All Gens Old Gen Tournament Ideas

More ubers is always welcome by me.

A "Poke Cup" style tourney for gen 2 could spice things up a bit. Allow OHKO (yeah yeah I know OHKO is the basically Pokemon equivalent to Colonal Gaddafi) but with the level restrictions implemented in Poke Cup (50-55) I think it's sufficiently nerfed to not be overly centralizing, ohko's of course cannot hit a higher Pokemon in Gen2.

Just to refresh on what "Poke Cup" rules are; all Pokemon levels must be between 50 & 55, combined level of the 3 you use in any given round cannot exceed 155. I would propose just doubling up to 310 limit to make the matches 6 vs 6 rather than 3 vs 3. It adds a variable reminiscent of new gen features in a little more freedom to tailor stats & create some interesting contrasts with regards to spread / targeted team structures. I can't remember if any moves become unavailable at that level but ignoring those implications is obviously preferable.

Akir

A true villain!
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
More ubers is always welcome by me.

A "Poke Cup" style tourney for gen 2 could spice things up a bit. Allow OHKO (yeah yeah I know OHKO is the basically Pokemon equivalent to Colonal Gaddafi) but with the level restrictions implemented in Poke Cup (50-55) I think it's sufficiently nerfed to not be overly centralizing, ohko's of course cannot hit a higher Pokemon in Gen2.

Just to refresh on what "Poke Cup" rules are; all Pokemon levels must be between 50 & 55, combined level of the 3 you use in any given round cannot exceed 155. I would propose just doubling up to 310 limit to make the matches 6 vs 6 rather than 3 vs 3. It adds a variable reminiscent of new gen features in a little more freedom to tailor stats & create some interesting contrasts with regards to spread / targeted team structures. I can't remember if any moves become unavailable at that level but ignoring those implications is obviously preferable.
Nintendo Cup style Pokemon Stadium tournament (Generation 1). Build a team with 6 Pokemon and chose 3 to battle depending on the 6 your opponent brings, Stadium mechanics (or cartridge, doesnt really matter too much; make it Stadium 7 turn sleep in 3v3 is ridiculous). I would not want to host this though
These are actually the same (more or less)! I would be more than happy to experiment with this further, as I have always been interested in how this format would actually play out. I would be more than happy to lead the tour myself as well.

the only problems would be format/interest. Nintendo Cup would need to be added to the sim to work properly...i dont see a workaround besides the 6v6 suggestion that would separate it from the original too much. Interest would also be on/off, as not only would it be an oldgen tournament but also for what is a "new format" for 99% of smogon.

Regardless, if we decide that we want to do this then ill gladly TO this and watch it all happen

phosphor

ghosts appear and fade away
is a Top Tutoris a Community Leader
B101 Leader
I think these will provide some unique opportunities to provide usage data for currently debated topics in tiering, a BW OU+ Chlorosun tour seems like a great idea to see its effects post-Sun.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)