Project OM Mashup Megathread

Clas

My death was... greatly exaggerated
is a Tiering Contributor
Would it be worth having separate threads for each mashup? This thread has been busy lately with PokeAAAbilities getting a ladder, but that's not the only thing this thread is about.
usually LCOTM has its own thread, and while i do think that there should be a separate thread the increased activity here thanks to PokeAAA is in some ways better.

ommotm when

My guess would be a set up sweeper, being immune to Intimidate, sticky web, burn, paralysis, and sleep is valuable, although which Grass type to choose isn’t so to answer as Kartana/Zarude are weak to Triage Drain Punch, and Tapu Bulu needs Triage for Horn Leech.
The fact that Triage has to be brought up twice is so frustrating. In that regard, though, I guess Decidueye or Dhelmise would be the most immediate answers? Tsareena came to mind as well, but it doesn’t have anything to boost its Attack (aside from Acupressure, technically.)

In general, though, maybe something like Bellossom would work? It has decent bulk, Quiver Dance and Swords Dance, several means of recovery and some decent coverage. Chlorophyll and Growth would also make it pretty useful on sun teams. For a more offensive Pokémon with worse coverage, you could go with Lilligant.

Triage also needs to go, Its being used more and more and its extremely busted, Fr ban this thing quick, its horrifically busted. Any amount of setup with Triage and its an instant sweep, you literally can't do anything against it. +3 Priority means you can't do anything to out priority it. Ban Triage.

EDIT: I can see that yeah, Talonflame isn't that oppressive, so probably doesn't need a ban perhaps, but Triage is a must, the fact that they made a post saying it would be unhealthy if it was banned is mind boggling. If an opponent sets up at all with triage, you are 100% screwed. I've seen people get swept after 2 boosts and to hear that it would be unhealthy to ban it blows my mind.

The fact that Triage has to be brought up twice is so frustrating. In that regard, though, I guess Decidueye or Dhelmise would be the most immediate answers? Tsareena came to mind as well, but it doesn’t have anything to boost its Attack (aside from Acupressure, technically.)

In general, though, maybe something like Bellossom would work? It has decent bulk, Quiver Dance and Swords Dance, several means of recovery and some decent coverage. Chlorophyll and Growth would also make it pretty useful on sun teams. For a more offensive Pokémon with worse coverage, you could go with Lilligant.
:alakazam:they would like to say: psychic surge blocks it:alakazam:

Just a set I've been having some fun with in Pokébilities AAA

:ss/Exploud:
Exploud @ Choice Specs
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Boomburst
- Fire Blast
- Focus Blast
- Ice Beam

Scrappy boomburst is taken to a new level with Adaptability further booting its power. The set is mostly what you'd expect, Focus Blast to OHKO instead of 2HKO'ing Heatran, Fire blast to do the same to Corviknight, and ice beam to hit soundproof Kommo-o. He's put in a lot of work on my trick room squad, and smashing things apart with boomburst is always fun. He also has good enough bulk to take almost any one hit, which can be useful.

Last edited:

The Dragon Master

So you have chosen, Death
is a Pre-Contributor
400TH POST MOMENT
Ive usually never done anything special for my 100th 200th post etc, but this time, especially with TSAAA SSNL winding down, I decided to make a beeg OMM post with my teams fr a lot of OMMs and some thots of the metas. Click on the sprites for teams/sets.

As for introductions, you know who I am (i think). Advt on PS, The Dragon Master everywhere else. I started playing competitive mons loong back, (the Advt account was registered in 2017), and played on and off until about the time Isle of Armor released. It was around that time that I registered my smogon account. I made some posts(not exactly of the highest quality) in Monotype, Ubers, and OU, before eventually ending up in National Dex. I was an ND QC member for a while and carried the forum alongside adem (has to l2p) and pannuracotta (twelve). I eventually lost interest in ND and started being kinda lazy on QC checks and eventually left, and got more in to OMs. My OMM journey started around the same time a lot of people's journey did, ie when STAAAB got a ladder. I loved the incredible power level of Staaab back then and so I stayed, bringing us to present day.

TSAAA

:Ss/silvally-dragon: :ss/avalugg: :ss/dhelmise:
This is easily the longest lols cuz i played it a lot.

I think TSAAA is in a pretty good spot rn, with a fair no of mons being viable. However, i feel that in some ways it is hard to deviate frm the tried and true defensive mons like dragon vally TABLEEEE etc, however idt this is an inherently unhealthy thing or anything. My thoughts on some of the mons:

:ss/silvally-dragon:
U might be thinking im gonna talk about the normal vest vally, ur wrong.
Im actually gonna talk about specs dmaw vally:
Silvally-Dragon @ Choice Specs
Ability: Dragon's Maw
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- U-turn
- Flamethrower
- Flash Cannon
This mon can hit truly ridiculous damage values, just look at these calcs:

252+ SpA Choice Specs Dragon's Maw Silvally-Dragon Draco Meteor over 2 turns vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Metagross: 372-439 (102.1 - 120.6%) -- guaranteed KO in 2 turns after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Choice Specs Dragon's Maw Silvally-Dragon Draco Meteor over 2 turns vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Silvally-Electric: 315-371 (79.9 - 94.1%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
This mon basically nukes everything that isn't a specially defensive steel type or a fairy, which is why i paired it up with SFLO Lazzle. It excels at luring these in and u turn out to smth like those 2. One of its biggest issues is species clause lolz, using this means u can't use vest vally.

:ss/salazzle:
Salazzle (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Sludge Wave
- Nasty Plot
- Corrosive Gas
This mon has exactly no true checks. It has a pretty good speed tier, and access to Corrosive Gas is HUGE. Sludge wave/Fire blast can OHKO every single special wall in the meta besides bad stuff like blobs and Hooh, which u can GAS.

+2 252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Salazzle Sludge Wave vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Lanturn: 364-429 (80.1 - 94.4%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

+2 252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Salazzle Sludge Wave vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Silvally-Dragon: 417-491 (105.8 - 124.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Ya, this mon is strong. It also forces a fair amount of stuff like avalugg and dhelmise, so it gets enough opportunities to wreak havoc. Its main weakness is rocks, but this is a very manageable issue.
(U can use knock too it realistically dosent matter)

:SS/AVALUGG:
Avalugg @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Dauntless Shield
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Avalanche
- Body Press
- Iron Defense / Rapid Spin
- Recover
Ok there was no way I was making an OMM post without mentioning THE TABLE lol, this mon is goated, lives every physical attack in the sun and hits back with strong avalanches and Body Presses. With ID u become a more sturdy answer to physical attackers like dhelmise, but rapid spin compresses hazard removal. Never ever drop avalanche btw, u don't want to be setup fodder for dhelmise.
:Ss/centiskorch:
Centiskorch @ Heavy-Duty Boots / Life Orb
Ability: Water Absorb / Magic Guard
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Fire Lash
- Coil
- Power Whip

Centiskorch is a nice mon, it being a physical fire type is really nice in this meta cuz most people use physical checks that can't check them, like Avalugg. The combination of Coil + Fire Lash + Knock Off means this mon can really harrass opposing teams extremely well, combined with good natural bulk and a decent defensive typing. Power Whip is the best coverage, pressuring fat waters and also annoying regirock if u can get it low. The ability and item slot depends on your team, water absorb makes u a sturdy check to water types, while MG let's u use LO while giving an immunity to toxic.

:ss/braviary:

Braviary (M) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Brave Bird
- U-turn
- Roost
- Defog

So I wanted to make a team without Avalugg, and so settled on this mon. Its kinda similar to table in the sense that it's a Blanket Phys check that has Recovery and hazard control, but while avalugg has great Offensive pressure due to avalanche + Body press, this mon has u turn and intimidate. Notably, having acces to Intimidate+ a ghost immunity means it's a great way of dancing around the demon that is Alola wak TR, which Avalugg has a harder time doing. Lugg is probably still better, but this mon ain't bad at all.

Teams

1. :vikavolt: :Diancie: :cursola: :trevenant: :Beheeyem: :marowak-alola:

Riceroom.
2. :silvally-dragon: :salazzle: :yveltal: :lanturn: :braviary: :groudon:
The team, the myth, the legend. I spammed different variations of this team for basically the entirety of the seasonal, and I'm pretty sure it won all but 2 of the games (or 1 i dont remember), with a fairly good matchup spread across the board. Salazzle+ dragon vally is an incredibly broken Offensive core that can tear through defensive cores easily. Yveltal is mostly there to soft check shifu and psychics, which can be a troublesome for the defensive core. Lanturn is the blanket special check of the team, used cuz species clause sucks. Brav as outlined earlier is the blanket physical check, while groudon sets rocks and is a ground type, and helps pivot around physical attackers.

3. :urshifu: :inteleon: :centiskorch: :avalugg: :registeel: :ho-oh:
This is another BO built around the core of urshifu + inteleon, inteleon forces very specific Pokemon i e fat AVs and water absorbs, and shifu happens to eat most if not all of them for breakfast with its shiny sniper wicked blows. In return, shifu can u turn on its checks, for inteleon to take good advantage of. Centipede there cuz it's water absorb and also because it is a massive pain for any opposing team to swap into, and notably can often knock off and chip AV vally for inteleon. Avalugg does avalugg things, regi does regi things, and Hooh fogs, letting table run ID and checks Salazzle.

4. :dhelmise: :espeon: :Passimian: :silvally-dragon: :avalugg: :metagross:
This is the Nth variation of the very first TSAAA team i built, and although it's fairly outdated, its still good enough. Dhelmise and Espeon are the breakers, with passimiam being speed control supreme. The combination of espeon and scarf monke gives this team the ability to revenge almost every runaway threat If need be. Silvally + Avalugg is a great defensive core, with metagross giving rocks and offensive pressure, while at the same time helping with psychic types. Its mostly a relic of espeon meta tbh, it should be something else.

5. :gallade: :dhelmise: :centiskorch: :aromatisse: :ho-oh: :registeel:
This is built around gallade. TC LO gallade hits ridiculously hard and can break mostly everything besides a select few mons in fairy types and pallosand. Dhelmise provides speed control with its glide, and appreciates gallade potentially denting something like Braviary. Centiskorch is here to annoy stuff like the aforementioned pallosand while giving water absorb. Aromatisse is here cuz i was afraid longheip would being fighting types like gallade and shifu, in our finals match. Hooh fogs and checks Salazzle. Regi checks psychic types, and is itemless with iron defense + iron head for dhelmise.

6. :ho-oh: :groudon: :golisopod: :silvally-dragon: :braviary: :registeel:
I built this around MGLO Hooh, who can seriously annoy physical walls with burn and it's recoil free brave birds. Bonus points, it also has perfect coverage with stabs+EQ. Groudon was added cuz it can abuse rock types which hooh struggles against. Golis gives speed control, and appreciates hooh harrasing physical walls. But honestly half the reason I used it is cus it can soft check fighters. Offensive Silvally was used cuz this team has plenty of stuff to abuse steels and it can nuke people really hard with dracos. Braviary is the physical wall and defogger, while regi checks psychics and gives rocks. Overall this is the most offensive of the bunch, with some MUs like deso land and prim sea being win-before-they-break-your-soft-checks, which isn't very hard.

I do have some other TSAAA teams but they arent very good so I'm not putting them here.

CAAAMO

Unfortunately this meta is dead now which is sad, as it is very fun! Also for some reason no-ones announced mew ban yet so ill announce it, mew got banned by virtue of its fire flying MGLO DD set, which can shred entire teams on a moments notice, with its only real checks being rock types with a rock move (rock is a pretty ass defensive typing so u usually dont want rock as ur camo type), and an avalugg with rock slide. Its moves being high BP, and very strong means even something like prank pex can be pp stalled. Oh, also, it has a great typing and infinite longevity.

:hydreigon: :Garchomp: :azelf: :toxapex: :jirachi: :avalugg:
Pretty basic CAAAMO BO team, break with ur main breakers of regen LO Garchomp and Hydreigon (who hits like a truck and a half btw), with scarf azelf being there to command speed tiers, while Table and rachi are the primary defensive blanket checks, with Toxapex rounding the core off and helping against random cheese with prank haze. The typing of Avalugg has changed quite a bit, but i think dark fighting dauntless is best, as that lets u hit ghosts while still having a very strong body press, although no iron defense is sad.

STAB N MEGA

Now onto stab n mega, i haven't played this as much as TSAAA so this section won't be as big

:landorus: :regieleki: :Blissey: :corviknight: :toxapex: :Garchomp:

stick-bug.gif

Congratulations, u just got stickbugged.

Initially this was going to be an actual team but with stab n mega ssnl going on i don't want to share my teams so get rekt. I will team dump after ssnl tho.

Haha, Angry, Sad, or Wow react this post if u got stickbugged or rickrolled.

Now i want to talk about a few mons specifically:

:Ss/tapu-lele: :Diancite:
Tapu Lele @ Diancite
Ability: Psychic Surge
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psystrike
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast

This mon is really good. Lele hits so insanely hard, and it's otherwise mediocre speed tier can be patches up with Diancite. I think Diancite is better on it cuz Diancite already hits hard enough, and the extra speed outspeeding stuff like Lucarionite terrak, Garchomp etc is super valuable + being immune to status is nice too. However, Lucarionite does give it better bulk and power. What makes tapu lele really good, is its access to calm mind. Non CM sets are walled pretty hard by magearna and Blissey (if Blissey has already mega evolved), but CM sets can beat both defensive magearna lacking a steel move not named doom desire(as it only hits 2 turns later) as well as Blissey.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8mixandmega-1508182064
This is a replay that perfectly illustrates Tapu Lele's power. Despite my opponent having both magearna and Blissey, tapu lele is able to break through with ease, smashing open the defensive core and cleaning up as well. For all of these reasons, nom it to A.
Btw Expanding force is an unmove, its only useful for as long as psy terrain is active, and will still do nothing against the mons that swap into it, like magearna, blissey, and solgaleo. The latter is admittedly an annoyance, but is pressured by focus blast and u have 5 teammates so :blobshrug:

:ss/Landorus: :manectite:
Landorus (M) @ Manectite
Ability: Sand Force
Impish Nature
- Earth Power
- U-turn
- Shore Up
- Defog / Stealth Rock

When I was building for TPP, i thought, "wouldn't it be real nice if there was a Lando t in here" and since the real Lando T was restricted(and I'm not using stoneless Lando t), i decided on this. Basically, its a ground type/physical blanket check that is ground immune, and, crucially, has u turn (and also defog). These factors give it a solid enough niche in my opinion, and it deserves a place among its viable stones.

AGSP

Now we must talk about matchup fish: the meta. First of all, we must all curse Byleth for ruining the lives of innocent civilians with that one infamous stall team.

Anyways, this meta manages to be quite fun despite games being decided almost entirely on matchup.

:marshadow: :excadrill: :diggersby: :gothitelle: :medicham: :blaziken:
This team is fairy consistent, although it has basically a 0-100 MU vs byleth stall cuz it's evil. Mold breaker is there cuz shedinja and stuff like that, and more importantly exca gives rapid spin which is essential here because keeping rocks off is absolutely mandatory to keep sashes intact. Stag is here because A) it neutralizes opposing stag and B) it can seriously annoy teams with no stag. The goth set is demonic just incase I can catch unsuspecting greedy players off guard. Medi and diggersby obviously give pure power and huge power, and have strong priority. Blaziken is here cuz speed boost helps vs psychic terrain teams. Marshadow is the main cleaner, and technician really helps all my priority moves. Generally u wanna lead with stag, proc huge power and pure power and speed boost, with marsh usually functioning as a cleaner. U need to keep ur sashes intact, because sashes are an important wincon in many games, especially against psychic terrain.

ULTRA MIX

Lastly, we have the most chaotic mashup ever. Ultra mix is really fun cuz of how Many brokens there are, so from my experience, bulky offense tends to just hang on for as long as possible vs those brokens, hopefully allowing your own brokens to win. This is the same reason why I think semi stall/fat is so hard to use in this metagame, because there are sooo many breakers u need to handle, and u simply won't hold on for long enough.

Here are some good defensive Pokemon to use in your bulky offense team with some short ish explanations (click on sprites for sets). Almost all of these can be broken through by the offensive Pokemon they check, but this is simply the nature of ultra mix. Besides, they will still at the least severely annoy them, by stopping them from doing what they want to do (click stab moves) or make them recoil from their Super Effective moves.

:Ss/Spheal: (Water/Fairy)
Spheal @ Sablenite / Manectite / literally whatever
Relaxed Nature
- Scald
- Strange Steam
- Shore Up
- Stealth Rock / Spikes

It checks fire and water types like Pichu, Vibrava and wishiwashi while giving hazards, which is indespensible for Bulky offense. The choice of mega stone largely depends on which one is available, with sablenite being the first choice. One must be careful when facing whimsur though, you should try to mega evolve early so as to take its moves more easily.

:Ss/blissey: (Normal/Psychic)
Blissey (F) @ Sablenite / Ampharosite
EVs: 252 Def / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Bold Nature
- Soft-Boiled
- Teleport
- Haze
- Toxic

Chansey 2.0 except this one dosent do nearly as well vs physical attackers. U absolutely need toxic, or else this will happen to u. This makes normal/Psychic the best typing for it, cuz that lets u use soft boiled/teleport/haze/toxic. It also comes with the side benifit of resisting psyshock. Again, choice of mega stone depends on your team, with Sablenite being the first choice.

:Ss/coalossal: (Fire/Steel)
Coalossal @ Latiasite
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Overheat
- Stealth Rock / Roar
- Recover

With latiasite this is a great typing and it checks stuff like kadabra(aura dosent 2hko from full), Butterfree and soft checks monke with roar. Can also run rocks/spin if u don't need the roar to beat oranguru and shit like that. It can run a lot of other typings like rock ground with Tyranitarite, (which does significantly better against oranguru and is generally fatter) if you need that particular typing for your team. Other typings are also very viable, but I haven't tried them myself.

:Ss/Dartrix: (Dragon/Fairy)
Dartrix @ Sablenite / Manectite
Relaxed Nature
- Dragon Darts
- Dazzling Gleam
- Rapid Spin
- Recover

Similar to spheal, in the sense that it checks fire and water types like Pichu, Vibrava and Wishiwashi, however, it is much less vulnerable to the coverage they can run, like wood hammer or Volt tackle. It provides hazard control with rapid spin, instead of the hazard setting spheal provides. However, it cannot check grounds cuz it has no stab move to hit them with, so it's a bit of a give and take there.

I'll give yall one UM team, the my version of the current BO sample:

:Vibrava: :pichu: :oranguru: :spheal: :Blissey: :rhyperior:

So i took the sample and made it fire spam. Pichu + vibrava is a great core that can Overwhelm most if not all fire checks through sheer fire power, and the ones u can't do that to like spheal u can volt tackle to death. Oranguru was added to abuse the physically defensive fire checks, which the other 2 lure in. Spheal checks fires and waters, Blissey is the blanket special check, and rhyperior gives hazard control, and a secondary way of checking stuff like physical fires. Its water absorb to check waters pre Mega evolution.

And that's it for the main part of the post! No specific shoutouts cuz I know I will miss someone and hate myself for it. DuckeryDoodle my post is better.

Before u bad react me please read the entire post.

Ducky

Aw Phooey
is a Contributor to Smogon
400TH POST MOMENT
Ive usually never done anything special for my 100th 200th post etc, but this time, especially with TSAAA SSNL winding down, I decided to make a beeg OMM post with my teams fr a lot of OMMs and some thots of the metas. Click on the sprites for teams/sets.

As for introductions, you know who I am (i think). Advt on PS, The Dragon Master everywhere else. I started playing competitive mons loong back, (the Advt account was registered in 2017), and played on and off until about the time Isle of Armor released. It was around that time that I registered my smogon account. I made some posts(not exactly of the highest quality) in Monotype, Ubers, and OU, before eventually ending up in National Dex. I was an ND QC member for a while and carried the forum alongside adem (has to l2p) and pannuracotta (twelve). I eventually lost interest in ND and started being kinda lazy on QC checks and eventually left, and got more in to OMs. My OMM journey started around the same time a lot of people's journey did, ie when STAAAB got a ladder. I loved the incredible power level of Staaab back then and so I stayed, bringing us to present day.

TSAAA

:Ss/silvally-dragon: :ss/avalugg: :ss/dhelmise:
This is easily the longest lols cuz i played it a lot.

I think TSAAA is in a pretty good spot rn, with a fair no of mons being viable. However, i feel that in some ways it is hard to deviate frm the tried and true defensive mons like dragon vally TABLEEEE etc, however idt this is an inherently unhealthy thing or anything. My thoughts on some of the mons:

:ss/silvally-dragon:
U might be thinking im gonna talk about the normal vest vally, ur wrong.
Im actually gonna talk about specs dmaw vally:
Silvally-Dragon @ Choice Specs
Ability: Dragon's Maw
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- U-turn
- Flamethrower
- Flash Cannon
This mon can hit truly ridiculous damage values, just look at these calcs:

252+ SpA Choice Specs Dragon's Maw Silvally-Dragon Draco Meteor over 2 turns vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Metagross: 372-439 (102.1 - 120.6%) -- guaranteed KO in 2 turns after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Choice Specs Dragon's Maw Silvally-Dragon Draco Meteor over 2 turns vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Silvally-Electric: 315-371 (79.9 - 94.1%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
This mon basically nukes everything that isn't a specially defensive steel type or a fairy, which is why i paired it up with SFLO Lazzle. It excels at luring these in and u turn out to smth like those 2. One of its biggest issues is species clause lolz, using this means u can't use vest vally.

:ss/salazzle:
Salazzle (F) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Sludge Wave
- Nasty Plot
- Corrosive Gas
This mon has exactly no true checks. It has a pretty good speed tier, and access to Corrosive Gas is HUGE. Sludge wave/Fire blast can OHKO every single special wall in the meta besides bad stuff like blobs and Hooh, which u can GAS.

+2 252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Salazzle Sludge Wave vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Lanturn: 364-429 (80.1 - 94.4%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

+2 252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Salazzle Sludge Wave vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Silvally-Dragon: 417-491 (105.8 - 124.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Ya, this mon is strong. It also forces a fair amount of stuff like avalugg and dhelmise, so it gets enough opportunities to wreak havoc. Its main weakness is rocks, but this is a very manageable issue.
(U can use knock too it realistically dosent matter)

:SS/AVALUGG:
Avalugg @ Heavy-Duty Boots
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Avalanche
- Body Press
- Iron Defense / Rapid Spin
- Recover
Ok there was no way I was making an OMM post without mentioning THE TABLE lol, this mon is goated, lives every physical attack in the sun and hits back with strong avalanches and Body Presses. With ID u become a more sturdy answer to physical attackers like dhelmise, but rapid spin compresses hazard removal. Never ever drop avalanche btw, u don't want to be setup fodder for dhelmise.
:Ss/centiskorch:
Centiskorch @ Heavy-Duty Boots / Life Orb
Ability: Water Absorb / Magic Guard
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Fire Lash
- Coil
- Power Whip

Centiskorch is a nice mon, it being a physical fire type is really nice in this meta cuz most people use physical checks that can't check them, like Avalugg. The combination of Coil + Fire Lash + Knock Off means this mon can really harrass opposing teams extremely well, combined with good natural bulk and a decent defensive typing. Power Whip is the best coverage, pressuring fat waters and also annoying regirock if u can get it low. The ability and item slot depends on your team, water absorb makes u a sturdy check to water types, while MG let's u use LO while giving an immunity to toxic.

:ss/braviary:

Braviary (M) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Relaxed Nature
- Brave Bird
- U-turn
- Roost
- Defog

So I wanted to make a team without Avalugg, and so settled on this mon. Its kinda similar to table in the sense that it's a Blanket Phys check that has Recovery and hazard control, but while avalugg has great Offensive pressure due to avalanche + Body press, this mon has u turn and intimidate. Notably, having acces to Intimidate+ a ghost immunity means it's a great way of dancing around the demon that is Alola wak TR, which Avalugg has a harder time doing. Lugg is probably still better, but this mon ain't bad at all.

Teams

1. :vikavolt: :Diancie: :cursola: :trevenant: :Beheeyem: :marowak-alola:

Riceroom.
2. :silvally-dragon: :salazzle: :yveltal: :lanturn: :braviary: :groudon:
The team, the myth, the legend. I spammed different variations of this team for basically the entirety of the seasonal, and I'm pretty sure it won all but 2 of the games (or 1 i dont remember), with a fairly good matchup spread across the board. Salazzle+ dragon vally is an incredibly broken Offensive core that can tear through defensive cores easily. Yveltal is mostly there to soft check shifu and psychics, which can be a troublesome for the defensive core. Lanturn is the blanket special check of the team, used cuz species clause sucks. Brav as outlined earlier is the blanket physical check, while groudon sets rocks and is a ground type, and helps pivot around physical attackers.

3. :urshifu: :inteleon: :centiskorch: :avalugg: :registeel: :ho-oh:
This is another BO built around the core of urshifu + inteleon, inteleon forces very specific Pokemon i e fat AVs and water absorbs, and shifu happens to eat most if not all of them for breakfast with its shiny sniper wicked blows. In return, shifu can u turn on its checks, for inteleon to take good advantage of. Centipede there cuz it's water absorb and also because it is a massive pain for any opposing team to swap into, and notably can often knock off and chip AV vally for inteleon. Avalugg does avalugg things, regi does regi things, and Hooh fogs, letting table run ID and checks Salazzle.

4. :dhelmise: :espeon: :Passimian: :silvally-dragon: :avalugg: :metagross:
This is the Nth variation of the very first TSAAA team i built, and although it's fairly outdated, its still good enough. Dhelmise and Espeon are the breakers, with passimiam being speed control supreme. The combination of espeon and scarf monke gives this team the ability to revenge almost every runaway threat If need be. Silvally + Avalugg is a great defensive core, with metagross giving rocks and offensive pressure, while at the same time helping with psychic types. Its mostly a relic of espeon meta tbh, it should be something else.

5. :gallade: :dhelmise: :centiskorch: :aromatisse: :ho-oh: :registeel:
This is built around gallade. TC LO gallade hits ridiculously hard and can break mostly everything besides a select few mons in fairy types and pallosand. Dhelmise provides speed control with its glide, and appreciates gallade potentially denting something like Braviary. Centiskorch is here to annoy stuff like the aforementioned pallosand while giving water absorb. Aromatisse is here cuz i was afraid longheip would being fighting types like gallade and shifu, in our finals match. Hooh fogs and checks Salazzle. Regi checks psychic types, and is itemless with iron defense + iron head for dhelmise.

6. :ho-oh: :groudon: :golisopod: :silvally-dragon: :braviary: :registeel:
I built this around MGLO Hooh, who can seriously annoy physical walls with burn and it's recoil free brave birds. Bonus points, it also has perfect coverage with stabs+EQ. Groudon was added cuz it can abuse rock types which hooh struggles against. Golis gives speed control, and appreciates hooh harrasing physical walls. But honestly half the reason I used it is cus it can soft check fighters. Offensive Silvally was used cuz this team has plenty of stuff to abuse steels and it can nuke people really hard with dracos. Braviary is the physical wall and defogger, while regi checks psychics and gives rocks. Overall this is the most offensive of the bunch, with some MUs like deso land and prim sea being win-before-they-break-your-soft-checks, which isn't very hard.

I do have some other TSAAA teams but they arent very good so I'm not putting them here.

CAAAMO

Unfortunately this meta is dead now which is sad, as it is very fun! Also for some reason no-ones announced mew ban yet so ill announce it, mew got banned by virtue of its fire flying MGLO DD set, which can shred entire teams on a moments notice, with its only real checks being rock types with a rock move (rock is a pretty ass defensive typing so u usually dont want rock as ur camo type), and an avalugg with rock slide. Its moves being high BP, and very strong means even something like prank pex can be pp stalled. Oh, also, it has a great typing and infinite longevity.

:hydreigon: :Garchomp: :azelf: :toxapex: :jirachi: :avalugg:
Pretty basic CAAAMO BO team, break with ur main breakers of regen LO Garchomp and Hydreigon (who hits like a truck and a half btw), with scarf azelf being there to command speed tiers, while Table and rachi are the primary defensive blanket checks, with Toxapex rounding the core off and helping against random cheese with prank haze. The typing of Avalugg has changed quite a bit, but i think dark fighting dauntless is best, as that lets u hit ghosts while still having a very strong body press, although no iron defense is sad.

STAB N MEGA

Now onto stab n mega, i haven't played this as much as TSAAA so this section won't be as big

:landorus: :regieleki: :Blissey: :corviknight: :toxapex: :Garchomp:

View attachment 423620
Congratulations, u just got stickbugged.

Initially this was going to be an actual team but with stab n mega ssnl going on i don't want to share my teams so get rekt. I will team dump after ssnl tho.

Haha, Angry, Sad, or Wow react this post if u got stickbugged or rickrolled.

Now i want to talk about a few mons specifically:

:Ss/tapu-lele: :Diancite:
Tapu Lele @ Diancite
Ability: Psychic Surge
Timid Nature
- Psystrike
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast

This mon is really good. Lele hits so insanely hard, and it's otherwise mediocre speed tier can be patches up with Diancite. I think Diancite is better on it cuz Diancite already hits hard enough, and the extra speed outspeeding stuff like Lucarionite terrak, Garchomp etc is super valuable + being immune to status is nice too. However, Lucarionite does give it better bulk and power. What makes tapu lele really good, is its access to calm mind. Non CM sets are walled pretty hard by magearna and Blissey (if Blissey has already mega evolved), but CM sets can beat both defensive magearna lacking a steel move not named doom desire(as it only hits 2 turns later) as well as Blissey.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8mixandmega-1508182064
This is a replay that perfectly illustrates Tapu Lele's power. Despite my opponent having both magearna and Blissey, tapu lele is able to break through with ease, smashing open the defensive core and cleaning up as well. For all of these reasons, nom it to A.
Btw Expanding force is an unmove, its only useful for as long as psy terrain is active, and will still do nothing against the mons that swap into it, like magearna, blissey, and solgaleo. The latter is admittedly an annoyance, but is pressured by focus blast and u have 5 teammates so :blobshrug:

:ss/Landorus: :manectite:
Landorus (M) @ Manectite
Ability: Sand Force
Impish Nature
- Earth Power
- U-turn
- Shore Up
- Defog / Stealth Rock

When I was building for TPP, i thought, "wouldn't it be real nice if there was a Lando t in here" and since the real Lando T was restricted(and I'm not using stoneless Lando t), i decided on this. Basically, its a ground type/physical blanket check that is ground immune, and, crucially, has u turn (and also defog). These factors give it a solid enough niche in my opinion, and it deserves a place among its viable stones.

AGSP

Now we must talk about matchup fish: the meta. First of all, we must all curse Byleth for ruining the lives of innocent civilians with that one infamous stall team.

Anyways, this meta manages to be quite fun despite games being decided almost entirely on matchup.

:marshadow: :excadrill: :diggersby: :gothitelle: :medicham: :blaziken:
This team is fairy consistent, although it has basically a 0-100 MU vs byleth stall cuz it's evil. Mold breaker is there cuz shedinja and stuff like that, and more importantly exca gives rapid spin which is essential here because keeping rocks off is absolutely mandatory to keep sashes intact. Stag is here because A) it neutralizes opposing stag and B) it can seriously annoy teams with no stag. The goth set is demonic just incase I can catch unsuspecting greedy players off guard. Medi and diggersby obviously give pure power and huge power, and have strong priority. Blaziken is here cuz speed boost helps vs psychic terrain teams. Marshadow is the main cleaner, and technician really helps all my priority moves. Generally u wanna lead with stag, proc huge power and pure power and speed boost, with marsh usually functioning as a cleaner. U need to keep ur sashes intact, because sashes are an important wincon in many games, especially against psychic terrain.

ULTRA MIX

Lastly, we have the most chaotic mashup ever. Ultra mix is really fun cuz of how Many brokens there are, so from my experience, bulky offense tends to just hang on for as long as possible vs those brokens, hopefully allowing your own brokens to win. This is the same reason why I think semi stall/fat is so hard to use in this metagame, because there are sooo many breakers u need to handle, and u simply won't hold on for long enough.

Here are some good defensive Pokemon to use in your bulky offense team with some short ish explanations (click on sprites for sets). Almost all of these can be broken through by the offensive Pokemon they check, but this is simply the nature of ultra mix. Besides, they will still at the least severely annoy them, by stopping them from doing what they want to do (click stab moves) or make them recoil from their Super Effective moves.

:Ss/Spheal: (Water/Fairy)
Spheal @ Sablenite / Manectite / literally whatever
Relaxed Nature
- Scald
- Strange Steam
- Shore Up
- Stealth Rock / Spikes

It checks fire and water types like Pichu, Vibrava and wishiwashi while giving hazards, which is indespensible for Bulky offense. The choice of mega stone largely depends on which one is available, with sablenite being the first choice. One must be careful when facing whimsur though, you should try to mega evolve early so as to take its moves more easily.

:Ss/blissey: (Normal/Psychic)
Blissey (F) @ Sablenite / Ampharosite
EVs: 252 Def / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Bold Nature
- Soft-Boiled
- Teleport
- Haze
- Toxic

Chansey 2.0 except this one dosent do nearly as well vs physical attackers. U absolutely need toxic, or else this will happen to u. This makes normal/Psychic the best typing for it, cuz that lets u use soft boiled/teleport/haze/toxic. It also comes with the side benifit of resisting psyshock. Again, choice of mega stone depends on your team, with Sablenite being the first choice.

:Ss/coalossal: (Fire/Steel)
Coalossal @ Latiasite
Relaxed Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Overheat
- Stealth Rock / Roar
- Recover

With latiasite this is a great typing and it checks stuff like kadabra(aura dosent 2hko from full), Butterfree and soft checks monke with roar. Can also run rocks/spin if u don't need the roar to beat oranguru and shit like that. It can run a lot of other typings like rock ground with Tyranitarite, (which does significantly better against oranguru and is generally fatter) if you need that particular typing for your team. Other typings are also very viable, but I haven't tried them myself.

:Ss/Dartrix: (Dragon/Fairy)
Dartrix @ Sablenite / Manectite
Relaxed Nature
- Dragon Darts
- Dazzling Gleam
- Rapid Spin
- Recover

Similar to spheal, in the sense that it checks fire and water types like Pichu, Vibrava and Wishiwashi, however, it is much less vulnerable to the coverage they can run, like wood hammer or Volt tackle. It provides hazard control with rapid spin, instead of the hazard setting spheal provides. However, it cannot check grounds cuz it has no stab move to hit them with, so it's a bit of a give and take there.

I'll give yall one UM team, the my version of the current BO sample:

:Vibrava: :pichu: :oranguru: :spheal: :Blissey: :rhyperior:

So i took the sample and made it fire spam. Pichu + vibrava is a great core that can Overwhelm most if not all fire checks through sheer fire power, and the ones u can't do that to like spheal u can volt tackle to death. Oranguru was added to abuse the physically defensive fire checks, which the other 2 lure in. Spheal checks fires and waters, Blissey is the blanket special check, and rhyperior gives hazard control, and a secondary way of checking stuff like physical fires. Its water absorb to check waters pre Mega evolution.

And that's it for the main part of the post! No specific shoutouts cuz I know I will miss someone and hate myself for it. DuckeryDoodle my post is better.

Before u bad react me please read the entire post.
Your post is not better, mine had jokes, duck pictures, more OMMs, and was longer. Hold the L In reality pretty cool post though, I will be spending time cteaming the tsaaa teams you posted.

Polteageist @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Sturdy
Modest Nature
- Shell Smash
- Strength Sap
- Stored Power
- Shadow Ball

Pretty fun to use, strength sap + cursed body + weak armor make it so physical attackers are at risk of being outsped or if they're choiced, unable to attack. Only problem is dark types but shadow ball after a shell smash or two can usually do significant damage. https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8pokebilitiesaaa-1569197216 good showing of its power

Gyarados @ Life Orb
Ability: Motor Drive
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Power Whip

Moxie and Motor Drive give a free dragon dance against regieleki, it can survive 2 attacks from most of them if they don't go for electric attack so you can ddance and then kill it.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8pokebilitiesaaa-1569157303

Last edited:

Ducky

Aw Phooey
is a Contributor to Smogon
Since the poke-aaa environment is staller, this becomes perfect!:porygon2:
SHEER FORCE Pory2
unblockable
View attachment 424083
How to play?
switch when the foe is a wall(just not too offensive)pokemon.
Kill(or heavily damage) that wall pokemon/Kill the pokemon that switch in
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8pokebilitiesaaa-1569520099
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8pokebilitiesaaa-1568947936
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8pokebilitiesaaa-1568831711
Porygon2 is really slow, making it much harder to actually sweep. Also All 3 of the replays you showed were from low ladder, and most of the calcs you showed were vs unviable pokemon

Since the poke-aaa environment is staller, this becomes perfect!:porygon2:
SHEER FORCE Pory2
unblockable
View attachment 424083
How to play?
switch when the foe is a wall(just not too offensive)pokemon.
Kill(or heavily damage) that wall pokemon/Kill the pokemon that switch in
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8pokebilitiesaaa-1569520099
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8pokebilitiesaaa-1568947936
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8pokebilitiesaaa-1568831711
These calcs assume that Porygon2 will always get a SpA Download, access to almost any abilities, and that Life Orb Porygon2 can get the Jump on in order to force a switch.
Also you are using a Porygon2 with recover, which means that you lose one of your coverage moves (all of which Magnezone resists)

With all the talk about triage being unbalanced, with which i agree, i would also like to bring attention to heracross. While it did seem like a balanced guts user back when Obstagoon wasnt banned, i feel its quickfeet set is too strong even for this meta. Its 524 attack stat allows very few mons to be able to switch into it. Infact with cc, Koff, facade and eq, only D-shield palossand can reliably switch into it, a mediocre mon which passes over the momentum to the enemy every time it comes in. Here you might be thinking that well it is a wall breaker, it breaks walls, so what. I'd agree with you, if it wasnt for its 442 speed which outspeeds every relevant non scarfer besides eleki. After getting a moxie boost, theres nothing that can stop its sweep besides strong prio or a scarfer. With you having to always switch into your defensive answers whenever it comes on the field, it could also sd in place of knock, ohkoing your wall if its been chipped before. Or it could run toxic boost and annihilate phys walls on the go to allow its sweeper teammate to run rampant. While i believe that the 4 attacks quickfeet set is superior, the other two being quite viable can also lose you the game just bec you did not expect an sd or toxic boost.

Another thing id like to point out is how it takes advantage of crits. While most wallbreakers do enjoy the 50% damage boost, the oopponent can usually mitigate the effect by playing around it smartly. However, with hera checks being only Dshield mons, its crits do 125% more damage instead of 50 effectively 1-2hkoing any non resist. Hers the calc for corv:
252 Atk Guts Heracross Close Combat vs. +1 252 HP / 252+ Def Corviknight: 133-157 (33.2 - 39.2%) -- 100% chance to 3HKO
252 Atk Guts Heracross Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Corviknight on a critical hit: 298-352 (74.5 - 88%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

some viable pokeaaa mons for you to use:
:ss/landorus-therian:

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Aerilate
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Swords Dance
- Explosion
- Earthquake
this lando set is THE ho lead imo. it pairs especially well with other exploders, since they can delete two mons from the very beginning without sacrificing offensive pressure.

:ss/regieleki:

Regieleki @ Life Orb
Ability: Refrigerate
EVs: 252 Atk / 160 SpA / 96 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Volt Switch
- Extreme Speed
- Explosion
- Rapid Spin
oh hey, its that other exploders i was talking about. eleki also has a very nice spin for other offense like webs. espeed can remove gale wings from tflame, and volt switch threatens it outright.

:ss/gengar:

Gengar @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Thunderbolt
- Nasty Plot
this fucker literally just kills everything that's slower than it. issue is, not a lot in the current meta is slower than it, but be on the lookout when tflame gets banned. it'll be an absolute monster, and probably should just be banned already.

:ss/talonflame:

Talonflame @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Brave Bird
- Swords Dance
- Roost
banners? any banners in chat? seriously we need a talonflame ban. it can simply outspeed everything, beat every triage mon, spam gale wings brave bird if something IS faster, and basically require every defensive team to run zapdos/heatran, lest they get bowled over. tl;dr this shit is BUSTED

:ss/zapdos-galar:

Zapdos-Galar @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
Jolly Nature
- Thunderous Kick
- Brave Bird
- U-turn
- Close Combat
gapdos is stupid my god. it beats CORVIKNIGHT of all things, and if there's no slowbro on the opposing team, it will most likely end up sweeping you before you get a chance to do anything.

There needs to be a look at Greedent, unless its immediately taken out in one shot, any damage dealt that doesn't KO it will only make it stronger. Solutions such as Unnerve aren't addressing the problem, the same issue is with triage, saying "oh well dazzling or psychic surge blocks it" that isn't a solution when you have to make an entire pokemon to deal with another. Greedent is able to come in and be an extremely powerful revenge killer, outright able to setup easily with substitute and recover its health while boosting its stats to the point you can't deal with it. its niche but its extremely difficult to deal with after it starts going.

There needs to be a look at Greedent, unless its immediately taken out in one shot, any damage dealt that doesn't KO it will only make it stronger. Solutions such as Unnerve aren't addressing the problem, the same issue is with triage, saying "oh well dazzling or psychic surge blocks it" that isn't a solution when you have to make an entire pokemon to deal with another. Greedent is able to come in and be an extremely powerful revenge killer, outright able to setup easily with substitute and recover its health while boosting its stats to the point you can't deal with it. its niche but its extremely difficult to deal with after it starts going.
Greedent has a horrible defensive typing and speed, and bulk which is very good, but not exactly unbreakable. Toxic, knock off, hitting it hard before it sets up, or critting through its defenses if it manages to set up are all ways of dealing with it, as it constantly needs to heal, giving you a lot of opportunities to try and land a critical hit. Additionally, it relies on luck from harvest to heal and set up, meaning that if you're unlucky, you just won't be able to. If it does successfully set up, then yes, it's very threatening: but that's the case with a LOT of pokémon, and doesn't make them broken.

It's also not a revenge killer, like, at all, I don't know where that came from. Revenge killers are either fast attackers, usually scarf, or are priority users, able to come in after a KO and KO back immediately. Greedent is a slow setup mon, the opposite of a revenge killer.

Greedent has a horrible defensive typing and speed, and bulk which is very good, but not exactly unbreakable. Toxic, knock off, hitting it hard before it sets up, or critting through its defenses if it manages to set up are all ways of dealing with it, as it constantly needs to heal, giving you a lot of opportunities to try and land a critical hit. Additionally, it relies on luck from harvest to heal and set up, meaning that if you're unlucky, you just won't be able to. If it does successfully set up, then yes, it's very threatening: but that's the case with a LOT of pokémon, and doesn't make them broken.

It's also not a revenge killer, like, at all, I don't know where that came from. Revenge killers are either fast attackers, usually scarf, or are priority users, able to come in after a KO and KO back immediately. Greedent is a slow setup mon, the opposite of a revenge killer.
I guess Harvest custap is a way to revenge kill, but it doesn't really synergise with Cheek Pouch

If you want a better Cheek Pouch sweeper, just use Sub Agility Diggersby with Liechi

HiZo

我が為に苦しめ。我が為に狂い泣け。我が為に死ね。
is a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Hello, I just wanna share a fun hail team for PokeAAA:

:glaceon: :ninetales-alola: :beartic: :landorus-therian: :tornadus-therian: :xatu:

Abuse Snow Cloak + Bright Powder and hope you win through misses. The birds bring support through defog, sort of perma-weather removal and being able to handle patch up some defensive holes because this has three ice types. Wishport Xatu with Regenerator was a really cool choice as a counterlead and support.

Anyways, enjoy it while it lasts lmao

Edit: wow that was fast, lol

Last edited:

Eggs

some days, you just can't get rid of an egg
Hello, I just wanna share a fun hail team for PokeAAA:

:glaceon: :ninetales-alola: :beartic: :landorus-therian: :tornadus-therian: :xatu:

Abuse Snow Cloak + Bright Powder and hope you win through misses. The birds bring support through defog, sort of perma-weather removal and being able to handle patch up some defensive holes because this has three ice types. Wishport Xatu with Regenerator was a really cool choice as a counterlead and support.

Anyways, enjoy it while it lasts lmao
Effective immediately, PokeAAA will be banning all forms of evasion. If you have a problem with this, you're welcome to challenge Instruct and find out why we're banning/restricting all of the following:
  • Bright Powder (Banned)
  • Lax Incense (Banned)
  • Sand Veil (Restricted)
  • Snow Cloak (Restricted)
  • Sand Veil + Sand Stream (Restricted)
  • Snow Cloak + Snow Warning (Restricted)
Additionally, it's come to our attention that Gengar is rather overwhelming in the tier. Great coverage and insane typing and power. Due to its overwhelming presence (and the fact that it's already banned in AAA for most of the same reasons), Gengar is now banned.

Tagging Kris to implement. Also here's a replay of a godawful PokeAAA ZU match if you don't believe me

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)