Official Smogon Tournament #2 Round 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aeolus

Bag
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Gomez said:
No substitutes please. It's round 3, it's like giving someone a free pass to the top 32 out of 128. :[
I don't think I'd be the only one who this would piss off. :preach:

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
zeroality said:
I have to say that I disagree. I mean, I pmmed him ALMOST TWO WEEKS AGO asking to battle, he was like "nah not this weekend, next one."

Now he's asking for someone else (his previous round opponent) to battle in his place after he has KNOWN FOR TWO WEEKS that he needed to get this match done is just wrong.

I hope it isn't allowed.
So you are saying, that because he said he couldnt battle last weekend, ipl (are he and you the same person?) deserves a free pass into the next round?

Also he has only known for barely over a week who is opponent was going to be as IPL and AK had an extension for last round..

I am not running this tournament, and this isnt my decision, but when you consider that the ZFS vrs Altmer disqualification was over turned, it seems precedent is against you son..

Though I doubt it will matter, as LSM will only have 2 days to battle, and his track record hasnt been great so far!

Have a nice day.

Aeolus

Bag
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
It is such an odd situation being that Cheesy Queso didn't actually win his Round 2 match, but rather was advanced based on an arbitrary decision. If he wishes now that it was his opponent who had advanced (in his stead), it isn't all that unseemly for that particular substitution to be made. Although it is quite untimely since the deadline is less than 2 days away...the omnicient skarm will know what to do.

If you had been following the previous Smogon tournament thread (or the one before) then you would know that IPL has no access to NetBattle. So I'm battling in his stead, pasting him the log on messenger as the battle advances and he tells me what move to make. I'm also the one responsible for seeking out his opponents.

While I may be speaking for him, his opinions may differ but, I would like to think that after over a week of preparing for a certain opponent, to have it suddenly switch to another opponent with less than 48 hours before the deadline is pretty unfair. As far as I see it, this is all CQ's fault and IPL shouldn't have to bear penalty from it.

Another opponent shouldn't matter since a good battler doesn't rely on his opponent, he just play his own game rather focusing on an opponent.

I think like other rounds Cheesy vs IPL can be posponed till tuesday or later orso, like AK vs IPL, shouldn't cause problems would it?

Cerberus said:
Another opponent shouldn't matter since a good battler doesn't rely on his opponent, he just play his own game rather focusing on an opponent.
Are you suggesting that metagaming isn't a part of the Pokémon? Because if so, then uhh... you suck. It's very wise if you ask me for a player to make decisions based on the decisions he believes his opponent will make. That's what makes tourney matches so interesting IMO, rather than just random battles on Netbattle.

Sure, gearing your team towards your opponent is a good way to win (for example I would not use Magneton if I'm fighting, uh, say CrazyStarwolf, because I know her style is not involving Skarmory). But you should be able to build a team that does well overall, and not against just one player.

And still, if you see you got a different opponent, then rebuild your team if you're like that.

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
Ok, so I battled ZFS this morning in what was most people would call a luck free battle..
But basically luck free means that all the luck went my way, cause I took all the risks.

I don't think it was quite as good a game as our last (in the world cup), but I certainly enjoyed it.

I won 4-0.

Have a nice day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)