Project Old Gen Hackmons Megathread

Ransei

Garde Mystik
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Does this sentence not make sense to anyone else or am i just being dumb/reading it wrong
If you were to make a nomination, be elaborate and explain precisely why you feel the Pokémon warrants the nomination. You could be specific Pokémon they beat. For example, they could outmatch various Pokémon above or around it on the viability rankings. It could also be because they truly provide a valuable niche that can serve as useful for consistent wins in the metagame. Don't just say "Entei should be S rank in the Wonder Guard viability rankings because I like it and have won some games with it." Provide valuable information over what it takes advantage of to help you consistently win against the standard metagame, then have some sort of known evidence somewhere that you know what you're doing, either through ladder ranks, consistent tour results, or being able to serve under the role of council, which usually comes with metagame experience.

Reasons I think Gyarados-Mega is dumb stupid and ugly (Gen 6)

1: It can’t run almost any wonder guard
Gyarados-Mega as an offensive huge power mon cannot hit most wg This is usually not much of a problem for other huge power pokemon and those like mmx, regigigas, slaking and many more have extreme variation in sets meaning that even a wg that you cannot hit is still offensively pressured, the surprise factor that these hold is an extreme strength. Gyarados-Mega is most cases not allowed such freedom. Most Gyarados-Mega use a set of -generic dark stab -water shuriken -pursuit -filler, really only leaving 1 move slot to surprise factor. I know many may say something along the lines of “well what about getting rid of one of the 3 moves from before that’s good surprise factor” the problem being this is an extreme mu play and hoping that you get the right wg for it as without both dark moves it can’t beat giratina, it’s main target or without shuriken, groudon the other big fish u want dead.

2: You have trouble hitting wonder guard weak to your stabs
Looking at the vr there are many weak to dark but they mostly have their anti Gyarados-Mega tech. Let’s start with deo a. Deo a is mostly uses as a substitute baton pass user, the anti Gyarados-Mega tech is obvious, baton pass means that pursuit cannot trap it and it’s low speed means it cannot stop the substitute baton pass. MMY is an offensive wg runs a lot of coverage one of the best being secret sword or freeze dry that will ohko Gyarados-Mega after a shell smash, yes mega gyar can sucker punch it but this requires specific coverage, not always available as well as letting mmy switching out. Cresselia is pretty obvious it’s pretty much only used to outspeed and baton pass in front of Gyarados-Mega face. Mega gengar is the probably the best gyar target but it has its own problems as mega gengar is faster allowing baton pass if it has it, however it can kill it a lot of the time. Some say forcing a switch is valuable enough since u gain momentum but there is a problem with that being the fact that most switch out with baton pass in most situations the wg gets momentum.

3: Giratina
Giratina is THE TARGET for Gyarados-Mega but even this is inconsistent, pursuit only does about 45% and 90% switching out so it can’t allows a lot of bullshit with curse recovery allowing Tina to often live and sometimes even force a lot of chip on mega gyar. Equally it has trouble with d-bond Tina allowing a trade, yes this is a good trade but not by much. Spore and will o Tina are major problems but I will talk about those in a later part. Sub pass Tina is self explanatory to why it wouldn’t work.

4: Mold breaker
Gyarados-Mega is somewhat considered a revenge killer to mold breaker pokemon, like many things in Gyarados-Mega this is mu based as really it can only revenge kill groudon or mega diance mold sets and sometimes mega gengar and mega latios if u have sucker punch but that’s only if ur running it since mega gengar and mega latios can ohko you if you don’t, but mega ray, Slaking, Regigigas and Dialga are not killable by Gyarados-Mega

5: Oh yea the other sets
Pheal is mu based again but like it’s ok ig and mold set is so slow I doubt it can get most things done that groudon just does better as well as not losing to diance, but I don’t have much experience with these since nobody uses it.

6: Status
This is the reason why I think Gyarados-Mega is dumb, stupid and ugly it’s extreme weakness to status. Gyarados-Mega usually runs Lum or googles, Lum being the better as googles are mu based. A mega gyar with no Lum has so many problems 1: it can’t trap spore/willo/dvoid tina as it can be status and can’t trap anymore. 2:Even worse mold mu since 99% of mold pokemon run sleep. Mega gyar slow speed and weak/gimmicky prio moves mean that it relies on Lum without it, it does horribly and I find that most of gyar targets run status.

Anyways mega gyar is good despite everything I just think he isn’t that good, like you rank him alongside ray, groudon, and mmx (also chansey ig but whatever). Really the entire point of all of this rant is to not make Gyarados-Mega A+ because it’s not A+ it’s like A or A- but probably A

-Sincerely Eyeos

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)