Tournament OMPL VII - Commencement Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Art by h_n_g_m_n

Welcome to the seventh installment of the Other Metagames Premier League! OMPL is a team-based tournament where managers draft their teams from a pool players and battle for seven weeks trying to qualify for the playoffs, where four of the best face off to determine a winner. This year we will bid farewell to AG and ZU, who are part of the OM Circuit for the last time, moving permanently to UM next season. OMPL is the tournament everyone looks forward to and let's make it one to remember!

E4 Flint and Snaquaza shall be hosting this year.

Details:

1. There are 8 teams in total.
2. The tier lineup this year is:
SM Balanced Hackmons​
SM Mix and Mega​
SM Almost Any Ability​
SM STABmons​
Bo3 SM Anything Goes​
SM ZeroUsed​
3. Standard tournament rules apply.
4. Managers do not play.
5. There are no retains.
6. Each team must draft a minimum of 8 players using 80k credits.
7. Trades may not occur after the conclusion of week 2.
8. Tourbanned users may not participate.

Teams (w/ links to Discord)

This thread serves for all discussion from now up until week 1. Hype up the tournament with your power rankings, predictions, and more!

Reminder of the forum rules:

https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/global-forum-rules.3508364/

Ren

i swore lips were made for lies
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
So I felt like doing a BH PR. Note that all of these people may or may not sign up, and each have their own drawbacks. Won't be ranking managers bc fuck you guys for not playing. Also only doing explanations for A+ to S.

S Rank
highlighter - He's the best BH player right now, period. He's immensely difficult to beat, is incredibly consistent, and to top it all off he can play other metagames as well in AG and AAA, both of which he reached the open finals for. He's a ridiculously solid player who you want on your team if he signs up.
Megazard - unbeatable with greenheroes team. a must have for every team.

S- Rank
E4 Flint - The only reason he's S- is because he's been out of the metagame for a while. He's another immensely solid, hard to beat player who is also incredibly difficult to prep for and incredibly difficult to play against. At his and hl's best, it entirely comes down to who prepped better, but hl has a better niche in that he can support other metas too. Basically, if you can't get hl, Flint is just as good, but a little rusty.

Gurpreet Patel - Yeah it's a little crazy from the guy who said SL42 is not great for all of last year, right? Well he's shown a lot of improvement. He's still not the best, period, but he's immensely consistent across a series of games. His weakness remains the same, though - He tilts very, very easily and plays like a sub 1100s player when he does. However, at his best, he's going to give you a very, very hard time, and to top it all off, he's difficult to prep for because unlike other BH players aside from MAMP, he has a tendency to use immensely unorthodox Pokemon.

Klang - If he signs up, he's probably worth a lot of money. Klang's just a really strong player able to build a variety of playstyles. While stall is his best, he can definitely run other things pretty well.

MAMP - Incredibly strong player. At their best, they can give the other people in S- and S a run for their money. MAMP's drawback is that if their team is weak to something, it will generally autolose to it, but if they prep for a player you'll be very hard pressed to see them losing.

A+ Rank
morogrim - I feel like moro is an S- player, because a lot of what I said in that rank applies to him at his peak. He's one of the guys I took another week to prep for, because he's very scary to prep for. The only disadvantage he has is that he's been out of the metagame for a while.

motherlove - His teams can be weird, but his teams work. He's very good at preparation. Again, he's been out of the metagame for a while, so no telling how he'll fare. He can also provide AAA support, so there's that. Definitely worth strong consideration.

Quantum Tesseract - Prepare the pitchforks and torches, Volk has finally gone mad, right? No. This guy right here had an amazing tour last year, consistently demonstrates a great understanding od the metagame and how to prepare for opponents, can provide support in all the other metagames too (but not all at once cough talonflames cough). Having personally worked with him for prep, I can say he's really good at it.

stresh - I think he's a good builder and a good player. Normally, that'd be enough to get you to A, but what pushes him to A+ is that he's one the first builders to use HO consistently well. He's able to play MnM to an immensely powerful extent, too. If you can get him, get him for MnM.

A Rank
a loser
Anaconja - he's managing ._.
jasprose
Jeran
ShedMiddleFinga

i got too lazy here to rank anyone else except for one other person so if u all want u all can pick up what i have and finish

GL Volkner - I suck don't draft me like seriously I'm the worst buy

Last edited:

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Quantum Tesseract - Prepare the pitchforks and torches, Volk has finally gone mad, right? No. This guy right here had an amazing tour last year, consistently demonstrates a great understanding od the metagame and how to prepare for opponents, can provide support in all the other metagames too (but not all at once cough talonflames cough). Having personally worked with him for prep, I can say he's really good at it.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7balancedhackmons-888756445 :smogthink:

Xayah

San Bwanna
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
So I felt like doing a BH PR. Note that all of these people may or may not sign up, and each have their own drawbacks. Won't be ranking managers bc fuck you guys for not playing. Also only doing explanations for A+ to S.

S Rank
highlighter - He's the best BH player right now, period. He's immensely difficult to beat, is incredibly consistent, and to top it all off he can play other metagames as well in AG and AAA, both of which he reached the open finals for. He's a ridiculously solid player who you want on your team if he signs up.
Megazard - unbeatable with greenheroes team. a must have for every team.

S- Rank
E4 Flint - The only reason he's S- is because he's been out of the metagame for a while. He's another immensely solid, hard to beat player who is also incredibly difficult to prep for and incredibly difficult to play against. At his and hl's best, it entirely comes down to who prepped better, but hl has a better niche in that he can support other metas too. Basically, if you can't get hl, Flint is just as good, but a little rusty.

Gurpreet Patel - Yeah it's a little crazy from the guy who said SL42 is not great for all of last year, right? Well he's shown a lot of improvement. He's still not the best, period, but he's immensely consistent across a series of games. His weakness remains the same, though - He tilts very, very easily and plays like a sub 1100s player when he does. However, at his best, he's going to give you a very, very hard time, and to top it all off, he's difficult to prep for because unlike other BH players aside from MAMP, he has a tendency to use immensely unorthodox Pokemon.

Klang - If he signs up, he's probably worth a lot of money. Klang's just a really strong player able to build a variety of playstyles. While stall is his best, he can definitely run other things pretty well.

MAMP - Incredibly strong player. At their best, they can give the other people in S- and S a run for their money. MAMP's drawback is that if their team is weak to something, it will generally autolose to it, but if they prep for a player you'll be very hard pressed to see them losing.

A+ Rank
morogrim - I feel like moro is an S- player, because a lot of what I said in that rank applies to him at his peak. He's one of the guys I took another week to prep for, because he's very scary to prep for. The only disadvantage he has is that he's been out of the metagame for a while.

motherlove - His teams can be weird, but his teams work. He's very good at preparation. Again, he's been out of the metagame for a while, so no telling how he'll fare. He can also provide AAA support, so there's that. Definitely worth strong consideration.

stresh - I think he's a good builder and a good player. Normally, that'd be enough to get you to A, but what pushes him to A+ is that he's one the first builders to use HO consistently well. He's able to play MnM to an immensely powerful extent, too. If you can get him, get him for MnM.

A Rank
a loser
Anaconja - he's managing ._.
jasprose
Jeran
ShedMiddleFinga

i got too lazy here to rank anyone else except for one other person so if u all want u all can pick up what i have and finish

GL Volkner - I suck don't draft me like seriously I'm the worst buy
Imagine not including me, your own tutee and certified greatest BH player of all time.

This is a joke I suck do not draft me for BH. Draft me for ZU though I’m goat there

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)