Official Smogon Doubles Tournament II - Top 32

Status
Not open for further replies.

Artwork by Blazenix
Welcome to the second edition of the Official Smogon Doubles Tournament! This year's format will be a Bo3 SS Doubles OU swiss tournament with a top cut, in which the winner walks away with the OSDT trophy
!

Rules & Tournament Format

General Tournament Rules

• This is a standard SS DOU tournament.
  • OSDT II will be a 10 round swiss tournament with a top cut of 32. After 10 rounds, the 28 players at 8-2 (with the Top 4 based on record > opponent's win percentage > opponent's opponent's win percentage receiving first round byes) or better will advance to a Top 32 Bo3 single elimination top cut.
    • Players will be automatically dropped when they hit three losses as they are no longer in contention for top cut.
    • Players will be assigned a random opponent out of the pool of players with the same record as you each round.
    • If you are paired against someone you have already played, alert a host immediately. There is no method to preventing this when making the pairings, so if it comes up the hosts will swap the players on the right with the pairing in question and the pairing above it.
  • Rounds will be Best of Three. You may switch teams in between battles of the same set.
  • [NEW] Matches must be played on the Smogon Tournaments Pokemon Showdown! server.
  • Replays are required and must be posted every round.
  • There are no extensions, so please get your games done on time.
  • Your hosts are TPP, emma, and zee. Please contact them or a Tournament Director with any questions.
  • Endless Battle Clause: Players cannot use any moveset on any Pokémon capable of intentionally causing an endless battle. Thus:
    • A Pokémon may not carry Recycle and hold a Leppa Berry in conjunction with Heal Pulse and Milk Drink, Moonlight, Morning Sun, Recover, Roost, Slack Off, Soft-Boiled, or Wish.
    • A Pokémon may not hold a Leppa Berry while carrying Recycle and Pain Split.
    • A Pokémon may not hold a Leppa Berry while carrying Recycle and Fling
  • Evasion Clause: Players cannot use the moves Double Team or Minimize.
  • OHKO Clause: Players cannot use the moves Fissure, Guillotine, Horn Drill, or Sheer Cold.
  • Species Clause: Players cannot have two Pokémon with the same Pokédex number on the same team.
  • Gravity Sleep Clause: Sleep moves with below one hundred percent accuracy may not be used in conjunction with Gravity.
  • Dynamax Clause: You cannot dynamax.
Activity Decisions / Coin Flips: In the event that there is an uncompleted match at the deadline, it will be coin flipped unless one or both of the players involved in the match specifically request an activity win and explain sufficiently why they deserve to win over their opponent. Attempting to schedule a battle is required in order to receive the win by activity. To make it clear that you are requesting an activity win when you post, you must open your post with "Activity Win Request" in bold.

For example, if you believe your opponent is making an unfair request and that they don't deserve the activity win over you, you can either make your own request or quote their post and explain why they don't deserve it. You should try to make your activity win request posts at least 24 hours before the deadline to give your opponent a reasonable opportunity to contest it with their own activity win request.

In case of disconnections, if you played in the SmogTours server, call a Tournament Director as soon as possible and we'll see about the possibility of having a rematch.

Prize

This year, in addition to the trophy, the winner will receive their choice of a custom avatar, claiming an inactive username on PS!, or choosing a custom color for their username on PS! courtesy of Zarel. The runner-up will be allowed to choose one of the two remaining prizes not chosen by the winner. [NEW] There will also be $200 cash prize!

Resources

Smogon Tournament Discord
Doubles OU Discord
Doubles OU Overview
Doubles OU Strategy Dex
Doubles OU Sample Teams
Doubles OU Viability Rankings
OSDT II Teams, Replays, and Usage Stats

Standings

1. Ninja (10-0, 62-23 (72.94%) Resistance)
2. Akaru Kokuyo (9-1, 69-24 (74.19%) Resistance)
3. Chris32156 (9-1, 60-24 (71.42%) Resistance)
4. fespy (9-1, 61-26 (70.11%) Resistance)
5. stax (9-1, 49-28 (63.64%) Resistance)
6. tob (8-2, 60-23 (72.29%) Resistance)
7. GenOne (8-2, 64-26 (71.11%) Resistance)
8. Tenzai (8-2, 58-25 (69.88%) Resistance)
9. MADARAAAA (8-2, 62-27 (69.66%) Resistance)
10. SMB (8-2, 60-27 (68.97%) Resistance)
11. umbry (8-2. 59-27 (68.60%) Resistance)
12. JRL (8-2, 60-28 (68.18%) Resistance)
13. Z Strats (8-2, 57-27 (67.86%) Resistance, 435-229 (65.51%) Opponent's Resistance)
14. Animus (8-2, 57-27 (67.86%) Resistance, 389-233 (62.54%) Opponent's Resistance)
15. RelicanthPrimal (8-2, 54-26 (67.50%) Resistance, 424-209 (66.98%) Opponenet's Resistance)
16. Shadowmonstr7 (8-2, 54-26 (67.50%) Resistance, 395-220 (64.23%) Opponent's Resistance)
17. shaian (8-2, 54-27 (66.67%) Resistance)
18. AuraRayquaza (8-2, 55-28 (66.27%) Resistance)
19. Ann nomina (8-2, 55-29 (65.47%) Resistance)
20. aim (8-2, 52-29 (64.20%) Resistance)
21. Failbor (8-2, 48-28 (63.16%) Resistance)
22. EternalSnowman (8-2, 48-29 (62.34%) Resistance)
23. Crunchman (8-2, 46-28 (62.16%) Resistance)
24. MichaelderBeste2 (8-2, 49-30 (62.03%) Resistance)
25. Lily (8-2, 47-29 (61.84%) Resistance)
26. Lemurro (8-2, 43-28 (60.56%) Resistance)
27. Givrix (8-2, 39-30 (56.52%) Resistance, 304-187 (61.91%) Opponent's Resistance)
28. Lucky-Sama (8-2, 39-30 (56.52%) Resistance, 270-191 (58.57%) Opponent's Resistance)

Round of 32

Ninja vs. Bye
Shadowmonstr7 vs. shaian
Tenzai vs. Lily
MADARAAAA vs. MichaelderBeste2
fespy vs. Bye
Z Strats vs. aim
stax vs. Lucky-Sama
JRL vs. Failbor
Akaru Kokuyo vs. Bye
RelicanthPrimal vs. AuraRayquaza
GenOne vs. Lemurro
SMB vs. Crunchman
Chris32156 vs. Bye
Animus vs. Ann nonima
tob vs. Givrix
umbry vs. EternalSnowman

Please read this guide if you're unsure how to schedule with your opponent! Alternatively, watch this video made by teal6:

Deadline: Sunday August 28th @ 9:00 PM GMT-4
EXTENSIONS ARE ALLOWED
SMOGTOURS IS MANDATORY

REPLAYS ARE MANDATORY

Last edited:

Lunar.

is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
DPL Champion
Since its play offs and I usually do long predictions for DOU tournaments anyway, I figured why not curse some players here too!

Ninja vs. Bye - Ninja went undefeated, bye doesn't stand a chance.
Shadowmonstr7 vs. shaian - Shaian has not had an easy run at all, winning against players like Para and Zeal, and looking fairly strong while doing it. Shadowmonstr7 may be a player you know a bit more about since they have had more results over time, but they definitely struggled in more recent rounds with some misplays. With that said I can see this going either way so it should be a close series!
Tenzai vs. Lily - I don't actually know too much about Lily's DOU and they didn't play too many mainers to get here, but that doesn't take away from the fact that they are still in playoffs which means their play has to be pretty strong. However, Tenzai has looked pretty strong this tournament and made it into the playoffs early being an x-1 until the last round. I have to go with Tenzai here due to my lack of knowledge on Lily.
MADARAAAA vs. MichaelderBeste2 - Another instance of mainer vs non-mainer. That doesn't take away from MB2 being a strong all around pokemon player, but Madara is someone who grinds this tier constantly so it's hard to bet against them here. Would love to be proven wrong though!
fespy vs. Bye - Too busy helping aim to prep for this match and will get destroyed.
Z Strats vs. aim - Aim has fespy support and has had strong showings, proving many times he know how to find the optimal win paths in a doubles setting. Sadly for Joey he is up again one of the best SS DOUers. Z Strats had a very impressive scl, securing the best record overall, and made it all the way to top 8 last year. There are very few people who I can predict against Z Strats.
stax vs. Lucky-Sama - The goat... Nah biased aside stax literally went x-1 and got the short end of the stick being the only one to not get a bye. Lucky-sama is another one of the many players I don't know much about, but in the end its hard to predict against an x-1 player who is arguably one of if not the best DOU player of all time.
JRL vs. Failbor - I hate saying this again and again but I do not know much about Failbor. Their opponents weren't mainers except for their two losses which makes it hard to predict them to win against another mainer. JRL started very strong this tournament but fell off a bit towards to end to just squeak by into play offs, but that doesn't take away from their skill. JRL is another top contender to get the trophy and this match should go their way.
Akaru Kokuyo vs. Bye - Congrats on the bye!
RelicanthPrimal vs. AuraRayquaza - This match is one of the two highlights of this round imo. Both solid players who have been in the tier for a while now. With that said, I do not know how much effort aray is actually putting into this tournament. With worlds being over though I'd expect them to take play offs more seriously so I could see some new teams come out of them this set. Relicanth on the other hand has improved very quickly and has the potential to make a pretty far run in these playoffs. I can see this going either way, and with worlds done it might even favor Aray more, but no matter what it'll be a good series!
GenOne vs. Lemurro - Lemurro has actually beat some decent players to get here! Even if I don't know them well I can tell they at least have a good concept of DOU and can put up a fight. However, GenOne has had one of the hardest runs in this tournament, going up against players like last years winner Nido-Rus, SCL best record holder Z Strats, and one of the best DOUers umbry, all to survive and clutch play offs. It's hard to predict GenOne to lose here after such a strong run so far, but lets see if Lemurro can pull another upset!
SMB vs. Crunchman - This is definitely the other highlight of the round. SMB made a crazy runback, having to beat out players at x-2 like actuarily and Enzonana to get here. Crunchman on the other hand had a strong run qualifying at x-1, losing to Chris#s to get knocked to this position the final round. Both are very strong players and this match will be great either way, but its hard to predict again arguably the best DOUer of all time while they are on such a roll.
Chris32156 vs. Bye - What do the numbers mean anyway?
Animus vs. Ann nonima - This match is very close. I think Ann is one of the most improved players in DOU, looking strong in their games and overall just being solid in most tournaments they join. However, Animus qualified while looking to do little to no prep and has also shown a lot of improvement over the years. With worlds done I think Animus will take play offs very seriously and prep hard. It can definitely go either way but I give the slightest edge to Animus.
tob vs. Givrix - Tob had a very strong start, beating players like umbry and lax to qualify x-1 into the last round where finally falling to stax. The set vs stax did look shaky but with a whole tournament of strong showings I cant let one bo3 take away from their abilities. Givrix is a little more unknown to me, starting x-2 very early on and having to claw their way back up. They didn't really fight a lot of mainers tbh so its hard to really tell how strong they truly are, but again their play has to be pretty solid to make play offs. I have to go with tob though, who has proven themselves a lot more this tournament.
umbry vs. EternalSnowman - Last but not least we have a very strong match. Umbry is one of the best DOUers ever, struggling a little this tournament but overall clutched up in the end to make playoffs while not prepping too heavily. ESM is a solid DOUer who was the lucky player to get the bye from tyo the final round. I do think ESM can put up a strong effort vs umbry but I think it would be crazy to predict against her here. Should be a fun set!

Fespy and shaian ruining the all left predictions..

Last edited:
Quick predicts, I’ll go more in depth next round:

Ninja (100) vs bye (0) - Ninja’s been super impressive this tour, bye’s in for a rough time.
Shadowmonstr7 (40) vs Shaian (60) - Shaian has had an excellent tour so far, beating a lot of big name players, but I could see Shadow’s eccentric teams giving them trouble. Shaian has just looked more solid though, so I’ll predict them to win, but I could definitely see Shadow pulling it off.
Tenzai (85) vs Lily (15) - Tenzai has played very well all tournament, beating yours truly, and just making good plays with solid team choices. I think for Lily making top cut is quite the achievement, and so Tenzai is favored here.
MADARAAAA (70) vs. MichaelderBeste2 (30)
- I think Michaelder has been one of the players that has best proven that singles players are able to pick up doubles and play at a high level, but I think Madaraaa has an edge in teambuilding. Madaraaa is also one of those players that almost always sees the correct line to victory, and I think that can sometimes be the hardest part for even those of us experienced at doubles.
fespy (100) vs. Bye (0) - Bye better prep for sand.
Z Strats (70) vs. aim (30) - This may be the match I’m most excited for. Z strats is obviously a good player, but I can’t wait to see what Fespy cooks up for aim here. While Aim has played solidly so far, pokemon is more about playing than building, so Z Strats definitely gets the bold.
stax (80) vs. Lucky-Sama (20) - Lucky-Sama has recently come on the scene and is really showing out, but it is unfortunate that they’re first top cut matchup is against one of the best DOUers of all time. I could see Lucky pulling it off if their prep is perfect and Stax decides to just show up, but Stax always just clicks the right move.
JRL (90) vs. Failbor (10) - I’m way too big of a fan of JRLs to vote against them in this matchup.
Akaru Kokuyo (100) vs. Bye (0) - Akaru has been balling recently, even winning classic, Bye has no shot here.
RelicanthPrimal (45) vs. AuraRayquaza (55) - This is the hardest matchup to predict I think. Relicanth is known for using eccentric teams, so if they get a solid matchup or two, they can definitely pull it off. AuraRayquaza is the opposite, usually bringing fairly standard stuff, but plays it extremely well. I think with VGC winding down for a bit, Aura may be able to focus more here and so I’ll predict them to win, but wouldn’t be surprised at all if it went the other way.
GenOne (70) vs. Lemurro (30) - Lemurro has had a breakout tournament and built a name for themselves, but GenOne is making art again, so you know they’re in their bag. The only question is how much will GenOne meme.
SMB (85) vs. Crunchman (15) - Tough matchup for Crunchman, who I also think may have exhausted themselves by standard social situations to be able to focus. SMB already went 4/4, so going 5/5 shouldn’t be too much more difficult.
Chris32156 (100) vs. Bye (0). Cinderrace broken.
Animus (40) vs. Ann nonima (60). These two players have seemingly been using a lot of the same teams, so I don’t know whether they’re close or just have access to similar teams, but it should make for an interesting matchup if they both know all of their opponent’s sets. I think Ann has had a slightly more impressive run, so I’ll bold them here.
tob (60) vs. Givrix (40) - Tob really showed out at the start and then slightly slowed, but still has had a great run. Givrix is a good player, but I think their interest wanes and leads them to bring meme teams. I think if Givrix were 100% invested and taking this seriously I would bold them, but who knows what they’ll bring.
umbry (60) vs. EternalSnowman (40). Normally I would absolutely rate Umbry as a heavy favorite in this matchup, but I think they struggle a bit into eccentric teams, and that’s often what the Snowman brings. I think as an underdog bringing unconventional stuff can be a good choice, so this will be an interesting one to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)