Old gens are boring

Status
Not open for further replies.
Serious but short thread because I don't wanna put too much effort into it, but see it as an advice from someone who spent a lot of time on Smogon, and who played old gens a lot with decent results in the past.

Old gens are boring and are stuck in their state after they are no longer the current OU gen, sure SPL and Wcop can bring some fresh air with new sets because a lot of good players still like to play them (Amaranth in rby, Finch/SW in bw, Excal in dpp, Roro in adv etc), but we barely have any suspect test, especially in RBY, GSC and ADV so they don't change too much

Even BW is almost the same as it was some years ago after you banned Excadrill

I know that what you're trying to do is making those tiers as competitive as possible, but we all know pokèmon isn't really thre most competitive game to begin with, so may as well try some new mons in those tiers to change them a bit during time. Tradebacks in RBY should've been tested a long time ago, maybe you can test ADV without Spikes and/or Dugtrio and Magneton, BW with Genesect, TornadusT or maybe with Venusaur. I'm not proposing anything in particular, but I just think that old gens need to be revived a bit.

A big problem also is that aside from SPL/Classic there isn't much about them (those unofficial circuits are nice, but I still dont value them too much, in the past ppl won tours from the circuit and still didn't get bought in SPL), but most important old gens ladders are dead. You may want to create some Old gens official tour like OLT where you need ladder to qualify, but also completely changing classic's "qualifying" stage (single elimination in cups isn't the greatest) with a qualifying stage through ladder

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Regarding potential for more action in old generation tiering, we think that may be better off in Policy Review than Tournament Policy if the proposal is for more proactive testing in old generations as that has nothing to do with the actual policy of tournaments so much as the tiers that make them up. That in particular also falls under the jurisdiction of Excal and the old generation councils, for what it is worth.

If you have a specific proposal or suggestion as to how to create the change you would like, feel free to make a topic on that. Right now the closest thing to that is a vague claim for more old generation tournaments and integrating the ladder, but it is not fleshed out whatsoever. This thread is labeled as a “proposal”, but it lacks any specific proposal, so we will be locking it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)