Finals Official Smogon Tournament XII - Finals [no winner]

Status
Not open for further replies.
To reiterate for the select few struggling to understand, irrespective of whether NJNP won his own games fairly, had he have been caught matty brollic earlier in the tour he would have immediately been banned and not in a position where he may be a potential winner. You can argue all you want about the legitimacy of his own games, fact is he broke a rule punishable by a tour ban.

Isa

I've never felt better in my life
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
i havent managed to read everything but im deleting posts as of now (apparently someone else is also doing it)

dont cry if you get infractions

i don't know nor give a fuck about njnp at all so let that preclude premature claims of bias

but i don't think he should have lost his trophy at all for this transgression. the intent and consequence of one's actions are relevant in determining the punishment. i have not seen the logs but it seems as if the actual incident is pretty tame, especially if it's as analytic described. considering the circumstances when presented like that, njnp's intent was not to cheat or ghost but instead, to answer a question for a friend when put into a difficult position; ie, ignoring your friend, as laurel alluded to. likewise, mattybrolic still lost and apparently did not make the move that njnp recommended. there was very little consequence. attempting wrongdoing is still punishable, don't get me wrong, and i think the tour ban is justified. but when considering that stripping the trophy and a 6 month tour ban is the same punishment that happened to people that were actually ghosted during the run and during the finals, we need to compare the wrongs and look at our punishment scale.

if we are to assume it was njnp's intent to do wrong...do we compare his wrongdoing with bouff's as if it's attempted murder v murder or something? b/c then there's a reasonable and significant difference in punishment. if we consider it as the difference between like killing ten people and a hundred, then there's really not much we can do to differentiate the crimes punishment wise and it makes sense to strip the trophy. i think it's more the former, and i don't think he had the intent to do wrong regardless, so i truly think removing his trophy is unjustified in this instance.

again i've never spoken to njnp ever so

Isa

I've never felt better in my life
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
It was basically Matty asking for opinions on one turn vs WQ and NJNP gave his opinion, iirc Matty didn't even do what NJNP asked him to so yeah, I don't remember this properly through my apologies
this is not something i expected from you. maybe we should investigate more into the matter regarding your involvement since you seem to know things about the case?

we've already said it when dekzeh posted, but i'll repeat it. we have evidence of ghosting - as well as admissions that are public for all to see - that extends beyond "asking for opinions on one turn". we're talking the "do x, do y, do z" dance and "what do i do now" from the other part. this was not a momentary lapse of reason, this was going on for three games in a series.

---

die strong i wasnt a TD last year, sorry not sorry.

Aberforth

is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Ubers Leader
You're calling for a ban on the majority of the community then, because a fuckload of people were upset by that decision mate. They represented the will of the community and you haven't yet argued why their decision is wrong here, only why a previous decision was wrong.

After we in the TD team posted our original decision regarding njnp keeping the trophy for winning OST, the general public opinion was that this decision was faulty. As a result, we decided to review our stance.

Following this, the TD team has changed its stance on the matter, and has now decided that njnp should not be considered the just winner of OST #12, and thus will be stripped of his trophy.

Our original line of thought was that njnp defeated his opponents without any extra assistance (to the best of our knowledge), which makes his win legitimate. However, we failed to consider the following factors that have made us reconsider:

1. njnp engaged in behavior that was decidedly intended to change the outcome of a set he wasn't playing. Although the outcome of the set was that the player that njnp assisted lost, this should not be used as a point in njnp's favor. By ghosting MattyBrollic, njnp essentially got two shots at eliminating a player.
2. Had njnp ghosting MattyBrollic been uncovered before the final game of the tournament been exposed, njnp would be immediately disqualified. Committing an offense and the subsequent punishment for that shouldn't be depending on when the offense is uncovered.

Moving forward, anyone who is caught cheating in a tournament will be disqualified immediately, and any accolades won from that tournament, including trophies, will be revoked if applicable, even if said instance of cheating did not directly affect their own matches. The basis for this ruling is that cheating can impact the bracket as a whole and therefore potential opponents, even if this was not the intended purpose.

On a slightly related note, we've updated our policy regarding tournament banned players. These players can no longer post in the Tournaments forum or any of the subforums, and they're no longer allowed Voice (+) on Smogtours.
Moreover, tournament banned players are no longer allowed to compete in any tournaments, even those held in other subforums than the Tournaments section. Although the Tournament Directors are not enforcing the policies we're setting outside of the Tournament forum, we expect the forum leaders of Smogon to follow the policies we're outlining and will be actings as consults to them if there's a need.

no i wouldn't stand up for my friend if I knew he blatanly cheated. That's not being insecure, thats being an honest and logical human being. Ur just admitting that you have no acknowledgment of the actual rules in the fucking tour with that statement. Thats like defending Sammy Sosa for being a good hitter when the only reason he was good was because he used steroids. Your logic is fucking stupid.

it is disrespectful you fucktard, theres nothing wrong with them re-evaluating their thoughts if they realized that the initial outcome was unjust. And your right, they worked hard for their positions which leads me to not have any suspicion of bias in their decision. I trust them, just like you do.

why are you talking about freedom of speech dipshit, people can say whatever the fuck they want on the internet. Nobody is telling you that you can't post, but if your going to post retarded shit, be prepared to take an L.
My friend blatantly didn't cheat, you're grasping at straws. I heard the same as Analytic, and I cannot agree with Blarajan more. There is no way NJNP's punishment should be as bad as Bouff, Mazar, Asuya, Bloo, anyone who had a clear intent to cheat and win, and don't get me wrong both Bouff and Bro Kappa are friends of mine too. I didn't defend either of them when they were banned because there was nothing to defend. This on the other hand is different, if my friend BLATANTLY cheated, like my other two friends did I would have nothing to say, but NJNP hardly did anything wrong at all. Yes even telling him to Taunt is wrong, but losing a trophy, I still disagree with and think that is excessive. If I were to see evidence of what Isa says of turn by turn ghosting for three games, this would be different.

Wanka

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
UUPL Champion
Telling him to taunt is ghosting. Ghosting is not allowed. Doing something that is not allowed = blatanly cheating.

Id just let it go at this point bro beans, theres nothing anyone can do at this point. If you want to sit here and pat yourself on the back for thinking you have balls for doing w/e the fuck ur doing, go head, but ive given my two cents already so theres no use in quoting me anymore.

apt-get

it's not over 'til it's over
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
My friend blatantly didn't cheat, you're grasping at straws. I heard the same as Analytic, and I cannot agree with Blarajan more. There is no way NJNP's punishment should be as bad as Bouff, Mazar, Asuya, Bloo, anyone who had a clear intent to cheat and win, and don't get me wrong both Bouff and Bro Kappa are friends of mine too. I didn't defend either of them when they were banned because there was nothing to defend. This on the other hand is different, if my friend BLATANTLY cheated, like my other two friends did I would have nothing to say, but NJNP hardly did anything wrong at all. Yes even telling him to Taunt is wrong, but losing a trophy, I still disagree with and think that is excessive. If I were to see evidence of what Isa says of turn by turn ghosting for three games, this would be different.
I can't understand how you've been told multiple times over the course of this month that what njnp did was complete and blatant ghosting and you're STILL pretending he just "told him to taunt"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)