Skarmory @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Defog
- Iron Defense
- Body Press
- Roost

Next is Skarmory. although Skarm dropped to UU it can still hold its own against many of OUs top attackers. It's the team's main ground and poison immunity and has the ability to surprise certain mons with body press. The build is a pretty standard set and helps chip kart and other physical attackers as well as clear hazards. Skarm is vital against grassy terrain teams and hazard stack teams, and is a default switch if I'm playing conservatively. The rocky helmet is extremely useful for wearing down Rillaboom and other attackers over the course of a match.

quagsire.gif

Quagsire @ Binding Band
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Whirlpool
- Earthquake
- Stockpile
- Recover

Here he is, the boy, the star of the show. Quagsire deserves some sort of Smogon life time achievement award for its work in every tier despite its meager stats. Besides electric immunity and set up stopper, its hard to say exactly what Quagsire does, but he beats many stronger mons head to head. He wins against Garchomp and Weavile every time and can provide good chip damage with whirlpool switch ins. Binding band was chosen here as a way to add extra damage while he stacks stockpiles and recovers as well as trapping whoever has the misfortune of trying to take down this god. Quagsire's biggest advantage is that he's underestimated. It's always surprising how few people realize that its futile trying to set up against him or how many people simply assume a physical attacker can take him down. +4 Garchomp or Weavile? Doesn't matter! Quagsire lacks the social awareness to see them as a threat. Quagsire is often a win-con if there are only physical attackers left or it has stacked up stockpiles, as long as the team is out of grass coverage, he wins. It's insane how many forfeits he's caused when the team still has 3 or 4 mons left after the opponent realized he's untouchable. Quag is best saved for late game, It's tempting to send him in against Lando early, but he's extremely allergic to toxic and its better to wait until you've sussed out your opponents moves a bit. Its also best to keep in mind that this guy is weird, despite being a physically defensive pokemon, he also can't switch into super hard hitters that well, for example, an unboosted close combat from Terrkion can take out about 2/3s of his HP.

scizor.gif

Scizor @ Assault Vest
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Dual Wingbeat

Scizor acts as a vague special wall, secondary, Kartana switch, knocker, secondary toxic immunity, and fairy counter. AV allows Scizor to take hits from the Tapu's and hit back with bullet punch. knock off is self-explanatory, stab u-turn hits hard and allows Scizor to pivot, and dual-wingbeat is a great hard hitting coverage move. Evs are for adding AV bulk and hitting hard.

crobat.gif

Crobat @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Heat Wave
- Sludge Bomb
- Air Slash
- Nasty Plot

Crobat is the team's main set up sweeper, speed control, a tertiary toxic immunity, and another ground immunity. Despite Crobat's rise to UU, I find that a lot of team's don't know how to play against it, I've seen a few Ferrothorn switches, which it easily takes out with heat wave. Sludgebomb is great for taking down Tapu fini and Clefable, air slash is good coverage and the flinch chance is appreciated. I belive the standard set calls for the last 4 EVs in SpD but I moved them over to defense so it can switch into Kartana if necessary since Quagsire appreciates extra grass switch ins.

raikou.gif

Raikou @ Leftovers
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Aura Sphere
- Scald
- Calm Mind

While Raikou is very appreciated for threatening rain teams and stopping bulky-waters, I'm still a bit unsure about it. It's sort of fragile so it doesn't always have great set up opportunities, and there are quite a few switch ins that stop it. However, it REALLY punishes rain teams. Scald KOs Seismitoad in the rain and despite swift swim because people usually click weather ball expecting a switch, it also threatens Corviknight and set up on walls like Slobro. Leftovers are there for passive recovery and can be surprisingly clutch. Base 115 speed is also useful for extra speed control.

Threat List

Kartana

kartana.gif

- Skarmory can relatively wall Kart, but it loses the ability to chip it after losing its rocky helmet to knockoff. It also hits Quagsire and Tyranitar very hard.

Rain
pelipper.gif

- If Ttar goes down, there's very little hope for this team against rain. You have to constantly cycle Ttar in and out to annoy Pelipper and also watch out for a close combat from Barraskewda. Scizor is very useful during these games since these teams are unlikely to run fire coverage.

Heatran
heatran.gif

- Ttar can take a hit or two from tran, but it can't really switch into it with all the coverage it has so it usually ends up being a 1-1 trade. Scizor and Skarm obviously can't take a fire type move, and Quagsire isn't built for special mons without a boost. The best option is to try and set up a calm mind with Raikou and click aurasphere.

Gastrodon
gastrodon.gif

-Yo this thing fucking SUCKS. The biggest hole in this team offensively is that we lack grass coverage. It's very difficult to take down gastro. The best option is to switch Crobat into a toxic and try setting up on it or forcing a switch.

My own lack of skill
- I'm still not great at the game. I still switch into the wrong mon, struggle to avoid being chipped at times, and will accidentally lose mons early. I also don't have a super in-depth knowledge of competitive pokemon, for example I was shocked to find out that skarmory could wall kartana (lol)

Conclusion

I know 1400 is a pretty mediocre ranking, but I was proud of it with how new I am and how I limited myself. I would appreciate any advice as to Johto pokemon that could make this team better, or non-Johto pokemon that could be swapped to make this a more realistically viable OU team!

Last edited:

ScalchopFren

is my name really that hard to read?
is a Smogon Discord Contributor
or non-Johto pokemon that could be swapped to make this a more realistically viable OU team!
This line means a lot. The fact you're willing to swap out mons even if it means removing a team's "theme" or gimmick is something I wish more people were willing to do. Because I'll be honest, current OU is not kind to Johto. There's only a handful of Gen 2 mons that are worth using outside of specific team archetypes (i.e. stall or weather) or very niche scenarios where the team is built to support them, and slapping all of those mons together does not a great team make.

With that said, I made three edited versions of this team that would probably be better suited to this tier. Versions 1 and 3 both have 4 Johto mons, while version 2 only has 3 of them. I realize that technically versions 2 and 3 will break the "try not to replace more than 3 mons from the original team" rule in these forums, but I think they're quite a bit better than version 1, and some of those replacements are Johto mons themselves so I hope you'll forgive me. I'll label the changes that correspond to each version as I go through.

(Link to the Pokepaste at the end of the post!)

Mon changes

:quagsire: => :slowking:
Remember how I said there are a few Johto mons that are only worth using on specific team archetypes? Well, Quagsire is the one that falls under the "only on stall" category. In a tier where bulky offense or BO reigns supreme, Quag is a HUGE momentum sink that doesn't really offer much besides Unaware. It loses to almost every common special attacker in the tier and even some stronger physical attackers as well. Toxic and/or Taunt will pretty much shut it down in most cases. I will give you that it beats Garchomp and Weavile (unless the latter is Banded), but one physical attacker which it most certainly does NOT beat, and one which absolutely demolishes your current team, is the incredibly common Banded Urshifu. Every single mon you have is at best 2HKO'd by Surging Strikes, and the only thing you have to dissuade it from clicking that is Skarm's Rocky Helmet. Other bulky Water-types are significantly more valuable for their ability to beat Urshifu, among other mons.

With that in mind, I think Slowking is a good fit for this team. It's a solid check to special attackers like Volcanion, which also gave your team trouble, but what makes it and its Kanto counterpart Slowbro so valuable is access to the combo of Future Sight + Teleport. You can use the former to help your offensive mons in breaking stuff, and the latter to generate easy momentum since you're almost guaranteed to go last. You do have to run a little physdef to actually switch into Urshifu, but it's not so much that it takes away from its special walling capabilities.

(version 1 and 2)
:crobat: => :landorus-therian:
Since removing Quag means the team no longer had an all-important Ground-type, that would be leaving you VERY weak to Tapu Koko and Zeraora. Specially defensive Landorus-Therian is a fantastic solution to that. Lando is the best mon in the tier for a reason; good defenses, great support options, momentum with U-turn if you have it, etc. I've decided to make this one Defog instead of Stealth Rock like some Lando might run, because Skarmory without a hazard to set up is generally just a worse Corviknight.

(version 3)
:crobat: => :piloswine:
I'm gonna come clean: this one was just for shits and giggles. I was looking at what Ground-types Johto even had, let alone ones that were usable, and Eviolite Piloswine was the only one I could even remotely consider using. It's actually a lot bulkier than I thought it was, and can (somewhat) take on mons like Weavile, Koko, and the ever-present Ghost-types Dragapult and Blacephalon. Is it a great mon? No. Does it beat Zeraora? Not without taking a Close Combat or two. Hell, it's probably also a huge momentum sink like Quag was (though I think it's way more worth your time than Quag outside of stall). But it's a Ground-type and it's from Johto, so I'm giving it a look.

DEFENSIVE CALCS
252 Atk Weavile Triple Axel (40 BP) (3 hits) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Thick Fat Piloswine: 75-93 (18.5 - 23%) -- approx. possible 5HKO
(You will probably get Knocked though)
252 SpA Tapu Koko Dazzling Gleam vs. 252 HP / 220 SpD Eviolite Piloswine: 79-94 (19.5 - 23.2%) -- possible 5HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Dragapult Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 220 SpD Eviolite Piloswine: 123-145 (30.4 - 35.8%) -- 45.3% chance to 3HKO
252 SpA Blacephalon Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 220 SpD Eviolite Thick Fat Piloswine: 122-146 (30.1 - 36.1%) -- 52.4% chance to 3HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Blacephalon Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 220 SpD Eviolite Thick Fat Piloswine: 186-222 (46 - 54.9%) -- 61.3% chance to 2HKO
(This one will obviously hurt, but you can try to discourage it being clicked by keeping Tar and Slowking alive. Or just pray they're Scarf kekw)

OFFENSIVE CALC
36+ Atk Piloswine Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex: 134-158 (44 - 51.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after 1 layer of Spikes
(This also applies if Rocks are up)

(version 1 and 3)
:raikou: => :blacephalon:
As you may have noticed, this team is generally pretty slow. You did have Crobat and Raikou as some fast stuff, but Crobat is bad and Raikou is situational at best. So, we're gonna give you some speed control: Choice Scarf Blacephalon. Scarf lets it outspeed every unboosted mon in the tier, and it's faster than every reliable Scarf user except Kartana, so pretty good speed indeed. It's also stronger than Crobat or Raikou could ever hope to be, especially with Beast Boost letting it snowball, and that's aided by Slowking's Future Sight as well. Good pick.

(version 2)
:raikou: => :tapu koko:
Same idea as above with speed. Obviously not as fast or as strong as Blacephalon, but Tapu Koko is the only speed control I could think of that wouldn't make you lose to Bulk Up Zeraora (which you cannot switch around very well if you have Piloswine instead of Lando). It's also a nice pivot with U-turn, which doesn't hurt.

(CHANGE FOR VERSION 2 AND 3)
:scizor: => :ferrothorn:
As you said in your original post, the team got SHIT ON by rain. Having an actual Water resist in Slowking certainly helps, but you might want another cushion. If that's the case, Ferrothorn is your guy. Running Ferro also gives you the chance to hazard stack with Skarm, running two hazards on the team instead of one.

Set changes

:tyranitar:
Choice Band is definitely Tar's best set, but there are a couple issues with yours. First, don't run Rock Blast as your only Rock STAB. It lacks the raw power of something like Stone Edge. You can still have it as a backup option, though. Second, remove the HP investment and put it into Speed instead. Sure, there's plenty Tar DOESN'T outspeed, but a big one that it DOES is specially defensive Heatran, which it can then 2HKO with its STAB moves. Other fat mons like Corviknight, Melmetal, and non-Timid Magnezone will also be slower if you do this.

:skarmory:
If you're running the Piloswine version, you should keep Skarmory as your Defogger, as you won't have one otherwise. But, I stand by what I said about no hazard Skarm being a worse Corviknight otherwise. It's generally used with Spikes, though if you use the Ferro version you can make it Stealth Rock instead and give Spikes to Ferro. One change I'm keeping consistent through all 3 versions, though, is Toxic over Iron Defense. You check most physical attackers pretty well without ID anyway, and getting a Toxic off on some mons will really help you in the long run.

(IF YOU'RE USING VERSION 1)
:scizor:
AV Scizor is...not great. Honestly Scizor in general is not great right now; other Steel-types do its job both offensively and defensively. What Scizor really needs to function is Roost, a tool which it obviously loses access to with an AV. Roost lets it check things more consistently, which is the only advantage it has over other bulky Steels not named Corviknight. It's ordinarily run more physically defensive to help against things like Weavile and Kartana, but you have a Skarmory that a) generally beats those, and b) will still get 2HKO'd by Modest Specs Lele (which is pretty common), so I made Scizor more specially defensive to help with that.

Teams (click the mons for the paste)
Version 1: :tyranitar::skarmory::slowking::scizor::landorus-therian::blacephalon:
Version 2: :tyranitar::skarmory::slowking::ferrothorn::landorus-therian::blacephalon:
Version 3: :tyranitar::skarmory::slowking::ferrothorn::piloswine::tapu koko:

So there you have it. If you were to ask which version I thought was the best, it would be 2 for sure. But, you can play around with these and see how you like them. Happy testing :)

Last edited:
This line means a lot. The fact you're willing to swap out mons even if it means removing a team's "theme" or gimmick is something I wish more people were willing to do. Because I'll be honest, current OU is not kind to Johto. There's only a handful of Gen 2 mons that are worth using outside of specific team archetypes (i.e. stall or weather) or very niche scenarios where the team is built to support them, and slapping all of those mons together does not a great team make.

With that said, I made three edited versions of this team that would probably be better suited to this tier. Versions 1 and 3 both have 4 Johto mons, while version 2 only has 3 of them. I realize that technically versions 2 and 3 will break the "try not to replace more than 3 mons from the original team" rule in these forums, but I think they're quite a bit better than version 1, and some of those replacements are Johto mons themselves so I hope you'll forgive me. I'll label the changes that correspond to each version as I go through.

(Link to the Pokepaste at the end of the post!)

Mon changes

:quagsire: => :slowking:
Remember how I said there are a few Johto mons that are only worth using on specific team archetypes? Well, Quagsire is the one that falls under the "only on stall" category. In a tier where bulky offense or BO reigns supreme, Quag is a HUGE momentum sink that doesn't really offer much besides Unaware. It loses to almost every common special attacker in the tier and even some stronger physical attackers as well. Toxic and/or Taunt will pretty much shut it down in most cases. I will give you that it beats Garchomp and Weavile (unless the latter is Banded), but one physical attacker which it most certainly does NOT beat, and one which absolutely demolishes your current team, is the incredibly common Banded Urshifu. Every single mon you have is at best 2HKO'd by Surging Strikes, and the only thing you have to dissuade it from clicking that is Skarm's Rocky Helmet. Other bulky Water-types are significantly more valuable for their ability to beat Urshifu, among other mons.

With that in mind, I think Slowking is a good fit for this team. It's a solid check to special attackers like Volcanion, which also gave your team trouble, but what makes it and its Kanto counterpart Slowbro so valuable is access to the combo of Future Sight + Teleport. You can use the former to help your offensive mons in breaking stuff, and the latter to generate easy momentum since you're almost guaranteed to go last. You do have to run a little physdef to actually switch into Urshifu, but it's not so much that it takes away from its special walling capabilities.

(version 2)
:crobat: => :landorus-therian:
Since removing Quag means the team no longer had an all-important Ground-type, that would be leaving you VERY weak to Tapu Koko and Zeraora. Specially defensive Landorus-Therian is a fantastic solution to that. Lando is the best mon in the tier for a reason; good defenses, great support options, momentum with U-turn if you have it, etc. I've decided to make this one Defog instead of Stealth Rock like some Lando might run, because Skarmory without a hazard to set up is generally just a worse Corviknight.

(version 3)
:crobat: => :piloswine:
I'm gonna come clean: this one was just for shits and giggles. I was looking at what Ground-types Johto even had, let alone ones that were usable, and Eviolite Piloswine was the only one I could even remotely consider using. It's actually a lot bulkier than I thought it was, and can (somewhat) take on mons like Weavile, Koko, and the ever-present Ghost-types Dragapult and Blacephalon. Is it a great mon? No. Does it beat Zeraora? Not without taking a Close Combat or two. Hell, it's probably also a huge momentum sink like Quag was (though I think it's way more worth your time than Quag outside of stall). But it's a Ground-type and it's from Johto, so I'm giving it a look.

DEFENSIVE CALCS
252 Atk Weavile Triple Axel (40 BP) (3 hits) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Thick Fat Piloswine: 75-93 (18.5 - 23%) -- approx. possible 5HKO
(You will probably get Knocked though)
252 SpA Tapu Koko Dazzling Gleam vs. 252 HP / 220 SpD Eviolite Piloswine: 79-94 (19.5 - 23.2%) -- possible 5HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Dragapult Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 220 SpD Eviolite Piloswine: 123-145 (30.4 - 35.8%) -- 45.3% chance to 3HKO
252 SpA Blacephalon Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 220 SpD Eviolite Thick Fat Piloswine: 122-146 (30.1 - 36.1%) -- 52.4% chance to 3HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Blacephalon Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 220 SpD Eviolite Thick Fat Piloswine: 186-222 (46 - 54.9%) -- 61.3% chance to 2HKO
(This one will obviously hurt, but you can try to discourage it being clicked by keeping Tar and Slowking alive. Or just pray they're Scarf kekw)

OFFENSIVE CALC
36+ Atk Piloswine Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex: 134-158 (44 - 51.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after 1 layer of Spikes
(This also applies if Rocks are up)

(version 1 and 3)
:raikou: => :blacephalon:
As you may have noticed, this team is generally pretty slow. You did have Crobat and Raikou as some fast stuff, but Crobat is bad and Raikou is situational at best. So, we're gonna give you some speed control: Choice Scarf Blacephalon. Scarf lets it outspeed every unboosted mon in the tier, and it's faster than every reliable Scarf user except Kartana, so pretty good speed indeed. It's also stronger than Crobat or Raikou could ever hope to be, especially with Beast Boost letting it snowball, and that's aided by Slowking's Future Sight as well. Good pick.

(version 2)
:raikou: => :tapu koko:
Same idea as above with speed. Obviously not as fast or as strong as Blacephalon, but Tapu Koko is the only speed control I could think of that wouldn't make you lose to Bulk Up Zeraora (which you cannot switch around very well if you have Piloswine instead of Lando). It's also a nice pivot with U-turn, which doesn't hurt.

(CHANGE FOR VERSION 2 AND 3)
:scizor: => :ferrothorn:
As you said in your original post, the team got SHIT ON by rain. Having an actual Water resist in Slowking certainly helps, but you might want another cushion. If that's the case, Ferrothorn is your guy. Running Ferro also gives you the chance to hazard stack with Skarm, running two hazards on the team instead of one.

Set changes

:tyranitar:
Choice Band is definitely Tar's best set, but there are a couple issues with yours. First, don't run Rock Blast as your only Rock STAB. It lacks the raw power of something like Stone Edge. You can still have it as a backup option, though. Second, remove the HP investment and put it into Speed instead. Sure, there's plenty Tar DOESN'T outspeed, but a big one that it DOES is specially defensive Heatran, which it can then 2HKO with its STAB moves. Other fat mons like Corviknight, Melmetal, and non-Timid Magnezone will also be slower if you do this.

:skarmory:
If you're running the Piloswine version, you should keep Skarmory as your Defogger, as you won't have one otherwise. But, I stand by what I said about no hazard Skarm being a worse Corviknight otherwise. It's generally used with Spikes, though if you use the Ferro version you can make it Stealth Rock instead and give Spikes to Ferro. One change I'm keeping consistent through all 3 versions, though, is Toxic over Iron Defense. You check most physical attackers pretty well without ID anyway, and getting a Toxic off on some mons will really help you in the long run.

(IF YOU'RE USING VERSION 1)
:scizor:
AV Scizor is...not great. Honestly Scizor in general is not great right now; other Steel-types do its job both offensively and defensively. What Scizor really needs to function is Roost, a tool which it obviously loses access to with an AV. Roost lets it check things more consistently, which is the only advantage it has over other bulky Steels not named Corviknight. It's ordinarily run more physically defensive to help against things like Weavile and Kartana, but you have a Skarmory that a) generally beats those, and b) will still get 2HKO'd by Modest Specs Lele (which is pretty common), so I made Scizor more specially defensive to help with that.

Teams (click the mons for the paste)
Version 1: :tyranitar::skarmory::slowking::scizor::landorus-therian::blacephalon:
Version 2: :tyranitar::skarmory::slowking::ferrothorn::landorus-therian::blacephalon:
Version 3: :tyranitar::skarmory::slowking::ferrothorn::piloswine::tapu koko:

So there you have it. If you were to ask which version I thought was the best, it would be 2 for sure. But, you can play around with these and see how you like them. Happy testing :)
this is absolutely incredible! I def will experiment with all three of these teams. I appreciate the time you put into this and the explanations for each team. Johto is def not super viable right now, it will be fun to use some actually good moms. Also- I learned so much from your reply, thank you!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)