Official Smogon Doubles Tournament II - Top 16

Status
Not open for further replies.

Artwork by Blazenix
Welcome to the second edition of the Official Smogon Doubles Tournament! This year's format will be a Bo3 SS Doubles OU swiss tournament with a top cut, in which the winner walks away with the OSDT trophy
!

Rules & Tournament Format

General Tournament Rules

• This is a standard SS DOU tournament.
  • OSDT II will be a 10 round swiss tournament with a top cut of 32. After 10 rounds, the 28 players at 8-2 (with the Top 4 based on record > opponent's win percentage > opponent's opponent's win percentage receiving first round byes) or better will advance to a Top 32 Bo3 single elimination top cut.
    • Players will be automatically dropped when they hit three losses as they are no longer in contention for top cut.
    • Players will be assigned a random opponent out of the pool of players with the same record as you each round.
    • If you are paired against someone you have already played, alert a host immediately. There is no method to preventing this when making the pairings, so if it comes up the hosts will swap the players on the right with the pairing in question and the pairing above it.
  • Rounds will be Best of Three. You may switch teams in between battles of the same set.
  • [NEW] Matches must be played on the Smogon Tournaments Pokemon Showdown! server.
  • Replays are required and must be posted every round.
  • There are no extensions, so please get your games done on time.
  • Your hosts are TPP, emma, and zee. Please contact them or a Tournament Director with any questions.
  • Endless Battle Clause: Players cannot use any moveset on any Pokémon capable of intentionally causing an endless battle. Thus:
    • A Pokémon may not carry Recycle and hold a Leppa Berry in conjunction with Heal Pulse and Milk Drink, Moonlight, Morning Sun, Recover, Roost, Slack Off, Soft-Boiled, or Wish.
    • A Pokémon may not hold a Leppa Berry while carrying Recycle and Pain Split.
    • A Pokémon may not hold a Leppa Berry while carrying Recycle and Fling
  • Evasion Clause: Players cannot use the moves Double Team or Minimize.
  • OHKO Clause: Players cannot use the moves Fissure, Guillotine, Horn Drill, or Sheer Cold.
  • Species Clause: Players cannot have two Pokémon with the same Pokédex number on the same team.
  • Gravity Sleep Clause: Sleep moves with below one hundred percent accuracy may not be used in conjunction with Gravity.
  • Dynamax Clause: You cannot dynamax.
Activity Decisions / Coin Flips: In the event that there is an uncompleted match at the deadline, it will be coin flipped unless one or both of the players involved in the match specifically request an activity win and explain sufficiently why they deserve to win over their opponent. Attempting to schedule a battle is required in order to receive the win by activity. To make it clear that you are requesting an activity win when you post, you must open your post with "Activity Win Request" in bold.

For example, if you believe your opponent is making an unfair request and that they don't deserve the activity win over you, you can either make your own request or quote their post and explain why they don't deserve it. You should try to make your activity win request posts at least 24 hours before the deadline to give your opponent a reasonable opportunity to contest it with their own activity win request.

In case of disconnections, if you played in the SmogTours server, call a Tournament Director as soon as possible and we'll see about the possibility of having a rematch.

Prize

This year, in addition to the trophy, the winner will receive their choice of a custom avatar, claiming an inactive username on PS!, or choosing a custom color for their username on PS! courtesy of Zarel. The runner-up will be allowed to choose one of the two remaining prizes not chosen by the winner. [NEW] There will also be $200 cash prize!

Resources

Smogon Tournament Discord
Doubles OU Discord
Doubles OU Overview
Doubles OU Strategy Dex
Doubles OU Sample Teams
Doubles OU Viability Rankings
OSDT II Teams, Replays, and Usage Stats

Standings

1. Ninja (10-0, 62-23 (72.94%) Resistance)
2. Akaru Kokuyo (9-1, 69-24 (74.19%) Resistance)
3. Chris32156 (9-1, 60-24 (71.42%) Resistance)
4. fespy (9-1, 61-26 (70.11%) Resistance)
5. stax (9-1, 49-28 (63.64%) Resistance)
6. tob (8-2, 60-23 (72.29%) Resistance)
7. GenOne (8-2, 64-26 (71.11%) Resistance)
8. Tenzai (8-2, 58-25 (69.88%) Resistance)

9. MADARAAAA (8-2, 62-27 (69.66%) Resistance)
10. SMB (8-2, 60-27 (68.97%) Resistance)
11. umbry (8-2. 59-27 (68.60%) Resistance)
12. JRL (8-2, 60-28 (68.18%) Resistance)
13. Z Strats (8-2, 57-27 (67.86%) Resistance, 435-229 (65.51%) Opponent's Resistance)
14. Animus (8-2, 57-27 (67.86%) Resistance, 389-233 (62.54%) Opponent's Resistance)
15. RelicanthPrimal (8-2, 54-26 (67.50%) Resistance, 424-209 (66.98%) Opponenet's Resistance)

16. Shadowmonstr7 (8-2, 54-26 (67.50%) Resistance, 395-220 (64.23%) Opponent's Resistance)
17. shaian (8-2, 54-27 (66.67%) Resistance)
18. AuraRayquaza (8-2, 55-28 (66.27%) Resistance)
19. Ann nomina (8-2, 55-29 (65.47%) Resistance)
20. aim (8-2, 52-29 (64.20%) Resistance)
21. Failbor (8-2, 48-28 (63.16%) Resistance)
22. EternalSnowman (8-2, 48-29 (62.34%) Resistance)

23. Crunchman (8-2, 46-28 (62.16%) Resistance)
24. MichaelderBeste2 (8-2, 49-30 (62.03%) Resistance)
25. Lily (8-2, 47-29 (61.84%) Resistance)
26. Lemurro (8-2, 43-28 (60.56%) Resistance)
27. Givrix (8-2, 39-30 (56.52%) Resistance, 304-187 (61.91%) Opponent's Resistance)
28. Lucky-Sama (8-2, 39-30 (56.52%) Resistance, 270-191 (58.57%) Opponent's Resistance)

Round of 16

Ninja vs. Shadowmonstr7
Lily vs. MADARAAAA
fespy vs. aim
Lucky-Sama vs. JRL
Akaru Kokuyo vs. AuraRayquaza
Lemurro vs. Crunchman
Chris32156 vs. Ann nonima
tob vs. umbry

Please read this guide if you're unsure how to schedule with your opponent! Alternatively, watch this video made by teal6:

Deadline: Sunday September 4th @ 9:00 PM GMT-4
EXTENSIONS ARE ALLOWED
SMOGTOURS IS MANDATORY

REPLAYS ARE MANDATORY

Calling Activity. Opponent missed scheduled time; we agredeed 4 PM -5 and didnt show up, was waiting 1 hour+ at 5:10 i have an important meeting so i can't the rest of today. He suggested an extension to this tuesday but i've been really clear on my initial post that it is impossible for me to play on weekdays due to work+college.

Lunar.

is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
DPL Champion
I think I cursed most of the players that I predicted to win last round LOL, one even getting the timezone wrong by an hour to get an activity loss.. But that wont stop me. Good luck to anyone I predict to win you're going to need it!

Ninja vs. Shadowmonstr7 - Shadowmonstr7 looked very strong last week but I'm going to put faith in the 10-0 player. Byes do tend to hurt more than help in these styles of tournaments though, as winning a top cut game can give confidence that can be tournament changing. This series can definitely go either way.
Lily vs. MADARAAAA - Lily brought similar HO teams to what got her into play offs. Madara brought some more unique teams and in general did look slightly stronger. I could see Madara getting caught off guard and getting run through by HO, but with public replays I'd lean more towards Madara being more prepared and outplaying overall.
fespy vs. aim - Fespy has been bragging about helping aim prep this whole tournament so this match is just too funny. Aim looked strong vs Z Strats last week, positioning well vs more unorthodox teams. Aim cant rely on Fespy prep this week though, so this week may come down to if aim can pull out strong enough teams to force a straight up game against one of the better SS DOUers.
Lucky-Sama vs. JRL - Lucky-sama did in fact get fairy lucky last week vs stax, but there was still solid play to put them in positions to win. JRL brought the same 6 pokemon 3 times in a row which caught everyone by surprise. I think this is a sign that JRL does not build and instead reuses teams, but I don't know enough about Lucky-sama to assume they will be able to prep into winning match ups.
Akaru Kokuyo vs. AuraRayquaza - This one is difficult.. Akaru has looked very strong lately while Aray struggled a bit to get into play offs but made quick work of Relicanth last round. Aray does have the winning in play offs already buff, but I think the x-1 will pull it out here.
Lemurro vs. Crunchman - Lemurro vs GenOne is probably one of the most confusing series I've ever watched, and I've been around for a long time. The team choices might be able to throw off Crunchman here, but lets be real, Crunch beat SMB last round 2-0. Going with Crunch here.
Chris32156 vs. Ann nonima - I have no clue what to expect here. Chris# got a bye at x-1 while Ann got a bye from their opponent not showing up. I am going to just go with Chris# since they did better in swiss, but to be honest this can go to either player.
tob vs. (umbry vs. EternalSnowman) - Tob looked a little shaky at first last week but managed to return to form and win very convincingly game 3. Umbry vs ESM has't happened yet but I still think umbry will win. That brings us to tob vs umbry, which happened in swiss where tob came out on top. Despite that I think with more time and taking this point of the tournament more seriously will lead to umbry getting her revenge.

Pretty sure I got like 3 predictions right last time, lesson learned I need to go for some upsets.

Ninja (70) vs Shadowmonstr7 (30) - Shadowmonstr7 beat Shaian, loading up into two great matchups, sand vs Shaian’s sun, and Hard Trick Room vs Shaian’s whimsicott HO. This isn’t to discredit them, getting good matchups usually indicates great prep work. Shadow is one of the hardest players to predict (I always get them wrong) often winning upset matchups, so I could see them pulling off the upset here. Ninja is coming off a bye, and they’ve looked dominant so far, so it’s hard to vote against them. I think if they just bring something solid they’ll be be favorite, but it could go the other way.

Lily (35) vs Madaraaaa (65) - At first seeing this matchup, my thought was that Lily could pull off another win, seeing as she’s just beaten Tenzai, and I think Madaraaaa and Tenzai ofte have similar teams and playstyles. But at closer analysis, she did have two really strong matchups in both her wins. She loaded up ID Ferrothorn & Tsareena rain into a fake out set up team, which is an ideal matchup. Then loaded up psyspam into a terrainless team with no steel roller Metagross, another perfect matchup. But hey, perfect matchups often mean perfect prep work, so props to Lily. Madaraaaa on the other hand played the uno reverse card, bringing sun psyspam TR after the opponent did that game 1. I do think Madaraaaa is the better doubles player here, so I think if they bring something balanced that adequately checks everything, they should be the favorite.

Fespy (60) vs Aim (40) - This matchup is a crime against humanity. Fespy supplying Aim with teams, leading Aim to make it this far without much doubles experience has been the best storyline of the tournament. To make them play each other before the finals is more rigged than a North Korean election. That being said, Fespy gets my vote, as they know the ins and outs of every one of Aim’s teams. On the other hand, Aim has played extremely well to get this far, so I still expect this matchup to be very close.

Lucky-Sama (35) vs JRL (65) - JRL pulled a power move last round, bringing Fespy sand 3x, which showed their belief that they were the better player in the matchup. I think they’ll have to dig a little deeper in the builder for this round, but I know they’ve got a lot more on deck. Lucky-Sama had a very impressive win over Stax, utilizing hazard stack in both of their wins. I think that was an excellent pick, as Stax is known for their bulky balance teams, so Lucky-Sama has proven they can make good team picks. The issue here for them is that JRL uses a good variety of teams (3x sand nonwithstanding), and knows how to play into hazard stack. So I’ll favor JRL here, but Lucky-Sama has had a breakout tournament and I’m excited to see what they’re able to accomplish going forward.

Akaru Kokoyu (55) vs Aurarayquaza (45) - My favorite matchup this round, two longtime DOUers both playing extremely well. Aurarayquaza mad quick work of last round, playing extremely optimally and putting themself into strong positions early, and punishing every possible play their opponent had. Akaru has been on fire recently, winning Classic and then earning themself the bye in the top cut. I think Aura likes to re-use a little too much, and I know the level of prep & support Akaru is going to get here, so I will bold Akaru, but this is as close as it can get.

Lemurro (40) vs Crunchman (60) - Lemurro has arguably been the surprise of the tournament, having a great run, culminating with a strong win over GenOne. They had a perfect matchup in g3, loading up psyspam into terrainless, steel roller-less rain, the ideal matchup for psyspam. But they still played well in both their other games, bringing a very interesting chansey-suicune team that was able to slowly pick apart GenOne’s hyper offense team. Crunchman is coming off arguably the most impressive win of the tournament, defeating SMB in two games. G1 was a pretty good matchup, loading up rain into triple fake out hazard stack. But as someone who has played this exact matchup dozens of times, they executed it the way they needed to. G2 was another favorable matchup, but I think their play was a bit rocky here, on t1 despite sniping the Naga with a surprise scarf Kyu-b, they needlessly sacked their Heatran, leaving them extremely weak to CB Ferrothorn. However they managed to pull off the win with some good fortune, and their matchup has actually gotten better the deeper they go. I’ll favorite Crunchman here, who may have something to prove after getting a SCL snub.

Chris32156 (75) vs. Ann nonima (25) - This is the wildcard game. Neither played last round, as Chris was coming off a bye and Ann won on activity, but both have played well all tournament. I like Chris’ eccentric building here, I think they’re also excellent at getting themselves into good offensive positions. Ann did win two rounds ago in an impressive set vs Yoda, in g3 once again loading up psyspam into terrain-less and steel roller-less rain, giving them a great matchup. (anyone seeing a pattern?! Prep for psyspam in the builder ya’ll) I think it’ll take some similar matchups here to win as Chris has looked very strong all tournament.

tob vs. (umbry vs. EternalSnowman) - TBD will update when we know this matchup.

Lily

wouldn't that be fine, dear
is a Tutoris a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnus
UU Leader
not to be cringe making a shoutout post for a tour i didn't come all that close to winning lol but i just wanna thank umbry for getting me into this tier and providing me with teams/prep help all tour, i definitely was not expecting to go nearly as far as i did and i had a ton of fun :D
gl to all remaining participants, im rooting for either umbry or joey to win but everyone is strong and nobody would be undeserving

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)