Official Smogon Doubles Tournament II - Quarterfinals

Status
Not open for further replies.

emma

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past SCL Champion
DPL Champion

Artwork by Blazenix
Welcome to the second edition of the Official Smogon Doubles Tournament! This year's format will be a Bo3 SS Doubles OU swiss tournament with a top cut, in which the winner walks away with the OSDT trophy
!

Rules & Tournament Format

General Tournament Rules

• This is a standard SS DOU tournament.
  • OSDT II will be a 10 round swiss tournament with a top cut of 32. After 10 rounds, the 28 players at 8-2 (with the Top 4 based on record > opponent's win percentage > opponent's opponent's win percentage receiving first round byes) or better will advance to a Top 32 Bo3 single elimination top cut.
    • Players will be automatically dropped when they hit three losses as they are no longer in contention for top cut.
    • Players will be assigned a random opponent out of the pool of players with the same record as you each round.
    • If you are paired against someone you have already played, alert a host immediately. There is no method to preventing this when making the pairings, so if it comes up the hosts will swap the players on the right with the pairing in question and the pairing above it.
  • Rounds will be Best of Three. You may switch teams in between battles of the same set.
  • [NEW] Matches must be played on the Smogon Tournaments Pokemon Showdown! server.
  • Replays are required and must be posted every round.
  • There are no extensions, so please get your games done on time.
  • Your hosts are TPP, emma, and zee. Please contact them or a Tournament Director with any questions.
  • Endless Battle Clause: Players cannot use any moveset on any Pokémon capable of intentionally causing an endless battle. Thus:
    • A Pokémon may not carry Recycle and hold a Leppa Berry in conjunction with Heal Pulse and Milk Drink, Moonlight, Morning Sun, Recover, Roost, Slack Off, Soft-Boiled, or Wish.
    • A Pokémon may not hold a Leppa Berry while carrying Recycle and Pain Split.
    • A Pokémon may not hold a Leppa Berry while carrying Recycle and Fling
  • Evasion Clause: Players cannot use the moves Double Team or Minimize.
  • OHKO Clause: Players cannot use the moves Fissure, Guillotine, Horn Drill, or Sheer Cold.
  • Species Clause: Players cannot have two Pokémon with the same Pokédex number on the same team.
  • Gravity Sleep Clause: Sleep moves with below one hundred percent accuracy may not be used in conjunction with Gravity.
  • Dynamax Clause: You cannot dynamax.
Activity Decisions / Coin Flips: In the event that there is an uncompleted match at the deadline, it will be coin flipped unless one or both of the players involved in the match specifically request an activity win and explain sufficiently why they deserve to win over their opponent. Attempting to schedule a battle is required in order to receive the win by activity. To make it clear that you are requesting an activity win when you post, you must open your post with "Activity Win Request" in bold.

For example, if you believe your opponent is making an unfair request and that they don't deserve the activity win over you, you can either make your own request or quote their post and explain why they don't deserve it. You should try to make your activity win request posts at least 24 hours before the deadline to give your opponent a reasonable opportunity to contest it with their own activity win request.

In case of disconnections, if you played in the SmogTours server, call a Tournament Director as soon as possible and we'll see about the possibility of having a rematch.

Prize

This year, in addition to the trophy, the winner will receive their choice of a custom avatar, claiming an inactive username on PS!, or choosing a custom color for their username on PS! courtesy of Zarel. The runner-up will be allowed to choose one of the two remaining prizes not chosen by the winner. [NEW] There will also be $200 cash prize!

Resources

Smogon Tournament Discord
Doubles OU Discord
Doubles OU Overview
Doubles OU Strategy Dex
Doubles OU Sample Teams
Doubles OU Viability Rankings
OSDT II Teams, Replays, and Usage Stats

Standings

1. Ninja (10-0, 62-23 (72.94%) Resistance)
2. Akaru Kokuyo (9-1, 69-24 (74.19%) Resistance)
3. Chris32156 (9-1, 60-24 (71.42%) Resistance)
4. fespy (9-1, 61-26 (70.11%) Resistance)
5. stax (9-1, 49-28 (63.64%) Resistance)
6. tob (8-2, 60-23 (72.29%) Resistance)
7. GenOne (8-2, 64-26 (71.11%) Resistance)
8. Tenzai (8-2, 58-25 (69.88%) Resistance)

9. MADARAAAA (8-2, 62-27 (69.66%) Resistance)
10. SMB (8-2, 60-27 (68.97%) Resistance)
11. umbry (8-2. 59-27 (68.60%) Resistance)

12. JRL (8-2, 60-28 (68.18%) Resistance)
13. Z Strats (8-2, 57-27 (67.86%) Resistance, 435-229 (65.51%) Opponent's Resistance)
14. Animus (8-2, 57-27 (67.86%) Resistance, 389-233 (62.54%) Opponent's Resistance)
15. RelicanthPrimal (8-2, 54-26 (67.50%) Resistance, 424-209 (66.98%) Opponenet's Resistance)
16. Shadowmonstr7 (8-2, 54-26 (67.50%) Resistance, 395-220 (64.23%) Opponent's Resistance)
17. shaian (8-2, 54-27 (66.67%) Resistance)
18. AuraRayquaza (8-2, 55-28 (66.27%) Resistance)

19. Ann nomina (8-2, 55-29 (65.47%) Resistance)
20. aim (8-2, 52-29 (64.20%) Resistance)
21. Failbor (8-2, 48-28 (63.16%) Resistance)
22. EternalSnowman (8-2, 48-29 (62.34%) Resistance)

23. Crunchman (8-2, 46-28 (62.16%) Resistance)
24. MichaelderBeste2 (8-2, 49-30 (62.03%) Resistance)
25. Lily (8-2, 47-29 (61.84%) Resistance)
26. Lemurro (8-2, 43-28 (60.56%) Resistance)
27. Givrix (8-2, 39-30 (56.52%) Resistance, 304-187 (61.91%) Opponent's Resistance)
28. Lucky-Sama (8-2, 39-30 (56.52%) Resistance, 270-191 (58.57%) Opponent's Resistance)

Top 8

Ninja vs. MADARAAAA
fespy vs. JRL
Akaru Kokuyo vs. Crunchman
Ann nonima vs. tob

Please read this guide if you're unsure how to schedule with your opponent! Alternatively, watch this video made by teal6:

Deadline: Sunday September 11th @ 9:00 PM GMT-4
EXTENSIONS ARE ALLOWED
SMOGTOURS IS MANDATORY

REPLAYS ARE MANDATORY

Got all my predictions right last round except for one, so you may now refer to me as a predictions expert:

Ninja (55) vs Madaraaaa (45) - Madaraaaa managed to beat Lily, with a dominating performance in game 3, and I’d say each game were fairly even matchups. It’s gonna take more games like that third one to beat the undefeated Ninja. They managed to beat Shadowmonstr7, in game 1 loading up dd zygarde into no ground resists (I’m pretty sure Ninja brought My teambuilder competition team which isn’t serious and in no way should be brought in top 16 of OSDT, but I guess it did win). In g2, Ninja lost bringing a team whose fastest Pokémon was…. Metagross? Rillaboom? And unsurprisingly this team lost to offense, as it wasn’t able to apply pressure to get up Trick Room. G3 they brought a cool coaching + dd Dragapult team that managed to narrowly win to finish the set. I think they’ll need to bring more solid teams like g3, and if they do so this matchup should be very close. I’ll pick Ninja just because they’ve been dominant so far, but if Madaraaaa simply brings better teams they could definitely pull off the upset.

Fespy (60) vs JRL (40) - This is an interesting matchup, especially since I believe they both share teams. I suspect JRL will not bring Fespy sand 3x this week. Fespy managed to defeat his doubles Padawan in 2 games, playing well, however I wasn’t super impressed with their team choices. In g1 they brought dracovish sand, despite dracozolt being the superior sand rush mon, and a better fit as far as I can tell, and it nearly cost them. G2 they brought what appears to be an adaptation of a Paraplegic CM Suicune team, which I don’t think CM Suicune is a great wincon in a format with Volcanion, but the team did seem to have multiple answers to volcanion (assuming t bolt genesect). JRL on the other hand looked strong in their two wins over Lucky-Sama, bringing a cool Tornadus team in g1 (I feel like the team should have been eject button fini instead of Rillaboom, but it worked out). G2 they went the opposite way bringing a Fullroom team with Pheromosa, which was a cool pick. I think Fespy’s teams generally do well into these HO style picks JRL went with, so it’ll be interesting to see what they choose for this matchup. I think Fespy has won the last matchup in a seasonal, so I will give them the slight edge in this set.

Akaru Kokoyu (70) vs Crunchman (30) - Akaru looked strong in their games vs AuraRayquaza, playing to their outs extremely well, winning what I thought was the toughest matchup in the last round. Crunchman made quick work of Lemurro, despite bringing that same team as Ninja that isn’t running a Pokémon faster than… 206 speed? But it worked out as Lemurro’s team had a very shaky TR matchup, and muddy water is a very unfortunate move. Akaru has been playing just extremely well recently and bringing good teams, so I expect them to pull this one off.

Ann Nomina (65) vs Tob (35) - Ann Nomina expertly used DD Zygarde twice in their games vs Chris into two teams that have very shaky Zygarde matchups, which I attribute to good preparation. Tob’s g1 team was well built and even better played, but could have been a little shakier if it loaded up into kingdra rain as opposed to just urshifu. G2 they brought a stall team that didn’t seem to have a DD Kyu-b matchup, but thankfully it loaded up into a very favorable matchup vs a slow team that t spikes was able to decimate. I’m done doubting Ann Nomina, and if they prep as well as they did last round they will take this. That’s not to take away from Tob’s extremely impressive run though.

Ninja vs. MADARAAAA - Both had solid performances last week with some shaky plays but overall were the better players. I rate Madara slightly higher than Ninja, but 11-0 means something right? Should be fun and I could see it going either way.

fespy vs. JRL - This to me will decide who wins the tournament. Fespy has been very solid in both play and building the later half of SS DOU. JRL is much weaker in building, but I'd say a bit better in terms of play. Pokemon is usually won in the builder when the players are high level, and because of that I have to go with Fespy. Close series too though!

Akaru Kokuyo vs. Crunchman - This pairing is also in contention to win it all tbh. Akaru has had an amazing run in DOU recently, performing at a high level and winning circuit tournaments too. Crunch is a very solid player who can take games off anyone, but definitely looked shaky last week and got fairly lucky to close out the series early. I feel Akaru looked better last week and overall, so I'll go with them.

Ann nonima vs. tob - Tob has looked very impressive this tournament, beating umbry last week in a very strong showing. That said, I think Ann has looked very strong too and I am very high on their team choices so far. I think Ann will win in the builder and be able to take this one, but tob definitely has potential to outplay!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)