Tournament OMPL X - Commencement

Status
Not open for further replies.

UT

The sand hurts my feelings
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Team Rateris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Appeals + C&C Lead

Art by Kiwi
Use this thread if you want to bring up drafts, power rankings, predictions, fun OMPL activities, or any other sort of civil discussion related to OMPL and our competitive players. Please keep it related to the tournament and players, and avoid personal attacks or unrelated one-liners. Your posts don't have to be entirely serious but don't take it too far. This thread will be moderated and posts derailing it will be deleted. Have fun!

DISCLAIMERS:
- Moderation team and OMPL hosts (Isaiah and UT) reserve the right to delete posts and/or infract for any reason
- We reserve the right to tell you to cry more if you don't like what we do
- I just hope all eight teams have fun

Last edited:

UT

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Team Rateris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Appeals + C&C Lead
As a former Godly Gift tour player, current councilmember, and impartial third party, I thought I would put out a list of players I would be looking to draft for Godly Gift if I was a manager. Since it is the newest meta in OMPL, I know a lot of people are less familiar with it, and may not know players to look for. This isn't a power rankings per se, the list isn't in any particular order other than the categories, but for managers unsure what to make of the tier, here is where I would be looking.

Note: I am putting an increased emphasis on players who build for themselves; since Godly Gift has comparatively little hidden information, I consider it one of the easier metas to pilot with team support.

The Undisputed Best

Me lol, too bad I'm hosting.

Proven tour player and Godly Gift builder

Dr. Phd. BJ, beauts, astralydia, Skooma: all would be top-tier players, but are prospective managers, so may not be in the pool at all, and are arguably better used in other metas.

pannuracotta: played back in OMSL where I don't think their record reflected their talent.

Senko: glad to see you around again! Long time player and former councilperson, would probably be a little rusty, but knows the tier well.

Byleth: good at everything, including GG. Will probably play something else, but they would be a good starter here.

Pigeons: if they decide to in, they would immediately be a top-tier starter. They have even been branching out and building non-stall teams!

Kris: tier leader, obviously very knowledgeable and would be good, no idea if they want to play/manage.

Proven tour player or Godly Gift builder

idea: have not played with them a bunch, but know of them by reputation.

lepton: I expect them to play NFE, but a solid player who learned the tier well.

Mossy Sandwich: proven tour player that has picked up the meta and I think would make a solid starter.

longhiep341: plays the tier a lot and creatively. Not sure how it would translate to a tour setting, but being passionate and engaged is a good start.

Wild cards

Instruct: absolute wild card.

Chrome8: not sure how invested they are in the tier as a whole, but they have built a few teams that rolled me, so that counts for something.

mywookiearmy, arkeis, SaveBees: ladder heroes, don't even know if they have Smogon accounts, but might be worth poking around. They have built some good teams and have a lot of experience.

If I left you off and you think you should be on this list, I hate you please just assume my memory is impacted by heavy sleep deprivation. Good luck to all!

UT

Appeals + C&C Lead
I realize I left out Ren from my player rankings. He belongs firmly in the Wild Card camp. On the positive, he's a great player and played Godly Gift in Spotlight with a positive record. On the other hand, he used only one team the whole tour (recplacing Maro-A with Maro-Regular does not count as a new team) and he occasionally says stuff like this:
1647460761012.png

OM

It's a starstruck world
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
With the release of OMPL X, I'm thrilled to announce that BH is doing NFTs now! Buy lovingly crafted tokens of your favorite players starting at $1ETH each! I genuinely want nothing to do with this godforsaken subforum and plead whichever demon lurks in the shadows of Smogon to drag me down with it!

XxSevagxX
View attachment 412802
quojova
View attachment 412801
astralydia
View attachment 412804
Onyx Onix 7
View attachment 412805
xavgb
View attachment 412803
how much for the xavgb one

Icemaster

Few will truly understand.
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
RBTT Champion
Ag is in ompl which is very nice so I will make some power rankings to help managers draft and to remove any ag knowledge advantages Skooma SKOOMA has should he manage. I dont know who's signing up and so I will just rank everyone I rate and who has played recently.

1) BaconEatinAssassin
2) Skarph
3) skooma
4) Fc
5) wsun1
6) Trade
7) Lotiasite
8) Swastik
9) Zayele
10) jerryl
11) crying
11) pdt
12) kate
13) ballfire
14) 80 yrs
15) crunchman
16) cromagnet

Fardin

Tournament Banned
Ag is in ompl which is very nice so I will make some power rankings to help managers draft and to remove any ag knowledge advantages Skooma SKOOMA has should he manage. I dont know who's signing up and so I will just rank everyone I rate and who has played recently.

1) BaconEatinAssassin
2) Skarph
3) skooma
4) Fc
5) wsun1
6) Trade
7) Lotiasite
8) Swastik
9) Zayele
10) jerryl
11) crying
11) pdt
12) kate
13) ballfire
14) 80 yrs
15) crunchman
16) cromagnet
this is a terrible list by the ice master. he never fails with these. I will be doing an actual pr since this is the first time in a while that ag is once again part of ompl (hype)

Fardin

Tournament Banned
Galar ag

1. Fc -one of the best builders in the meta and can play at a really high level. recent ssnl winner and had an amazing record in umpl. top pick for any team.

2. baconeatinassassin - even if he doesnt play it much, can still produce top notch teams and play at the highest level. another top pick

3. PinkDragonTamer - recently went undefeated in umpl. will need support here but he will pilot every team at a really high level. another top pick

4. default0 - very unique teams and high level plays here. kind of an enigma as far as team choices go so his opponents will have a rough time

5. TrueNora - rusty in ag but i believe he can turn things around. excellent builder in general and plays at a super high level. if he adjusts well to the current meta, it will be a top pick.

6. WSun1 - solid builder and player in general. solid buy for anyone

7. Pannuracotta - this might surprise most people. pannu got his first experience with galar back in ag snake and he did exrtemely well for his first big ag team tour. he showed a deep level of understanding in the builder and piloted his builds well. i also know he will try hard here which is always a huge plus. will be a very good player slot + support.

8. Royal1604 - had a pretty poor showing last umpl, and most of them wasnt even the team's fault, but i know royal has a higher ceiling just based off his amazing ag snake run. with a nice team support, he will pilot the teams very well if he gets comfy with em.

9. lotiasite - showed last snake to be a capable builder with some really nice plays. i expect very good things from him this year

10. Skarph - you can slot this dude into anything

11. Monsareeasy/ jerryl309 - kind of a lowkey pick. both got a couple very nice wins in ag snake and showed great promise. might need help with teams but both are nice picks

12. FatFighter2/Situm/Basedwhat/Basedburner/ Ballfire/ Maxomega - just gonna bundle all of the uber players here. not a lot of experience with the ag meta, but they are all extremely good competitively, and maining ss uber will make the transition to ag very easy. only problem would be their commitment due to upl, but asaik they shouldnt really overlap so thats good. will probably need team support/helpers

13. Geysers - solid player but his umpl run was a bit of a letdown with him resorting to just using sub-optimal teams and fishing for mu. if he can find his way again as far as building goes, will do well here.

14. frito/nevelle/ainzcrad/ Some Bob / Tack/ Indercover / Frito135 /Skyolo - all of them are solid picks but kinda unproven in ag galar yet

3. PinkDragonTamer - recently went undefeated in umpl. will need support here but he will pilot every team at a really high level. another top pick
PDT, top tier AG player, clear AG pick, presumably loves the metagame and is motivated af to play, will be enthusiastic and excited to get drafted, will 100% get forced to play BH anyway with no support and hate every minute of it

Ainzcrad

Smile of the Orchid
is a Tiering Contributor
Galar ag

1. Fc -one of the best builders in the meta and can play at a really high level. recent ssnl winner and had an amazing record in umpl. top pick for any team.

2. baconeatinassassin - even if he doesnt play it much, can still produce top notch teams and play at the highest level. another top pick

4. default0 - very unique teams and high level plays here. kind of an enigma as far as team choices go so his opponents will have a rough time

5. TrueNora - rusty in ag but i believe he can turn things around. excellent builder in general and plays at a super high level. if he adjusts well to the current meta, it will be a top pick.

6. WSun1 - solid builder and player in general. solid buy for anyone

7. Pannuracotta - this might surprise most people. pannu got his first experience with galar back in ag snake and he did exrtemely well for his first big ag team tour. he showed a deep level of understanding in the builder and piloted his builds well. i also know he will try hard here which is always a huge plus. will be a very good player slot + support.

8. Royal1604 - had a pretty poor showing last umpl, and most of them wasnt even the team's fault, but i know royal has a higher ceiling just based off his amazing ag snake run. with a nice team support, he will pilot the teams very well if he gets comfy with em.

9. lotiasite - showed last snake to be a capable builder with some really nice plays. i expect very good things from him this year

10. Skarph - you can slot this dude into anything

11. Monsareeasy/ jerryl309 - kind of a lowkey pick. both got a couple very nice wins in ag snake and showed great promise. might need help with teams but both are nice picks

12. FatFighter2/Situm/Basedwhat/Basedburner/ Ballfire/ Maxomega - just gonna bundle all of the uber players here. not a lot of experience with the ag meta, but they are all extremely good competitively, and maining ss uber will make the transition to ag very easy. only problem would be their commitment due to upl, but asaik they shouldnt really overlap so thats good. will probably need team support/helpers

13. Geysers - solid player but his umpl run was a bit of a letdown with him resorting to just using sub-optimal teams and fishing for mu. if he can find his way again as far as building goes, will do well here.

14. frito/nevelle/ainzcrad/ Some Bob / Tack/ Indercover / Frito135 /Skyolo - all of them are solid picks but kinda unproven in ag galar yet
Nice c/p from agpl, highly recommend ur album to those reading this message, have a nice day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)