All Gens Old Gen Tournament Ideas

Lutra

Spreadsheeter by day, Random Ladderer by night.
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Post your old gen tournament ideas here, including the tournament format and featured tiers. You can also reply to other ideas.

I've decided to make this thread because I've had a few people PMing me over the last couple of years about tournament ideas. For whatever reasons, a lot of decent ideas don't get followed up enough, so I'm hoping this thread can bring some of these ideas closer to reality.

Tagging a few people who have either pmed me on forums or I remember showing interest in tournament ideas: Apollo., Elegyy, SOMALIA, Honko, Malekith, Drud, Leru, Huston .

To make this clear, this is not a thread offering to host your tournament ideas, although some people might want to. Tournaments you want to host in the RoA subforum, will still have to be approved by me, Jellicent and undisputed. Tournaments you want to host in Circuit tournaments, will have to be approved by a competitive section leader/moderation team, with those leaders/teams supervising you, or for the case of the Tournaments forum be approved in Tournament applications and the Tournament rules and guidelines should be read beforehand.

DPP team trials so teams of 3, would be amazing and alot of people on forums have been getting into dpp ou recently.

Another idea is perhaps alphabet DPP OU, so you get 6 random letters and you build your team based on those so mons starting with those letters.

Basically anything including dpp ou, I live and die for dpp ou

Lutra

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
In RoA, we tend to either rotate between old gens in a series or include all old gens in one tournament, so a standalone DPP team trials tournament sounds better suited to unofficial tournaments.

Lutra

team trials for maybe gen1-5 OU then ?
Drud mentioned this to me already. I do like the idea of including a team version of RoAST in the circuit. I would prefer including gen 6 too even though it's an extra complication. I haven't got the time to host this myself, so a tournament application PM to us three RoA Mods would be the way to go.

Reactions: dom
there should be a DPP LC team tour other than lcpl where we can form a team with our friends instead of being drafted or "nations"
3 people teams sounds like a good starting point

maybe round robin?

if this tour ever becomes a thing notify me so i can sign up

Last edited:
Nintendo Cup style Pokemon Stadium tournament (Generation 1). Build a team with 6 Pokemon and chose 3 to battle depending on the 6 your opponent brings, Stadium mechanics (or cartridge, doesnt really matter too much; make it Stadium 7 turn sleep in 3v3 is ridiculous). I would not want to host this though

Last edited:
Stadium 1 & 2 PokéCup would be sick. Level 50-55 with a 155 combined level cap. Such an unexplored meta.

There's nothing in PS programming to enforce the level rule though afaik...

I love Gen 2 Middle Cup to death (I love it more if item clause is also enforced), so if you want to play send me a challenge, I already have teams.

Lutra

FT2W (bo3) RBY OU tournament, but with a twist - once you lose a game in the set, you are allowed to use Mew. The idea is to see how effective Mew is when it doesn't have to worry about other Mew, while also being a challenge for the OU team user to beat a Mewbers team.

Lutra

do spring/winter ssnl style double elim tours for gens 1-5?

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/rby-double-elimination-tour-finals-won-by-eb0la.3623931/

something like that probably works, and gives people an easyish rolling way to steadily get into older tiers without the hassle of managing several smaller tours at once

feel like this is relatively straightforward as opposed to creating new formats as well
Old Gen OU Seasonals are on the new calendar!

Also I will be submitting a tournament application for the Mewbers idea, OU will be the tiebreaker instead of Mewbers though, and Mewbers is the first match.

Lutra

I've got an idea for the next tournament year: Prize Money multipliers.

For all Lutra sponsored tournaments, you can earn up to 2x the advertised prize money by the following ways. Note that different multipliers do not sum or multiply with each other, or produce any higher number by combining them in any n-ary operation or n-parameter function. The different ways to qualify for each multiplier also only result in a single applied multiplier. When the criteria for a higher multiplier is met, that higher multiplier becomes the new only applied multiplier.

2.0x: Gold Host (hosted 100+ Tour Nights) / Gold Trainer (won 100+ Night Tours) / sponsor a $50 tournament (not the multiplier) / don't claim a $50 prize.
1.8x: Silver Host (hosted 80-99 Tour Nights) / Silver Trainer (won 80-99 Night Tours)
1.6x: Bronze Host (hosted 60-79 Tour Nights) / Bronze Trainer (won 60-79 Night Tours)
1.4x: Green Host (hosted 40-59 Tour Nights) / Green Trainer (won 40-59 Night Tours)
1.2x: Red Host (hosted 20-39 Tour Nights) / Red Trainer (won 20-39 Night Tours)
1.0x: Everyone else.

Multipliers don't activate retrospectively. If you win a tournament, you'll get the multiplier at the time of winning it. If you win a tournament and don't claim the $50, you are not eligible to then get the $50 bonus (from the multiplier) for that tournament. If you win a tournament that you sponsor, you also aren't eligible for the $50 bonus.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)