Official Smogon Tournament XIII - Round 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

teal6

is a Tournament Directoris a Forum Moderatoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SCL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Smogon Tournament #13

as you continue along in this tournament there is one thing i would like to impart. in all endeavors of life, be they small things such as a pokemon tournament or large ones such as your career, you should act with complete and utter sincerity. those of you whom have come this far have something in common, skill in combination with passion for your craft. i applaud this, i'm proud of all of you, because your efforts speak to the sincerity and genuineness of your hearts.

hold on to this feeling, this passion, this drive. apply it not only to this game, not only to school, not only to work, but to all things which you attempt. if you do then i promise you will wake up each morning feeling as if the world itself is at your feet. good luck.

Specific Rules
  • This is a standard SM OU tournament.
  • The tournament will be single elimination.
  • Players will play a best of three series of games each round.
  • Matches are to be played on Pokemon Showdown!.
Standard Rules and Clauses
  • Sleep Clause: A player cannot put two or more different opposing Pokémon to sleep using attacks that induce sleep to opposing Pokémon.
  • Species Clause: A player cannot have two of the same Pokémon on their team. For example, a player cannot have two Koffing on his or her team.
  • Evasion Clause: A player cannot use the moves Double Team or Minimize in their Pokémon's movesets.
  • OHKO Clause: Players cannot use Horn Drill, Guillotine, Sheer Cold, or Fissure in any of their Pokémon's movesets.
  • Timer Clause: If a player exhausts the timer, he/she loses.
  • Endless Battle Clause: Any moveset on any pokemon that is capable of intentionally causing an endless battle is banned from competitive play. Check this thread for more informations.
  • Baton Pass Clause: Check this thread.
  • Uber Clause: Players may not use any items, moves, abilities, or Pokemon that appear on Smogon's OU Ban List. If the tiers change or new items, abilities, moves, or Pokemon become available in the middle of a round, the changes will take effect in the following round. There will be an announcement in the relevant round if this occurs.
About Activity Decisions
Activity Decisions / Coin Flips: In the event that there is an uncompleted match at the deadline, it will be coin flipped unless one or both of the players involved in the match specifically request an activity win and explain sufficiently why they deserve to win over their opponent. Attempting to schedule a battle is required in order to receive the win by activity. To make it clear that you are requesting an activity win when you post, you must open your post with "Activity Win Request" in bold.
Activity Win Request I contacted my opponent on the 27th, one day after the round was posted and told him my timezone. He responded on the 30th but did not indicate his timezone. I replied back asking for a timezone on the 1st of December, and he never replied. On the 7th, I VMed him again asking whether he could battle on the weekend, and yet again he didn't respond. I deserve the activity win because my opponent ignored my attempts to schedule our battles.
If you believe your opponent is making an unfair request and that they don't deserve the activity win over you, you can either make your own request or quote their post and explain why they don't deserve it. You should try to make your activity win request posts at least 24 hours before the deadline to give your opponent a reasonable opportunity to contest it with their own activity win request.

Timer Clause will be strictly enforced for this tournament. This means that the normal disconnection rules found in the Tournament Rules, Guidelines, and Information thread do not apply. If a player disconnects and does not reconnect to their battle before the timer expires, they lose that particular game. This doesn't necessarily mean they lose the entire set.

If a ban occurs during the Round 7, it won't affect the tournament until its next round. Also extensions are until Wednesday at 11:59 EST, as always.

Esteemed SPL Host Ginku vs ABR
Wheitron vs (Gene Sp vs Lord Outrage)
Iloveleague vs ez
Hybuyn vs 100 Hoes Kaido
aim vs Malekith
(Gondra vs Mazar) vs JayStaice
njnp vs Poek
ben gay vs taxi driver

Deadline The deadline for Round 7 will be 11:59 PM EST on the 9th of April, 2017. Any matches not played by this time will be coin flipped unless one or both players have submitted a request for an activity win. (Just as a side note, if you wanna dodge a flip, make SURE to put in the appropriate amount of effort to schedule!!)

If you wish to contact the Tournaments Directors about this tournament, shoot them a PM via >>this link<<.

Thanks to Zracknel for the amazing logo!

The prize money for this years winner is $200!

Last edited:

blunder

the bobby fischer of pokemon
is a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 25 Champion
Big Chungus Winner
Esteemed SPL Host Ginku vs ABR - one of the two big highlight games this round alongside njnp vs poek. this is way more even than i think most ppl think since ginku is p fire and also wanted abr this round so i wouldn't be surprised if one or the other wins. i've been following abr's run and since r1 he hasn't really had a series which he hasn't dominated so i think this will be a series in which he's gonna need to try. either way its top 16 and i think both r gonna need to deviate a little bit from tang + ground + water + 3 if they don't wanna get outprepped. regardless i don't see either doing so and i think both r way too in love with what's "safe" to use. i predict this match to come down to whose toxapex gets spdef dropped first by the opponents specs gengar.

not gonna predict middle 3 games cuz dont know enuf about the players but iloveleague has been killing it and plays every sunday night or monday his opps cant let him play early he's too unstoppable when he plays early, like a young less polished spl7 blunder

aim vs Malekith - interesting to me bc malekith is a good player but then uses shit like in stour finals

either way he's still solid and i predict we'll see some creative teams from both sides. i'd be surprised if i saw both come in with toxapex tangrowth landorus + 3 more mons that lose to gengar teams as from what i've seen both of these guys like to deviate a little with one or two weird mons to throw off the opp.

(Gondra vs Mazar) vs JayStaice - mazar changed the game of pokemon more in the last 1 month than any1 has done in the last 5 years, easy predict. i don't know much about gondra but i think he's a spaniard and they're usually decent at pokemon but it's hard to root against mazar anyways. i know 0 about jaystaice but a simple replay search up shows tht he too enjoys using tangrowth + landorus + toxapex + 3 so we'll see how tht goes. edit, i actually take tht back after lookin at more jaystaice replays hes competent and makes some big moves so i don't see this bein a one sided mazar beatdown

njnp vs Poek - the other big highlight game in my opinion. i think njnp is probably the hardest person to prep a team for and i would never want to play him for the headache that would follow building. you have to prepare for the possible sticky web / bullshit meme stall and it's hard to have a team that can cover all bases since njnp literally uses anything, last ost he was using trash doublade stall too so there's really no way to know what hes gonna bring. poek isn't just coasting by tho and has been prepping for his opps as well and takin the tour more than serious so i can see this being a very close series. both are aggro as fuck play wise so i can't really favor one over the other in that sense but i think i'll have to give this a prediction like bkc and say njnp 51 : poek 49 bc if njnp pulls up with this NJNP➏神's team: Slowbro / Magearna / Arcanine / Tangrowth / Tentacruel / Krookodile it's hard to root against.

ben gay vs taxi driver - interesting matchup, i've seen a few of ben gay's games where he's been using some cool shit with common denominator toxapex but i actually haven't seen one game of taxi drivers besides i think one where he used some full special orb lando-t which was another god tier creation. i think taxi driver is one of the dark horses in this tour and not on many ppls radars includin ben gay who called him a nobody but hopefully that serves as some motivation and we get a good series.

Last edited:
Wheitron vs (Gene Sp vs Lord Outrage) - não te conheço mas boa sorte, espero que vença
Hybuyn vs 100 Hoes Kaido
aim vs Malekith
njnp vs Poek
ben gay vs taxi driver

aim
vs Malekith
njnp vs Poek -winner of this to take it all cant pick 1 tho super close
ben gay vs taxi driver

Esteemed SPL Host Ginku and I are most likely playing Friday, but I'll update this post with the exact time once we decide on it.

I've kept pretty much all of my games private up until this point, as the remaining player pool was still large and I wanted to reuse some stuff, but now I feel it's time to open up to the spectators. Top 16 is traditionally the mark for a real "playoffs", as seen in Smogon Tour, so I hope everyone else plays publicly as well. There's not too huge of a downside to it and a lot of the spectators really enjoy watching - it also creates an authentic tournament atmosphere. With this in mind, please post here with your times and have the games done on smogtours.

I'm looking forward to the closing sequence of this tour, so let's all make it an enjoyable top 16.

edit: Friday 12:30 PM gmt-4

Last edited:
Hybuyn vs 100 Hoes Kaido- ???
aim vs Malekith- highlight match
njnp vs Poek
ben gay
vs taxi driver

stacked top 16

I would be happy to see any of Poek, ben, joey, njnp, malekith, or mazar win. ofc though, go ABR!!!!

yeah what abr said or drop some replays please : )

really some great matches to come... dont get ghosted boys. nice and clean tournament for a change, what a delightful thought.

Mazar 2 trophies hintereinander ?

Century Express

melodies of life
is a Tutoris a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
World Defender
Iloveleague vs ez
Hybuyn vs 100 Hoes Kaido
aim vs Malekith
njnp vs Poek
ben gay vs taxi driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)