Official Smogon Tournament Round 1 Pairings

Status
Not open for further replies.

skarm

I HAVE HOTEL ROOMS
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Note: There is nothing different about the Spotlight Pairings. I randomized the entire list and these are just the matches that I think will be interesting because either a) they'll be good or b) they're rival boards, members, or what not. In my opinion, of course.

DEADLINE IS TWO WEEKS FROM NOW. THIS IS JANUARY 1st. However, this is the holiday season and I know we all have other commitments. This deadline will be extended if it is needed.

Spotlight Matches

Hipmonlee (Smogon) vs. JMC (Smogon)

Zounds! Old school players clash in this battle of... old people? Both Hipmonlee and JMC have been around for ages and frequently played RBY against each other way back when. Hipmonlee does play RS, but JMC may be lacking. Of course, when you're a Pokemon vetern you should be able to pick things up quickly. Will JMC be able to surprise us all with his dormant RS abilities and make this one hell of a match?

0mastar (Groudon's Volcano) vs. omni (Smogon)

Groudon's Volcano? What the hell is that? Well, it's another lesser known Pokemon site, that's what. However, some of their players aren't bad at all. You might remember the name 0mastar and that is a good thing because he used to play on Smogon before defecting. We all know the name omni and we know he's pretty good so he may easily appear to be the favorite, but be warned! 0mastar is quite good too and this should prove to be a close match.

stonerchris (Smogon) vs. Jackal (Smogon)

Not really two names you think of when you think of Smogon, at least not off of the top of your head, but I assure you this will be a pretty good match. Both Jackal and stonerchris fall on the list of people you'd underestimate pretty easily and that'll cost you. The question is, will they underestimate each other? No, probably not, which will make this a pretty good match in my opinion.

Slack King (Battle Mountain) vs. salami1 (PokeRealm)

To answer your question straight off Battle Mountain is another server, not a site (as far as I know). Slack King, better known as CTrainer on NetBattle itself is going up against salami1, better known as Alamaster, from PokeRealm in a match that once again might be overlooked. Both of these people have different backgrounds, however. CTrainer prides himself in his ability to play Standard/OU, but Alamaster is best known for his UU/NU prowess. Did you also know that Battle Mountain's server challenged PokeRealm to a best of 5 contest spanning different game types? No, I bet not, but PokeRealm clearly won.

However, the advantage appears to be CTrainer's court this time as the game type here is Standard. Can CTrainer, the sole representative of the Battle Mountain server, take out Alamaster of PokeRealm.net, or will the latter surprise us with some top of the line play in Standard as well?

Rex Iudeorum (Smogon) vs. Nd (Smogon)

I shouldn't have to explain this one, but I will anyways! Both ZFS and Nd are excellent Pokemon Players and both of them know how to use UU very well too, to my understanding. There isn't too much I can say about this one because you should already know how good it should be!

Dragonator (PokeRealm) vs. Hollister (PokeRealm)

WHO? Well, both of these people I'd say are of equal skill level and both are regular os PokeRealm.net. The question is, who is better and thus by a victory get to further represent PokeRealm in the second Official Smogon Tournament?

cloud (Smogon) vs. Icicle Knight (Smogon)

Both cloud and Icicle Knight are on-again off-again players. Who will be the best on-again this time?

husk1442 (PokeRealm) vs. goofball (Smogon)

Husk is probably one of the few unknown players, or underestimated rather, that is top of the line. Goofball should also be no stranger to you all. These two competitors certainly aren't strangers to each other either. Both participate in the minor PokeRealm tournaments. Both do quite well. When Smogon and PokeRealm meet up, who knows what will happen? (biased: go Smogon!)

gouz (Smogon) vs. Cromat (Smogon)

Holy shit. A few months ago I'd say this would be one of the top matches to watch, but since then I've rarely seen either of these two competitors play. Both gouz and Cromat were top notch a while back and both seem to have just appeared out of nowhere again. This should really, really, make this interesting for the battle of the rust.

Standard Pairings

The rest of you all aren't good enough to be in a spot light! (lol)

mtg (Smogon) vs. BB64 (Smogon)
Obi2Kenobi (Smogon) vs. Task11238 (PokeRealm)
gdpt (GameFAQs) vs. AK (IGN)
spies (UUSF) vs. Havak (Smogon)
Articuno64 (Smogon) vs. magicalmaster2001 (Smogon)
a2tarheel (GameFAQs) vs. Groudon80 (Groudon's Volcano)
Altmer_Bulbasaur (Smogon) vs. badbuiigan (GameFAQs)
TheNewGuy (Smogon) vs. Fog (Smogon)
WaterBomb (Smogon) vs. imperfectluck (PokeRealm)
Hot Nikkels (PokeRealm) vs. Mekkah (Smogon)
ThundaBolt (Smogon) vs. Fuzion (Smogon)
ShinySandslash vs. peter_pan (Smogon)
Basics (Groudon's Volcano) vs. Explodus (PokeRealm)
DemonScythe (Groudon's Volcano) vs. Cerberus (Smogon)
Sneaky_Sneasel vs. NZ-1337
jpchato (Smogon) vs. storm (PokeRealm)
Lesm46 (Smogon) vs. Loki (Smogon)
AfTeRsHoCk (PokeRealm) vs. Picollo (Animeg)
Arrowz (Smogon) vs. SSBM roy (UUSF)
Cless (Smogon) vs. haxubers (Smogon)
Master Yoda (IGN) vs. Devilkid (Smogon)
SpinDashMaster (Smogon) vs. Glalie (Smogon)
Sarenji (Smogon) vs. Warthog (Smogon)
chaos (Smogon) vs. bluelightstar (UUSF)
Steelicks (NetBattle) vs. Vineon (Smogon)
Cheesy Queso (UUSF) vs. Chaizen (Smogon)
bleep (Bleepland) vs. geeK (Smogon)
Eagle (Smogon) vs. Alper (Smogon)
0rz (UUSF) vs. Dare (PokeRealm)
Noobster (Smogon) vs. cookkirby (Smogon)
Acura (Smogon) vs. MoonlightShadow (Smogon)
havoc (Smogon) vs. Skslobkilla (Bleepland)
Atlas (Smogon) vs. Nowster (Nintendo NSider)
flyquaza (PalletTown) vs. Loyal Arcanine (None)
Bob the Builder (Smogon) vs. NNEM (Smogon)
Trey15 (Smogon) vs. SkarmBlissCounter (Smogon)
homsar (Smogon) vs. skarm (Smogon)
fm (Smogon) vs. TheDuzzMaster (Smogon)
Rock (None) vs. Pidgeot500 (Smogon)
choop (Smogon) vs. Somebody (UUSF)
Fool_Hi (IGN) vs. Roy (Smogon)
Dragon_Hawk (Smogon) vs. Eat My Short (Brasil Fórum Server)
DrunkPriest (Smogon) vs. Full Metal (Smogon)
Voodoo (Smogon) vs. Cole (Smogon)
WootyMcWoot (Groudon's Volcano) vs. Holyknight (Smogon)
MoP (Smogon) vs. yourtypicalnoob (IGN)
Floppy Disk (PokeRealm) vs. Aeolus (PokeRealm)
LSM (Groudon's Volcano) vs. pokemaniac15 (Smogon)
giga gaia 12 (Smogon) vs. psychup2034 (Marriland)
aeroshadow (Smogon) vs. Hill (Pokeland)
Pressure The Great (PokeRealm) vs. 180.ROGER (Smogon)
Kikuichimonji (Smogon) vs. 0_o (Smogon)
Doomsday vs. kongler (Smogon)
Dark Mewtwo1/Arcturus (Smogon) vs. Redwall
aragornbird (Smogon) vs. LS (Pokemon Daily)

PLEASE USE THE ROUND 1 PREDICTION TOPIC RATHER THAN POSTING PREDICTIONS HERE. THIS TOPIC IS FOR BATTLE RESULTS AND ARRANGING BATTLE TIMES ONLY.

havoc

pottlepalooza
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Spaced vs. kongler should be a highlight imo

ok mr. slob killer what time zone are you in

Articuno64

1 to 63 were taken
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
magicalmaster, i'm sure we'll have no trouble finding each other if we continue to frequent IRC often. I'd like to wait a little while to battle, as I am rusty and need to get back into the game a little first.

Skarm you do know you just included yourself in that whole spot light thing yeah? >_>

EDIT: basics, what time zone? Im in Scotland so if you're EST im.... 5 hours ahead of you?

I expect that I'll lose just because it's been too long since I've played RS...

peter_pan, what do you go by and when are you on/what timezone?

I go by Mecha Soul and I'm PST :x

awesome, i'm in a spotlighted battle and its against jackal . i'd rather lose to him than someone i never heard of. I'm sure we'll have no problem finding each other, good luck dude

Planning to battle Rock around 9PM EST tonight. =)

Just an idea, but (in the future) making players post their time zones would rock, too. You could post a link to a set that tells you what your zone is.

Aeolus

Bag
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Ok Floppy Disk, we need to arrange a time. I'm on Central Standard Time and on Christmas break, so we shouldn't have trouble finding a time.

Arkeis

(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
lol Basics predicted me to win. I dont know, I've been having bad luck lately. :(

Anyways, LS, I'm on like every day so whenever you want. I'm EST, btw.

cole said:
Why am i always paired against someone good in the first round?
i got paried with geek, who [from what i've heard] is really good.
my goal: to make it past first round

imperfectluck

Banned deucer.
Water, I am unavailable until Tuesday... after that, I'll be able to play just about any time reasonable for Eastern Time Zone.

lol "TheDuzzMaster" please pm me with times we can meet online, as i have never seen you online before

Vineon

Fleurdelysé
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I wanted to........ win

shoudnt have any trouble finding steelicks, I'll just call for a pizza and then we'll play our match.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)