Welcome to this year's edition of one of Smogon's longest standing traditions, the Official Smogon Tournament! The format is as simple as it is classic - a winner-takes-all best of three in the current generation of our OverUsed format! The winner receiving the golden trophy!
Players will be picked randomly against one another for as many rounds as it takes to find one final champion. This year, replays will be mandatory starting in Round 2! Make sure you save them and post them when you claim your victory starting in the second round, though you're also encouraged to save your Round 1 replays in the case of any dispute.
Additionally, join our discord to discuss the tournament, ask about rules, find your opponent more easily or just to hang out!
General Tournament Rules
OST Specific Rules
- This is a standard SV OU tournament.
- The tournament will be single elimination.
- Players will play a best of three series of games each round
- Matches are to be played on Pokemon Showdown!. If you can't agree on which server to play on, the Smogtours server is the default option.
Standard Rules and Clauses
- Sleep Clause: A player cannot put two or more different opposing Pokémon to sleep using attacks that induce sleep to opposing Pokémon.
- Species Clause: A player cannot have two of the same Pokémon on their team. For example, a player cannot have two Koffing on his or her team.
- Evasion Clause: A player cannot use the moves Double Team or Minimize in their Pokémon's movesets.
- OHKO Clause: Players cannot use Horn Drill, Guillotine, Sheer Cold, or Fissure in any of their Pokémon's movesets.
- Team Preview: Players must turn on the Team Preview feature where players can view the opposing team's Pokémon and choose their lead Pokémon.
- Timer Clause: If a player exhausts the timer, he/she loses.
- Endless Battle Clause: Any moveset on any Pokémon that is capable of intentionally causing an endless battle is banned from competitive play. Check this thread for more information.
- Baton Pass Clause: The move Baton Pass is banned outright.
- Uber Clause: Players may not use any items, moves, abilities, or Pokemon that appear on Smogon's OU Ban List. If the tiers change or new items, abilities, moves, or Pokemon become available in the middle of a round, the changes will take effect in the following round. There will be an announcement in the relevant round if this occurs.
About Activity Decisions
Activity Decisions / Coin Flips: In the event that there is an uncompleted match at the deadline, it will be coin flipped unless one or both of the players involved in the match specifically request an activity win and explain sufficiently why they deserve to win over their opponent. Attempting to schedule a battle is required in order to receive the win by activity. To make it clear that you are requesting an activity win when you post, you must open your post with "Activity Win Request" in bold.
For example, if you believe your opponent is making an unfair request and that they don't deserve the activity win over you, you can either make your own request or quote their post and explain why they don't deserve it. You should try to make your activity win request posts at least 24 hours before the deadline to give your opponent a reasonable opportunity to contest it with their own activity win request.
In case of disconnections, if you played in the SmogTours server, call a Tournament Director as soon as possible and we'll see about the possibility of having a rematch.
This year, in addition to the trophy, the winner will receive their choice of a custom avatar or claiming an inactive username on PS!, courtesy of Marty. The runner up will be allowed whichever option the winner does not select. A cash prize for top finish will also be announced at a later date.
These signups will be open for about 2 weeks, though we may cut them short if it's deemed necessary. To sign up, reply to this thread with "in".
If there are any questions, please don't hesitate to reach out to me or another TD team member!