Tournament OMPL X - Week 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isaiah

Here today, gone tomorrow
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
UM/OM Leader

Art by Kiwi
Week 1 | Week 2 | Week 3 | Week 4 | Week 5 | Week 6 | Week 7 | Playoffs | Finals
Information Thread | Roster | Schedule | Standings | Usage Stats

There are 8 teams this year. Each team will have have 8 players and at least 4 subs. The players are bought using the 120k credits that managers receive during the auction. Managers and co-managers will be allowed to purchase themselves as players for their team at a fixed price of 20k. The managers must inform the hosts (Isaiah, UT) of all self purchases before the beginning of the auction. Teams can win their matchup every week by winning 5 of the 8 matches that their players have to play.​
The tier lineup this year is as follows:​
  1. SS Almost Any Ability
  2. SS Balanced Hackmons
  3. SS Godly Gift
  4. SS Mix and Mega
  5. SS NFE
  6. SS STABmons
  7. SS 2v2 Doubles (Best of 5)
  8. SS Anything Goes
All games will be played on the Pokemon Showdown main server or SmogTours in the most current version of the format corresponding to those listed above. The result between players may be decided in a best-of-one or best-of-three at the discretion of both players involved. If there is no agreement, the result will decided in a Bo1 by default.​
Winning a round rewards a team with 2 points, drawing 1 point, and losing zero points. In addition, the manner in which the round has been won will also be recorded i.e. the difference between a team's wins and losses in a specific week's round (referred to as "Win Differential").​
Playoffs:​
Each team will play one another for seven weeks. Based on the final standings, the top 4 teams will enter a Playoffs Round to determine the teams appearing in the finals.​

Tiebreaker
In the event of two teams being tied for a spot in the finals based on points and win differential, or a tie in the final round itself, we will have a tiebreaker round(s).​

Tiebreaker Rules: One metagame will be picked by each manager, and each manager will also pick one metagame to strike. Additionally, each manager will submit a backup meta to strike in case their choice is the same as the opposing team's pick. The third format will be determined at random by the hosts from the remaining unpicked, unstruck metagames. In the event that the picks and strikes from each manager are the same, the hosts will determine both the second and third format at random based on the remaining options. All three metagames must be unique, so no format can be picked twice.​

Substitutes
Substitutes are to be used in the case of extenuating circumstances, whether on the first day of the week, or the last. At the same time, players should be relatively well-aware of who all are available to play in the opponent's camp. If last minute substitutes are being frequently used or abused and the hosts find explanations unsatisfactory, the hosts still reserve the right to veto them. In order to further prevent this being the case teams are only granted a maximum of two substitutes per week. Any substitutions after the second will be vetoed.​

Trades
The hosts have decided to not include trades this year due to reasons outlined in this thread - all roster decisions will be final, so draft carefully!​

Scheduling
Scheduling should be done on Smogon Profile walls, plain and simple:​
  • If there is no communication on Smogon Profile walls and a game goes undone, it will be left to the RNG to decide the winner
  • If there is communication on only one user's behalf, the win will go to them. Feel free to call activity in this thread beforehand
  • If there is a very healthy back and forth regarding potential times and one user is a no-show, a manager may take the opportunity to sub out the no-show competitor; if this is not done, the user that showed up responsibly will be awarded the win.
TL;DR: Post on your opponent's Smogon wall, schedule your matches, and be reliable. If you can't play for any reason, let your manager know so they can sub you out ASAP.​
Use these posts as a place to initiate discussion about bo1 or bo3 as well (or bo5 vs bo7 for 2v2)!​

Sportsmanship
Exhibitions of unsportsmanlike conduct with regards to the Other Metagame Premier League will be met with an infraction at the discretion of the OMPL host/OM mods. This is unlikely to include interactions within a team's private chat unless there is reason found to make an exception. This rule is meant to protect other users from being publicly flamed/bashed/provoked by another competitor for the duration of and following the tournament.​
All players must complete their matches by the given deadline. Any incomplete matches by that time will be subject to an activity decision (MAKE SURE YOU POST ON YOUR OPPONENT'S WALL); otherwise, it will be a deadgame. All matches should ideally be done on your most notable alt (the one you registered for OMPL with) to avoid confusion and all match replays must be saved and posted in this thread. The replays will be archived in a separate thread, and will be used to calculate usage stats.​

Substitutions & Lineups
Managers, if you wish to make any substitutions, you must post here tagging both the player you're subbing out, the player you're subbing in, the manager and assistant manager of the opposing team, the substitute's opponent, and all of the hosts (Isaiah, UT). This is to assure that everyone is in-the-loop and that the OP is updated accordingly to reflect the new match-up.​
Managers, when you send in lineups, please send it in with the tier and Smogon username of each player fully written out for ease of transcription, following these guidelines exactly.​

Matchups

:Ponyta: The Malding Mavericks (Morgan and IBM) - [5][3] - The Honey Linoones (aesf and Catalystic) :linoone:
SS 2v2 Doubles (Best of 5): Chris32156 vs Adam3560
SS Almost Any Ability: luisin vs Sylveon.
SS Anything Goes: Amberr vs Royal1604
SS Balanced Hackmons: quojova vs Career Ended
SS Godly Gift: crying vs Jrdn
SS Mix and Mega: beauts vs Andyboy
SS NFE: ojr vs pdt
SS STABmons: Byleth vs Trade

:tyrantrum: The Temper Tyrantrums (OM and drampa's grandpa) - [4][4] - The Wiggly Family (Dragonillis and Osake) :Wigglytuff:
SS 2v2 Doubles (Best of 5): papiloco vs STABLE
SS Almost Any Ability: Potatochan vs MZ
SS Anything Goes: WSun1 vs velvet
SS Balanced Hackmons: Nihilslave vs anaconja
SS Godly Gift: Mossy Sandwich vs Meta
SS Mix and Mega: Quantum Tesseract vs damflame 3
SS NFE: Stareal vs tlenit
SS STABmons: Fissure vs Fc

:Spinda: The Spinda Wheels (xavgb and in the hills) - [5][3] - The Larping Lopunnys (adem and DerpyBoi) :lopunny:
SS 2v2 Doubles (Best of 5): London13 vs zioziotrip
SS Almost Any Ability: shiloh vs The Number Man
SS Anything Goes: Skarph vs lotiasite
SS Balanced Hackmons: xavgb vs cityscapes
SS Godly Gift: FlamingVictini vs lepton
SS Mix and Mega: TPP vs Axzel
SS NFE: TJ vs King Leo V
SS STABmons: Greybaum vs pannuracotta

:Kommo-o: The Uh Oh Kommo-os (XxSevagxX and willdbeast) - [2][6] - The Hammered Hawluchas (astralydia and Dr. Phd. BJ) :hawlucha:
SS 2v2 Doubles (Best of 5): Itchy vs PA
SS Almost Any Ability: avyrie vs astralydia
SS Anything Goes: Farce Of The Death vs baconeatinassassin
SS Balanced Hackmons: a loser vs TTTech
SS Godly Gift: Lily vs Dr. Phd. BJ
SS Mix and Mega: Ivar57 vs ItsChew.
SS NFE: S1nn0hC0nfirm3d vs jonfilch
SS STABmons: LBDC vs Clementine

Deadline:
10:00 PM (GMT -4) on May 15th, 2022

SS Anything Goes: Amberr vs Royal1604
SS NFE: ojr vs pdt
SS STABmons: Byleth vs Trade

SS Almost Any Ability: Potatochan vs MZ
SS Anything Goes: WSun1 vs velvet
SS Balanced Hackmons: Nihilslave vs anaconja
SS Godly Gift: Mossy Sandwich vs Meta
SS STABmons: Fissure vs Fc

SS Almost Any Ability: shiloh vs The Number Man
SS Anything Goes: Skarph vs lotiasite
SS Godly Gift: FlamingVictini vs lepton
SS Mix and Mega: TPP vs Axzel
SS STABmons: Greybaum vs pannuracotta

SS Almost Any Ability: avyrie vs astralydia
SS Anything Goes: Farce Of The Death vs baconeatinassassin
SS NFE: S1nn0hC0nfirm3d vs jonfilch
SS STABmons: LBDC vs Clementine

Last edited:

Fardin

Tournament Banned
honestly im only doing this to talk about pannu again but i will do mnm and ag as well

SS Anything Goes: Amberr vs Royal1604 - er, ye royal will come with the better team and plays here i think
SS Mix and Mega: beauts vs Andyboy - hmmm, andy is just far superior playing wise and will come in with a diabolical team that beauts didnt see coming and win.

SS Anything Goes: WSun1 vs velvet - wsun just has way better fundamentals but velvet could very well 6-0 with something anti meta
SS Mix and Mega: Quantum Tesseract vs damflame 3 - qt should take it for sure imo

SS Anything Goes: Skarph vs lotiasite - sorry loti skarpy is the best ag player rn
SS Mix and Mega: ez vs Jordy - hmmm, jordy been on fire lately.
SS STABmons: Greybaum vs pannuracotta - pannu double criting zapdos kinda gifted him the win from an otherwise pretty even mu last week, but he did make some okayish plays and capitalized on the advantage he was gifted. still seen literally 0 quality from him this entire tour tho so im giving grey the edge here.

SS Anything Goes: Farce Of The Death vs baconeatinassassin - bacon is goated
SS Mix and Mega: Ivar57 vs ItsChew. - ivar is the future goat of mnm

hayedenn

forgotten me already?
is a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
purrrrrrrrrdicts
:tyrantrum: The Temper Tyrantrums (OM and drampa's grandpa) - [4][4] - The Wiggly Family (Dragonillis and Osake) :Wigglytuff:
SS 2v2 Doubles (Best of 5): papiloco vs STABLE -idk
SS Almost Any Ability: Potatochan vs MZ - potatochan is good but mz is very slAAAy
SS Anything Goes: WSun1 vs velvet - THE wsun
SS Balanced Hackmons: Nihilslave vs MAMP - i have liked the way nihilslave has prepped/played more and they are v good at cteaming
SS Godly Gift: Mossy Sandwich vs Meta - idk
SS Mix and Mega: Quantum Tesseract vs damflame 3 - QT is a turbo tryhard
SS NFE: Stareal vs tlenit - THE 85percent will pull thru in prep
SS STABmons: Ren vs Fc - ren will have a bit of a letdown cus of last week's W

:Spinda: The Spinda Wheels (xavgb and in the hills) - [6.5][1.5] - The Larping Lopunnys (adem and DerpyBoi) :lopunny:
SS 2v2 Doubles (Best of 5): London13 vs zioziotrip - both r good
SS Almost Any Ability: shiloh vs The Number Man - hmmm tnm can get cteamed pretty hard sometime and shiloh has looked good these past 2ish weeks, but tnm is still very good
SS Anything Goes: Skarph vs lotiasite - both r good but i think skarph will win (i have no good reason)
SS Balanced Hackmons: xavgb vs cityscapes - here's the thing. stresh is probably top 1 bh, but city is a turbo tryhard. it kinda evens out, but i think stresh will win
SS Godly Gift: FlamingVictini vs Instruct - i haven't been too crazy about instruct's GG teams
SS Mix and Mega: ez vs Jordy - ez has looked a bit inconsistent in mnm, im going with THE jordy
SS NFE: TJ vs King Leo V - stresh support
SS STABmons: Greybaum vs pannuracotta - pannu has had some good wins but i think greybaum is stronger

:Kommo-o: The Uh Oh Kommo-os (XxSevagxX and willdbeast) - [4][4] - The Hammered Hawluchas (astralydia and Dr. Phd. BJ) :hawlucha:
SS Almost Any Ability: avyrie vs astralydia - lydia is very strong in aaa, but i think avyrie can def win this
SS Anything Goes: Farce Of The Death vs baconeatinassassin - bacon >>>
SS Balanced Hackmons: a loser vs TTTech - better bh support for loser
SS Mix and Mega: Ivar57 vs ItsChew. - ivar has been very solid so far
SS NFE: S1nn0hC0nfirm3d vs jonfilch - no reason to think ho3n will upset here (but it is possible)
SS STABmons: LBDC vs Clementine - lbdc has been very clean in stab

Last edited:

Ducky

Aw Phooey
is a Contributor to Smogon
SS Almost Any Ability: luisin vs Sylveon. - luisin has played really well this ompl
SS Anything Goes: Amberr vs Royal1604 - amber claims that she is washed, but I dont think she is
SS Balanced Hackmons: quojova vs Career Ended - career ended has had a rough ompl
SS Godly Gift: crying vs Jrdn - i think jrdn has a slight edge here
SS Mix and Mega: beauts vs Andyboy - My brain tells me to bold andy, but beauts has told me that they have "unironically broken mnm"
SS NFE: ojr vs pdt - dont know enough about nfe for this one
SS STABmons: Byleth vs mncmt - Byleth is the goat

SS Almost Any Ability: Potatochan vs MZ - Why is potato playing AAA
SS Anything Goes: WSun1 vs velvet - WSun1 has been playing better imo
SS Balanced Hackmons: Nihilslave vs MAMP - nihil has had some cool builds ( i dont not play bh)
SS Godly Gift: Mossy Sandwich vs Meta - I think mossy has had a really tough ompl
SS Mix and Mega: Quantum Tesseract vs damflame 3 - QT goat
SS NFE: Stareal vs tlenit - Tlenit has been pretty consistent
SS STABmons: Ren vs Fc - I just wanted to predict against ren

SS Almost Any Ability: shiloh vs The Number Man - TNM goat
SS Anything Goes: Skarph vs lotiasite - Skarph has been playing amazingly well
SS Balanced Hackmons: xavgb vs cityscapes - This will be a great match
SS Godly Gift: FlamingVictini vs Instruct - OMM player = win
SS Mix and Mega: ez vs Jordy - ez hasnt been playing too well
SS NFE: TJ vs King Leo V - Leo has been playing well
SS STABmons: Greybaum vs pannuracotta - Pannu is pretty cool

SS Almost Any Ability: avyrie vs astralydia - lydia is amazing
SS Anything Goes: Farce Of The Death vs baconeatinassassin - bacon is the best
SS Balanced Hackmons: a loser vs TTTech - a loser doesnt lose
SS Godly Gift: Lily vs Dr. Phd. BJ - BJ has been really consistent
SS Mix and Mega: Ivar57 vs ItsChew. - starting chew has to mean something
SS NFE: S1nn0hC0nfirm3d vs jonfilch - IDK
SS STABmons: LBDC vs Clementine - Clementine beat byleth, so
Predictions WHOOO

DuGuo

Just say love me.
is a Tiering Contributor
Predictions
SS Balanced Hackmons: Nihilslave vs MAMP
SS STABmons: Ren vs Fc
SS Mix and Mega: ez vs Jordy
edit: SS Mix and Mega: beauts vs Andyboy

Last edited:

spell

breathe again in the world anew
is a Community Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OMPL Champion
SS Almost Any Ability: luisin vs Sylveon. - geerat got robbed last week lmao but i think luisin will win, wouldnt be surprised at all if geerat upsets though
SS Anything Goes: Amberr vs Royal1604 - no comment on this.
SS Mix and Mega: beauts vs Andyboy - andy is the best :] also just a way better player than beauts no offense, will probably see cool teams from both sides.
SS NFE: ojr vs pdt - pdt is winning this week, it has to happen
SS STABmons: Byleth vs mncmt - apparently the one week I predict for byleth they lose, i'm going to predict against them because mence is STILL a better clicker. Meta knowledge will obviously play a factor but they'll get styled on for sure. Please mence don't let me down i'll be so mad at you LMFAO

SS Almost Any Ability: Potatochan vs MZ - predicting the upset solely because i know potato is just a good player, despite only playing 2v2 in this tour.
SS Anything Goes: WSun1 vs velvet - pretty huge edge to will, he hasnt had the best luck recently but this is definitely a week hes winning if there was one.
SS Godly Gift: Mossy Sandwich vs Meta - idk
SS NFE: Stareal vs tlenit - can't decide for sure since i haven't really been paying much attention to NFE, but I think tlenit will win. Literally only saying this bc it was the first name that came to mind.
SS STABmons: Ren vs Fc - Ren is the goat + fc you suck

SS Almost Any Ability: shiloh vs The Number Man - hes yet to disappoint.
SS Anything Goes: Skarph vs lotiasite - actually predicting an UPSET here. Loti is a phenomenal player, his ag records before this tour exemplifies this. Both play at a pretty high level and bring good/great teams, but I think loti will get a better preview mu and slightly outplay Skarph.
SS Godly Gift: FlamingVictini vs Instruct - fv just a better player
SS Mix and Mega: ez vs Jordy - same here.
SS STABmons: Greybaum vs pannuracotta - Greybaum. If you lose this game PLEASE retire you've seen last weeks game i'm sure PLEASE WIN

SS Almost Any Ability: avyrie vs astralydia - better player
SS Anything Goes: Farce Of The Death vs baconeatinassassin - head 1 of the hammered HYDREIGON.
SS Godly Gift: Lily vs Dr. Phd. BJ - the one week I won't be predicting for Lily :(( Anyways, head 2 of the hammered hydreigon.
SS Mix and Mega: Ivar57 vs ItsChew. - Chew you'll have to stop choking away won games for me to predict for you again, sorry
SS NFE: S1nn0hC0nfirm3d vs jonfilch - Head 3 of the hammered hydreigon
SS STABmons: LBDC vs Clementine - Think the french person wins.

games look fun this week leggo

SS Mix and Mega: beauts vs Andyboy more experience overall but beauts taking it instead wouldnt be an upset, 60-40

SS Mix and Mega: Quantum Tesseract vs damflame 3 qt tryharding but damflame could still take it, 70-30

SS Mix and Mega: Ivar57 vs ItsChew. havent seen chew play mnm really and ivar has been doing well so far, 75-25

GO ojr byleth stable wsun mossy itchy amber avyrie

Osake

Hasta Siempre
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Actually I lied and I'm gonna do this week's AAA review cuz exams are useless (imo) (analyses are gonna be a bit shorter bc a) they were too long previous weeks lol and b) I don't have much time so yeah sorry but it'll be better next week (hopefully!)

AAA Review of Week 5 by Redflix's idol and TCoT n°1 fan Osake

Games this week were fun and 3 of them took really unexpected ways so that was surprising, and we saw some diversity on the teams which was cool! If you're too lazy to watch games and read this, I still recommend you to watch mcmnt vs The Number Man!

1652078759243.pngshiloh vs PandaDoux1652078771001.png

This game was the first played and it featured cool Pokemon such as Golisopod that is rare nowadays and kinda hard to use ngl with so many skarm/corv/fini/pex but why not, and it pairs well with GDos that can open path for it. Panda on the other side brought regular Tangrowth which is not a great mon I think but it does check Zydog well and Pixi Koko too sorta ? not sure of what it does otherwise, it kinda feels less good than others Regen fat mons but why not again, I was also skeptical towards Rotom-W and I like it now so!! We'll see!
Panda team's was kind of the same structure he used in previous weeks but with answers to what shiloh brought - Rachi for Lele, Tang for Zyg, notably and with a core of fast pivoting mons in Barraskewda and Azelf, which sees its first use I think? despite being A rank, kinda like Tapu Fini, it has veryy low use which is funny. I'm not a fan ot the offensive core cuz it doesnt make a lot of progress, like Fini + Jirachi just wall them but here Barraskewda had a great MU cuz nothing stopps it from pivoting and if its WA Exca Panda just has to read it and clicks Close Combat once. The rest of the team is a strong defensive core of Rachi/Tang/Skarm and a Zapdos that is probably Defog here even if it's kinda sketchy as a Defogger. It also spreads paralysis vs Blissey so it can help Azelf breaking through it which is good here. shiloh on the other side brought Koko/Exca once again, really an Excadrill lover lol, and what looked like to be an offense with Mew and Blissey as soft checks to everything with Exca to deal with Koko probably; and then a cool offensive core of GDos + Golisopod, both pretty threatening as long as we don't know their sets. Zapdos + Skarm looks annoying for this core tho, so I'd give the edge to Panda here but there are plenty of factors that can change this.
The game starts slowly with Mew revealing that it's not Dauntless Shield as I thought it was so probably Scarf Regen, Koko being Pixi, and Panda revealing DS Skarm and regular Tangrowth. After a weird sequence with GDos pivoting on Skarm, sending Koko, clicking Volt Switch on the incoming Tang, and sending GDos again, shiloh finally decided to send Mew and Tricks the incoming Jirachi, revealing the Choice Scarf. It now makes Mew a great answer to Azelf unless it is able to Knock it which is cool. shiloh keeps pivoting around Panda's team with Volt Switch, kinda showing the importance of a Volt immunity and sends GDos. This time it clicks Thunderous Kick and does 40% to Skarm which is ???? wow, I kinda wondered why shiloh didn't click it earlier but they were probably taking informations. It was probably a high roll of Band Ada GDos Tough Claws, but Panda is in trouble and if forced to let Skarm at 18% in order to Toxic GDos. He switches between all his mons to kill GDos without losing a mon and it works thanks to Regen stuff but Zapdos is now at 47% and Skarm at 18% which leaves a good shot for Golisopod depending on the set. shiloh could maybe have go on koko on the Toxic to maintain the pressure on Skarm and win later on GDos I think? cuz it showed that it was really owning Panda's team and Roost wasn't the play for Panda with Skarm anyway. shiloh is able to setup rocks and to send Golisopod on Barraskewda, taking a kill with Leech Life. A couple of turns later Mew shows how annoying it is for Panda team, taking down Zapdos and just sitting on every attacks. Goli is able to come once again vs Tangrowth and Panda sacked Azelf, and it now looks really dire for him. He's able to heal Skarm tho, and Goli showed that it's probably Tinted Lens Band as it does 27% to DS Skarm (without the Flying-type tho) and maybe he should've heal it before to not have to sack Azelf and Rachi on it. He probably expected fast Goli, but I think he should've take the bet if he wanted to have a chance in this game, because Skarm was his only Goli answer. Skarm then sits on shiloh's team, recovering on Mew's and Tapu Koko's Volt Switch and is able to Toxic Goli and setup Rocks but at the cost of losing its Leftovers. Koko then reveals Taunt so Skarm cannot do anything to it and Panda is forced to sack Tangrowth to Mew while paralysing it. Panda then takes it only chance aka clicking Liquidation vs Mew and hoping for a paralysis, and then he had to win every 50/50 vs Goli and Koko to win but that was his chance since shiloh's team was really weak to Barraskewda. Sadly this doesn't happen and Koko cleans the weakened Skarm.
This game was interesting and showed again how important pivoting is. despite having legit 0 answer to Barraskewda and kinda to Azelf shiloh has been able to keep the pressure up by spamming Volt Switch and it also showed how important a Ground-type is sometimes, cuz Panda was just forced to Roost with Skarm or switch-out to take those Volt Switch and was never able to really bring Barraskewda and Azelf on the field. The GDos in early really put Panda in a bad situation forcing him to sack multiple mons to Golisopod and losing his counterplay vs Koko but he didn't have other counterplays to this GDos set except a faster Zapdos. shiloh played this well and Panda wasn't able to bring Barraskewda as often as he'd liked, and this shown once again how you play around a threat that destroys your team without letting them in and basically winning first, which shiloh did.

1652078787802.pngMZ vs avyrie1652078796904.png

We'll more focus on the building for this game because the actual game was pretty quick, and I think this game was mostly won in the builder more than anything else. Starting with MZ's team, it looked like a very very classic team that felt like Zarude/Weavile BO back in the time, adapted to the current meta so without Cobalion and with Scarf Mew and Regen Chomp cuz they are broken. The team was in fact more complex than just stupid BO stuff cuz that would have been a boring build, but at preview that's how it looks. avyrie brought the same kind of team with Genesect as a Scarfer since Mew was DS, Bisharp > Zarude as the breaker which is interesting but didn't fit well on this team I think, and a Volcarona instead of MZ's Heatran, but overall both teams were really similar.
Let's talk about the game quickly and we'll come back to building later. avyrie leads Geneect while MZ leads Heatran, so MZ is clearly favored. I'm not a fan of this Genesect lead because it doesnt rly force out anything except Zarude and it made little sens for MZ to lead it cuz it doesnt OHKO anything except Bisharp, whereas Heatran had a positive MU vs 5 of the 6 mons of avyrie team (as a lead at least). MZ is immediately able to Toxic the incoming Garchomp which is huge cuz it now loses the 1v1 vs Corviknight and potentially Mew. avyrie tries to put Stealth Rock up but MZ sends Corviknight that is Bounce; it wasn't easy to expect because the Corv really looks like Intim/DS in this team, but that was part of my building and since we're using no Boots Zapdos this Corvi was good here, but this turn is really bad for avyrie and in only 3 turns the Chomp is Toxic, MZ has Rocks up, and Corviknight has free momentum vs the Chomp. On top of that, only Defogger in avyrie's team is Zapdos and, if it's Defog Zap, it's not a great Defogger (mainly cuz it loses vs Chomp and Heatran aka the best rockers atm). avyrie sends out Mew which makes sens since the Zapdos isn't Boots, but Genesect was maybe better here cuz DS Mew is a free in for Zarude that reveals CB Tough Claws and OHKO's Genesect that tried to eat the hit. A couple of turns later, Heatran is able to severely chip the Garchomp thanks to Magma Storm + Toxic + Protect; Zapdos comes on the field and clicks Substiture, revealing a non-standard set but MZ doesnt take the risk of missing Hurricane vs the incoming Volcarona and just sends Garchomp to eat the Fiery Dance. avyrie then stayed in which is weird? I guess they kney they were losing at this point and just hoped for a Stone Edge miss or Garchomp clicking SD but they had Mew so I don't know; anyway, Garchomp click Rock Slide (cuz Stone Edge PPs and miss are lame LOL) and OHKOs Volcarona (it was faster too, so that was really a free turn for MZ), and avyrie sends out Mew to Revenge Kill Garchomp; it clicks Ice Beam to make a solid 64% but Garchomp lives, Toxic it back, and after a couple of turns including Bisharp dying without doing anything, Zapdos is able to come on the field and cleans avyrie's team with Hurricane, 6-0'ing in 18 turns without using setup which is pretty rare in tour games.
This turn-by-turn analysis was probably not that much excited to read but in 18 turns you don't have a lot to say lol; I also feel like that it was really easy for MZ, like he didn't made crazy plays or had THE counter team, he just clicked buttons and avyrie team just died.
Going back to the building, avyrie's sets weren't bad one by one, like it was no bad sets or crazy mons that don't work - even Bisharp has a niche, I tried building with it at some point - but I think the team cruelly lacked synergy. Bisharp isn't a great breaker for example, and it clearly was the breaker here. It struggles vs too much things, Corv, Fini, Pex, and it's not fast unlike Zarude or others stuff like Zyg; the niche is that it has Koff, and some breakers appreciate this but it's more a support breaker that Knock item than a breaker itself, and it didn't fit well here. The structure overall struggled too much vs stuff like Zarude and Zapdos, and it lacks breaking power so you kinda just get chip over the course of the game with Toxic/Hazards etc, esp since the Defogger is sketchy (avyrie told me the Zapdos set was the same as mine aka Sub Metronome so unless it was Defog Volcarona ? but then I don't get why running it over Moltres, so pretty bad hazard control). I don't want to blame anyone but I think it's due to Kommo-os low support in AAA and avyrie isn't that much an experienced player, they are not bad but without support it's always hard to perform ngl, and like the other person that is kinda without support is TNM and he's way more experienced and does thousand of tests with other players each week.
If I had to talk about my build now, cuz I'm obviously in a better position to talk about it, my main idea was: I want to bring something solid because I trusted MZ to play better than avyrie in an equal match-up. That was also the first time I really looked into avyrie's scouter to see if I could find a weakness, esp since their builds always followed the classic balance/BO pattern (except when longhiep played ofc LOL) and the thing I noticed was 0 Kommo-o usage so I decided to use a set I find lowkey broken but suffers a lot from Kommo-o aka Band Tough Claws Zarude. I stole this idea from PandaDoux's builds but he's using Scarf Tough Claws and I don't like the set; however, Band has absurd power and it's very easy to kill Corv/Skarm with Rock chip (you basically 2HKO DS Skarm thanks to Lariat ignoring DS which is pretty crazy). The team was turned around it and I just loaded a classic core around it but with neat techs to make the build a little spicy; also, I think classic af structures aren't good in tour games because obviously your opponent will have answers to those classic threats so you need to deviate a bit (or a lot lol) to surprise them and have things that actually make progress. That was the idea of TC Zarude instead of Grassy Surge for example, but we also had magma tox tect heatran that is really good at making progress unless they have like Bounce Chansey but it forces recovery, SD Toxic chomp that is one of the best sets imo if you don't need Rocks, obviously struggles a bit vs Corviknight but you can flinch with Rock Slide and if you do like 25% Zarude kills it (it was also Roseli Berry cuz this tech is sick and you're never overprepped vs Koko), classic Scarf Mew bc its insanely good and Trick is just really good to have, a neat Zapdos set Sub Metronome because I felt like Zapdos strength was that it's really hard to force out of the field so you just spam hcane/thunder, you can para/confuse your opp (so vs Chansey for example you can with the 1v1 lol) and you Metronome gives absurd power after 3/4 Hurricane. As you see, all those mons are classics but the sets feature some neat techs to surprise the opponent and actually make progress: it also has very good synergy : Zarude can U-turn on Corv/Kommo-o to bring Zapdos/Heatran, Garchomp can Toxic Mandibuzz for Zarude, Heatran lowers Zapdos's accuracy and with Garchomp you can deal with it despite not having a true counter, etc. You also have a lot of pivots to bring your mons on the field and keep the pressure up vs the opposite team because, as you can notice, you don't have strong walls to anything (esp since the Corv isnt Intim) so the idea is just to keep the pressure, deal with broken stuff with Regen Scarf Mew, Regen Chomp, DesoLand Tran, etc, and do not let them in too often; in one word, that's offensive counterplay: you just play around your opp breakers, you soft check them with Mew/Chomp, and you make progress with Zarude/Zapdos/Heatran, it's that easy. That was also the idea of Magic Bounce Corviknight that had a good match-up here; it opens the path to Zarude notably, and this team is indeed weak to Zarude, esp the TC set ironically (Grassy Surge does 35% to Corv so its manageable), but I accepted this weakness knowing that Bounce Corv opens the path for a lot of things, notably not having to Defog all the time to preserve Heatran/Zapdos/Zarude so you can actually keep the Pressure up. That was a bet, of course, but it was in the logic of the team and it worked pretty well. I am overall quite happy with this team, there was nothing crazy but still cool sets and it's probably one of the best teams I've made so far. You could probably go Intim Corv > Bounce if you want to be safe vs Zarude but you'll struggle more in other MUs vs a good player; it's probably safer on ladder tho.
If I made this in depth analysis on my team, it was just not to say wow look I'm a great builder cuz I'm not, but to explain how two very similar teams (Garchomp/Mew/Zapdos/Desolate Land/Dark breaker in both teams, lol) can be so different, and one can be really good and the other kinda bad (without blaming avyrie, I do not want you to feel a bad player or anything I know you had to rush your prep and with minimal support it is hard, and I mean I also brought bad teams last year for my first OMPL I know it is hard and you are doing a lot of progress) and I also tried to give insights on what makes a good team, esp in tour games context. Thanks for reading all of thus LOL I know it's not the funniest part of a review cuz you don't really talk of a game but I thought it could be helpful to better understand AAA and things beginners in the tiermay struggle to 'understand' aka offensive counterplay and synergy.

1652078816112.pngmncmt vs The Number Man1652078825324.png

Lopunnies made a mistake and that was winning the week before this game, which means that Linoones are 99,99% eliminated (according to drampa's grandpa they still have a chance, but he's senile so maybe he failed the maths!), which means that aesf can release his crazyness. So he gave mncmt a Mono-band team, although it doesn't look like it at preview cuz you can expect like scarf Gene, DS/Bounce Mew, Steela can be a ton of things, Cinderace might be Boots, etc. The team looks fine considering its a Mono Band, but don't fool yourself: it's not a 'good team', and it's not consistent at all, but it had a great MU here and overall it has a great MU vs fat teams; but since your Speed Control doesn't exist, you struggle a lot vs fast things like Barras, Azelf, Koko, etc... Even if you don't notice the Mono Band directly at preview, we can see that it's still physical spam with Mamo/Cinde/Zarude at least and stacking threat in AAA is pretty strong, the issue is just that your defensive core/speed control is kinda dire. The Number Man brought a more classic team, with a cool Nidoqueen tho it feels nice to see one although it was totally useless here lol, a defensive core of Skarm/Chansey/Fini which is solid (Nidoqueen is used as a Koko check usually, and Pixi Koko owns classic Skarm/Bliss (or Chansey) cores, so that's the idea of Nido for those who don't know AAA). Then there is a Zapdos bc it's broken and for Weather Control, and a Cinderace as the main breaker. This team seems to rely a LOT on Cinderace wallbreaking, but I guess Fini/Zapdos can scam the game if you load in an unfavorable MU defensively but that feels kinda tricky. The Cinderace could be Tinted, Magic Guard, or Desolate Land, but I expected Desolate Land at preview because it's probably the better set as a solo wallbreak and I know it's TNM's favorite one. We can notice that the Cinderace outspeeds almost all the opposite team, and even if you don't know that it's Mono Band the Cinderace seems to have a great MU unless the Celesteela is Flash Fire so we'll see how it goes.
The first turn almost sealed the game on its own and its kinda sad; both players led Cinderace because it's the faster mon on both sides, but mncmt clicks Gunk Shot and does a solid 73% while TNM only clicks U-turn and does 26%; the Cinderace is now in range of Rocks if its Choice Band, but also in range of Zarude's Grassy Glide and Mamoswine Ice Shard. TNM really almost lost his wincondition Turn 1 and it'll be really hard for him now. TNM sends Nidoqueen and mnmct answers with Mamoswine that starts spamming Icicle Crash like a dumbo vs TNM team and despite having DS Skarm + Tapu Fini TNM kinda struggles to answer it and, with mncmt outplaying each important turn, Mew reveals that it's Band Psychic Fangs with Teleport and Regenerator lol, and is able to bring in Zarude vs Tapu Fini. After 12 turns TNM has clicked 3 attacking moves vs mcmnt team aka U-turn with Cinderace, Super Fang with Nidoqueen, and Moonblast with Tapu Fini, which proves how mcmnt is able to keep the pressure with its Mono band despite having obviously 0 answer to any attack that TNM can use. A couple of turns later TNM is able to get a burn on the Mew with Tapu Fini but Mew's utility was mainly to click Teleport and bring any attack on the field so it doesn't matter much; Mamoswine is then able to setup Stealth Rock which is huge considering that TNM keeps pivoting around mcmnt team AND that Cinderace is probably unable to come back again. mcmnt continues to outplays each turn and it's truly impressive, and it claims the kill on the Nidoqueen. I truly recommend you to watch the game, I don't think this needs any comment, but mcmnt just gets every play right and is able to kill the Skarmory with a lucky crit. The game was already super hard for TNM but this crit really sealed it as Skarmory was his Defogger and his only chance of dealing with Zarude/Mamoswine, notably; looking at how mcmnt was outplaying and TNM under pressure I think he would have lost even without the crit but it really removed him all his winning chances which is sad, and TNM is forced to sack Cinderace that ended up doing nothing in the game despite an excellent MU bc of this Turn 1, and TNM forfeits a few turns later after taking 73% with his Roosting Zapdos on Genesect's U-turn lol, Mono Band is crazy.
The game was fun to watch and very instructive, and it's the counterpart of what I said in other reviews, aka even if you have the broken breaker you have to bring it on the field. mcmnt did this perfectly, and if you wondered how to do it, then you have one answer. It was really a class of momentum and TNM really got ouplayed, but I'm sure he'll bounce back next weeks.
If you had to watch one game, it would be this one, because it's the more interesting one if terms of playing Pokemon and not only playing AAA. Thanks aesf for building this and mcmnt for playing this lol.
Siamato j'espère t'as apprécié la team et les plays groservo

1652078838766.pngBeka vs luisin1652078848149.png

THE luisin vs THE Beka, a game I wanted to see because watching luisin is just amazing, and thanks to my man quojova I was able to know precisely when the game was happening! Starting with luisin's team, beauts didn't bring any Ground/Dragon type this week which is!! suprising! but replaced with GOD MENCE which is a cool pick vs Fat teams because of broken Aerilate Facade (it's strong but slow Koko, basically). The team is really a Pixi Koko build with Cinderace as the support breaker, a core we've seen a lot, and then classic defensive core with Jirachi/Mandibuzz/Blissey, but I think you know it now lol, and a rare Swampert! probably to not be too weak to Pixi Koko unlike Rocker Chomp would be. Beka's team was hard to analyse at preview. beauts and UT have this annoying habit of assuming that every Koko + Kommo-o team is an HO, which is weird lol, so beauts assumed once again omg HO'd. However, the team doesn't necessarily feel like an HO: you have Heatran and Mew that are rare picks in HO, Landorus-I that can do a lot of things, and Gensect that could totally be Scarf or whatever, so I thought it wasn't an HO kek. However it was, as Koko leads and setup its Screens T1. luisin plays the early game safely, but Heatran shows that it's Desolate Land Baloon which roadblocks Swampert, esp with Bounce Koko in the back. WIth a free turn with Heatran, Beka probably made a missplay and clicked Stealth Rock, but luisin sends out Blissey, the only Heatran answer, and it was Magic Bounce, and Beka certainly should've checked that tbh cuz now Rocks are up on its own side and it's pretty annoying. A couple of turns later, after Landorus showing that it was Facade and probably Aerilate but doing only 30% to Mandibuzz lol, which led me to wonder why it was Lando-I and not Lando-T or like Mence because the Atk gap is actually huge, Beka sends out Kommo-o on Mandibuzz's U-turn allowing Salamence to claim a free kill. We all thought it was Belly Drum Kommo-o, bc it's how its played in HO, but it actually was Galvanize and had probably a bad MU vs Swampert I guess? I don't know the full set, if it was Clangorous Soul, Clanging Scales, etc, so can't say, but BellyBurden Kommo-o probably won here so it's a sad call, the only time you don't bring it vs beauts/luisin is the time where it works. Mew is then able to setup and reveals to be Dragon Dance, but luisin's Jirachi was not Assault Vest but Scarf Trick, kinda like Mew, but also full Speed (or the Mew was really slow but idts) which is rare for Trick Rachi and it completely owns Mew by locking it on Flare Blitz. luisin revenge kill with Heatran but Beka counters it with Heatran, and then luisin made a god play aka staying vs the Heatran Baloon and clicking Earthquake on the incoming Genesect, killing Beka's last setup sweeper, as Landorus is Toxic'd and Mew Scarf now, so basically winning the game. This play sealed the game although it was already hard for Beka, luisin played this almost perfecly even if the Stealth Rock play early in the game put Beka in a bad situation. His team was kinda weird and I don't think it was a great HO, it had some cool picks but it really struggled a lot to actually kill things and it was also weak to fast things, which was maybe a bet cuz you have to fish for things when loading HO but I wasn't a fan of Beka's team and he really got destroyed here. That was probably the least interesting game because I'm not able to give insights on the building as I did with MZ's game, but it's quick game and seeing luisin plays always feel good.

This ends the AAA review of Week 5, as I said it was a bit shorter but I hope you still enjoyed it!
Good luck to all teams that still have a shot, have fun everyone, and take care! :heart:

first review btw

Les prédictions

:Ponyta: The Malding Mavericks (Morgan and IBM) - [6.5][1.5] - The Honey Linoones (aesf and Catalystic) :linoone:
SS 2v2 Doubles (Best of 5): Chris32156 vs Adam3560 - I'm never wrong with my predicts on chris what can i say its happening
SS Anything Goes: Amberr vs Royal1604 - Supposed washed amber will get the W
SS Balanced Hackmons: quojova vs Career Ended - Basing this off records here so i think quojova will pull through against a rocky ompl record
SS Godly Gift: crying vs Jrdn - Will be close but there is good support on Maverick's end
SS NFE: ojr vs pdt - Will be a close one
SS STABmons: Byleth vs mncmt - Comes down to metagame knowledge here; both players are exceptionally good at clicking

:tyrantrum: The Temper Tyrantrums (OM and drampa's grandpa) - [4.5][3.5] - The Wiggly Family (Dragonillis and Osake) :Wigglytuff:
SS 2v2 Doubles (Best of 5): papiloco vs STABLE - This is a heat mu, can go both ways personally but it'll be interesting to see
SS Almost Any Ability: Potatochan vs MZ - Potato is a good player but i've got to hand it to exparience
SS Anything Goes: WSun1 vs velvet - not called W sun for no reason now
SS Godly Gift: Mossy Sandwich vs Meta - Not sure on this
SS STABmons: Ren vs Fc - Fishing for an upset here, anti meta will be great

:Spinda: The Spinda Wheels (xavgb and in the hills) - [6][2] - The Larping Lopunnys (adem and DerpyBoi) :lopunny:
SS Almost Any Ability: shiloh vs The Number Man - TNM
SS Anything Goes: Skarph vs lotiasite - Skarph does skarph things
SS Godly Gift: FlamingVictini vs Instruct - FV has the player advantage here, solid all round player
SS Mix and Mega: ez vs Jordy
SS STABmons: Greybaum vs pannuracotta - Building will be key here, slightly edging player on Grey

Redflix

Forgiven and Hanged
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Welcome to this years team eulogies. The playoffs race has become quite interesting last week with 2* Teams being eliminated and spindas p much guaranteeing their spot, leaving now 5 teams competing for the 3 slots.

Honey Linoones

The Linoones were managed by long time om mainstays Cataylstic and Aesf. Cata had an year to forget as a manager last ompl and their activity after that was very minimal but thanks to aesf being the co. , things were looking good and they were one of the stronger manager pair in the tour. Neither of the manager decided to buy themselves which was surprising wrt to aesf , as 20k aesf is the closest thing that rivals the brokenness of 20k xavgb in gen8 oms. Regardless , it meant the linoones still had arguably the best aaa and stab support even before the draft.
The draft started very well for them as they managed to get the best om player left in the pool in the form of geerat and then proceeded to buy andy and jrdn. While jrdn's price def took a toll due to uncharacteristic performance in last years ompl and wcoom , same cannot be said for andy as he still went for 20k. Despite spending almost half of the budget in just three slots , Having these 3 players , who all have dominated oms in some part of their mons career , meant linoones were already looking broken. Linoones then decided to buy another friend of theirs , pdt for 12k who like his fellow members didnt have the best 2021 in oms, going 1-5 last ompl as a 30k buy. They then further bought Trade and mncmt as their AG and NFE slots respectively. Both of these were cracked and had very high ceiling. Career Ended , a player who made quite a lot of splash in BHLT , was bought for 7k. The BH pool was exceptionally tough this year and so this buy was def risky. Linoones rounded off their draft by buying Adam3560 for 2v2 and having mh , Royal , haruno and simbo as potential subs for nfe/ag/2v2.
I ranked their draft as the 2nd best in my personal VR as they had some of the best players oms had to offer and top tier support altho I was def wary of their bh slot and the fact that plenty of the said players had an off season in their recent team tours.

1652129818098.png

When u look at the records of their players though , you'll get a feeling of deja vu. First and foremost reason of their elimination was the fact that they had to start 0-1 every week. Career Ended didnt live upto the expectation they had created before the draft. The BH pool was always gonna be hard especially for a new comer but they had shown that they had potential, so personally , I think it is quite unfortunate altho i do think their teams were a bit weird. Linoones AAA and STAB slots , which were expected to dominate the pool given the support and players ended up going 1-4. While there is argument of pdt playing very well and just getting unlucky in 2/3 of his games be it rng or just very hard mu , geerat going negative was definitely not expected. Similar things could be said for Trade , who i personally was very hyped for altho their losses in AG were bacon and loti , two exceptional players themselves. Their nfe slot also went negative including the time where simbo couldve won the week vs wigglies but made some heavy misplays , altho it shouldve been 3-2 if mncmt didnt get brutally haxed by jonfilch in the week after.
MnM and GG went positive but u could argue both Jrdn and Andy are far more capable and 3-2 isnt really gonna save the ship when most of ur other slots are 0 or 1-x. Adam impressed in 2v2 after a rough start and them along with mncmt were imo the strong points of the draft.

Overall , Linoones had a lot of expectations and tbh except for the BH slot had no weakness in their draft but unfortunately , most of their players had an off season and didnt perform as upto their potential. Some luck def played part in their cursed outing in this tour (Their series vs Luchas comes to mind with jrdn vs bj and mncmt vs jonflich and then vs lopunnies with pdt and geerat getting unlucky) as well.

Uh Oh Kommo-os
(*Kommo-s mathematically can still make it as there are scenarios where 7 could be the cutoff. However the fact that this requires plenty of other teams results going their way and that they have to win both of their remaining series atleast 6-2 and 7-1 due to their their bad w/l makes their chances so low that they realistically are out of playoffs contention imo)

Kommo-s were managed by bh players of two generation in the form of Will and Sevag. Like Aesf, People were expecting a self buy as from Sevag as he was fresh from a bh open win from a tough side of bracket. He also had some aaa experience, shown by his undefeated aaa campaign in wcoom so he could also flex into that slot as a player so the decision to not self buy was def seen as weird by few.
Kommo-os started their draft fairly slow , as their first buy was much later than everyone else. They then proceeded to buy Loser for BH , which was seen as a pretty good buy as loser + sevag was def a very strong combo. Avyrie and Zesty were their next two buys. Avyrie had recently had a strong aaa open run in which they ended up as a runner up, however since this was their first om team tour they were starting in, there def were some questions. Buying Zesty for mnm was also a "?" considering they had no gen8 experience. Longhiep and Lily for 7.5k and 9k were solid deals that they got as longhiep was considering a very crafty builder for both AAA and GG and Lily had a very high ceiling when it came to piloting teams. LBDC for stab was also a super underrated pick for Stab and 7k was def a bit of a steal. After this , However , their draft started going in the wrong direction. Getting both Onyx and Ivar when both managers could also build BH was a little sus . Reece and Itchy as the 2v2 core was decent , but the 2v2 pool was quite tough and they also had plenty of money to spend so one might wonder why they didnt go for a much more consistent option. They then proceeded to buy 6 more players for the bench including 2 more potential BH starters.
Their draft ended up being very suboptimal imo with way too many players but no strong support in any barring BH and GG. Due to this , Kommo-os ended up being ranked last in almost every PR.

1652129886028.png

The gaps which were pointed out in the draft unfortunately for kommo-os turned out to be true. AAA slot went winless as there was lack of good support vs some strong set of players. Both 2v2 and Nfe also went 1-4. The latter was a bit surprising as S1nnoh , despite being little inconsistent in team tours, was a top player and had won the nfe open recently. AG went negative and MnM also was mid in the first few weeks as zesty struggled and then was benched altho ivar did get two wins after that. The most Shocking result though was their Bh slot , which they spent approx 36k on , going 2-3. Loser started out well with a win vs city week 1 but then made some misplays in future weeks altho para may have played a part in his losses. The saving grace for Kommo-os though were def the stab and the gg slot. Lily played super solid and only lost to fv while LBDC went ham in all his games and u could def make an argument that he deserved to be 5-0 considering their game vs byleth. All their starters did show what they are capable of in week 4 when they beat tyrantrums (who were #2 at that time) convincingly but a loss to wigglies in the week after pretty much sealed the deal.

Finishing off , i think the draft really fucked up kommo-os as it doesnt make sense why would u buy so many players for 1 slot when u couldve easily improved ur others. Going 1-7 vs Spindas was probably the last thing they wanted after a decent enough start, as they still wouldve been in decent position if not for their awful w/l.

Good luck to remaining teams, Trums vs Wigglies might end up in another elimination so watch out for that series.

a loser

I'm a loser, baby, so why don't you kill me?
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Community Contributor Alumnus
a loser's OMPL BH Review: Week 5
a loser vs MAMP
:Xerneas-Neutral::Zygarde-Complete::Celesteela::Ho-Oh::Zamazenta-crowned::Tapu Fini: vs :Zamazenta-crowned::Regigigas::Ho-Oh::Groudon::Eternatus::Xerneas-Neutral:
Both sides share Zama-C, Ho-Oh, and Xerneas, but MAMP’s Regigigas, Groudon, and Eternatus could potentially stand out. Offensive Groudon with Thousand Arrows and Glance wouldn’t mind two Steel-types and a Zygarde-C all that much but we'll see what MAMP's Don is running.

The game leads off with a couple double switches from both sides. MAMP’s Xern lead likely didn’t want to be trapped by Soundproof Zyg-C and I didn’t want to be down a mon on turn 1. Next I didn’t want Zama-C going down to Groudon and didn’t want to risk Zyg-C becoming setup bait or hit on a read so I went Celesteela as MAMP set Spikes. His Ho-Oh gets in and I can see that Fire Lash / Brave Bird is going to be a pain but my Zyg-C is able to at least stall it out somewhat with threat of Entrainment but not easily. Xern is brought in again to face Zyg-C and I bring in Ho-Oh to take Boomburst and immediately double here as I didn’t want to lose Ho-Oh early to coverage like Rend or Diamond Storm and end up losing momentum as MAMP Volt Switches to bring Ho-Oh back in. I don’t have a great switch here so I waste a turn by just recovering as MAMP doubles to get the orb activated on Gigas, anticipating I switch out. I end up catching Groudon with Anchor Shot and am able to setup to +4 and KO Don with Oblivion Wing. I thought about being greedy and getting to +6 but I didn’t want to lose momentum from Topsy-Turvy, but I definitely should have after MAMP revealed Entrainment which leaves Ground STAB as the only 4th slot option.
Anyway, Etern is sent in and I wasn’t sure what it could do here to scare Celesteela. It could potentially just Volt Switch or reveal some Nasty Plot and/or Fire coverage to roast me but it ends up giving me Black Sludge via Trick and taking 30% thanks to Ice Scales. I switch out here, bringing in Scales Zama-C, but considered staying in to spam Oblivion Wing since it didn’t look like MAMP had any direct ways of countering setup. However, I still didn’t want to be further punished by Etern and would have used up all my Oblivion Wing PP trying to stall it. Etern tricks away Zama-C’s Leftovers as I get Spikes up and reveal Swords Dance while MAMP brings in Ho-Oh. Trapping Etern first instead of setting Spikes was probably a more optimal play so I could set up on it, but it also could have swapped the Shed Shell back to escape. A few turns later I end up spinning away all of MAMP’s Spikes with Ho-Oh but this allows Gigas to come in and start Swords Dancing. I send in Zyg-C to tank a +2 Facade and force it out with Entrainment and find an opportunity to heal knowing Gigas will be KO’d if it stays and attacks. At turn 30, MAMP’s Ho-Oh is in a good position though, spamming Brave Bird on -1 Def Zyg-C for around 42% and forcing me to recover. Perhaps I act too early here, but I use Entrainment trying to anticipate a second Fire Lash to further drop my defense but MAMP continues the bird spam and leaves Zyg-C at a precarious 27% (which guarantees a KO to Brave Bird). This very briefly forces out Ho-Oh and I finally find an opening to activate Xern’s Toxic Orb before getting forced out by an unknown Zama-C. Zama uses Swords Dance too and my Prankster Fini forces it out, getting Nuzzled the following turn by Gigas in exchange for Stealth Rock. I have to bring in Black Sludge Steela now to check Gigas and after being Nuzzled, MAMP brings Ho-Oh back in. I chip Ho-Oh with +2 O-wing and bring in Xern while it heals up. I’m running out of options here so I try to create an opening by setting up with Xern. So +1 Xern is facing a Jolly Regigigas and I have an 11.7% chance to 2HKO it with Moonblast and go for it. MAMP is scared off and brings Zama-C back in and gets surprised by Will-O-Wisp as it sets up. It manages to chip Xern pretty well though with Tough Claws Sunsteel before going down, which puts it in range of Ho-Oh’s Brave Bird and basically from here Ho-Oh cleans up the battle thanks to Zyg-C having no windows to heal up.

MGLO Ho-Oh stole the show here but it had a highly favorable matchup against Wisp Xern and two Steel-types. I was honestly surprised MAMP didn’t bring a Prankster after I should have beat them in our World Cup match when I brought an incorrectly teched DrumBurden mon. MAMP’s team was interesting, but continues a trend of theirs that lacks setup checks (example being no spectral, prankster, etc).

Career Ended vs cityscapes
:Palkia::Lunala::Tapu Fini::Celesteela::Ho-Oh::Regigigas: vs :Calyrex-Ice::Lunala::Regigigas::Eternatus::Xerneas-Neutral::Celesteela:
I’m not sure why but it is kinda refreshing to see no Zamazenta at team preview. Lunala, Gigas, and Celesteela are shared by both sides. cityscapes is no stranger to Electric coverage on Xerneas so I wonder how well career’s team will hold up with Steela and Ho-Oh looking like the Xern checks. city also doesn’t appear to have a for sure Palkia check so we’ll see how that goes.

Things get interesting quickly, with a slow pivot from Ice Rider bringing in Swords Dance Gigas while career Flip Turns to bring in the “Regigigas check” Lunala. I say it like this because actual checks to this mon are few and far between these days, as it seemingly always has the right coverage to break through Ghosts, Dragons, Steels, you name it. Well career catches some luck here as city’s Gigas misses two Poltergeists in a row that allows career to set Spikes and Whirlwind it away. This was a tough break seeing as Poltergeist had a nice chance to OHKO there, but Whirlwind brings in city’s Xerneas and allows a safe Toxic Orb activation. Xern QD’s while career brings in Ho-Oh and then Xern zaps it with Zap Cannon for 70% and paralysis while Ho-Oh is seen using Dragon Dance. Xern is taken out here by city, but I’m not quite sure why other than they didn’t wanna miss Zap and randomly die or something but this gives Ho-Oh time to refresh itself with a surprise Jungle Healing. So now +1 Ho-Oh is up against Teravolt Eternatus and it blasts it for 86% with V-create, meaning Ho-Oh is Tinted Lens. This wasn’t enough for the KO though and Etern erases the damage easily with Strength Sap. Ho-Oh is brought back for Celesteela as city sets Spikes with Etern and brings in her own Steela to chip career’s with Rocky Helmet on the Rapid Spin. career’s Steela Knocks Off the helmet and continues to click Knock while city brings in an itemless Lunala to take the hit. This is really neat because it allows her Lunala to improof Poltergeist Gigas while still taking down opposing Lunala. However, it is taking mid 40s from Knock Off and is forced to spam recovery until finally hitting Steela with Glare to force it out. This winds up bringing Ho-Oh and Etern to face off again and this time career just starts spamming Dragon Dance with hopes to out PP Etern’s Sap. Sap and Dance go on for several turns before city tosses in a Sludge Bomb and gets the poison too.
At +2 now with lots of Speed, Ho-Oh starts on the offensive despite the status and chip and KO’s Steela on the switch, followed by Ice Rider who full paras on what I knew to be Ice Shard, and then Etern on the next turn to leave Ho-Oh at 3% and plenty of boosts left. city brings in Lunala next, and I didn’t realize it earlier but taking mid 40s from unboosted Knock Off means Lunala isn’t Fur Coat and this makes it vulnerable to be KO’d by V-create. city realizes this too and decides to sack Regigigas, assuming Ho-Oh will be KO’d by poison the following turn but career actually heals with Jungle Healing here and OHKOs the Gigas the next turn. Things are looking dire for city here with two mons left but three V-creates remaining, but she still has hope in getting a low roll from V-create if Lunala is running Unaware. This isn’t needed, though, as Lunala dodges V-create and forces Ho-Oh out with Glare. Here, career makes a call to bring in Prankster Tapu Fini and this ends up losing tons of momentum as it gives city an opportunity to setup again with Xerneas. Fini Flip Turns to bring in PH Gigas on the QD and from here, Xern has a 20.7% chance to 2HKO it with +1 Moonblast while Gigas, if Adamant, has a 69.1% chance to 2HKO Xern with Facade. Xern gets the mid roll twice while Gigas gets two pretty low rolls and is KO’d the next turn. Steela is brought in by career in response and city decides not to risk a 6.3% OHKO chance with Zap Cannon and brings in Lunala instead and over the next few turns is able to heal up, paralyze Fini, and spam Hex. career’s Lunala is brought in off a pivot to face city’s and her Lunala goes first hitting it with Glare and getting the full para too. It dies to Hex the following turn and career brings in Fini hoping perhaps to Flip Turn on Lunala but full paras instead, again losing momentum to Xerneas and allowing it to set up. After QDing, Xern takes down Steela with a slightly less inaccurate move in Magma Storm to KO it and cleans up the rest from there for the win.

Things were looking pretty bleak for cityscapes for a moment. Two misses early and a series of solid plays from career put her in a big 6-2 hole before luck changed and career started giving away his momentum. I thought both teams were neat and unique with uncommon coverage options seen on city’s mons and a really heat Ho-Oh set from career.

ItsChew. vs quojova
:Xerneas-Neutral::Zygarde-Complete::Kyurem-Black::Lunala::Heatran::Solgaleo: vs :Kyogre::Dialga::Xerneas-Neutral::Palkia::Eternatus::Chansey:
chew's team looks like either a typical "breaker + improof" type build or a 1300s style offensive team while quojova is back to forgetting Ghost-types and is one of those without a true Xern check, at least on appearance. Depending on if it packs Bolt Strike, Kyu-B could be an issue for quojova but quojova's Palkia or Etern could easily give chew problems.

An Imposter lead tells us ItsChew is packing Simple No Retreat Lunala and quojova quickly switches out to bring in Kyogre to tank a 220 BP Stored Power for 95% and steal the boosts. This means Kyogre is most likely +Def RegenVest, which would have taken 99.5% max. Kyogre stays in and starts firing off Origin Pulses, hitting both of them to KO Lunala and chip chew's Zyg-C down enough to trigger its Sitrus Berry before it is KOed by Precipice Blades. With Unburden now activated, quojova sends in Xerneas to face Zyg-C and ItsChew reacts by bringing in Heatran to take a Boomburst. Heatran hits a Dialga switch-in with Glare before being replaced by Zyg-C, who uses Final Gambit to heavily chip Dialga and make an opening where chew brings in Solgaleo. I'm not sure why ItsChew brought Solgaleo in here to face a 29% Dialga that Xern or Kyu-B could easily remove but the Solgaleo Belly Drums while Dialga removes its ability with Core Enforcer and is KO'd the next turn by Wicked Blow. quojova brings in Imposter, meaning it is either Choice Scarf or that he doesn't have a Prankster and has to risk a Speed tie. Either way, quojova wins the tie to KO Solgaleo and chew loses all momentum having to bring in Prankster Heatran. Heatran uses Haze here but quojova smartly switches out to bring in a Poison Heal Palkia that would have hated being Glared. Palkia uses Nuzzle to cripple a switched in Xerneas and chips it with Fishious Rend before going down to Boomburst. I was thinking quojova would send Imposter back out but opts for a Simple Eternatus instead that shakes off Heatran's Glare with a Lum Berry while it removes its ability with Core Enforcer. ItsChew is forced out now so that he won't lose to Etern and he sacks Xerneas to bring Heatran back in safely. Over the next several turns, neither side click the moves I'd expect but Etern ends up paralyzed so Heatran doesn't need its ability to Haze away boosts before it gets attacked. Now it's a guessing game for chew to bring in Kyu-B or just keep stalling with Glare and ends up switching in Kyu-B and takes a Blue Flare from Etern. quojova sacks Etern here so that Chansey can come in and it spams V-create before hitting what seemed like an unavoidable critical hit to KO Heatran and the game is over not long after.

Looking at this in hindsight shows that ItsChew had an almost ideal matchup thanks to quojova not bringing a Prankster. This seems odd for one of the main supporters of a Belly Drum ban but sadly for him I don't think this game will help his case. This is a prime example of how tough it can be to play with setup HO as one misplay can set you back and likely lose the game. chew messed up bringing in Solgaleo when he did because Dialga was chipped to the point where the best it could do is click something like Core or Spectral Thief as recovering there verse HO would not have helped anything.

Ren vs xavgb
:Barraskewda::Eternatus::Ferrothorn::Magearna::Zekrom::Groudon: vs :Eternatus::Xerneas-Neutral::Melmetal::Zamazenta-crowned::Groudon::Yveltal:
Barraskewda makes its OMPL X debut in BH in the first match featuring a gentleman’s agreement to ban common paralysis inducing moves. Despite Nuzzle and Glare being gone, two Groudon and a Zekrom make appearances here. Barraskewda could be in a really nice spot here thanks to stresh's team having only one Water resistant mon.

Barraskewda leads off and Flip turns on Etern for 18%, meaning it has a Choice Band and can 2HKO Etern thanks to PrimSea. Ren brings in another PrimSea mon, Magearna, who Defogs Etern's Spikes as Groudon is brought in off a Volt Switch. Looking at it now, Ren's team doesn't have an amazing switch-in for Don so Ren sends in his own Don to take a Thousand Waves. But stresh doesn't trap it and decides to send in Yveltal, who ends up removing Zekrom's Magnet with Knock Off. After playing chicken a few times, the Groudon finally trap one another and stresh's reveals Poison Fang and this allows it to quickly eliminate Ren's Volt Switch Don. This gives Skewda a free turn in which it hits Melmetal for a massive 81% that gets cut in half the next turn thanks to Prankster and results in the fish taking two rounds of Rocky Helmet damage. Ren switches out to bring in Eternatus, who starts spamming Lava Plume as stresh brings in what is now confirmed as Ice Scales Groudon. Etern forces out Don after revealing Strength Sap and landing a burn, but stresh manages to block an incoming Strength Sap with Magic Bounce Zama-C to force out Etern. A few pivots bring in Ferrothorn who traps Yveltal with Anchor Shot but takes 80% from Aerilate Boomburst, leaving it severely chipped as Zekrom comes in to take more chip from Knock Off. Not wanting to have another Sap bounced, Ren opts for Bolt Strike but misses the incoming Zama-C and is forced to bring Magearna back to remove the Spikes.
stresh seems to have the momentum here, until Ren Teleports to bring in a heavily chipped Etern to face stresh's full health Etern and OHKOs it with what looks like Adaptability Core Enforcer with Expert Belt. stresh must not have realized Etern wasn't choiced as he brings in Xerneas who takes 93% from Sludge Bomb and gets poisoned while KOing Etern with Boomburst. stresh gets momentum back though as he ends up trapping and KOing Magearna with Anchor Shot after using Encore to lock it into Defog. This allows Ren to safely bring in Ferrothorn to heal, though, and stresh responds by bringing in Yveltal. Ren then brings in Zekrom who is chipped further by Boomburst to hang on by a thread and it goes for Bolt Strike to heavily dent Zama-C for 57%. Ren can't make any switches here without risk of losing Ferro or the fish though and has to sack Zekrom to bring in Barraskewda. stresh sacks the burnt Ice Scales Don and brings in Melmetal, which forces Ren to bring Ferro back in. Both sides decide to avoid the simultaneous Anchor Shot stall and double out to have Yveltal facing the fish. This double favored Ren and led to the fish using Knock Off to remove Melm's helmet to avoid further chip. Melm then traps the incoming Ferrothorn and Ren puts off trapping once again and winds up hitting Yveltal with Entrainment to make it much less threatening.
Here stresh makes a big mistake by bringing in Zama-C and healing instead of trapping the Ferrothorn. It would have been ugly had Ferro stayed in, but it would have at least cut Barraskewda's health in half. However, I do see why stresh might have done this as Melmetal being at 80% means Fishious Rend is a roll to KO on the switch. So in order to get momentum back, stresh has to correctly guess when to send Yveltal in so it can pressure Ferro. He fails to do so, though, coming in on an Entrainment yet again and this time stresh gambles hoping that Ren doubles to bring in the fish. But alas, Ren keeps Ferrothorn in to Anchor Shot Yveltal and it goes down after a couple of turns meaning it likely had Strength Sap as recovery. Things only get worse for stresh when Ferro reveals Topsy-Turvy, meaning that it has 4 more PP than Melmetal which allows it to outlast it until it Struggles. stresh attempts to carry out the PP stall in vain before finally realizing the battle is over.

As I mentioned, stresh has the momentum for a while until suddenly throwing it all away when he lost Etern and Xern in the span of two poor turns. stresh had a chance to claw his way back in with Yveltal but everything would have had to go right and Ren was able to win all the mind games in the back end, making nice double switches and staying in at the right times.

Metagame Observations
Xerneas led the way in usage this week, again, with six uses and Etern was right behind with an OMPL X high of five uses. Regigigas had a sharp decline compared to recent weeks, only being used three times total and was only seen in half of the matches. These two matches were the only ones of the tournament to not have Gigas on either team. So far, I've been pretty surprised at Yveltal's usage in this tournament. It only got one use this week but overall it is a top 10 mon in overall usage (but has still be used 4x less than Xerneas).
Swords Dance, and not just on Regigigas now, is rising. It is a pretty neat move that I’m honestly surprised took so long to see this usage. Shift Gear and Dragon Dance have been the staple physical setup moves for so long but SD is standing out in a paralysis heavy meta as a strong alternative. And paralysis… It is no secret that paraspam is the rage lately and I’ve generally been ok with this. However, despite voting to keep Nuzzle in my last council action, I’m beginning to see how the para heavy team archetypes are becoming very overarching in teambuilding. It makes threats like Swords Dance + Coverage Gigas honestly silly to check while keeping viable mons on your team. This is definitely something that needs a hard look at but there is also no easy answer for tiering decisions here.
The battles were much shorter this week, averaging 68 turns per battle and this could have been more had stresh not stretched out the endgame and forfeited earlier.

Upcoming Matches
TTTech vs a loser - TTTech came out victorious in our playoff battle last season and since then I bested them in three games in the BH Open. Our battles are generally pretty close or get blown out by terrible matchups so I'm hoping for something in between for this one (but I mean, I'll take a busted matchup ngl).

cityscapes vs xavgb - Finally, the two best BH players we have face off. stresh is coming off his first loss in the "no para" game and city is on a four game winning streak, so far keeping her word after losing to me in the first week. I personally hope no pre-game agreements are made in this battle and am looking forward to seeing this matchup since I haven't seen it many times (city dodged stresh last OMPL [but don't @ me cause I dodged city last year too])

Career Ended vs quojova - career played his best battle yet in an interesting, fairly haxy game this week so hopefully that can be a silver lining in an otherwise bummer of a season. However, another cloud is rolling in in the form of yet another very tough opponent.

Nihilslave vs MAMP - Nihilslave is coming back after missing two weeks and hopefully all is well with them. MAMP ended their two game slide against me this week and will be looking to get back into their strong form we saw in the early weeks. I wouldn't be surprised to see some kind of cheese from Nihilslave here and I am surprised MAMP hasn't called the dogs yet this OMPL (Zacian and Zamazenta's Hero of Many Battles formes have yet to see usage).

Lastly, here's a peak at the BH player rankings so far this season.
1652108187387.png

drampa's grandpa

cannonball
is a Community Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
according to drampa's grandpa they still have a chance, but he's senile so maybe he failed the maths!
:spinda:
The Spinda Wheels currently have 8 points and +10 differential. It is possible for them to lose their current spot in the playoffs, but unlikely. What they have to do to secure their spot in the playoffs is lose twice and not have everything go wrong, or you know, not do terribly the last two weeks out of nowhere.

There are 5 teams that can conceivably pass the Spindas, although not all at once: The Hawluchas, the Lopunnys, the Tyrantrums, the Mavericks, and the Wigglys. We would need four of them to do so in order for the Spindas to not make playoffs.

Week 6
-Malding Mavericks vs. Honey Linoones - As the Linoones cannot pass the Spindas how they do is irrelevant here, and thus the Mavericks doing better gives more leeway.

-Temper Tyrantrums vs. Wiggly Family - This is the hardest one to judge, as either of these teams can conceivably pass the Spindas. We will leave it for now and figure out what we need below.

-Spinda Wheels vs. Larping Lopunnys - Obviously the path which makes this easiest is for the Spinda to lose, again by the greatest possible margin. If it is by more than 3 than the Lopunnys take the lead over the Spinda. They need this lead, although since the Spinda need to lose the next week too they could possibly afford to be tied or down one.

-Uh Oh Kommo-os vs. Hammered Hawluchas - Similarly to the Linoones, the Kommo-os cannot pass the Spindas. Any win will have them pass the Spindas if the Spindas lose, shifting the Spindas down one slot.

This leaves us with
Spinda - 8 (+2)
Hawluchas - 9 (Whatever)
Lopunnys - 8 (+12)
Mavericks - 7 (+8)
Tyrantrums - 5?
Wigglys - 4?

As you can see the Spinda are down to third place here. If they were to be knocked out of playoffs they need to be bumped down two more spaces.

Week 7
Hammered Hawluchas vs. Temper Tyrantrums - Hawluchas already passed the Spindas, so the Tyrantrums can pass if they win this AND beat the Wigglys the previous week. If the Wigglys won the previous week this match doesn't matter much, unless the Hawluchas lose to the Kommo-os.
Wiggly Family vs. Spinda Wheels - Spindas need to lose here, so Wigglys can pass if they win here AND beat the Tyrantrums the previous week. This is an even longer shot than the rest of this convoluted scenario because the difference between the differentials of the Wigglys and the Spindas is 16, and the Wigglys can only tie.
Larping Lopunnys vs. Malding Mavericks - The Mavericks need to win by a margin that doesn't bump the Lopunnys down below the Spindas. A tie would also work here, so long as the Mavericks have a high enough differential they are not below the Spinda.
Uh Oh Kommo-os vs. Honey Linoones - Doesn't matter for this.

The end result...

Hawluchas
Tyrantrums OR Wigglys
Mavericks
Lopunnys

can all pass Spindas, if the right teams win, the Mavericks and Lopunnys keep their differentials high enough, and the Spindas absolutely collapse the next two weeks.

:hawlucha:
Similarly to the Spindas the Hawluchas are in pretty good shape going into the final two weeks of the regular season. Unlike the Spindas it wouldn't actually take a miracle to take them out of the semi-finals. They currently have 7 points and +6 differential. This, in theory, puts them in reach of any team except the Linoone.

Week 6

Malding Mavericks
vs. Honey Linoones - If the Mavericks win with a significant differential they already pass the Hawluchas. The Linoones can never pass the Hawluchas.
Temper Tyrantrums vs. Wiggly Family - Either team can, in theory, pass the Hawluchas. This can be a tie and both teams could still pass the Hawluchas, or the Wigglys can win to still be in the running.
Spinda Wheels vs. Larping Lopunnys - Spindas winning puts them further out of reach and makes them care less what the Hawluchas do. Lopunnys have to do better than the Hawluchas but either should work.
Uh Oh Kommo-os vs. Hammered Hawluchas - Kommo-os can technically pass Hawluchas.

Week 7

Hammered Hawluchas vs. Temper Tyrantrums - The Tyrantrums need to win this week in order to pass the Hawluchas, and in order for several of the other teams to pass them or stay past.
Wiggly Family vs. Spinda Wheels - Sorry Spindas, you don't need more wins when you're #1 already.
Larping Lopunnys vs. Malding Mavericks - Depending on what happened last week either or both of these could be ahead of the Hawluchas.
Uh Oh Kommo-os vs. Honey Linoones - The Kommo-o can make it and the Linoones can't

So the tl;dr
The Tyrantrums (8-9 Points)
The Wigglys (7-8 Points)
The Kommo-os (7 Points, +4 Differential)
The Spinda (8 Points)
The Larping Loppunys (8-9 Points)
and The Mavericks (8-9 Points)
can all in theory pass the Hawlucha at once, if everything goes to plan, putting them squarely in seventh place.

Fast forward to...
:linoone:
Yeh I realized like halfway through Hawluchas that anything not at the extremes is boring af right now. Maybe next week.

The Linoones currently have 2 points and -8 as their differential. Can they make it in?

Now the first question to be asking is: what's the absolute minimum to make it into semifinals as of now? The answer being five points. Can the Linoones make that? Yes they can! So I'm not going to stop here and will continue, because there's hope.

The second question I'm going to look at is what's the absolute maximum score the Linoone can get? The answer is 6 Points +8 Differential. I'll keep this in mind as we go, both to know which teams are already out of reach and as a limit to not push teams over.

Week 6

Malding Mavericks vs. Honey Linoones - Obviously in the Linoones ideal world they win everything.
Temper Tyrantrums vs. Wiggly Family - This match is tricky, so I'll see what next week looks like. I will note that a tie keeps both within our boundaries, as does a mild win (AKA no crazy differential) for the Wigglys.
Spinda Wheels vs. Larping Lopunnys - Spinda are one of the two teams the Linoone cannot hope to beat, so they don't matter.
Uh Oh Kommo-os vs. Hammered Hawluchas - Hawluchas are the other team the Linoone cannot hope to beat.

So far our semis look like

Spindas
Hawluchas
Linoones
Misc

Assuming we can boost Linoones in. We can allow one more team to pass us.

Week 7

Hammered Hawluchas
vs. Temper Tyrantrums - No reason to not allow the Hawluchas to win here.
Wiggly Family vs. Spinda Wheels - Same with the Spinda.
Larping Lopunnys vs. Malding Mavericks - This is the match. One of these teams will pass the Linoones.
Uh Oh Kommo-os vs. Honey Linoones - Gotta win 'em all

So the ideal lineup for the Linoones for playoffs looks like
Spindas
Hawluchas
Winner of Lopunnys v Mavericks
Linoones

... and then they get to play the Spindas in semis.... fun!

Please let me know if I messed anything up!

Last edited:

Dr. Phd. BJ

aphasia
is a defending SCL Champion
OMPL Champion
a couple people requested this last week, but here is a godly gift week 5 review
Screenshot 2022-05-10 10.49.53 AM.png

Team Preview:
At preview we see that crying loads a unique ho team, featuring Registeel in speed and Talonflame in attack. It's tough to tell what the sets could be at preview, however it can be deduced that Tapu Koko likely isn't screens because it is in SpA and not HP. The only possible rocker on crying's team is Registeel, which may or may not be rocks depending on if it's idef + amnesia or not. Crying likely isn't running removal, as the only options would be spin Pheromosa or defog Tapu Koko. On the other side, we see that Dr. Phd. BJ has loaded up stall. So far in this tour, stall has been loaded up twice (Lily vs FlamingVictini week 3, crying vs Meta week 5), both times failing to win. Dr. Phd. BJ's stall definitely emphasizes the hazards, boasting what appears to be spikes Skarmory + rocks Clefable/Tyranitar, in addition to Magic Bounce Xatu to deter opposing hazard setters. The stall looks to be a great bring here, as there is a check/counter for all 6 of crying's mons. If I were to look at preview, I would say that crying's only chance of winning would be with potential SD Kart and SD Talon, or if she can do something to lure Gastrodon for Tapu Koko.

Key Turns:
Turn 2 -
Dr. Phd. BJ trades Skarmory's helmet for a layer of spikes. Spikes do great here, crying wants helmet knocked off for physical attackers
Turn 5 -
Crying doubles into Pheromosa from Registeel in order to catch Xatu. Pheromosa then reveals life orb ice beam which can be scary if it freezes something. Pheromosa however takes rocks, a layer of spike, and sand chip before getting to attack.
Turn 9 -
Pheromosa goes for +1 focus blast against Gastrodon, which does 67% as Pheromosa dies to Scald. Interesting trade seeing as there was an unaware Clefable, however I did not want to risk an ice beam freeze on Clef, and I knew a Focus Blast crit had less odds than an ice beam freeze.
Turn 12 -
Dr. Phd. BJ clicks Body Press as Weavile clicks sd. This was a good read, as it kept Clefable and Skarm both healthy, however Clefable would've been a much safer play as Weavile did not take rocks (boots), and Clef would have taken a couple Axels. If crying opted to Triple Axel (and connected), then Kartana could have potentially done some work
Turn 25 -
Crying sends in Tapu Koko, and it reveals electric seed. Very cool set, however Dr. Phd. BJ can go into Gastrodon after Xatu teleport, get an extra turn of leftovers, and essentially ends the game.
Thoughts:
Dr. Phd. BJ definitely loaded a favorable mu, and crying unfortunately ran into stall while using 6 setup sweepers. Quiver Pheromosa, eseed cm Tapu Koko, SD Talon, there were a lot of really cool offensive picks that you don't normally see, just wrong place wrong time.

Screenshot 2022-05-10 11.52.02 AM.png

Team Preview:
Lily opted to bring a very similar team that she brought week 2 vs crying. The main difference is that Crawdaunt is banned, so now there is a Galar-Moltres in SpA (was Kommo-o before) and Kommo-o is now in Speed. Overall a really good offensive structure, with custap lead Skarmory and screens Tapu Koko to enable a bunch of setup sweepers. Meta brought probably my favorite looking team this week, featuring double ghosts in Lunala and Blacephalon. The Blace could be scarf, specs, or cm, it isn't 100% at preview but my guess would be scarf. Lunala is probably offensive, since it can overwhelm ghost checks much better, and there is a Rotom-W that can be defog. There is a voltturn component with Lando + Rotom-W + Tapu Koko, which can give free switch ins for the ghosts. In addition, there is a speed Bisharp that can pressure defoggers and acts as a nice breaker + revenge killer + win con on this build. At preview, I would probably give the edge to Lily because Meta does not really have a good Kartana check, as the way of handling Kartana is pivoting Lando and trying to revenge it with Bisharp sucker or scarf Blace. However, Meta definitely has solid tools here, as Bisharp, Tapu Koko, and Lunala can give Lily some issues.

Key Turns:
Turn 1 -
Lily leads with Skarm as Meta leads with Tapu Koko. Meta clicks dazzling gleam to avoid custap and kills with thunderbolt the next turn. This seems like a normal trade, however I would have much preferred if Meta lead with Lunala instead. Skarmory usually runs negative ivs on custap, and Lunala could have outright killed Skarmory thanks to moongeist beam going through sturdy. This would have put Lily in a weird spot, as if she chooses to go into Galar-Moltres, she would have to fear meteor beam. Even if it wasn't meteor beam, Meta could have went Tapu Koko pretty safely on Galar-Moltres, especially since it would have taken chip to ensure thunderbolt kills. If Lily were to double back into Skarm on Lunala as Meta went Koko, it would have been the same position but with Galar-Moltres taking chip. Overall, I think Lunala lead just made things very awkward for Lily and she would have had to predict more, and Meta could have made some aggressive reads too.
Turn 3 -
Lily reflects with Tapu Koko which covers u-turn into Landorus. Lily gets both screens up, and taunts Lando as it clicks rocks on turn 5. Meta could have clicked earthquake which wouldn't have killed Koko (0 Atk Landorus-Therian Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Tapu Koko through Reflect: 169-201 (40.6 - 48.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO), and then u-turned safely the next turn. I think taunt was obvious, because Lily could have been fearing defog in addition to opposing rocks/toxic. Not the worst thing for Meta, looks much bigger short term than it is long term.
Turn 10 -
Mewtwo kills Lunala. Weakness policy triggered on Lando u-turn. With screens up and Mewtwo clicking cm, Lunala could stall screen turns so that Bisharp can come in and sucker to revenge. Also could have potentially crit Mewtwo, not a bad option from Lily to take her kill. Lunala also took rocks damage, which means that it was either specs or power herb.
+3 0 SpA Mewtwo Stored Power (140 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Lunala: 258-304 (62 - 73%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Mewtwo was 0 SpA, which meant that it was likely max HP.
252 SpA Lunala Moongeist Beam vs. +1 252 HP / 0 SpD Mewtwo through Light Screen: 124-147 (29.8 - 35.3%) -- 23.6% chance to 3HKO
Moongeist damage is not specs, so it was very likely power herb + meteor beam. Drop a like cause I actually went through all that work to figure out the spreads xd
Turn 12 -
Tapu Koko comes in and clicks Reflect. Meta does SD which is a great play as it makes it tougher for Lily to go into Kartana, but it seems very tough nonetheless.
Turn 16 -
Kartana kills Bisharp and gets the attack boost, which is good for meta since the speed boost would have been much scarier. Meta was fine not clicking sucker because Lily realistically could have clicked SD predicting lando, or even knock off if she's crazy enough to predict scarf blace. Another note is that if it were to be timid Kartana, the roll for +2 knock off into sucker is still really low
+2 252+ Atk Black Glasses Bisharp Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Kartana through Reflect: 161-190 (50 - 59%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252+ Atk Black Glasses Bisharp Sucker Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Kartana through Reflect: 116-137 (36 - 42.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
If Kartana was no hp and max attack, then it makes sense as to why sacred sword was clicked there.
Turn 17 -
Meta doubles from Lando into Blace, unsure what the thought process here, but Lily just switched into Galar-Moltres likely predicting eq and wanting preserve health to check Tapu Koko, and life orb hits on Kartana.
Turn 18 -
Meta clicks flamethrower with Blace, and then dies to fiery wrath. Looking at rolls, it appears to be specs Blace and the Galar-Moltres is probably cutting some speed in favor of hp (flamethrower did 30%)
252 SpA Choice Specs Blacephalon Flamethrower vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Moltres-Galar through Light Screen: 102-120 (31.7 - 37.3%) -- 86.1% chance to 3HKO
Turn 24 -
This is the game right here, Tapu Koko vs Kommo-o speed tie. Kommo-o wins the tie and kills Tapu Koko with ice punch, which had a 30% min roll here unironically. This really sucks for Meta considering he simply clicked u-turn into Lando sac, then clicked tbolt on the Kartana and won barring sd synthesis Kartana (lol). Kartana being forced to take the u-turn chip turn 21 and the life orb hits from Bisharp + Rotom-W really came into play here.
Thoughts:
Overall an entertaining game, I think Meta could have lead differently, but asides that played pretty well. Lily played pretty safely and almost lost to late game Tapu Koko. I'm surprised Kartana didn't get more mileage in this game, but it makes sense since Lily probably thinks it's scarf blacephalon at preview. I definitely underestimated Meta's Tapu Koko at preview, and it's very unfortunate Meta essentially lost on a 50/50. The issue structures like Lily's face is that since there are essentially 2 dedicated leads, you often are down in the sac game early and need something to sweep or kill like 3 mons. If that does not happen, then you just lose 2-0/1-0 by slowly letting everything getting revenged.

Screenshot 2022-05-10 1.43.17 PM.png

Team Preview:
Both players opted to run voltturn structures this week. Jrdn's team has an emphasis on the speed slot, boasting a fast Pangoro. The sets could be interchangeable at some points, but if I were to guess it would be defog Rotom + scarf Victini + rocks Lando from Jrdn. Rotom could be scarf, Clefable could be rocks, little differences like that could exist. On the other side, lepton is utilizing double dragon, both of which possibly being extreme speed. Lepton's team looks kinda slow, so I think Galar-Slowking in speed is scarf, and Lando is the only possible rocker here so that would be the safest assumption to make at preview. Overall a somewhat neutral matchup, however Pangoro looks to be extremely menacing depending on the set as it looks to outpace everything pretty comfortably here. For that reason, I would give the mu advantage to Jrdn. Jrdn's Zamazenta also looks solid, as the only Behemoth Blade answers are Rotom-W and Landorus. Jrdn's Rotom-W can also volt pretty freely, as both of lepton's grounds fear wisp. Jrdn's only electric resist is Lando, so in theory lepton can make some start her own voltturn chain with Rotom-W + Tapu Koko. Glowking can be tough for Jrdn to switch into, as sludge bomb + ice beam/scald can be tough to play around. Assuming Zydog is banded, that can possibly 2HKO everything as well. Both players have some great offensive tools, so this battle likely will not be too long.

Key Turns:
Turn 3 -
Glowking reveals Future Sight, likely meaning that it is av. Seeing this makes Pangoro look that much more threatening.
Turn 5 -
Pangoro comes in on a slow u-turn to avoid Future Sight. Upon switching in, Pangoro reveals Mold Breaker. Seeing Mold Breaker means that the Pangoro is SD, since Mold Breaker lets it break through Unaware mons easier (Banded would be Scrappy to avoid Intimidate, Moldy CB makes no sense).
Turn 10 -
Jrdn gets a slow volt switch into Pangoro as Future Sight hits. If Jrdn was faster, then he would have likely had to go into Clefable to scout wisp and not Pangoro to mitigate Future Sight.
Turn 12 -
Pangoro knock does 41% to Lando, the build up is getting real
Turn 16 -
Lepton crits hydro pump on Clef, great play I too love critting hydro pump on Clef. This opens up lepton's Rotom-W to put in work.
Turn 18 -
In.
Turn 19 -
The opposing Pangoro used Close Combat!
It's not very effective...
(RETSU KAIOU lost 100% of its health!)
Turn 23 -
In. At this point Jrdn kinda just cleans with Pangoro + others, really cool bring with a lot of style points, I don't think lepton could have done too much because even if she were to not click espeed and 1k arrows, Pangoro just came back in and claimed. The only thing lepton could have done was scald on turn 18 with Galar-Slowking if she had it, but even then it felt kinda dire.
Thoughts:
Jrdn was able to force in Glowking a lot, and capitalized with Pangoro. Jrdn has been a top 3 gg player this tour, and it isn't surprising seeing him win in a convincing manner.

Screenshot 2022-05-10 2.24.13 PM.png

Team Preview:
Sun vs Kyogre. A lot going on here, but I can attempt to process this. TPP's team looks much easier to analyze, as it is likely spikes Ferrothorn + rocks Lando, and then magic guard Clef + boots Tapu Koko which allows TPP to exchange hazards with opposing teams much easier. Urshifu being in speed is interesting, as now it's slower than Kyurems, Rayquaza, and other base 95s. Kyogre team comps always end up feeling weird, but for the most part this is how they end up looking. Mossy has opted to bring sun with only 1 chloro user and no fire type asides Torkoal. It feels cool having that sun dynamic, however I do not know how beneficial it is overall. It's tough to analyze Mossy's team, but my best guesses would be defog Lando, offensive Mewtwo with some fighting/fire move for Heatran or to benefit from sun, SD weavile, growth Venusaur, rocks Torkoal, and either ada scarf/jolly band Gapdos. Overall the matchup is tough to predict. Mewtwo looks great here for Mossy, and if Gapdos catches lando on a double it gets a kill. TPP's Kyogre can be troublesome depending on the set, and Urshifu looks promising with some chip on Venusaur, especially if hazards stay up. I would probably give the edge to TPP at preview, only because Kyogre really pressures Torkoal and prevents it from getting a free turn and keeping sun up.

Key Turns:
Turn 3 -
Mewtwo clicks wisp on Ferrothorn. Statusing Ferrothorn is great, but it really makes me wonder why the Mewtwo is dropping fire move/fighting move/nasty plot, as Mewtwo can only run 4 moves. I also don't like this because this set is walled by Heatran, and this team's only fire resist is Torkoal. This Mewtwo set does work here, although I am not a huge fan of it on this build.
Turn 6 -
Mossy doubles into Gapdos on Lando, and gets his kill. Amazing play here, especially considering that psystrike and wisp also worked, however those plays don't nearly offer the same reward as that double. TPP sacrifices Lando, and Mossy is off to a great start.
Turn 9 -
After scarf Urshifu scares out Gapdos, Torkoal comes in. This allows TPP to go into Kyogre, and he reveals that he isn't some block cm set, none of this cm stuff. Hard water spout as Mossy sends in Torkoal attempting to go back into Venusaur. At this point, it looks really dire as Mossy just lost his sun setter. He does predict the Ferrothorn with Venusaur on the following turn, but then Kyogre is back in.
Turn 14 -
Another Tapu Koko speed tie, Gapdos wins it. Bad Koko mojo. Mossy really needed to win this tie in order to stay ahead in the sac game. Urshi then comes in and claims one with Surging Strikes.
Turn 17 -
Weavile switches moves, revealing that it is not some random scarfer. TPP could have killed it with scarf surging strikes in rain earlier, but did not want to risk getting scarf knocked off. Very smart play from TPP, as he appears to be in a great spot with Kyogre + Urshi. TPP clicked rocks here in case Mewtwo has bulk I believe, as scarf Urshifu in rain already kills Mewtwo.
252 Atk Urshifu-Rapid-Strike Surging Strikes (3 hits) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mewtwo in Rain on a critical hit: 306-363 (86.6 - 102.8%)
If Weavile got a roll on Clef or crit any axel, I am pretty sure Urshifu u-turn/cc into Kyogre still won barring an Origin Pulse miss, which Mossy still had to play for anyways.
+2 252 Atk Weavile Triple Axel (40 BP) (3 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 288-342 (73 - 86.8%) -- approx. 2HKO after Leftovers recovery -- approx. 6.3% chance to OHKO
Thoughts:

Overall well played by both, the Kyogre being specs and not cm definitely won it for TPP. Mossy honestly played really solid, but in the end couldn't fend off Kyogre + scarf Urshifu. I really wish the Mewtwo set was different, although I am sure there is a reason for it. Low key is that Lando weather ball for Ferrothorn?

1.) Voltturn seems to be really common, there was a ton of Lando/Rotom/Koko this week, probably the most common play style atm
2.) The dreaded 130 speed ties that existed in etern meta have not gone away, I blame Koko and Mewtwo
3.) Spikes and hazard stacking, we saw 3 Skarm/Ferros, and all 3 of which won this week.
4.) Clefable teams went 3-0 as well, nothing new
5.) A lot of variety, stall, ho, and balance all won this week

Last edited:

Osake

Hasta Siempre
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Salutations good people of the Other Metagames Premier League (Tenth Edition) Week Six thread! I hope I find you all well on this beautiful day.

I am here in my official capacity of Manager of the Wiggly Family Team with a bittersweet announcement. Due to an unforeseen change in circumstances we (myself and Dragonillis) on behalf of the whole Wiggly team must hereby substitute out the skilled Balanced Hackmons player MAMP from his upcoming contest of wits and talent against the unarguably formidable opponent Nihilslave of The Temper Tyrantrums, as capably managed by the dedicated and likeable pairing of OM and drampa's grandpa. While substituting out MAMP comes with great sadness and regret, that sadness is tempered by the joy and pride I feel in allowing the excellent and enthusiastic player anaconja to have their first game of this season! Hopefully everyone following this tournament, not least the exemplary hosting team of two Isaiah and UT, will share my anticipation in seeing another deserving player prove themselves on the field of (pokemon) battle!

Owo.

TL;DR MAMP out - anaconja in

4/4 lfg I'm in a good record right now. As usual, may write long or short if I really have much to say to the matchup.

SS NFE: Ojr vs Pdt (58:42)
What are these UU players doing here playing NFE? :blobglare:
Besides that, I think ojr has more chance to win this match with what has been shown on both performance and teams. But I think pdt should not be underestimated as I would argue they could be 2-0 in NFE and that Leo game was rather unfortunate despite the mu was in pdt's favor by far. I can imagine seeing quite of reads from double switching and staying in from both of them in the match. But yeah, if ojr has a good matchup against pdt, then it'll be hard for them just simply bc the ojr would be much better at abusing the SS NFE interactions. While if pdt has a good mu I can still see ojr having a chance to win. In the end, I'm looking forward to this match just based on the player-wise.

SS NFE: Stareal vs Tlenit (45:55)
I think 85% aka the #1 Marshtomp hater aka #1 Piloswine lover will make sure to prepare for that MU if Stareal ever decides to pull out this week lol. This matchup will be strongly depended on who will be the better player and to some degree which game plan will cause more damage to the opponent. I'll give simply Tlenit more chance to win more for the prep alone, but not as huge since Stareal hasn't brought that bad teams. I think both of them are close in skill since both have played NFE at a high level before and understand how SS NFE will work. I think it'll end up a close match regardless of who wins.

SS NFE: TJ vs King Leo V (52:48)
I feel like TJ should win here with the Stresh/Greybaum(?) support, but I'm never doubting King Leo V in the last weeks because Leo just somehow performs really well in team tours at the near end, although not to the same degree as playoffs. For preparation I think Leo is a slight advantage as he can prepare for what they'll bring, while I can't say the same for stresh just simply because Leo's teams are rather obscure to prepare in general. That can also be a double-edged sword since Leo's teams end up more vulnerable against other matchups, which is a noticeable issue that happened against Tlenit and pdt recently. So this advantage can be questioned at least. I think both of them are rather even in player skill, so I'll imagine it could end up in another close match. But if I had to pick, I'm giving it to TJ for now.

SS NFE: S1nn0hC0nfirm3d(Ho3n) vs Jonfilch (52:48)
I'll go with a hot take in here and I believe Ho3n will win this match. While I'm not particularly happy with how Ho3n has been playing his games, especially last week, I simply think that Ho3n's prep on matchup has not only been on point, just extremely solid where it felt like one-sided for him. And I think the advantage alone can be a huge factor against Jonfilch, specifically against Mirbro builds and Dr. Phd. BJ and Jett's feedback.
One thing I can see ho3n pull out that could potentially be effective to bring is the NFE-specific techs that Jonfilch may not be aware of, which can be also a hidden advantage. That's something Mirbro isn't all aware of, and somewhat same with Jett/Dr P. Jonfilch has been caught off guard not knowing some moves on particular mons, like Hattrem using healing wish at him vs TJ in w2.
My other reasoning is that I don't personally think Jonfilch's plays are insane/super amazing. It's just that he doesn't do such bad moves and he's just smart as a player. There have been some dumb plays he has kinda done before, but overall I like what he has shown.
If ho3n is not putting himself in worse positions and making better moves than he did last week, I think he can take this game with a clear victory. Still don't underestimate Jonfilch and his support because they're 5-0 in NFE slot for a damn good reason. Both players can clearly take the game, but I would bet on ho3n and if he plays better than he did last week then it can be a clear one IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)